Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hugh Thornton

ztboiler

No topic around here carries as much emotion as fixing the OLine.  While many (certainly not all) seem resigned to the reality that Thornton will be penciled in as a starter next year, I am surprised that there isn't more excitement about him.  For his position, he is the athletic equivalent of the 6'4" receiver with speed that we all covet.  He has the body type, strength, movement skills and mean streak to be a 10+ year starter and perennial pro bowler.  It seems that because he played like a rookie in his rookie year on an OLine that continues to have issues, most consider him part of the problem, not part of the answer.  

If he were a receiver with same relative potential, we'd all be jumping up and down like we had a key spot on the roster locked down for 10 years.  The Oline won't be fixed in a sustainable way that enables us to compete with a balanced roster unless guys as talented as Thornton are given every chance to reach their potential.  

I like Thornton. We need to move him to his more natural position as Right Guard though.

Agreed. Strictly speaking, he was average last year. As a rookie, we shouldn't have expected much more. He sometimes looked good, but he also missed his share of assignments. That should get better with experience.

The most important point to make is that if he's playing next to a good C, his play will improve dramatically.

Agreed. Strictly speaking, he was average last year. As a rookie, we shouldn't have expected much more. He sometimes looked good, but he also missed his share of assignments. That should get better with experience.

The most important point to make is that if he's playing next to a good C, his play will improve dramatically.

Exactly, I'd love to see what a center like Alex Mack could do for our O-line. Not only does he have excellent physical attributes, he also possess a great understanding for the game, which i feel like satelle does not have. So just having Mack call the blocking scheme will improve every single lineman on our roster.

I liked the pick when we made it.  I knew when he was forced to play Left Guard he was in for a challenge.  He handled the challenge well until pesky injuries limited his mobility.  That was when we saw his blocking deteriorate.  

Thornton has a mean streak that cannot be taught.  Get him to the right side as Lolly says above, and I will agree with the OP.  He can and will be a mauler and create havoc when he pulls.  

We should snag us an OG or 2 via the draft...FA center and we should be OK if Donald Thomas is ready on the left.  Nice Post ztboiler.

No topic around here carries as much emotion as fixing the OLine.  While many (certainly not all) seem resigned to the reality that Thornton will be penciled in as a starter next year, I am surprised that there isn't more excitement about him.  For his position, he is the athletic equivalent of the 6'4" receiver with speed that we all covet.  He has the body type, strength, movement skills and mean streak to be a 10+ year starter and perennial pro bowler.  It seems that because he played like a rookie in his rookie year on an OLine that continues to have issues, most consider him part of the problem, not part of the answer.  

If he were a receiver with same relative potential, we'd all be jumping up and down like we had a key spot on the roster locked down for 10 years.  The Oline won't be fixed in a sustainable way that enables us to compete with a balanced roster unless guys as talented as Thornton are given every chance to reach their potential.  

I am definitely not resigned to this fact ... I hope he makes a big jump next season and becomes a top guard in the NFL.  But, I definitely did not see him perform at a level deserving being penciled in as the starter.  In fact I will be very disappointed if Grigson does not bring in a good FA OG to compete for a starting spot, and giving us a very good back up regardless of who wins the starting spot in the process. 

The one thing that I really like about Thornton is his effort.  There were many times during a long run or pass play that he seemed to be one of the first ones down there because he was trailing the play.  Hopefully experience, a change to RG, and a decent center will help him take a large leap in 2014.

Thronton didn't perform consistently enough last year. I'm hoping it's just because he was a rookie, had some nagging injuries, and played on the left side. This year if all that is fixed and he's starting we'll get a better read on what he could actually be. I think there is potential there with Thornton and it might be okay to pencil him in as a starter, but I'd still have some concerns for our O-line.

I still think we need to bring in a center and more depth at the O-line though. If we land Mack, B DLP, or EDS to play C plus Thornton and Thomas at G, and Cherilus, and Costanzo at T that's a much improved starting lineup over last year with McGlynn and Satele. But what happens if Thomas goes down again? What if Thornton doesn't make the jump we're expecting him to make? What if Costanzo went down? We'd be screwed.

I think we need to bring in someone to compete for a spot (probably Thornton's) and increase the depth.

Thornton showed flashes, but the bad outweighed the good last year. I am not saying he isn't good enough, I am just saying he isn't ready.

Thornton had a -15 PFF rating which was bottom 5 in the league i believe.

You Homers who want to say he was average are a waste.

He certainly lacked strength, and not unfair to joke did he EVER make his block picking up a stunt, he was miserable at it.
 He totally whiffed on many of his pulls, it was mind boggling at times how bad he missed.
 Can that stuff get fixed, sure. No doubt he will improve, and hopefully quickly.

He is Very athletic with plenty of foot speed. Hopefully whatever was hurting at the end of the year heals quickly so he can have a good off-season getting his body built up to the needed level. The sky is the limit for him. All up to him.

Our coaching staff will stick with him even if he is AWFUL. ;-)

He was bottom 5 at his position save for like 2 games. Let's hope it's the inexperience.

He was bottom 5 at his position save for like 2 games. Let's hope it's the inexperience.

Yes, but he wasn't exactly a high draft pick and he was learning a new position. Not to mention playing next to one of the worst centers in the league. As you said, he started to show improvement, he needs to keep it going. And we need a new C.

All that being said, I won't be upset if they draft another G in the third.

Speaking of that does anyone out there have full access to PFF's stuff, maybe you can provide the full PFF rankings for all the players the Colts played.

Cherilus. 12.2

Castonzo 11.8

mcglynn -23.4

Thornton -15.3

Satele -12.9

Linkenbach -8.1

Nixon -3.4

Reitz 5.1

Thomas 1.2

Holmes 0.3

For the regular season.

I honestly think Center is the only position on our O line we have to fix right now. Donald Thomas will be coming back to play LG, and Thornton will start at RG. Now we just need to get a very good center in free agency. I know nobody here like dishing out large money to one player, but I think if it's Alex Mack, it's worth it. We need to get this guy regardless of price. We have around 40 million cap I think. It's not like we're using all of our cap on one player. 

So Reitz graded out as our 3rd best lineman? This from a guy who only started 3 games? Ouch.

He can't stay healthy. I don't care how good you are, if you can't play you're not helping the team.

It's a shame, he has the talent and just needs more experience.

I hope Thornton plays better on the Right Side than he did on the left.

I think he looked over-matched as a rookie.   Thought the game looked too fast for him.   This is NOT uncommon for a rookie.  Doesn't mean he'll be a flop.    For right now, it only means he's a rookie.

But he's got to get better.

I wouldn't mind if he dropped some weight...   I think 334 is too much.   He looked sluggish to me.   I'd like to see him at 325.  While size is always important in the NFL,  so is movement.   And too many rookies come into the league thinking they need to gain weight and are overwhelmed by speed and quickness.

I'd like to see Thornton lose weight...  Chapman too...   Montori Hughes....   and even Trent Richardson.   I thought his best year at Alabama was his sophomore year when he played at 215.    I think he's at least a step slower at 225.  

I'm already concerned that this staff will make Werner too heavy to be effective.

I think he looked over-matched as a rookie.   Thought the game looked too fast for him.   This is NOT uncommon for a rookie.  Doesn't mean he'll be a flop.    For right now, it only means he's a rookie.

I wouldn't mind if he dropped some weight...   I think 334 is too much.   He looked sluggish to me.   I'd like to see him at 325.  While size is always important in the NFL,  so is movement.   And too many rookies come into the league thinking they need to gain weight and are overwhelmed by speed and quickness.

I'd like to see Thornton lose weight...  Chapman too...   Montori Hughes....   and even Trent Richardson.   I thought his best year at Alabama was his sophomore year when he played at 215.    I think he's at least a step slower at 225.  

I'm already concerned that this staff will make Werner too heavy to be effective.

I didn't think he looked sluggish at all. Honestly he looked very agile to me and he's a lean 335 lbs. I think he could easily carry more weight(not that I want him too) and still be our most athletic lineman. I'll admit there were times he looked over matched, but I think thats just do to inexperience more than anything. I've always heard from smart football people that O-line is a very tough position for rookie's to come in and make an immediate impact. I think the game will slow way down for him next season and he'll be on his way to being very good.

Thornton had a -15 PFF rating which was bottom 5 in the league i believe.

You Homers who want to say he was average are a waste.

He certainly lacked strength, and not unfair to joke did he EVER make his block picking up a stunt, he was miserable at it.

He totally whiffed on many of his pulls, it was mind boggling at times how bad he missed.

Can that stuff get fixed, sure. No doubt he will improve, and hopefully quickly.

He is Very athletic with plenty of foot speed. Hopefully whatever was hurting at the end of the year heals quickly so he can have a good off-season getting his body built up to the needed level. The sky is the limit for him. All up to him.

Our coaching staff will stick with him even if he is AWFUL. ;-)

To be fair his performance could light a fire under his butt this offseason. I see the potential if he puts in the work. I think he will be much much better next year. He was never planed to be a starter for most of the year. That's why we signed Thomas. Baptism by fire.

I honestly think Center is the only position on our O line we have to fix right now. Donald Thomas will be coming back to play LG, and Thornton will start at RG. Now we just need to get a very good center in free agency. I know nobody here like dishing out large money to one player, but I think if it's Alex Mack, it's worth it. We need to get this guy regardless of price. We have around 40 million cap I think. It's not like we're using all of our cap on one player.

And if we cut satele we save another 4mil$ that can be spent on a top center like mack.. oh the posibilities...

To be fair his performance could light a fire under his butt this offseason. I see the potential if he puts in the work. I think he will be much much better next year. He was never planed to be a starter for most of the year. That's why we signed Thomas. Baptism by fire.

Going in it is reasonable to think the hope would be you have him ready to compete with McGlynn say by mid-season.

The first time i saw his speed and balance on a pull i was giddy. It will slow down for him with study and more experience.

Of course IMO bringing McGlynn back to start at G was just about as DUMB as you can get with the $$$ we had. Not fair to Andrew/the whole Team.

Many here probably wish our  Brilliant GM had signed McGlynn to be our Center and NOOOO Satele, and having spent Satele`s $10.5 M on a Guard.

IMO just a MAJOR Screw Up by Grigson that we have suffered through. So far!

Spot on. Hopefully they are all healthy so they can train like they need to.

Those 3 Big Boys have the base physical tools to become REALLY Good.

Richardson should be FINED for being over 212.

Thorton IMO will prove to be a great asset to the Oline. im not going to knock him by his play in his rookie season. a rookie will play like a rookie, but i did see flashes of a gritty punch you in the mouth guard during his stint on the line. He should make a jump in his second year, im hoping he becomes a starter next season.

I think Thornton was a rookie trying to do the best he could. I saw a lot of potential hes big, moves well, seems strong enough. IMO he was thinking too much, an was fooled with scheme a lot. I also think the game was fast for him. Next year will be the real test for him. He got a lot of on the job training this year which given his skills should prove he well in the long run. He also was injured in the pre season and didn't play much! I really think Reitz should have been out there & would like if we resigned him.

Thornton started off bad as most offensive lineman rookies do but as the season went on he got better. I think adding Alex Mack will make him an even better player because Satele was bad this year.

I think Offensive Line is definitely a tough gig for a rookie. Thornton has the raw tools to be a good one. He looks like he has the athleticism and the mean streak to be a pretty good mauler inside.

I'd like to make one observation about the offensive line. In the games that I saw I thought the line did a pretty decent job of run blocking. I think Donald Brown's YPC proves that out and many times that I watched Richardson there were creases there for him to run through but he was either too slow or made the wrong cut which led to his YPC average being terrible. So, in the run blocking side of things I think there was a semi-bright spot with the line.

Doesn't Thomas play left guard?

Yes....Thornton was working on the right side last year when Thomas went down. Would have liked to seen him worked in at right guard still, and used Reitz as the left guard.  I have said Reitz quite a bit.  He was bigger and stronger than ever, and filling in at LT too.

Yes....Thornton was working on the right side last year when Thomas went down. Would have liked to seen him worked in at right guard still, and used Reitz as the left guard.  I have said Reitz quite a bit.  He was bigger and stronger than ever, and filling in at LT too.

You are onto something in Reitz.  If his availability matched his blocking ability, he looks like he'd be a high quality starter to me.  It is easy to forget how well we ran the ball to the left side in 2012 when he and Castonzo were paired up.  Definitely want to see us keep him, as back-ups that can play at his level are hard to find.  Maybe he can avoid the concussions as a swing tackle if we keep him out of the interior.