Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OldManP

"Is he the greatest quarterback of all-time or isn’t he?"

Read the article. TL/DR = Standard "TEH RINGZZzZZzz!/nothing else matters!" drivel.

To which I say Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana are the greatest to ever play the QB position. They're equal since other stats apparently mean nothing.

That Marino guy? Don't make me laugh. A stud like Dilfer totally blows his socks off with his McGahee handoff and iron clad defense.

Borges says championships define greatness at the QB position. Using this "logic" TEH RINGGGZ should apply to all players.  Charles Haley is by far and above the best NFL player in history with 5 rings. Jerry Rice? The G.O.A.T.? Heck no!

God bless New England. Appreciated the laugh.

It's a good article, because if Manning is not the greatest QB of both the Broncos and the Colts, ha can't be considered the greatest ever. 

How many Broncos fans would say he's better than Elway? Maybe Indy Colts fans think he's better than Unitas, but Baltimore Colts fans do not.

Borges' job is to sell papers, but this is a good point to debate.

Is Manning the best-ever QB for the Colts?  Is he the best-ever QB for the Broncos?

His critics just never seem to stop coming up wuth stuff just to make themselves feel better.  Its like circular reasoning with them.

It's a good article, because if Manning is not the greatest QB of both the Broncos and the Colts, ha can't be considered the greatest ever. 

How many Broncos fans would say he's better than Elway? Maybe Indy Colts fans think he's better than Unitas, but Baltimore Colts fans do not.

Is Manning the best-ever QB for the Colts?  Is he the best-ever QB for the Broncos?

Just cant answer until his career is over..

We want to decide the best of all time after every game

That's so ESPN...

Is Manning the best-ever QB for the Colts? Is he the best-ever QB for the Broncos?

Mannings numbers are far beyond both unitas and Elway. He is also a five time mvp. He is the best qb for both franchises

Mannings numbers are far beyond both unitas and Elway. He is also a five time mvp. He is the best qb for both franchises

This is the truth! He is the best QB of any franchise that's why he is the GOAT

But its hard to go by numbers..its like inflation...the dollar has to be pro-rated over eras...

...Unitas numbers equals Manning if you look at the era and how much they threw and what defensive practices were allowed..

But in this era...Manning' numbers stand alone

Unitas played in the tackle football era. Manning plays in the two hand touch era. Hard to compare them based on stats but both were great and both excelled without having the best supporting casts. Green Bay dominated much of Johnny's era and of course the Patriots have had great teams most of Peyton's era.

But its hard to go by numbers..its like inflation...the dollar has to be pro-rated over eras...

...Unitas numbers equals Manning if you look at the era and how much they threw and what defensive practices were allowed..

that's why i included the 5 mvps

those are votes\\..JVan

They don't count at all in the discussion..in my opinion...

that's popularity..not greatness.

Peyton is clearly the most popular player of his era 

I've heard some Broncos fans say that Manning is better than Elway, I don't know that Elway ever came close to doing what Manning has done this year.

As for Unitas, well, he's a legend, that's the only way you can put it. I think that Manning with another Super Bowl ring will have accomplished more than Unitas but Johnny U will always be a legend because he did so much for the development of the game and paved the way for the modern quarterback.

Touchdown Passes

Johnny Unitas

1956  9 (7) 

1957 24 (1) 

1958 19 (1) 

1959 32 (1/47) 

1960 25 (1) 

1961 16 (6) 

1962 23 (2) 

1963 20 (6) 

1964 19 (5) 

1965 23 (2) 

1966 22 (4) 

1967 20 (5) 

Career 290 (9)

John Elway

Passing TD 

1985 22 (7) 

1986 19 (9) 

1987 19 (8) 

1993 25 (2) 

1995 26 (6) 

199626 (4) 

1997 27 (4) 

1998 22 (9) 

Career 300 (7)

Peyton Manning

1998 26 (5) 

1999 26 (3) 

2000 33 (1) 

2001 26 (5) 

2002 27 (2) 

2003 29 (2) 

2004 49 (1) 

2005 28 (2) 

2006 31 (1) 

2007 31 (4) 

2008 27 (5) 

2009 33 (2) 

2010 33 (2) 

2012 37 (3) 

2013 55 (1) 

Career 491 (2)

Unitas was in the top 5 eight times in 18 seasons

Elway was in the top 5 three times in 16 seasons

Manning has never been outside the top 5 in 16 seasons despite often not playing full games in week 17

Unitas was in the top 2 six times

Manning was in the top 2 nine times

True Blue...

but even cherry picking that one stat..TD passes.....

(In Unitas'  days...you ran the ball at the goal line...)...Johnny U wanst toop 5..he was No.1

and, even with that,   he held the consecutive game TD record that Drew Brees broke last year

.....You are righty..no one has been as prolific for as long as Peyton....but Johnny U was Manning and Brady rolled into one

We will never know who truly is because everyone is different with what they base their opinion on. Some people literally only look at rings while others look at stats and MVPs and plus these guys all played in different eras.  Of course I think Peyton is the GOAT but I'm a biased Colts fan, for that to be fact and everyone to recognize it he has to win more rings, he is too great to only have one, winning on Sunday against a great Seattle team would do him a ton of good.

True Blue...

but even cherry picking that one stat..TD passes.....

(In Unitas'  days...you ran the ball at the goal line...)...Johnny U wanst toop 5..he was No.1

and, even with that,   he held the consecutive game TD record that Drew Brees broke last year

.....You are righty..no one has been as prolific for as long as Peyton....but Johnny U was Manning and Brady rolled into one

He was #1 four times (1957, 58, 59, 60), just like Manning

those are votes\\..JVan

They don't count at all in the discussion..in my opinion...

that's popularity..not greatness.

Peyton is clearly the most popular player of his era

The entire discussion is that of opinion. Unless of coarse you bring numbers into the discussion. As the post above shows, it really isn't close

We will never know who truly is because everyone is different with what they base their opinion on. Some people literally only look at rings while others look at stats and MVPs and plus these guys all played in different eras.  Of course I think Peyton is the GOAT but I'm a biased Colts fan, for that to be fact and everyone to recognize it he has to win more rings, he is too great to only have one, winning on Sunday against a great Seattle team would do him a ton of good.

The ONLY opinion that matters to me, is my own. ;)     

Not really..

Unitas'  numbers were in a 12-game season....and Manning a 16-game year.

They're much closer than they, at first appear...

MVP is not numbers its just a popular vote..and we aren't allowed to discuss poltics :scared:

Not really..

Unitas' numbers were in a 12-game season....and Manning a 16-game year.

They're much closer than they, at first appear...

MVP is not numbers its just a popular vote..and we aren't allowed to discuss poltics :scared:

If it was just a popularity contest, AD wouldn't have won it last year..

If it was just a popularity contest, AD wouldn't have won it last year..

I know you remember that AD was very, very popular with the guys who voted...he was almost the exclusive choice of the TV talking heads who said Manning just did the same as he always does..

I know you remember that AD was very, very popular with the guys who voted...he was almost the exclusive choice of the TV talking heads who said Manning just did the same as he always does..

You just said Manning has so many MVPs because he is very popular. If that was the case he should have won it more than four times

During Super Bowl week,  Peyton was asked about his Legacy.   

Although he doesn't like to discuss this, ~ or ~ think this is the time to discuss it (he is still playing)  He did make this comment:

"If I had to say what I'd like my legacy to be, it would be that I played my butt off,  for every team I ever played for, and that I was a good teammate".     

I'd say he's done all that, and more.

Johnny will always be the greatest to me as long as I live!! Seen both in different times and seasons. Things are different now from

then so both are really greatest in their day and time, But I give the edge to Unitas because of toughness!! 

Johnny will always be the greatest to me as long as I live!! Seen both in different times and seasons. Things are different now from

then so both are really greatest in their day and time, But I give the edge to Unitas because of toughness!!

Toughness over Manning?

I would say its a push in that department

Touchdown Passes

Johnny Unitas

1956  9 (7) 

1957 24 (1) 

1958 19 (1) 

1959 32 (1/47) 

1960 25 (1) 

1961 16 (6) 

1962 23 (2) 

1963 20 (6) 

1964 19 (5) 

1965 23 (2) 

1966 22 (4) 

1967 20 (5) 

Career 290 (9)

John Elway

Passing TD 

1985 22 (7) 

1986 19 (9) 

1987 19 (8) 

1993 25 (2) 

1995 26 (6) 

199626 (4) 

1997 27 (4) 

1998 22 (9) 

Career 300 (7)

Peyton Manning

1998 26 (5) 

1999 26 (3) 

2000 33 (1) 

2001 26 (5) 

2002 27 (2) 

2003 29 (2) 

2004 49 (1) 

2005 28 (2) 

2006 31 (1) 

2007 31 (4) 

2008 27 (5) 

2009 33 (2) 

2010 33 (2) 

2012 37 (3) 

2013 55 (1) 

Career 491 (2)

Unitas was in the top 5 eight times in 18 seasons

Elway was in the top 5 three times in 16 seasons

Manning has never been outside the top 5 in 16 seasons despite often not playing full games in week 17

Unitas was in the top 2 six times

Manning was in the top 2 nine times

Things now and the way they were back then don't even compare for stats with me, you had to see both in their time and the way football was played rule etc, without the records and seeing both in their heyday I give the edge to Unitas he was a tough dude!! 

Things now and the way they were back then don't even compare for stats with me, you had to see both in their time and the way football was played rule etc, without the records and seeing both in their heyday I give the edge to Unitas he was a tough dude!!

He was comparing eras.

Seen both play , and Peyton is great, but Unitas all the way. If Peyton loses this Super Bowl , he's not even in the discussion.

He was comparing eras.

Let's just say I'm not even talking are compare what this fellow was talking about in the article, it just my opinion on seeing both in their heyday. And I still give Unitas the edge in toughness because of rules these days I give him the edge. 

Seen both play , and Peyton is great, but Unitas all the way. If Peyton loses this Super Bowl , he's not even in the discussion.

Gee, who would have thought the Baltimore guy would have this opinion?

I wasn't aware he was playing by himself

How can you be the best of a franchise when you get booted out in the middle of your career?

Unitas got to play every game, except 4, in a Colts uniform.

Johnny will always be the best Colts quarterback, but Manning is the best of all-time. But I could careless Peyton/ Johnny or Johnny/Peyton are 1a and 1b.

"Is he the greatest quarterback of all-time or isn’t he?

Hard to say but don’t you have to be the greatest quarterback in your own team’s history first to accomplish that?"

http://bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/ron_borges/2014/01/borges_manning_not_even_franchises_top_qb_thanks_to_unitas

Sorry folks.  Manning is not the greatest QB of all time.  Not his fault that he was born AFTER Unitas.  BUT it is his fault he could not CLEARLY eclipse Tom Brady.

Posted · Hidden by MTC, February 2, 2014 - Personal shot?
Hidden by MTC, February 2, 2014 - Personal shot?

Gee, who would have thought the Baltimore guy would have this opinion?

You show your limited scope (AKA ignorance) with your post.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 2, 2014 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, February 2, 2014 - personal shot

Sorry folks.  Manning is not the greatest QB of all time.  Not his fault that he was born AFTER Unitas.  BUT it is his fault he could not CLEARLY eclipse Tom Brady.

Lol, ignorance.