Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Colts Switch to 4-3?

Coltscrazy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what I believe too. The didn't have the players to play a 3-4 when that switch was made.

Teams rarely have the right personel when switching from one scheme to another. It don't stop them from changing and it shouldn't. People should have known from the start it would take time to complete the change. I love that we switched to a 3-4. I believe it is a better scheme IMO although there are very good 4-3 teams too. I've just always been a bigger fan of the 3-4 because I think it allows for more disguised looks. Once we get all the right guys, I don't think people will question the change.

Fair enough. When we line up in a true 3-4 front, our base D is a 2-gap front - or was in 2013. I don't think we 1-gap RJF very often on running downs, he is reading and reacting unless he is rushing the passer.

no he isn't. Feel free to watch a game and figure it out

How flexible is coach Pagano?  When Wenrer was drafted, one scout said he was the next Ryan Kerrigan.  Our front7 is bad anyway, we wouldn't need a huge overhaul.  With Werner and Mathis we would be set at DE.  All we would have to do is add an impact DT, something Pollian refused to do.  I'm not saying go back to the Cover2 days, we could still be an attacking defense.  Someone who knows much more about football, please fill me in on how much hybrid 4-3 we play already.  Do we already use Werner that way for many snaps?

I have been listening to the build the trenches posters, and I think they are correct.  If there is a way for Werner to make an impact, I say do it.  Instead of shelling out big bucks to Davis, get a DL in free agency instead.  What about Lamar Houston?.  Then trade down and draft a DL in the third and pick up a DB with your extra pick. 

Mathis  Houston  Urban  Werner

Then sign Mack and Travelle Wharten.  Without all that money to DBs you could build the Trenches.

Castonzo  Thomas  Mack Wharten Cherilus

I would like  to go back to the 4/3 with the players we have. I would not change Mathis keep him at OLB Huges and Chapman would make excellent DT's. Weiner would make a good DE and keep Fannics at DE. but do NOT go back to the cover 2 with the 10 yard cousion

I would like to go back to the 4/3 with the players we have. I would not change Mathis keep him at OLB Huges and Chapman would make excellent DT's. Weiner would make a good DE and keep Fannics at DE. but do NOT go back to the cover 2 with the 10 yard cousion

sounds perfect

Teams rarely have the right personel when switching from one scheme to another. It don't stop them from changing and it shouldn't. People should have known from the start it would take time to complete the change. I love that we switched to a 3-4. I believe it is a better scheme IMO although there are very good 4-3 teams too. I've just always been a bigger fan of the 3-4 because I think it allows for more disguised looks. Once we get all the right guys, I don't think people will question the change.

My thoughts exactly! 3-4 is more mysterious defense. Was playing NCAA 14 on the PS3 earlier and made this guy quit. Said I was cheating when i went to base 3-4 cause he didn't know which LB was blitzing or going into coverage lmao

I would like  to go back to the 4/3 with the players we have. I would not change Mathis keep him at OLB (no) Huges and Chapman (no) would make excellent DT's. Weiner would make a good DE and keep Fannics at DE (and...no) but do NOT go back to the cover 2 with the 10 yard cousion

I would like to go back to the 4/3 with the players we have. I would not change Mathis keep him at OLB (no) Huges and Chapman (no) would make excellent DT's. Weiner would make a good DE and keep Fannics at DE (and...no) but do NOT go back to the cover 2 with the 10 yard cousion

:facepalm:

Jason Jason Jason

If you wanted to get the "no" point across, just use this little guy

:no:

haha

Well the Defense they play now isnt your traditional 3-4 it is a Hybrid Defense. if you pay close attention there are times where they switch to a 4-3 defense. so the remnents of the 4-3 is still there. i personally like the hybrid defense it adds a wrinkle so to speak.

All things considered, it doesn't matter. Whatever we run, we have to run it better than we have in the past. Schemes are schemes, they all have their ups and downs. Talent and execution are what make schemes work.

Why stop at a 4-3?  Why not go with a 5-2 with a front line of Redding, Hughes, Chapman, Franklin and Moala and Freeman and whomever as the LBers.  Or why not a 1-6?

It doesn't matter what scheme the Colts run they need a DC that can understand the tendencies of the opposing offense and be able to anticipate the adjustments they make during the game and you have to have the personnel to execute.  The Colts have some personnel that can execute and some that cannot not and I, personally, don't think Manusky is very good at anticipating adjustments.