Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvin Harrison opens up as Hall of Fame nears

bap1331

Former Colts WR Marvin Harrison opens up on eve of Hall of Fame election

It's about time we learn about him. Lol. He's a quiet guy. I can't even imagine him c doing the HOF speech.

Nice job Chappell. I don't remember ever seeing him get a chance to do a piece like that.

Kind of leads to the reasonable assumption that Marv wouldn't want any part of Kravitz. Can't say that I blame him.

LOVE Harrison, and he richly deserves to get into the Hall. I hope they don't screw around with him.

Best section of the article right here IMO: "[Marvin]  Harrison doesn't have Twitter or Facebook accounts.

"Nothing. Nothing," he said. "I don't see the point in it. Call me and we can discuss whatever you want to discuss."

I admire professional athletes who crave human interactions with friends, fans, & family members & they are not preoccupied with stroking their own egos in relationship to their NFL glory days.  :thmup:

Yes Marvin was an exceptional WR, but what made him exceptional is that did not feel the need to showboat on or off the field. He acted like he had been in the endzone before & he would be back there in the next drive on offensive too. All business baby...All business. 

One of my favorite parts of the interview was when he said

"I told coach Dungy in a joking way that, 'I'm the highest-paid practice player in the league. You pay me to practice. The games are on me,' " he said. "That was my motto. Who wouldn't want to play on Sunday?"

I can certainly relate to that.  Being a musician/singer for the past 20+ years,  We've always said   "We get paid for setting up, and tearing down equipment, and for practicing"    The Gigs  are just the FUN part of all of that.  We do that part for Free  ;) "

I hope Marvin gets in this year.  I'd love to see it.   :applause:

Nice job Chappell. I don't remember ever seeing him get a chance to do a piece like that.

Kind of leads to the reasonable assumption that Marv wouldn't want any part of Kravitz. Can't say that I blame him.

LOVE Harrison, and he richly deserves to get into the Hall. I hope they don't screw around with him.

I agree MAC, but it took Art Monk forever to get into Canton & Marvin might have to wait his turn. He will get in eventually, but their does seem to be a long backlog at the HOF WR, yellow jacket position. I want to see him get in ASAP too, but it might not happen in his 1st year of eligibility.

The way I look at it: You are either a HOF player or you are not. Marvin definitely is just that in my book. However, I never remember 1st ballot, 2nd ballot, or 3rd ballot just that you are in that special gridiron fraternity & Mr. Harrison will be there soon enough. 

Besides getting injured was Marvin let go because of the shooting or whatever happened?

No, I think it had more to do with refusing to take a pay cut & Marvin already had won a SB ring so why not call it a career. 

I do remember that shooting incident at his bar, but he was cleared of any wrongdoing & I seriously doubt that the INDY front office would ever dismiss a beloved Colts WR over an incident that Marvin was not responsible for. 

It's about time we learn about him. Lol. He's a quiet guy. I can't even imagine him c doing the HOF speech.

He is so soft spoken & quiet though that it might compel me to listen more closely to what he has to say bap1331. Just like when Tony Dungy gets his yellow jacket. Quiet people those are the ones I really pay attention too. Why? Because they only speak when something significant needs to be said. It's never about them personally; It's strictly for the benefit of everyone in the room for chemistry purposes as a team & collective unit as a whole. 

When do we get to know of Marv made it? Also do they broadcast the ceremony?

Marv was healthy at the time of being released. It was because he didn't take the pay cut.

I believe it is announced the day before Super Bowl.  I believe it is at the same time of the NFL Honors Award Ceremony Saturday..

Besides getting injured was Marvin let go because of the shooting or whatever happened?

No, I think it had more to do with refusing to take a pay cut & Marvin already had won a SB ring so why not call it a career. 

I do remember that shooting incident at his bar, but he was cleared of any wrongdoing & I seriously doubt that the INDY front office would ever dismiss a beloved Colts WR over an incident that Marvin was not responsible for. 

When do we get to know of Marv made it? Also do they broadcast the ceremony?

Marv was healthy at the time of being released. It was because he didn't take the pay cut.

It's highly unlikely that the issue was related to his release because the initial incident happened in the off-season prior to his final season. The prosecutor had actually finally announced that they weren't filing charges AFTER the season, and BEFORE his release.

He was healthy, but he wasn't "quite the same". Don't know about you, but I thought that the pay cut was warranted. He would have been the perfect guy to have as a depth piece, but it would have been a mistake to pay him like a super star. One of the few vet salary decisions that the FO got right during that period.

The more serious incident occurred well after he was released, and no charges arose from that either. My "take" after reading the one in depth article that was done about him is that he might well have been technically guilty of something, but that doesn't mean that he's a criminal, a thug, a bad guy, etc. He's a wealthy man who came back to his home area and tried to make a positive contribution. He owns several businesses and is generally regarded as a welcome presence and a local hero. The adversary in his drama was a local thug who perhaps resented Marvin. He clearly was up to no good. Even if Harrison is guilty technically, it's likely more a matter of defending his territory in a very rough area which approximately 99.99999999% of wealthy athletes would have run from and never looked back. I've never seen anything which suggested a reason to me concerned with his ethics. Quite the opposite.

"I told coach Dungy in a joking way that, 'I'm the highest-paid practice player in the league. You pay me to practice. The games are on me,' " he said. "That was my motto. Who wouldn't want to play on Sunday?"

I can certainly relate to that.  Being a musician/singer for the past 20+ years,  We've always said   "We get paid for setting up, and tearing down equipment, and for practicing"    The Gigs  are just the FUN part of all of that.  We do that part for Free   ;) "

Good point JAF. Being your own road crew & sound check person [You & husband that is] is hardwork & singing/playing live on stage is just letting your hair down & cutting loose. A great analogy there JAN from 1 musician to another.  ;)  :thmup:

Rod Woodson who played for the Ravens & Steelers said pretty much the same thing to Rich Eisein in the early days of NFL Network. "They pay me for  sweating in practice & working through pain & injuries Rich. The games I play for free." LOL! The best players always say that. 

Marvin was always a class act on and off the football field, minus the shooting.

I think that would be the only thing that would keep Marvin out. 

I just keep remembering that piece that OTL did on the Marvin shooting and it was quite shocking to me. 

I am not sure how it played out in the courts but other than that, he is a class act and deserves to be a HOF'er. There are plenty of worse guys in the HOF.

He was healthy, but he wasn't "quite the same". Don't know about you, but I thought that the pay cut was warranted. He would have been the perfect guy to have as a depth piece, but it would have been a mistake to pay him like a super star. One of the few vet salary decisions that the FO got right during that period.

I agree with this.  I seem to remember that he was battling injuries his last few seasons here and it seemed that he had lost a step.  I wasn't surprised when he wasn't resigned, but I was disappointed for him.

Marvin was always a class act on and off the football field, minus the shooting.

I think that would be the only thing that would keep Marvin out. 

I just keep remembering that piece that OTL did on the Marvin shooting and it was quite shocking to me. 

I am not sure how it played out in the courts but other than that, he is a class act and deserves to be a HOF'er. There are plenty of worse guys in the HOF.

It never reached the courts, there wasn't sufficient evidence to bring charges. To a certain extent there is a presumption of "guilt of something" on many of our parts, but that's not really fair.

I agree with this.  I seem to remember that he was battling injuries his last few seasons here and it seemed that he had lost a step.  I wasn't surprised when he wasn't resigned, but I was disappointed for him.

There was one injury on one play that shall "live in infamy". His own teammate landed on his leg - I remember it vividly.

He was still effective when he came back (aside from one out-of-character fumble which cost the Colts dearly) because he was still so good at running routes, catching the ball, and communing with Peyton - but he didn't have that special "something". He was getting up in years as well.

I can certainly relate to that.  Being a musician/singer for the past 20+ years,  We've always said   "We get paid for setting up, and tearing down equipment, and for practicing"    The Gigs  are just the FUN part of all of that.  We do that part for Free   ;) "

YES!!! My bandmates and I say the same exact thing.

Do you guys all pay that $12 a month they want ?

I don't. I live in South Dakota so I'm not terribly interested in the local news of Indy. I certainly miss the Colts news in the Star but I just can't make myself spring for the full subscription. I wish they had a subscription for just 'Colts' news.

Love Marvin, but he disaappeared in the playoffs. TY is what Marvin should have been - clutch in the playoffs.

Harrison: 16 games, 65 catches, 833 yards, 2 TDs.

Hilton: 3 games, 25 catches, 396 yards, 2 TDs.

TY already has close to half of the yards Marvin got, over 1/3 of his catches and as many TDs. In only 3 games! That's the big knock on Marvin. Regular season great, but leaves a lot to be desired when the going gets tough.

Love Marvin, but he disaappeared in the playoffs. TY is what Marvin should have been - clutch in the playoffs.

TY already has close to half of the yards Marvin got, over 1/3 of his catches and as many TDs. In only 3 games! That's the big knock on Marvin. Regular season great, but leaves a lot to be desired when the going gets tough.

That will always be the one bad mark on his resume, but that can also be attributed to the fact Peyton's play typically went down in the playoffs as well.  

I loved Marvin and his work ethic was truly amazing and what set him apart from other guys.We were so spoiled having Reggie and Marvin together.

I do have to laugh at him saying he didn't know what the HOF was.  That is just trying to hard to come off as someone who does not care.  If you play football your whole live and make it to the pros you know what the HOF is.  

I've always loved how quiet and hard working Marvin was.. I miss him..

I lived in Syracuse and some close family was very connected to Syracuse U football. Even had a cousin that played with him there and believe me , MH was at the very least... different.

He was under contract for 3 more EXPENSIVE years and in decline when cut.

I predict he dervedly gets in this year, he was THAT good.

He says he got out healthy and that is great.
 His elders have an eatery to work and play at a block from where he hangs. That is also a neat thing.
 And he appears to enjoy a modest life amongst his Family. 
 He is still running a Great Route.
 I admire his path and am happy for him. He should drive the pace car at the 500 this year!

i put that more on the gameplans and manning than i do harrison