Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Yeah, it is Rodney Harrison speaking, but he suggests there is something as being overprepared

chad72

Interesting thoughts from Rodney. I always get the sense that he likes to swipe at Manning and kind of tout how he "always" stopped him when he was with the Pariots. I do think his comments have merit but isn't the key to stopping any high flying offense getting pressure and knocking receivers around?

He may be on to something with Manning being over-prepared and thinking too much.

Didn`t like him as an opponent but he competed at the highest level and was in the right spot with the best of them.

And i bow to his FB knowledge.

Seattle KNEW at the start of the game what the Ravens figured out by halftime the year before.
 Peytons game against a VG secondary WILL be played from 20 yards in.

And it sure looked like they Baited Peyton into run plays and knew the run game tendecies to a T and Stuffed it.

Manning had HIS Team Underprepared for the crowd noise and he and HIS team crumbled under the pressure.

Hmmm! Brings back Memories of MANY one and dones, and Pittsburg and San Diego games by HIS Team.

I WAS Surprised he had a 24 QBR game in him tho.

Seattle plays a simpler D and I mean he puts his team in the right play like No Other. :-)

Wes Welker says they weren't prepared well for crowd noise, oops:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000323440/article/wes-welker-we-didnt-prepare-very-well-for-crowd-noise

Plus, this video was a microcosm of the game, Peyton was just not in it. He has seen enough of the game over the years to complete a wide open 4th & 2 shown in this video:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000323585/article/dominique-rodgerscromartie-hawks-wanted-it-more

He was missing open receivers, overthinking it, hearing footsteps, I guess but he was flat out not poised out there.

I've thought about this too and I think that it's highly possible to over-think a situation and do badly.  

Ever heard of Analysis Paralysis??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_paralysis

This is a very similar concept to video gaming. Let's say you're playing an online game. You play a ton of unranked casual games. Then all of a sudden you move up to (*gasp*) ranked games. Some people get so worked up about titles, stats, achievements, etc. that they over-analyze and work themselves into a corner. If they'd treat the ranked games as just "any other game," they'd ironically do better. It's not like the world will end if they lose, but they fight anyways.

They had not played a real defense all season long. There is at least 2 other teams in the NFC that would have beat them in that Super Bowl. Heck, they struggled with the Chargers who couldn't even win 10 games and had no business being in the playoffs.

Who expected this offense that was hyped up all year as being the greatest ever to only score 8 points?

I agree with Rodney a bit on being over prepared but I think it's being blown out of proportion. This was an old school beat down. Most people don't care about those old Super Bowls where teams beat the snot out of the Vikings or when the Raiders went and dominated. Those Eagles and Vikings teams they beat down were pretty talented.

This kind of stuff happens. The Seahawks offense isn't getting much credit. All year long bad offenses proved just how terrible John Fox's secondary is. Didn't I tell you that John Fox would never win a Super Bowl? He's one of the most overrated coaches ever. If anything, he's going to destroy them the same way he did Carolina before he left.

Seattle was the better team all around. It don't matter how many records Denver broke, they clearly had never seen a defense like this. They went the entire season playing cupcakes and had no idea just how mean and physical Seattle could be, but even with that what did Denver's defense do? They looked terrible all season long. Sure they can stop a running back, but they got shredded all season by quarterbacks that knew how to expose that defense.

I said this in another topic. Too many people/sports pundits are reading way too much into that 1st Broncos play. Relax & take a deep, cleansing breath. Awe poor little Rodney was cold. Grow a pair would ya please. Football was made to played outside in the elements. Mandatory SB dome locations are a freaking joke. Also, most fans watch the SB on TV. They do not attend the game in person on average.

I was impressed that referees threw very few penalties all game long. Denver doesn't have enough money to preserve the o-line & land premium pass rushers.  I wasn't that impressed with much of what Rodney said. I would cut Champ Bailey right now. Too old & you need some speed & fresh legs on Denver's roster. Nothing profound to me in what Harrison said at all. 

They had not played a real defense all season long. There is at least 2 other teams in the NFC that would have beat them in that Super Bowl. Heck, they struggled with the Chargers who couldn't even win 10 games and had no business being in the playoffs.

Who expected this offense that was hyped up all year as being the greatest ever to only score 8 points?

I agree with Rodney a bit on being over prepared but I think it's being blown out of proportion. This was an old school beat down. Most people don't care about those old Super Bowls where teams beat the snot out of the Vikings or when the Raiders went and dominated. Those Eagles and Vikings teams they beat down were pretty talented.

This kind of stuff happens. The Seahawks offense isn't getting much credit. All year long bad offenses proved just how terrible John Fox's secondary is. Didn't I tell you that John Fox would never win a Super Bowl? He's one of the most overrated coaches ever. If anything, he's going to destroy them the same way he did Carolina before he left.

Seattle was the better team all around. It don't matter how many records Denver broke, they clearly had never seen a defense like this. They went the entire season playing cupcakes and had no idea just how mean and physical Seattle could be, but even with that what did Denver's defense do? They looked terrible all season long. Sure they can stop a running back, but they got shredded all season by quarterbacks that knew how to expose that defense.

Didn't the saints lose to the rams and jets?

Just out of curiosity Bogie & I mean this sincerely who, after Josh McDaniels was fired in Denver, should John Elway have hired instead of John Fox? There is no right or wrong answer. I just respect your opinion. 

You are under no obligation to answer my question BTW. 

Deep thought but I would never agree that there is such a thing as being overprepared...

....that suggests that you make better decisions with less knowledge..how often is that true

I think he meant over prepare in the sense that you out-think yourself on the field. Perhaps it would be better to say over analyze vs over prepare as you are right. You can never prepare too much but you can over analyze and then miss the simple read/play.

Didn`t like him as an opponent but he competed at the highest level and was in the right spot with the best of them.

And i bow to his FB knowledge.

Seattle KNEW at the start of the game what the Ravens figured out by halftime the year before.

Peytons game against a VG secondary WILL be played from 20 yards in.

And it sure looked like they Baited Peyton into run plays and knew the run game tendecies to a T and Stuffed it.

Manning had HIS Team Underprepared for the crowd noise and he and HIS team crumbled under the pressure.

Hmmm! Brings back Memories of MANY one and dones, and Pittsburg and San Diego games by HIS Team.

I WAS Surprised he had a 24 QBR game in him tho.

Seattle plays a simpler D and I mean he puts his team in the right play like No Other. :-)

its actually john foxes team he uhh coaches it 

somehow he gets NO blame, i mean has anyone even mentioned fox?

but once again we will drag peyton to Pontius Pilot after a record breaking season screaming crucify him!

I dont know what playoff game you watched, the chargers never had ANY chance that game, peyton struggled with them?

getting to the super bowl reminds you of all his one and dones? cool. just another ungratful fan. buffalo, dallas, and browns fans would be very grateeful for one and dones, and not crucify someone for them. 

arent you a colts fan? or one of those people who feel an obligation to throw the whole football is a team sport concept out the window in order to talk in negative absolutes about manning?

Why does it not surprise me that it was little Wes Welker on the sideline trying to rally his team back to life, and not their `leader` and `field general`, Peyton Manning?

One reason why Manning playoff teams wilt so easily in the face of adversity, might be because when the team looks over in the 2nd quarter and sees their quarterback sulking on the sidelines with a defeated pout on his face, it's easy to give up and phone the rest of the game in.

Why does it not surprise me that it was little Wes Welker on the sideline trying to rally his team back to life, and not their `leader` and `field general`, Peyton Manning?

One reason why Manning playoff teams wilt so easily in the face of adversity, might be because when the team looks over in the 2nd quarter and sees their quarterback sulking on the sidelines with a defeated pout on his face, it's easy to give up and phone the rest of the game in.

What's funny is that you actually believe this.

Brady is still 1-2 in championship games to Manning and 2-2 overall in the playoffs vs a Manning team (Peyton that is : )  The Broncos killed the Patriots get over it.

Brady is still 1-2 in championship games to Manning and 2-2 overall in the playoffs vs a Manning team (Peyton that is : )  The Broncos killed the Patriots get over it.

No Gronk, No Wilfork, No Kelly, No Talib. Has Peyton's career rendered your position on him so weak that you have to grasp at straws to such an extent?

10-5 all time.

The Patriots were barely expected to win their division this year, yet there Brady was again, overachieving in the AFC Championship.

I am being completely honest when I say I don't think we take an iota of a legacy hit in that AFC Championship loss.

its actually john foxes team he uhh coaches it 

somehow he gets NO blame, i mean has anyone even mentioned fox?

but once again we will drag peyton to Pontius Pilot after a record breaking season screaming crucify him!

I dont know what playoff game you watched, the chargers never had ANY chance that game, peyton struggled with them?

getting to the super bowl reminds you of all his one and dones? cool. just another ungratful fan. buffalo, dallas, and browns fans would be very grateeful for one and dones, and not crucify someone for them. 

arent you a colts fan? or one of those people who feel an obligation to throw the whole football is a team sport concept out the window in order to talk in negative absolutes about manning?

Fox deserves a lot of blame, no doubt.  It is interesting that Peyton chose to go to a Fox coached team and that is something he should take some blame for.  It's not a coincidence IMO that the Broncos look just like the Colts did with Peyton.  He wants a coach that's going to give him a huge amount of control and most of the time that's going to be a coach that isn't as good at his job.  I have no doubt that the 49ers would be celebrating their second consecutive championship right now if Peyton had gone there instead, but Harbaugh wouldn't give Peyton as much control.  I think in a lot of ways Peyton's greatest strength, his brain, becomes his biggest Achilles heal in big games, so from that standpoint, I have to somewhat agree with Rodney Harrison (yes, I vomited a bit as I typed that).

No Gronk, No Wilfork, No Kelly, No Talib. Has Peyton's career rendered your position on him so weak that you have to grasp at straws to such an extent?

10-5 all time.

The Patriots were barely expected to win their division this year, yet there Brady was again, overachieving in the AFC Championship.

I am being completely honest when I say I don't think we take an iota of a legacy hit in that AFC Championship loss.

I don't even know who Kelly is and Talib and Gronk are brittle so get used to them not being there.  Blah, blah, excuse, excuse. 

The playoffs and especially championship games are all that really matters.  The Colts beat the two SB teams this year but those were REGULAR SEASON so didn't matter much in the end.

Talk about sulking that Broncos Pats championship game I don't think I saw Brady's face after the first drive.  The top of his helmet was really inspiring to the rest of the team

10-5 all time.

What is it - besides the fact that the media has played the story up all year - makes you think that the Pats injuries were worse than the Broncos?

What is it - besides the fact that the media has played the story up all year - makes you think that the Pats injuries were worse than the Broncos?

You are correct. Other teams suffered injuries but they lost more than just players to injury and I would argue they lost more key players then any other team. The off-season began with Welker turning down their two year offer and signing with Denver. So right there they lost their most productive receiver. Then 3 months later Hernandez gets arrested and they lose one of their pillars at TE for an offense that had been predicated on the TE. Then Gronk who only played 6 games. Amendola who injured his groin in week 1 and then suffered a concussion. And then by mid-season they had lost 3/5's of their Oline which got so bad that they had to move their pro bowl left guard in Mankins to the right side of the line. Add to that their defensive losses in Wilfork, Mayo and Kelly and Talib who played through a hip for 2/3s of the season and ultimately went out early in the AFCCG and there really is no other team that suffered that many key personnel losses over the course of the season.

You are correct. Other teams suffered injuries but they lost more than just players to injury and I would argue they lost more key players then any other team. The off-season began with Welker turning down their two year offer and signing with Denver. So right there they lost their most productive receiver. Then 3 months later Hernandez gets arrested and they lose one of their pillars at TE for an offense that had been predicated on the TE. Then Gronk who only played 6 games. Amendola who injured his groin in week 1 and then suffered a concussion. And then by mid-season they had lost 3/5's of their Oline which got so bad that they had to move their pro bowl left guard in Mankins to the right side of the line. Add to that their defensive losses in Wilfork, Mayo and Kelly and Talib who played through a hip for 2/3s of the season and ultimately went out early in the AFCCG and there really is no other team that suffered that many key personnel losses over the course of the season.

Losing Miller, Harris Jr, and Clady certainly didn't help Broncos....those are key guys that definately definately showed in the SB. Broncos had injuries during the year too, Welker and Julius Thomas were both out at times and DRC and Bailey missed most of the season...no way he was game ready by the playoffs. They also lost their head coach and held it together...NE without Belichick I don't think would have done any better. We would say our injuries were key and we would have been better....its just what it is...who is to say which teams injuries are more impactful..to each team they can range from being a bad loss, to inconsequential, to devastating. The only real devastating losses would be for either the Broncos or Pats to lose their qb...after that their is bad losses like losing Gronk or Wilfork or Talib but same easily could be said for what Denver lost. Seattle even lost some pieces...but what they found was that their system was so strong and they had such depth that most were inconsequential...if not actually benefiting them. Seattle basically came into the SB at full strength...and it showed!! Getting healthy at the right times is HUGE....SF got healthy late too. Denver....not so much...they had a small stretch in the middle of the season but it really started in training camp with that OL and lasted the whole year through.

Amendola and Gronk are always hurt so that shouldn't be a shock to anyone.  Talib is getting a rep as a brittle player too so don't be shocked when they all miss time in 2014.

Dwayne Allen #1 tight end

Reggie Wayne #1 wide receiver    Rodgers for the pack was the only bigger impact injury this season

Vick Ballard #1 running back 

Bradshaw #2 running back

Greg Toler corner big free agent signing missed most of the season after the Denver game

Donald Thomas one of the new oline the Colts desperately needed hurt in the third game

Colts had three in the top ten for biggest losses due to injury this season don't think any other team had more than one.

Gotta Play on  every team loses a lot of players every season u just hope its not the QB or other top players.  

Amendola and Gronk are always hurt so that shouldn't be a shock to anyone.  Talib is getting a rep as a brittle player too so don't be shocked when they all miss time in 2014.

Dwayne Allen #1 tight end

Reggie Wayne #1 wide receiver    Rodgers for the pack was the only bigger impact injury this season

Vick Ballard #1 running back 

Bradshaw #2 running back

Greg Toler corner big free agent signing missed most of the season after the Denver game

Donald Thomas one of the new oline the Colts desperately needed hurt in the third game

Colts had three in the top ten for biggest losses due to injury this season don't think any other team had more than one.

Gotta Play on  every team loses a lot of players every season u just hope its not the QB or other top players.  

Sure. You are right. Every team has to deal with losses and the Colts had their share as did the Broncos. I was just pointing out that the Pats losses were not over played or over hyped by the media. You can call Gronk and Amendola injury-prone but it does not change the fact that Gronk is Brady's most lethal weapon and effects the production of the offense more than any other player on the team. And Amendola was signed to help replace Welker who led the league in receptions last year so his absence hurt a lot. Hernandez was just bad luck but him missing is like he was on IR for the season in terms of him not being on the field from week 1. And of course there were org changes too where the Pats decided not to bring back Lloyd or Branch which forced Brady to have to work will all new receivers similar to 2006. I had said at the start of the season that I thought this season would resemble 2006 which it did offensively as the Pats struggled early in the season and then Brady started clicking with the new guys. But in 2006, the Pats did not suffer the defensive injuries so really this team IMO overachieved winning 12 games and getting back to the AFCCG. And of course the Colts over came their injuries too and won 11 games when most were expecting the team to take a step back given how tough their schedule was compared to last season.