Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton v Brady Offensive Draft Strategy

IndyTrav

To the bolded, I would be surprised to see the Pats move on from him unless they see Edelman as his replacement. Amendola is not breaking the bank at $6 mil a year but if the Pats have their eyes on a top notch offensive weapon for Brady then I can see them letting him go. I have to think they will add a quality TE maybe two and another vet WR at least as Dobson was the only young WR to really break out from the group of young guys.

Indeed...they have all those needs...and I would think they would opt to cut him and resign Edelman who has proven to be a healthier just as good if not better option. Talib will take big money...and if I'm a Pat staff...I would feel a whole lot better about paying Edelman that money they are giving to Amendola and let Slater, Dobson, Tompkins grow....I think they are solid at TE if Gronk comes back healthy....47 what ever his name is I can't even try to spell it is great too...they have to focus on continuing to build that defense....Wilfork may need help and the other corners...there is still room to grow....Tom has shown he can do it with what he has...they HAVE to get back to the OLD Pats. Run and play defense...and let Tom make those critical throws.

Here's the article.  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000317913/article/danny-amendola-could-be-cap-casualty-for-patriots

Indeed...they have all those needs...and I would think they would opt to cut him and resign Edelman who has proven to be a healthier just as good if not better option. Talib will take big money...and if I'm a Pat staff...I would feel a whole lot better about paying Edelman that money they are giving to Amendola and let Slater, Dobson, Tompkins grow....I think they are solid at TE if Gronk comes back healthy....47 what ever his name is I can't even try to spell it is great too...they have to focus on continuing to build that defense....Wilfork may need help and the other corners...there is still room to grow....Tom has shown he can do it with what he has...they HAVE to get back to the OLD Pats. Run and play defense...and let Tom make those critical throws.

Here's the article.  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000317913/article/danny-amendola-could-be-cap-casualty-for-patriots

The other TE is Hooman and he is not really a pass catching TE. More of a blocker. They need two TEs as Gronk will most likely start the season on PUP and still may not finish the season given his injury history. Edelman played more as outside WR then slot this year so I would think he would be a WR and you could still have Amendola as the slot. I would rather keep Talib though and cut Amendola if that is what it takes so I am with you there. I still think they will franchize Talib as I am not sure they want to go all in just yet given his injury issues.

IMO they still need 2 more quality offensive weapons for Brady so not sure how that will effect Amendola. It is hard to gauge him as he did not play in the potent offense that it was supposed to be with Hernandez and Gronk.

The other TE is Hooman and he is not really a pass catching TE. More of a blocker. They need two TEs as Gronk will most likely start the season on PUP and still may not finish the season given his injury history. Edelman played more as outside WR then slot this year so I would think he would be a WR and you could still have Amendola as the slot. I would rather keep Talib though and cut Amendola if that is what it takes so I am with you there. I still think they will franchize Talib as I am not sure they want to go all in just yet given his injury issues.

IMO they still need 2 more quality offensive weapons for Brady so not sure how that will effect Amendola. It is hard to gauge him as he did not play in the potent offense that it was supposed to be with Hernandez and Gronk.

I agree you need another TE..but I think you could address that in the draft or find a veteren to fit the void at a reasonable price. Honestly you are pretty good at WR UNLESS you cut Amendola...you have lots of young options..and they are only getting better...you have to trust Tom to bring them along...and you've proven your bread and butter is running the ball behind that OL and letting Tom hit those 3rd and 2s. I just don't see how you keep Talib and Edelman without letting Amendola go...and to me...that is what I would do...but I'm not Bill and I don't have 3 rings and 5 appearances in the SB..he will figure it out. Any veteren WR that is worth anything is going to cost more...and likely not going to be on your radar.

I agree you need another TE..but I think you could address that in the draft or find a veteren to fit the void at a reasonable price. Honestly you are pretty good at WR UNLESS you cut Amendola...you have lots of young options..and they are only getting better...you have to trust Tom to bring them along...and you've proven your bread and butter is running the ball behind that OL and letting Tom hit those 3rd and 2s. I just don't see how you keep Talib and Edelman without letting Amendola go...and to me...that is what I would do...but I'm not Bill and I don't have 3 rings and 5 appearances in the SB..he will figure it out. Any veteren WR that is worth anything is going to cost more...and likely not going to be on your radar.

Edelman will be cheaper then Amendola. He has only one year at WR. I would think they could keep him at $3-4 mil per year easily. So you would have two WRs at around $10 mil that is pretty good and not breaking the bank.

I think you have more faith in the young guys then I do. Dobson looked legit and Thompkins had some flashes early but I am not sure either he or Boyce are long term solutions. At some point they have to get Tom a legit WR on the outside ala Moss. This two TE offense has been pretty much scrapped which is a good thing. I do think they will focus on the run but they have to get more big targets for Tom. Watching him throw to Slater and Collie in the AFCCG was painful.

Edelman will be cheaper then Amendola. He has only one year at WR. I would think they could keep him at $3-4 mil per year easily. So you would have two WRs at around $10 mil that is pretty good and not breaking the bank.

I think you have more faith in the young guys then I do. Dobson looked legit and Thompkins had some flashes early but I am not sure either he or Boyce are long term solutions. At some point they have to get Tom a legit WR on the outside ala Moss. This two TE offense has been pretty much scrapped which is a good thing. I do think they will focus on the run but they have to get more big targets for Tom. Watching him throw to Slater and Collie in the AFCCG was painful.

No offense but those guys got open...you should have said watching him overthrow those guys was painful....and I'm a HUGE Tom supporter around here. Those young guys can get open...and I think Dobson can take the top off...I think you give them too little credit....Pierre Garcon wasn't great overnight...that took a couple years and even still people knocked him for his hands...big play guys are going to be guys that make low percentage plays higher and high percentage plays lower...they just do. Randy Moss is a HOF freak....your not getting another like him...just face it...thats 1-1000000 wrs drafted you will have a Charles Johnson/Randy Moss. Your cap space is very very tight....some guys got to go and Amendola to me gave you the least bang for buck...Connolly is probably gone and I imagine Kelly is gone....you guys aren't terribly bad off with the cap but you have to make room for your big FA and any other moves you may consider. Somebody is getting cut...I doubt they cut Wilfork but he too would save you a hefty hunk of cap...Belichick has to make some tough choices...you may be able to keep this team in tact...but your not adding anyone that's for sure.

No offense but those guys got open...you should have said watching him overthrow those guys was painful....and I'm a HUGE Tom supporter around here. Those young guys can get open...and I think Dobson can take the top off...I think you give them too little credit....Pierre Garcon wasn't great overnight...that took a couple years and even still people knocked him for his hands...big play guys are going to be guys that make low percentage plays higher and high percentage plays lower...they just do. Randy Moss is a HOF freak....your not getting another like him...just face it...thats 1-1000000 wrs drafted you will have a Charles Johnson/Randy Moss. Your cap space is very very tight....some guys got to go and Amendola to me gave you the least bang for buck...Connolly is probably gone and I imagine Kelly is gone....you guys aren't terribly bad off with the cap but you have to make room for your big FA and any other moves you may consider. Somebody is getting cut...I doubt they cut Wilfork but he too would save you a hefty hunk of cap...Belichick has to make some tough choices...you may be able to keep this team in tact...but your not adding anyone that's for sure.

The cap is expected to go up which should allow for room to add key pieces. I think Wilfork is a better bet to be gone before Amendola given his age, injury and cap number.

I just don't see Amendola's $6 mil as big of a deal as you do. They signed him for five years and rarely do the Pats cut bait on that unless the player was a complete bomb which Amendola wasn't it. He still had 50+ catches and fought through injuries. I think Brady can bring him along, a vet, more so then the young guys who you seem to think were open a lot. They weren't other than Dobson who dropped as many as he caught early on. Brady has a couple of years max and does not have the time to groom young guys who may or may not work out. The Pats need to strike and get him a couple of legit, proven weapons. Not sure who that is but I never saw the Welker or Moss deal from 2007 so they could have anything up their sleeve.

One last thing. I have rarely been right about anything the Pats do in the off-season because they may be the hardest team to figure out in terms of FA and the draft. So with that being said you could be 100 percent right but I have a feeling we will be discussing this again in the coming weeks and scratching our collective heads at their moves. lol.

The cap is expected to go up which should allow for room to add key pieces. I think Wilfork is a better bet to be gone before Amendola given his age, injury and cap number.

I just don't see Amendola's $6 mil as big of a deal as you do. They signed him for five years and rarely do the Pats cut bait on that unless the player was a complete bomb which Amendola wasn't it. He still had 50+ catches and fought through injuries. I think Brady can bring him along, a vet, more so then the young guys who you seem to think were open a lot. They weren't other than Dobson who dropped as many as he caught early on. Brady has a couple of years max and does not have the time to groom young guys who may or may not work out. The Pats need to strike and get him a couple of legit, proven weapons. Not sure who that is but I never saw the Welker or Moss deal from 2007 so they could have anything up their sleeve.

Didn't see that either with the way Bill usually runs his teams...they've gone big name wrs...the last couple years...I just think they stay with what they have...and try to get back to the old days....they simply ran into a buzz saw with Broncos offense. NE has proven they can usually run on anyone and Brady is as clutch as you can get with those 3rd down conversions......lets face it....Gronk is SO BIG to that offense....they are a completely different team with and without him. Adding him back is like adding a big FA acquisition.....just get that defense healthy....and Tom is good for 21 pts with or without threats...you win 12 games easy....its a recipe we've seen work over and over...and if you guys could run the ball a little better against those Giants...you would have had two more SBs.