Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Borland, Ryan Shazier, or Shayne Skrov?

All three of these guys could definitely be available in the 2nd or maybe even in the 3rd round. Our ILB depth definitely needs help and I feel as though Grigson will look towards filling these spots early in the draft. If this were the case which of these three would you rather have?

Idk why but Im drawn to Skrov. Watched him a lot at Stanford, kid was a monster. Really liked his motor.

Thoughts?

Go colts.

Borland and Skov is a toss up for me. They both don't have much range and limited athleticism. I'd probably go with Skov because the difference between him and Borland isn't that much, but Skov would likely only cost a 3rd as opposed to Borland costing a 2nd.

Shazier doesn't really have a place in our defense. He's pretty small (6'2" ~225 lbs). Built more like a safety than a LB. More suited as an OLB in a 43. 

Borland and Skov is a toss up for me. They both don't have much range and limited athleticism. I'd probably go with Skov because the difference between him and Borland isn't that much, but Skov would likely only cost a 3rd as opposed to Borland costing a 2nd.

Shazier doesn't really have a place in our defense. He's pretty small (6'2" ~225 lbs). Built more like a safety than a LB. More suited as an OLB in a 43. 

I think Skov would fit our defense better at Sam than on the inside.

I think Skov would fit our defense better at Sam than on the inside.

Maybe, I hadn't thought of that. He is a pretty good pass rusher from what I've seen and putting him their would limit his use in coverage. 

Tho (if we were to draft him), with Walden still on the roster, he would probably play on the inside for his first year or 2 and move over when Walden is gone. 

Maybe, I hadn't thought of that. He is a pretty good pass rusher from what I've seen and putting him their would limit his use in coverage. 

Tho (if we were to draft him), with Walden still on the roster, he would probably play on the inside for his first year or 2 and move over when Walden is gone. 

Probably. I don't like him at ILB because of his coverage. I'd like for us to get our hands on Van Noy and play him in a similar role (ILB/Sam hybrid), until Walden is gone. The difference is that Van Noy excels in coverage, and could stay on the field every down. 

All three of these guys could definitely be available in the 2nd or maybe even in the 3rd round. Our ILB depth definitely needs help and I feel as though Grigson will look towards filling these spots early in the draft. If this were the case which of these three would you rather have?

Idk why but Im drawn to Skrov. Watched him a lot at Stanford, kid was a monster. Really liked his motor.

Thoughts?

Go colts.

Shazier is a smallish 4-3 OLB...   he is compared to LaVonte David, an OLB from Nebraska who plays the Will for Tampa in their 4-3.

Not sure why anyone views Skov as a SAM?    Best of my knowledge, that's the strongside outside backer and you've got to be able to handle space and that's not what Skov's strength is...    Superman is by no means the first Colts fan here to float the idea.

The kid is either a 3-4 ILB or a 4-3 MLB.   Skov is a 2-down run stuffer.   He can blitz from the inside...   he can roam sideline to sideline,  but he's going to get exposed the more space he's forced to play in...   Recently saw one write-up on him that said they weren't sure if he had yet completely healed from his 2011 knee injury?

If Bulluogh is around when we pick in the 5th, I'd be thrilled to get him there.

OR....   if we trade back and collect picks, then perhaps we take him either in the 4th (where we don't currently have a pick) or at the top of the 5th...    doubt he lasts to the bottom of the 5th where we pick.

Shazier is a smallish 4-3 OLB...   he is compared to LaVonte David, an OLB from Nebraska who plays the Will for Tampa in their 4-3.

Not sure why anyone views Skov as a SAM?    Best of my knowledge, that's the strongside outside backer and you've got to be able to handle space and that's not what Skov's strength is...    Superman is by no means the first Colts fan here to float the idea.

The kid is either a 3-4 ILB or a 4-3 MLB.   He's a 2-down run stuffer.   He can blitz from the inside...   he can roam sideline to sideline,  but he's going to get exposed the more space he's forced to play in...   Recently saw one write-up on him that said they weren't sure if he had yet completely healed from his 2011 knee injury?

If Bulluogh is around when we pick in the 5th, I'd be thrilled to get him there.

OR....   if we trade back and collect picks, then perhaps we take him either in the 4th (where we don't currently have a pick) or at the top of the 5th...    doubt he lasts to the bottom of the 5th where we pick.

The Sam in our front doesn't handle space all that often. He plays the strongside and goes head up with the TE, FB or tackle when the ball comes his way. He rushes the passer 70-80% of passing downs, and the rest of the time he'll drop into coverage, usually from the hashes to the sideline. Requires good technique in space, but not a lot of range. And the majority of the time, he's coming toward the line of scrimmage, not away from it.

Based on Skov's abilities in the box and at the line of scrimmage, his ability to take on blocks and get past them, I think he'd be better at that role than he would be at ILB, where he's going to drop away from the line of scrimmage 60% of the time. He'd also have to cover more ground when in coverage, handling TEs up the seam, RBs to the flats, slot receivers, etc. To me, playing him at Sam in our front would minimize his liabilities and maximize his strengths. He'd probably be better than Walden at that role because Skov knows how to find the ball carrier and/or QB.

JMO

I'm not that big a fan of drafting Skov, Bullough or Borland. Haven't looked at Shazier because, as has been mentioned, he's a Will backer in a 4-3, shouldn't even be on our radar. 

I like Skov myself. Like others have said he isn't great in coverage, but is good against the run. I also like Carl Bradford as a ILB. He will probably be a two down run stopper similar to Brandon Spikes. I wouldn't mind any of Skov, Smallwood, Jones, Bradford, or Borland, but If Grigs wants someone who is good in coverage it will be Smallwood or Jones.

The Sam in our front doesn't handle space all that often. He plays the strongside and goes head up with the TE, FB or tackle when the ball comes his way. He rushes the passer 70-80% of passing downs, and the rest of the time he'll drop into coverage, usually from the hashes to the sideline. Requires good technique in space, but not a lot of range. And the majority of the time, he's coming toward the line of scrimmage, not away from it.

Based on Skov's abilities in the box and at the line of scrimmage, his ability to take on blocks and get past them, I think he'd be better at that role than he would be at ILB, where he's going to drop away from the line of scrimmage 60% of the time. He'd also have to cover more ground when in coverage, handling TEs up the seam, RBs to the flats, slot receivers, etc. To me, playing him at Sam in our front would minimize his liabilities and maximize his strengths. He'd probably be better than Walden at that role because Skov knows how to find the ball carrier and/or QB.

JMO

I'm not that big a fan of drafting Skov, Bullough or Borland. Haven't looked at Shazier because, as has been mentioned, he's a Will backer in a 4-3, shouldn't even be on our radar. 

If we were talking about the Skov before his knee injury,  then I'd be completely in favor of it.   Of course,  that Skov would likely not fall to 59.    So, it cuts both ways.

What's your objection to Bullough?   I thought he's considered a solid Mike?   Isn't that what so many here want?    What am I missing?

Borland is going to go in the 2nd round and I don't want to spend our two on an ILB.    That was part of the appeal to me for Bullough.    He'll go later.

If we were talking about the Skov before his knee injury,  then I'd be completely in favor of it.   Of course,  that Skov would likely not fall to 59.    So, it cuts both ways.

What's your objection to Bullough?   I thought he's considered a solid Mike?   Isn't that what so many here want?    What am I missing?

Borland is going to go in the 2nd round and I don't want to spend our two on an ILB.    That was part of the appeal to me for Bullough.    He'll go later.

Bullough has no range. It's painful to watch, really. 

Why the aversion to an ILB in the 2nd?  I assume it's because we are low on picks and you have higher priorities....but a pick is a pick once players start falling...  Just curious what your strategic thoughts are, and know that you have pretty solid thinking behind your reasons from past experience. 

I like Skov overall, partially though because of the better scheme fit and him being available to us in the 2nd, but Yawin Smallwood might just be the best value out of them all if we could nab him in the 3rd.

I prefer Smallwood, especially since he might be there in the third. Might work out perfectly in a trade down scenario.

Why the aversion to an ILB in the 2nd?  I assume it's because we are low on picks and you have higher priorities....but a pick is a pick once players start falling...  Just curious what your strategic thoughts are, and know that you have pretty solid thinking behind your reasons from past experience. 

I'd like to spend my 2 and 3 on players more likely to be involved in impact plays.

A DE who can rush the passer.    A corner or Safety who can intercept/knock down a pass.

I've always liked inside linebackers who were more more brains,  braun and heart, than athletic ability.    I want to use our two higher picks on athletes.    I like athletes at he outside LB positions.   That's why I question Skov playing on the outside.   Not explosive enough.   While he's good rushing the QB,  that's a relative view.   He's good at it from the ILB position.   I doubt he'd be good at it from the OLB, because I doubt he's athletic enough to get past any decent OT... 

Since I don't think you can draft athletes at all 22 positions, then I try to find over-achievers for positions like ILB and the 3 interior 0-lineman...    though I'd go higher for one of them if I thought someone special was worth a 2/3....   I was fine with Thornton with our 3 last year...   and Holmes at the 4...   But,  I'd like not to go that same route back to back years....

I'd like to spend my 2 and 3 on players more likely to be involved in impact plays.

A DE who can rush the passer.    A corner or Safety who can intercept/knock down a pass.

I've always liked inside linebackers who were more more brains,  braun and heart, than athletic ability.    I want to use our two higher picks on athletes.    I like athletes at he outside LB positions.   That's why I question Skov playing on the outside.   Not explosive enough.   While he's good rushing the QB,  that's a relative view.   He's good at it from the ILB position.   I doubt he'd be good at it from the OLB, because I doubt he's athletic enough to get past any decent OT... 

Since I don't think you can draft athletes at all 22 positions, then I try to find over-achievers for positions like ILB and the 3 interior 0-lineman...    though I'd go higher for one of them if I thought someone special was worth a 2/3....   I was fine with Thornton with our 3 last year...   and Holmes at the 4...   But,  I'd like not to go that same route back to back years....

I think I follow, but also wonder if the need to defend athletic QB's one week and pinpoint passers the next doesn't swing the pendulum back toward athletic ability with that grit you desire.

I don't think either is worth a 2nd

I don't think any of the ILB's are worth a second. Watch, when the 3rd round comes, there's going to be a Linebacker sweepstakes. That's why it makes more sense to trade down from the 2nd into the early-middle 3rd. People just really want a coverage linebacker but I'd rather have and impact player at another position. Get a ILB in the 5th. Maybe 6th if we don't trade that pick away.

Definitely no to Skov.  I don't think he's even worth a 2nd.  His big, slow, and nothing about him really stands out. Throw in an injury history, and I'm ruling thsi guy out.  Borland and Shazier might be okay but have some of the same issues (to a lesser degree) as Skov, but at this point, neither are worth a 2nd round in my opinion.

I like Superman's suggestion as to Van Noy, at least if we're going to take a risk on a guy with an injury history, it might as well be someone drafted later in the draft with solid starter upside, and I think Van Noy could be available when we're on the clock in the 3rd.  Depends on the combine.

I personally like Max Bullough from MSU.

What do you guys think of Carl Bradford as a ILB?

He's undersized for a Sam, which is what he played.  Because that is the case, I'm not really sure how he is in coverage.  It would be a gamble, so like anything else, if he falls late enough, why not?  I just don't think that he will fall far enough for us to gamble on him as an ILB before someone that needs an OLB snatches him up.