Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns announce Banner, Lombardi to step down

lollygagger8

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly a storied franchise gone awry....maybe this will make a difference...maybe not...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10435830/cleveland-browns-overhaul-front-office-name-ray-farmer-new-gm

WOAH. I didn't see that coming. I was under the impression that all of their insanity was about Lombardi stripping down the roster to build it in his own image. I can't stand the guy from his analyst days, but firing him (and Banner) at THIS point makes about as much sense as firing a coach after one year.

Didn't they just hire Lombardi? A lot of these moves look bad from a outside perspective, but may be good for the team in the long run. Chudzinski was a poor hire to begin with, Banner is more bean counter than a football guy, and Lombardi is...well, Lombardi.

Didn't they just hire Lombardi? A lot of these moves look bad from a outside perspective, but may be good for the team in the long run. Chudzinski was a poor hire to begin with, Banner is more bean counter than a football guy, and Lombardi is...well, Lombardi.

That's what I was thinking.  How are they going to ever field a good team when they keep firing their HC every year and their GM every 2 years.  

Who ever is in charge there doesn't seem to know what he wants or seem very mature either.  

That's what I was thinking.  How are they going to ever field a good team when they keep firing their HC every year and their GM every 2 years.  

Who ever is in charge there doesn't seem to know what he wants or seem very mature either.

I actually think they are good moves. I don't know, but it looks like Haslam tired of Banner/Lombardi and is putting his imprint on the team.

Didn't he do that by firing Mike Holmgren's posse when he bought the club?

My thoughts exactly.  It's like he just enjoys hiring and firing people.  Next year he'll probably fire both his new coach and his new GM.

The true tragedy of this is that no one of any great talent level is gonna want to work for the Browns because they feel like they will have zero chance to really change anything before they get axed by probably the most impatient owner in all of sports.  

Didn't he do that by firing Mike Holmgren's posse when he bought the club?

Lol....I guess you have a point. Maybe he was too busy being investigated by the govt. when guys like Lombard and Chudzinski were hired. I don't know, but I still like the moves, even though they look horrible from a PR perspective.

Lol....I guess you have a point. Maybe he was too busy being investigated by the govt. when guys like Lombard and Chudzinski were hired. I don't know, but I still like the moves, even though they look horrible from a PR perspective.

Maybe, but he's gonna have to start settling on one guy for at least a few years to see what they can do in the long run.  

Crap the Browns had guys turn them down for their head coaching job because no one wants it.  

He's making it so that no one with any other options wants to be at the Browns.  That will kill them when looking for coaches, that will kill them when looking for front office staff and if he isn't careful it will kill them in free agency.  

How long before the Browns have a first round pick who says he won't play for the Browns ala Eli Manning or Elway?

Maybe Haslam has ADD. "Wait, you mean he isn't Vince's son - I just assumed. Screw it.".

Farmer has a similar background to Grigson and makes sense as a GM for a team in their position. Now if they just let him do his thing for a few years and see what he's made of........

Maybe I can get hired for the Browns....my Madden skills are pretty impressive. 

You'll be fired after a year but hey the pay is probably pretty good.  If you save your money you probably wouldn't have to work again.  

I say go for it...  But don't think I won't be putting in my application.    

You'll be fired after a year but hey the pay is probably pretty good.  If you save your money you probably wouldn't have to work again.  

I say go for it...  But don't think I won't be putting in my application.    

Hell, I could live off the interest for the rest of my life off that payday. 

But I'd have to live in Cleveland for a year.....

tumblr_lpp0crg25E1qazkfbo1_400.gif

Maybe, but he's gonna have to start settling on one guy for at least a few years to see what they can do in the long run.  

Crap the Browns had guys turn them down for their head coaching job because no one wants it.  

He's making it so that no one with any other options wants to be at the Browns.  That will kill them when looking for coaches, that will kill them when looking for front office staff and if he isn't careful it will kill them in free agency.  

How long before the Browns have a first round pick who says he won't play for the Browns ala Eli Manning or Elway?

If Farmer doesn't work out, Haslam can always hire his buddy Peyton after he retires lol

Indeed....there's a couple of interesting layers to this for sure.

A few months ago during the season I heard Chris Landry on Fox Radio make mention that there are "disruptive elements" in the Browns front office. Now....I don;t know what that meant and he didn't name names....but whether anyone likes Landry or not, he has NFL experience and connections. Maybe this Banner/Lombardi team wasn't all that hot to begin with...IDK. Coaches weren't exactly climbing over each other for the Browns job that's for sure.

One thing I know about Jimmy Haslam from working for him back in the 90s is that when we talk about the "results now" atmosphere in the NFL....it doesn't even come close to the quarter to quarter and even week to week expectations Haslam has for his store managers. Whatever happened at Pilot with this fleet fuel sales fraud being investigated is anyone's guess....but the guy demands profit margin in a VERY real-time manner, and made his billions that way, which is the name of the game in retail.

I'm just not sure he's got the patience to be an NFL owner.

It doesn't look like it.

Pettine could be gone next year if the Browns don't do well because Farmar didn't hire him, Mack and many of the Browns players know that. I think there's a good chance we get Alex Mack now.

Given his potential price tag, I hope not.

Pettine could be gone next year if the Browns don't do well because Farmar didn't hire him, Mack and many of the Browns players know that. I think there's a good chance we get Alex Mack now.

By Mid year is my guess...just like Mo Cheeks with the Detroit Pistons.  He was given a wonderful chance....

Could depend on who we cut. If Grigson cuts Satele and Toler that should be enough to get Mack at 8 mil a year without going in to the available cap space. I know 8 mil is a lot but Mack is a top 3 Center and i think many of us would much rather have him then Satele and Toler.

Given his potential price tag, I hope not.

Could depend on who we cut. If Grigson cuts Satele and Toler that should be enough to get Mack at 8 mil a year without going in to the available cap space. I know 8 mil is a lot but Mack is a top 3 Center and i think many of us would much rather have him then Satele and Toler.

8m is still too much for a center imo....especially for team with other needs.