Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Team is set at WR, right?

1yrdandacloudofdust

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with Reggie coming back, a new WR would be more of a luxury, and not a necessity. With Reggie and TY starting, we have Rogers, Brazill, and Whalen sitting in the wings waiting to contribute.

If a new wr is signed, though, i won't complain. It will help the team out. It just depends who it is.

Also, i don't like Nicks.

EDIT: Also, Dwayne Allen is coming back too. I really don't think WR is a need until next year

That's a matter of opinion. I don't believe we need a WR personally. I believe Rogers will end up being our number one, and we have Brazil and Whalen who performed well late in the season. I look for Rogers to really establish himself next year, he has all the talent and skill you want in your number one.

No, in my opinion wide receiver is not set at all, and is a need. Reggie is close to retirement, Rogers/Whalen are too unproven, Brazill although he hasn't been given a good enough chance I think, hasn't shown enough of anything, and Hilton is the only real set future at the moment. When Reggie went down this year the offense wasn't the same, we need someone to replace close to his skill level

why cant people contemplate ty as a number one. all the guy does is gain 100 yards and/or score tds.  is he inconsistent? sure, but his impact is undeniable. so hes not the biggest guy, neither are other number ones like steve smith or desean jackson. you dont have to be the size of megatron to be a number one

That's a matter of opinion. I don't believe we need a WR personally. I believe Rogers will end up being our number one, and we have Brazil and Whalen who performed well late in the season. I look for Rogers to really establish himself next year, he has all the talent and skill you want in your number one.

I like Rogers a lot too. Although I still would be fine taking a mid round pick on a WR that could step in when Reggie is gone.

I think Rogers needs as much playing time as possible.. He is just going to get better and better.

Whats the latest on Reggie? Have we heard any news?

Reggie IS going to be 36, and coming off of a devastating knee injury. How much can we trust him?

We've got TY. Whom I think we can trust....Whalen/Rogers/Brazil? Are we completely sold on this? What happens if we sustain an injury to TY, and Reggie is never the same? Are we set on those guys?

I think a FA veteran would fit nicely, and a nice fall back option. A low cost. Low maintenance type guy....I think someone like Jericho Cotchery would be a great benefit on this team. An excellent fall back option. Someone we could rely on 'just in case'.

If we picked a wide receiver I'd like de'athony thomas. That guy is a dynamic play maker like hilton and our offense would be unstoppable. But I'd prefer we fix the offensive and d lines and get a fast shifty back to go along with our two power runners.

why cant people contemplate ty as a number one. all the guy does is gain 100 yards and/or score tds. is he inconsistent? sure, but his impact is undeniable. so hes not the biggest guy, neither

are other number ones like steve smith or desean jackson. you dont have to be the size of megatron to be a number one

Not all good receivers have to be #1's.

Their positions on the the depth chart doesn't mean they are the best per say... Yeah T.Y. Is good and may be great in the future but he plays Great as a slot reciever and would be a great #2.. It not always about being number one! Really #1 and 2 are all technically starters and maybe #3 depending on your offense.. So it becomes more of a strategy of where to put them against an opposing defense.

Not all good receivers have to be #1's.

Their positions on the the depth chart doesn't mean they are the best per say... Yeah T.Y. Is good and may be great in the future but he plays Great as a slot reciever and would be a great #2.. It not always about being number one! Really #1 and 2 are all technically starters and maybe #3 depending on your offense.. So it becomes more of a strategy of where to put them against an opposing defense.

thats a common misconception. ty lines up everywhere and he is just as effective

I doubt we sign a WR this year. I think if anything it will be a draft pickup. The need is not immediate it is a future developing need.  I think Grigson and staff will be content finding a mid round guy to develop over the next 1-2 years.  Jared Abbrederis(Wisconsin) comes to mind as a guy who might be available.. 

We don't need another WR this coming season.

1. Reggie will bounce back. I'm confident in that.
  2. TY is a number 1 WR.
  3. Da'Rick Rogers, Griff Whalen, and LaVon Brazill all showed potential.

Time will tell if we need another number 1 after Reggie retires... or depth.

WE ARE FINE AT WR!! Wayne, Hilton, Rogers, Brazil, Whalen...Let the younger guys grown with Luck, they all have shown the ability to succeed and step up..ALL OF THEM..whalen has shown the early doubters that he CAN get open and have reliable hands, Rogers was thrown in the fire and at times showed he can make a game changing play (the big catch vs the chiefs in the playoffs was a HUGE momentum changer)..Brazil also came up big, catching well covered passes,breaking tackles (YAC) and scoring td's as well..and do I even need to say anything about Hilton!!  And Wayne is already proven and even if he's not the same reggie we knew and loved he can still rely on his knowledge and expirience to make an impact. Another WR would rattle things up, we need growing chemistry.

1.Wayne

2.Hilton

3.Rogers (but would play mostly outside while reggie plays in the slot with TY on the outside as well)

4.Brazil/Whalen (IMO should split reps cause both can make a impact, maybe with Brazil being a little better)

The following season is the time to add a veteran (with wayne maybe or maybe not coming back)

I agree that if a stud like Mathews fell we should take him, but if that doesn't happen we should wait until after next season to replace Reggie. We will have a first round pick, or we could go the FA route because it's stacked with big names. I want us to have a receiving core like Denver if at all possible.

We are fine at WR, but if you have hung around this forum long enough, you'd know that many here just can't get enough WR's. There isn't enough in the NFL or college to satisfy many Colts fans. With Reggie, Rogers, TY, Brazill, Fleener and Allen as weapons already, they're is absolutely no need to use any cap space on anybody else. In fact, it would just be counter productive and hurt us from spending money where really needed, but no matter how many times that gets repeated, the same posters will say it isn't enough over and over.

I don't think so.  I think we need another WR with the talent to be a highend number two or a number one WR.  Yes Wayne is coming back but he will be in the last year of his contract and there is no promise he'll be back like his same old self.  Hilton has emerged as a star but as we saw at times last year if you don't have other threats at WR teams can and do take him away from the Colts. 

Honestly, the guy I thought who had the best season of the other remaining WRs was Brazil.  He really started to come on towards the end of the year.  Still I don't think he's a future number two type WR.  I think he's a number three at best.  Rodgers had enough moments that he deserves a look again in camp but it's going to take more than one big game when the other team didn't have tape on you and a big catch in a playoff game to make a career in the NFL.  He has to get better.  If he does the Colts might have something there, however one of the knocks on him is his work ethic so we shall see.  Whalen is a guy who is going to give you everything he has but frankly everything he has is a highend back up in the NFL.  DHB will not be back. 

So it wouldn't hurt the Colts to look for another WR if they can get the right guy without forcing it.  Meaning I wouldn't trade up in a major way in the draft to get one and I wouldn't majorly over spend in free agency to get one.  Honestly they probably could get by with the guys they have for the coming season but they do need to start thinking about the future because Wayne isn't going to play forever even if Wayne is 100% like his old self when he comes back. 

No, in my opinion wide receiver is not set at all, and is a need. Reggie is close to retirement, Rogers/Whalen are too unproven, Brazill although he hasn't been given a good enough chance I think, hasn't shown enough of anything, and Hilton is the only real set future at the moment. When Reggie went down this year the offense wasn't the same, we need someone to replace close to his skill level

Right you are! 

Remove Reggie from the equation and WR is a big need for a high skill WR.

I don't understand why people want to wait until Reggie is gone to look for more depth at the position.. I would want Reggie's replacement WR(s) to spend as much time with him as possible. Reggie is not gifted with top-tier athletic ability.. he is amazing because of the way he reads defenses and runs his routes. He can teach these young guys countless things about both of those subjects and we can already see how much it has helped TY develop.  Just because we draft a young guy now doesn't mean he has to instantly fulfill a void.  If the WR we get now can step up and be ready to go because of the tutelage of Reggie after 1 or 2 years then it is completely worth it.

I believe just because Reggie is coming back doesn't mean we don't sign a wr. I don't think we spend big money on one but if we think there is a value guy out there...no reason to not bring him in this year because we don't see what we want in next years FA market or draft. That said there isn't going to be a lot of space on the offense for one. TY and Reggie will be starting and I assume we go with two TE sets almost exclusively....that is 4 guys....meaning Whalen, Brazill, and Rogers to rotate....I see no reason to think we need another wr unless Reggie can't go....and if Reggie is done....YES...Rogers/Brazill/Whalen are not quality enough for a SB starting wr....and that is what we are wanting correct...SB caliber team. They aren't bad and certainly will play...but Seattle I thought has one of the worst wr core in football and all their guys rate above these guys. I just don't see us seeing WR as need....when we have so many bigger ones. The big signings we make....shouldn't be at wr....but it wouldn't surprise me to see another DHB level signing..1 yr prove yourself contract.

I will not be surprised if we bring in another WR.

We have many question marks.   Rogers, Whalen, Brazill.   They may develop, and maybe they don't.   Reggie is old and coming off knee surgery and TYH, as good as he is,  can be neutralized by a good defense as NE did to him in the playoffs.

We do not have many WR's that give an opposing defensive coordinator nightmares.    And most rookie WR's need a year to figure out the NFL...   so, for those who think we need another WR in 2015 -- fine.    But that young WR should arrive in 2014 to get up to speed.

It's one of the reasons why I favor bringing in an experienced younger veteran -- a mid-20's type of player.   Someone who is game ready right now.

I'm very curious what Grigson will do here.......

With T.Y and Wayne as the starters and Rogers, Whalen, and Brazil as depth, WR is not a need. So many other needs on the team like C, ILB, FS, DE, and CB that a WR can wait until next year. With Allen coming back and the hiring of Chudzinski who specializes in TE's , i think will be in more 2 TE sets which makes drafting or getting a WR in free agency less of a priority.