Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Paul Soliai Be The Answer?

GoGoColts

I wanted him last year before the Dolphins franchised him. People might be leary of him given the team he plays for, but I feel he would be awesome against the run. He's the same size as Haloti Ngata plus he's Samoan. You gotta like those big Samoan nose tackles. He'd definitely be an upgrade over Johnson.

Since I have no doubt the Colts will finish as the worse team in the NFL, we should trade away the first selection to the Dolphins who will have the second pick of the draft. With that said we should get Paul Soliai and Vonte Davis and draft picks from the Dolphins, which includes their second overall pick. We get a young skilled corner, and a proven run stuffing nose tackle, and then have the draft pick to take anything we want except Luck who obviously wouldn’t be available. This already helps our team where we are weak on defense, and gives us that trade down scenario with more draft picks to address all the glaring holes!

Great player, but do you realise how expensive he is. He signed a franchise tag this year worth 12M dollars... so if we give him a contract it wouldn't be anything less than 7M in cap space. NOT WORTH IT.

I think that we can do it. We have a lot of free-agents going into a 3rd contract so their salaries won't be as high as they were.

I wanted him last year before the Dolphins franchised him. People might be leary of him given the team he plays for, but I feel he would be awesome against the run. He's the same size as Haloti Ngata plus he's Samoan. You gotta like those big Samoan nose tackles. He'd definitely be an upgrade over Johnson.

It's hard to field a credible NFL defense without a Samoan and a guy with dreads.

Or we trade the first pick to the Dolphins and get this guy as a part of the trade....

That might be something to consider. I would swap picks with Soliai included. Technically, they can franchise him one more time, but I think that they are looking to go in a different direction.

Consider Vonte Davis is the only player in the trade under contract, only in his third season of his rookie contract, which would be very cap friendly for the Colts! Not saying they would let him go, but for their QB of the future who is very hyped, I could certainly see that happening, plus it would limit the amount of picks we would get back and they know that. Soliai is playing under the franchise tag, which would make him a URFA if I am not mistaken? So wouldn’t this mean we would have to trade for him anyway, surely his salary would have to come down some with a lack of success from the Dolphins this season, especially if they feel he is expendable. For someone proven to be solid and successful at his position why would we not splurge on this particular position, when it’s a position of dire need, and the guy is not a rookie, he would come in and have an instant impact.