Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

#1 DEF vs #1 OFF?

Black-Vell

What does this mean? Allow me to give my worthless opinion on this upcoming Super Bowl. First of all, lets clear the air of who I am picking to win so the rest of my words can be read with the proper bias. If we get any sort of "manageable  weather" this will be over by the 4th quarter, DEN 45 - SEA 24.   

Now back to why. First off, a couple questions, did you watch AND understand what Peyton did to New England's DEF last week? B Belichick is considered a "genius" when it comes to DEF game planning. It pains me to agree, but I cannot ignore some of his risks that have reaped rewards. With that said, Peyton completely made their gameplan so ineffective, it was respectfully embarrassing. Peyton even starting throwing blind backside out routes as if to say not only does he know what they are doing, he doesnt even need to follow his progression or check down. After he made them keep that Safety out the box, game over. But I wont get any deeper into it.

Let's talk about how this translates against the #1 DEF in the NFL. Yes, SEA is the #1 DEF, BUT. It is not the greatest DEF of all time. DEN is not only the #1 OFF, it is the GREATEST OFF to EVER play in the NFL. Major difference.

But let's not just throw irrelevant titles around and actually get into gameplay. The difference between what sets Peyton apart and makes him unstoppable at times, ironically, is all of the things that they use against his "legacy" . Pay attention, this is also why A Luck is already a Top 10 QB. Peyton has thrown an INT to lose a game at every level possible. From setting the INT record as a rookie, to losing a Super Bowl. And it is those heartbreaking mistakes that give him the ability to do the most important thing as a QB against ANY DEF, DO NOT HOLD THE BALL. After all of the gyrations at the line, signals and code words, the ball comes out. PERIOD.

"There is no defending the perfect throw" - Trent Dilfer. Perfect throw does not necessarily mean spiral. Its more about timing. Remember the two big catches D Thomas had on double moves? The ball was halfway there BEFORE the second cut. Yes, R Sherman will be on D Thomas, but the game will be about who is checking J Thomas and W Welker? Side Note - didn't Peyton go deep for a TD the 1st play of the game to M Harrison against D Revis one year? Don't be shocked if he tries him early if they get aggressive with their Safeties. And you know they will, they're gonna have to.

Let's also touch on how the game will become a blowout. DEN OL is the best in the NFL. Translation - SEA will be forced to take people from coverage to pass rush placing Safeties into coverage. No pass rush + no Safety help = game over.

Just my thoughts, please do not respond as if I was trying to make my opinion yours. I'm really just putting my prediction down to see how well I can tell the future. Oh yeah, could someone confirm the D Revis burn, I cant find it and am starting to doubt my memory. Thanks.  

The game is going be squarely on Seattles offense in my opinion, Its been proven if you throw off Peytons timing with his receivers and get pressure on Peyton up the middle (Seattle has the personnel to do both) then that team is very beatable. If Wilson can make some plays with legs while managing the game with his arm I expect Seattle will win this game

Another issue is Seattle isn't very good playing away from home. Fun fact: Peyton is the only player on both teams to have won a Superbowl, so he has been to this rodeo before. He will be calm, composed, and know how to work his tail off in the right way to prepare for the big game (and yea, this means practicing with wet footballs, lol).

I don't think Seattle stands a chance. This will be a bit of a lop-sided Denver victory imo. Probably 38-14.

The game is going be squarely on Seattles offense in my opinion, Its been proven if you throw off Peytons timing with his receivers and get pressure on Peyton up the middle (Seattle has the personnel to do both) then that team is very beatable. If Wilson can make some plays with legs while managing the game with his arm I expect Seattle will win this game

SEA OFF is going to help this become a blowout. On OFF, SEA has been extremely unimpressive. Due to the lack of OFF, SF was one panicked throw from winning that game. Keap knows he was suppose to run that in from the 11. I mean dang T Brady ran one in from the 6 a few hours earlier. And don't forget if NO OFF would have done anything in the 1st half that game was also up for the taking.

A Luck showed the world what can happen to the #1 DEF if you throw the ball around with proper reads and no fear. I do not feel it is much of a gamble to expect the #1 OFF to do the same. Side note - SEA wasn't even the #1 DEF then, KC was. 

What does this mean? Allow me to give my worthless opinion on this upcoming Super Bowl. First of all, lets clear the air of who I am picking to win so the rest of my words can be read with the proper bias. If we get any sort of "manageable weather" this will be over by the 4th quarter, DEN 45 - SEA 24.

Now back to why. First off, a couple questions, did you watch AND understand what Peyton did to New England's DEF last week? B Belichick is considered a "genius" when it comes to DEF game planning. It pains me to agree, but I cannot ignore some of his risks that have reaped rewards. With that said, Peyton completely made their gameplan so ineffective, it was respectfully embarrassing. Peyton even starting throwing blind backside out routes as if to say not only does he know what they are doing, he doesnt even need to follow his progression or check down. After he made them keep that Safety out the box, game over. But I wont get any deeper into it.

Let's talk about how this translates against the #1 DEF in the NFL. Yes, SEA is the #1 DEF, BUT. It is not the greatest DEF of all time. DEN is not only the #1 OFF, it is the GREATEST OFF to EVER play in the NFL. Major difference.

But let's not just throw irrelevant titles around and actually get into gameplay. The difference between what sets Peyton apart and makes him unstoppable at times, ironically, is all of the things that they use against his "legacy" . Pay attention, this is also why A Luck is already a Top 10 QB. Peyton has thrown an INT to lose a game at every level possible. From setting the INT record as a rookie, to losing a Super Bowl. And it is those heartbreaking mistakes that give him the ability to do the most important thing as a QB against ANY DEF, DO NOT HOLD THE BALL. After all of the gyrations at the line, signals and code words, the ball comes out. PERIOD.

"There is no defending the perfect throw" - Trent Dilfer. Perfect throw does not necessarily mean spiral. Its more about timing. Remember the two big catches D Thomas had on double moves? The ball was halfway there BEFORE the second cut. Yes, R Sherman will be on D Thomas, but the game will be about who is checking J Thomas and W Welker? Side Note - didn't Peyton go deep for a TD the 1st play of the game to M Harrison against D Revis one year? Don't be shocked if he tries him early if they get aggressive with their Safeties. And you know they will, they're gonna have to.

Let's also touch on how the game will become a blowout. DEN OL is the best in the NFL. Translation - SEA will be forced to take people from coverage to pass rush placing Safeties into coverage. No pass rush + no Safety help = game over.

Just my thoughts, please do not respond as if I was trying to make my opinion yours. I'm really just putting my prediction down to see how well I can tell the future. Oh yeah, could someone confirm the D Revis burn, I cant find it and am starting to doubt my memory. Thanks.

The Colts, yes our Colts, held Denver to just 14 first half points. The Colts DL, mainly Mathis, was all over the backfield. Vontae held DT to 1 catch for 3 yards. Seattle's defense is quite a few steps ahead of where the Colts are. Seattle's defense has stopped their fair share of explosive offenses as New Orleans is no slouch. The ONLY weakness I have noticed about Seattle is their inability to consistently cover speed receivers, which Denver doesn't really have.

Seattle has also done outstanding in taking away TE's especially some of the best in the game. In the 4 games against New Orleans and San Francisco, Seattle gave up just 87 yards and 2 touchdowns against arguably 2 of the best TE's in the game. Julius Thomas is good, but he's no Jimmy Graham or Vernon Davis, yet.

I look for Seattle to open the flood gates in terms of willingly telling Peyton "we are inviting you to run the ball all you want". Seattle will probably drop 6,7,8 guys consistently. I don't think there is much of a need to blitz Peyton, especially not with that defensive front that Seattle has. More than likely Peyton will start getting antsy and begin throwing the ball into coverage instead of taking what defense gives him. We've seen it all too well in previous playoff games. Our 05' playoff game against the Steelers where Edgerrin is averaging 5ypc, yet Peyton is wanting to continue chucking the ball around when Pittsburgh is continuously dropping 7 guys into coverage. Why? The game against the Saints in the Superbowl was pretty much the same thing. The Saints rarely blitzed, dropping multiple guys into coverage, while the running backs are averaging 5ypc, yet Peyton keeps playing in the hands of the defense.

If Peyton takes this approach against Seattle, Seattle won't need to do much offensively as they will probably get a score or two on defense alone. Peyton has got to wear down that Seattle defensive front, and run the ball. If he thinks he's going to go out there and pass it all over that defense, he's going to get hit a lot and end up causing turnovers.

I think Peyton ends up going out there, and trying to prove a point, start throwing the ball all over the place and put the Broncos in a serious bad spot. I think Seattle wins 24-20.

As a rule great D usually beats great O. This game comes down to the Seattle O and how much it can ball control and score. I think the Seattle D keeps Denver under 30 the way both the Chargers and Pats did but can they score 30 is the question.

No they can't score 30.

imo the Seattle D has to hold them in the low 20 range. Which is possible. That's a pretty nasty D.

IMO, the X factor in this game is Wes Welker.  If Seattle can not control Wes then the game is good as over.  If Seattle doubles Wes, the D. Thomas or E, Decker will have one on one and Peyton will have fun.  Then big problem for the Broncos will which one of their Defenses shows up.

For those predicting a blowout by Denver: it's been 2 1/2 seasons since the Seahawks have lost a game by more than 7 points. That's 44 games (including the playoffs) and they are 32-12 over that stretch. Those 12 losses were by a combined 52 points which is an average of 4.3 per loss. About half of those 44 games were on the road where they are allegedly bad despite winning 9 of their last 12 away from home and haven't been more than one play away from winning or tying the game in each of their losses since November of 2011.

Good defense and and a strong running game travel well through a variety of conditions, including New Jersey in February.

As a rule great D usually beats great O. This game comes down to the Seattle O and how much it can ball control and score. I think the Seattle D keeps Denver under 30 the way both the Chargers and Pats did but can they score 30 is the question.

I think Seattle will hold Denver under 30..

and you are right...the 'wild card'; is Seattle offense..which is hard to predict....They cant go 10-down like they did to SF..

........I;ve never understood why a team this strong defensively does not play well away from home