Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Better TE: Fleener or Allen

Caleb3502

No. I saw him have butterfingers last year and get called soft....yet when I asked for evidence of this no one could provide it. He may have had a couple contested drops this year, the Kiko Alonso play comes to mind, but I don't think he has "many". I just think people have a hard time getting over the impression he made last year.

The change in offensive strategy also helped him, He was actually targeted alot more in Peps offense instead of being reduced to a blocking TE, 48 targets all year long his rookie year....88 this year...For comparison Allen only had 45 targets his rookie year so neither were used right...Thats how Arians offense has always been, He doesn't use his TE's as receivers with exception of 1 season where Heath Miller was targeted 98 times, His other three years as Steelers OC was 75 targets or less

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First....   my answer would be Allen,  and as people here know, I'm a Stanford fan.

Second....    I must say that I HATE threads like this.    They start fights, and over what?    A hypothetical question that we don't have to answer!

Who cares who is better?!    We have BOTH!    When used properly,  BOTH can be dangerous weapons and make our offense much harder to defend.

We should be happy that we have both.    Instead, people are ripping each other over a difference of opinion.

A complete waste of everyone's time!

Sorry....   not trying to rip the OP,  but somethings like this are just not worth it......

Sorry :(

Sorry :(

No worries.....

I know you're a new poster and you've started a number of other good threads....

There was no way you could know that this thread would go sideways...    your intentions were good...    but threads like this often go crazy because there are so many differences of opinions....    and there's a certain small group of people who simply can't disgree without being disagreeable.

Their go-to move is to insult other people...

Hey, sometimes that happens....  I just don't like it unless it's absolutely necessary...

Again....   no worries...     we're good!    :thmup:

No worries.....

I know you're a new poster and you've started a number of other good threads....

There was no way you could know that this thread would go sideways...    your intentions were good...    but threads like this often go crazy because there are so many differences of opinions....    and there's a certain small group of people who simply can't disgree without being disagreeable.

Their go-to move is to insult other people...

Hey, sometimes that happens....  I just don't like it unless it's absolutely necessary...

Again....   no worries...     we're good!    :thmup:

Ok sounds good :)

If you could only have one of them, who would pick: Fleener or Allen.  Both put up similar numbers in seasons where they were healthy most of the year, Allen 2012 and Fleener 2013.  Allen is the better blocker but Fleener is faster and has better hands.

Cant choose between them...different players...glad we have both...

Let me predict that soon teams will play 3 tight end sets regularly...

First....   my answer would be Allen,  and as people here know, I'm a Stanford fan.

Second....    I must say that I HATE threads like this.    They start fights, and over what?    A hypothetical question that we don't have to answer!

Who cares who is better?!    We have BOTH!    When used properly,  BOTH can be dangerous weapons and make our offense much harder to defend.

We should be happy that we have both.    Instead, people are ripping each other over a difference of opinion.

A complete waste of everyone's time!

Sorry....   not trying to rip the OP,  but somethings like this are just not worth it......

Well.. this question isn't necessary hypothetical. Their contracts will end at the same time, along with TY, Ballard, and Luck.  You really think we will have an option of bringing them both back by then?

While I think the exact question could be re-worded a bit, it is totally realistic to think we will have to choose one day. Not today.. and not tomorrow.. but one day this decision will most likely have to be made. Neither one of these TE's is trying to be second string so they will both play for that #1 spot and when it comes the time they will want #1 spot money.

I like Fleener a lot as a player. But I like what I saw from Allen his rookie year a ton more. I want to see Allen bounce back from this injury before I pick him though

A way to look at it is like this: If a team called up Grigson and said they'd give him a 2nd round pick for either Fleener or Allen, who would you want him to keep? Extremely hypothetical, but it puts it into perspective.

I would want to keep Allen. Fleener is a contributor on offense, but Allen is more skilled at almost everything. Not only that, he plays hard and with attitude. It's not like a New England situation where both Gronk and Hernandez were equally amazing, although Gronk was better. Allen is ahead of Fleener, who struggles to get open, and then doesn't catch it when he does. He's great in the Red-zone though. But Allen can catch any type of ball.

What about this, they've both been around for 2 years but only one of them has went on IR for a season.  I think that gives Fleener an edge.

Yup. The guy who's out there playing is always more valuable than the guy on IR. There's a long, long list of "former NFL players" who had great skills but couldn't stay healthy. Let's hope that Allen doesn't wind up in that category.

wrong answer

I don't know how anyone could claim a guy who didn't contribute anything this year is a better TE than someone who's proving to be one of the better players at his position. Maybe Allen has more potential, but at this point Fleener is clearly........clearly.......clearly the better player.

Well.. this question isn't necessary hypothetical. Their contracts will end at the same time, along with TY, Ballard, and Luck.  You really think we will have an option of bringing them both back by then?

While I think the exact question could be re-worded a bit, it is totally realistic to think we will have to choose one day. Not today.. and not tomorrow.. but one day this decision will most likely have to be made. Neither one of these TE's is trying to be second string so they will both play for that #1 spot and when it comes the time they will want #1 spot money.

I like Fleener a lot as a player. But I like what I saw from Allen his rookie year a ton more. I want to see Allen bounce back from this injury before I pick him though

If they're both good players and we want to keep them both, then I think we'll find a way to do so...

Just as NE signed both Gronk and Hernandez to very big contracts in the same off-season.    It can be done if you have the will to do so....

I don't know how anyone could claim a guy who didn't contribute anything this year is a better TE than someone who's proving to be one of the better players at his position. Maybe Allen has more potential, but at this point Fleener is clearly........clearly.......clearly the better player.

Not a chance. Did you watch Allen his rookie year? Fleener is clearly the healthier player as of now but when healthy Allen is "clearly........clearly.......clearly the better player".

You can try to argue it but you'd just be wrong.

Not a chance. Did you watch Allen his rookie year? Fleener is clearly the healthier player as of now but when healthy Allen is "clearly........clearly.......clearly the better player".

You can try to argue it but you'd just be wrong.

Clearly.......clearly........clearly that is an opinion which I disagree with.

If they're both good players and we want to keep them both, then I think we'll find a way to do so...

Just as NE signed both Gronk and Hernandez to very big contracts in the same off-season.    It can be done if you have the will to do so....

It will be difficult to do because it is during the same off-season that Luck, Hilton, Richardson, and Ballard are all coming off contract as well. So it's not like they are just re-signing Fleener and Allen. You've got at least two higher priority guys in Luck and HIlton.

It will be difficult to do because it is during the same off-season that Luck, Hilton, Richardson, and Ballard are all coming off contract as well. So it's not like they are just re-signing Fleener and Allen. You've got at least two higher priority guys in Luck and HIlton.

Agreed....   you make very good points...   it will be very difficult...   

The Colts will have to do a very good job of prioritizing who they want and who they're willing to let walk out the front door....

Fortunately,   that's down the road a bit....    before my head starts spinning too much,  I'm just going to enjoy this off-season and the 2014 campaign!         :thmup:

no he isn't

Fleener diehards amaze me

Well you can start resigning them after their third year(there's a three month window to extend the player or excercise their fifth year option if they have one in their contract after the third season)

so you can spread the signings out starting next offseason, and I think Luck and Richardson have 5th year options but Luck will be extended earlier than that.

I really like Fleener and I think he stepped up a lot this year, but Allen is by far the better TE.  He can do far more with his blocking and he is like a bowling ball when he has the ball.  He's a big, strong, fast guy who is very hard to tackle

Yet he dropped to the 3rd because he isn`t FAST. Good grief!

So you didn't see all the contested yet catchable balls that he dropped? Balls that good TEs haul in on a regular basis he would not on a regular basis.

It is true.

It wasn't bull****. You thought he dropped many contested passes....I did not. My bad, I thought that was fairly simple.

Andrew got all of his receivers constantly BLOWN UP last year with HUNDREDS of Late, to the WRONG Shoulder passes.

TY led the League with drops and like Fleenor, showed us this season in PEPS O, he has GREAT hands.

Allen will continue to get Hammered because Andrew will keep throwing him Plenty of High balls in coverage rather than finding the Open receiver.

Andrew got all of his receivers constantly BLOWN UP last year with HUNDREDS of Late, to the WRONG Shoulder passes.

TY led the League with drops and like Fleenor, showed us this season in PEPS O, he has GREAT hands.

Allen will continue to get Hammered because Andrew will keep throwing him Plenty of High balls in coverage rather than finding the Open receiver.

Good god, give it a break Mr Broken Record