Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Goodell: NFL would consider allowing medical marijuana

bap1331

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday the NFL would consider allowing athletes to use marijuana to treat concussions and other head injuries if medical experts deemed it a legitimate solution."

You could drive a truck through the words "a legitimate solution." Talk about a WIDE loophole there. 

I'm willing to bet that this has more to do with not having to suspend and fine players ad nauseum than it has to do with being a medical solution for concussions.  Fact is, the league is suspending and fining players for using an "undisclosed substance" in violation of the substance abuse policy more than it ever has before.  It makes the league look bad, especially since it attempts to be a model for the youth leagues. 

Von Miller just did fifty cartwheels, torn ACL and all.

Lol, I know someone from Colorado who gets prescribed MM for a knee injury. Von Miller probably is jumping for joy. He could say something to the extent that, "My knee is fine however it hurts sometimes." The Doc would be like "Ok here is a script for 8 oz."

haha

He cant..and he wont

Its not legal in all NFL states..

...and even if it is.....there's liability in authorizing players to get high..

..anything that happened to them that could be even remotely blamed on weed would be on the NFL..

He cant..and he wont

Its not legal in all NFL states..

...and even if it is.....there's liability in authorizing players to get high..

..anything that happened to them that could be even remotely blamed on weed would be on the NFL..

You're no more liable then not banning them from consuming alcohol. No difference in how it would be treated.

You're no more liable then not banning them from consuming alcohol. No difference in how it would be treated.

House..Yes you are...

Its not not  'banning' weed............................. its authorizing it for killing pain

NFL players are not authorized to use Seagram's 7 or 'Old Grand Dad' for 'medicinal purposes...after a concussion

If you state offcially that the use of marijuana as a painkiller is authorized by the NFL...

Once you say you're Okay using it as a 'medicine' or 'painkiller' you are very much legally resposnsible for its long term effects...

...How many players will sue in 20 years when they become addicted to weed..go on to harder stuff and claim the NFL put them on that path??

House..Yes you are...

Its not not 'banning' weed............................. its authorizing it for killing pain

NFL players are not authorized to use Seagram's 7 or 'Old Grand Dad' for 'medicinal purposes...after a concussion

If you state offcially that the use of marijuana as a painkiller is authorized by the NFL...

Once you say you're Okay using it as a 'medicine' or 'painkiller' you are very much legally resposnsible for its long term effects...

...How many players will sue in 20 years when they become addicted to weed..go on to harder stuff and claim the NFL put them on that path??

The same amount who get addicted to painkillers already?

The NFL approving or disapproving only leaves them liable to a very small extent. Much smaller then what you seem to have envisioned. I can't hypothetically sue my doctor because he prescribed me a pain killer or medical marijuana, and now I'm doing heroine.

It's not the NFLs responsibility to make sure legal pain medications are being used safely. The players have culpability in that too. The NFL saying its a viable alternative to relieving pain, isn't forcing players to use it. It's still a choice.

Not to mention the fact, that it's much easier to get addicted to pain killers in the form of pills because you can actually withdrawal from not taking them. Same can't be said on the same scale for a "weed addiction."

It will be coming to EVERY state VERY SOON when they see how much revenue there is to made.

And it would put shady drug dealers out of business.      It only makes sense.  

And MariJane is NOT addictive physically.     Only mentally.     HUGE difference.    Opiats are the work of Satan, they are incredibly addictive.

Kind of ironic a MD can give you one of the most addictive substances on Earth.   But something that can work just as well in many cases and can be grown in your own garden and NOT addictive is illegal.   Good ole USA

But it's not legal in all states so only certain NFL teams would be c able to use them like Chargers, Raiders, 49ers, Seahawks, and Broncos?

the best part, lol.

But also you cant get addicted to weed.

You can a mental addiction, and have small, and I stress small, physical withdrawals from it. Such as insomnia, and irritability.

But on the scale of harder drugs its withdrawal symptoms are an absolute joke.

Goodell has really ruined the integrity of the game about! He has done some good things with the concussions. But still, getting rid of extra points and allow medical marijuana. Guy really lost my respect in a heartbeat!

Goodell is the figure head for the owners. Hate them, not the fall guy.

Meh it's not really a big deal if it is allowed. Nothing wrong with it if the player has a legitimate reason for it and a doctor gives them a prescription. 

Goodell has really ruined the integrity of the game about! He has done some good things with the concussions. But still, getting rid of extra points and allow medical marijuana. Guy really lost my respect in a heartbeat!

Because the NFL is a shining example of great integrity?

It will be coming to EVERY state VERY SOON when they see how much revenue there is to made.

And it would put shady drug dealers out of business. It only makes sense.

And MariJane is NOT addictive physically. Only mentally. HUGE difference. Opiats are the work of Satan, they are incredibly addictive.

Kind of ironic a MD can give you one of the most addictive substances on Earth. But something that can work just as well in many cases and can be grown in your own garden and NOT addictive is illegal. Good ole USA

Mental addiction is still a huge problem+it's a gateway drug.

Meh it's not really a big deal if it is allowed. Nothing wrong with it if the player has a legitimate reason for it and a doctor gives them a prescription.

Because the NFL is a shining example of great integrity?

This post wins the thread.

The NFL approving or disapproving only leaves them liable to a very small extent. Much smaller then what you seem to have envisioned. I can't hypothetically sue my doctor because he prescribed me a pain killer or medical marijuana, and now I'm doing heroine.

It's not the NFLs responsibility to make sure legal pain medications are being used safely. The players have culpability in that too. The NFL saying its a viable alternative to relieving pain, isn't forcing players to use it. It's still a choice.

Not to mention the fact, that it's much easier to get addicted to pain killers in the form of pills because you can actually withdrawal from not taking them. Same can't be said on the same scale for a "weed addiction."

You most certainly can sue your doctor for malpractice if he prescribes a drug that hurts you or that you become addicted to..

Of course you can.

Weed doesnt cure anything..so you don't have to use it to get better so you can play

The NFL saying it is a viable painkiller makes then potentially liable..because you don't need it to recover

Players had culpability in the ehad trauma issue too..and they won a billion dollar (and counting) settle ment 

Pills and their addictive nature isn't the issue.......  If you say that weed is an accepted painkiller...you are liable for all its effects.. 

The NFL should just say  'no'..