Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns announce Banner, Lombardi to step down

lollygagger8

To be honest, this would be a situation that would be perfect for Bill Polian to walk in and run the show with his son. He would get all the control he always wanted with a say at every level.

Just not sure if ole Bill wants to do it, he is happy with his ESPN gig. He was always an east coast media bias guy with the way he leaked info to ESPN and Chris Mortensen before he said anything to the Indy Star.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, this would be a situation that would be perfect for Bill Polian to walk in and run the show with his son. He would get all the control he always wanted with a say at every level.

Just not sure if ole Bill wants to do it, he is happy with his ESPN gig. He was always an east coast media bias guy with the way he leaked info to ESPN and Chris Mortensen before he said anything to the Indy Star.

Meh, I think Polian is too old and some of his thinking is outdated. He had a great career, go spend time with the grandkids.

This is just speculation, but does anyone think maybe these two were fired because they didn't want to select Johnny Manziel? I've read that the Browns front office has been in love with Manziel and were going to try and trade up for him. Anyone think that "front office" might be code for Jimmy Haslam, and Banner/Lombardi realized that it wasn't worth it to trade up and land Mr. Football? Again, I'm just speculating but I can see how it would be so hard to land a HC, especially if the owner already has a QB of the future picked out.

This is just speculation, but does anyone think maybe these two were fired because they didn't want to select Johnny Manziel? I've read that the Browns front office has been in love with Manziel and were going to try and trade up for him. Anyone think that "front office" might be code for Jimmy Haslam, and Banner/Lombardi realized that it wasn't worth it to trade up and land Mr. Football? Again, I'm just speculating but I can see how it would be so hard to land a HC, especially if the owner already has a QB of the future picked out.

Anything is possible at this point....I guess we'll find out on Draft Day.

If they have cameras in Cleveland's war room, and Haslam is in there like Jerry Jones....high-fiving a bunch of yes-men after they select Manziel...you'll have your answer.

All of this simply because they dont have a starting QB and only 1 viable receiving threat, Sending Lombardi packin was a good move however, Fix the QB situation, Resign Mack, add another wr threat and ya suddenly got a team on the rise

I thought Cameron had a heck of a year at the TE position. 

Anybody who can do that well with Weeden/Hoyer/Cambell, is OK in my book. Making what Gordon did even more impressive. 

It feels like yesterday, Haslam was being celebrated as the new owner to come in, right before it was revealed he's a criminal.

I feel bad for Browns fans. They can't even protest the team, like what happened a few months back, they made the fan move on the other side of the road. The team does not care, nor does the owner or the one's in charge.

WOAH. I didn't see that coming. I was under the impression that all of their insanity was about Lombardi stripping down the roster to build it in his own image. I can't stand the guy from his analyst days, but firing him (and Banner) at THIS point makes about as much sense as firing a coach after one year.

WOAH. I didn't see that coming. I was under the impression that all of their insanity was about Lombardi stripping down the roster to build it in his own image. I can't stand the guy from his analyst days, but firing him (and Banner) at THIS point makes about as much sense as firing a coach after one year.

w they have a coach who wasn't hired by the new GM that they havent hired yet..

OMG

w they have a coach who wasn't hired by the new GM that they havent hired yet..

OMG

:headspin:

I know, and frankly that's the key reason for focusing on this as another sign of dysfunction. It would be substantially different if Haslam had simply cleaned house the day that the season ended (if not earlier), but the sequence of events is comically unorthodox. I'll hold off on complete ridicule for now - I wouldn't want Lombardi in the first place and for all we know both new signings are brilliant - but if I was a Browns fan I'd be :woah: .