Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why does Brady always opt out of the pro Bowl?

ricker182

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a man crush on him or something?? My gosh this is a colts forum you act like were all supposed to love Tom as much as the patriots fans. Sorry pal not gonna happen

The New York Jets hate the Patriots and Tom even more, or so I thought!  Go venture over to their board and you won't see 1/100th of the turd threads that are being posted on this board on a daily basis.

The New York Jets hate the Patriots and Tom even more, or so I thought! Go venture over to their board and you won't see 1/100th of the turd threads that are being posted on this board on a daily basis.

Well we have to deal with all you trolls so maybe we do this to annoy you I don't know. But you think the amount of Brady threads is disturbing? Well I think the number of pats fans that troll a colts forum is disturbing.

Well we have to deal with all you trolls so maybe we do this to annoy you I don't know. But you think the amount of Brady threads is disturbing? Well I think the number of pats fans that troll a colts forum is disturbing.

a troll?  ive been on this forum since 2002 contributing to all discussions.. being a pats fan doesnt make us trolls

The question is: Why does anyone go to the Pro Bowl..other than  to vacation in Hawaii..

I don't think anyone takes the Pro Bowl as anything more than that.   

To me ~ it's the equivalent of the People's Choice Awards   or something.

It's a way to wrap up the season for those players who didn't make the Super Bowl,  Send them on a nice vacation,  and for the most part I think the players that do get voted in,  really enjoy it ~ they enjoy the relaxed atmosphere,  a friendly competition of  playing a game of catch with their peers, and having a good time together.      

Some however choose to not participate...  Nothing to get all bent out of shape about.

I don't think that's true.

In my experience, musicians actually go out of their way to watch the other bands that they're on tour with, despite the fact that they're playing the same selection of songs night after night.

The lesser bands do occasionally because they're killing time before they have to go on. Bigger stars no since they arrive later. I'm just pointing out there is a difference between the actor who does it for a living and the audience/fan who watches.  For instance I don't own a stereo because I play instead.  So in the car I rarely listen to music.

My guess is that hes just mentally and physically exhausted. He's not even a week removed from another devastating loss in the AFC Championship game... He doesn't need the money and he doesn't need the vacation, he can go wherever he wants in the world.

By him not going, it also gives a shot to another QB as an alternate who may appreciate the opportunity more.

I think its pretty obvious that the Pro Bowl is a joke, hence their viewership ratings going down and the NFL nearly eliminating the game all together because of how uncompetitive and uninteresting the games are.

Hes not middle fingering anyone, he's done this for awhile now. He's been nursing injuries all year and he just lost the AFCCG, he doesn't want to go to Hawaii and play catch with everyone in a meaningless game 1 week after a crushing defeat.

At the end of the day its just another chance to get injured in a game that is utterly meaningless and uninteresting. I don't even watch the Pro Bowl, its a total joke and everyone knows it. Not surprising though that yet another attempt at assassinating Brady's character is being made after the fact... Ive never seen people pile it on so much after a loss... The Jets are our most heated/hated rival and they have 1 or Brady threads oin their NFL general section about him after the loss..

Its pretty disturbing how obsessed some of you are with him... obsessed with trying to paint him into a monster and twist everything to fit your own bias perception. Every single thing he does there are posters here that try to use it and twist it in a way that makes him out to be some horrible human being that hates puppies and children and sustains himself off of the tears of babies.

I've been keeping a list of posters though... What goes around comes back around.

Karma.

Did I make the list?

Yeah, and do you understand what it means to be a fan? You wouldn't hear LeBron James say "I'm not watching the NBA Finals because I'm not in it." So what makes Brady any better than that?

He never said he wasn't watching it because he wasnt in it.  He was asked a question on a local radio station by guys hes talked to for years on that segment and he answered the question and said he had no vested interested in the outcome of the game.  A sentiment im sure a large percentage of other NFL athletes share, but they aren't Tom Brady so nobody cares.

Did I make the list?

No you didn't actually.. just the people that have make intentionally spiteful remarks towards some pats fans here that are literally taking pleasure in the suffering of others.  That is never how I have conducted myself as a human being throughout my life, never mind for something petty like someone else rooting for a different team.

They will be reminded when the time comes, but not in a spiteful way like they've chosen to do, and more in a way of a guilty conscience when I acknowledge how they're feeling and link them to posts they've made when others were feeling the same way.  It won't be done publicly in a thread either, just a friendly private message letting them know that others have shared similar emotions and that maybe they should consider that next time they decide to make malicious posts.  Perhaps then they might take a moment of self reflection and be better off for it.

No you didn't actually.. just the people that have make intentionally spiteful remarks towards some pats fans here that are literally taking pleasure in the suffering of others. That is never how I have conducted myself as a human being throughout my life, never mind for something petty like someone else rooting for a different team.

They will be reminded when the time comes, but not in a spiteful way like they've chosen to do, and more in a way of a guilty conscience when I acknowledge how they're feeling and link them to posts they've made when others were feeling the same way. It won't be done publicly in a thread either, just a friendly private message letting them know that others have shared similar emotions and that maybe they should consider that next time they decide to make malicious posts. Perhaps then they might take a moment of self reflection and be better off for it.

I was just kidding anyways haha.

He hasn't attended since 2004.

Kind of seems like a middle finger to the fans that voted him there.

Is it Belichick telling him not to go?

He realizes the game is a joke and he doesn't want to lower himself.

Besides, someone needs to clean the dishes while Gisele does all the work.

Just seems odd to me is all. NBA and MLB players attend games/watch them on TV or even attend the playoffs/post season. I don't see why Brady can't sack up and watch a game of the sport he plays simply because he isn't in it. Seems immature to me.

It is not at all odd.  You do not see NBA players going to other NBA games.  Lebron is not going to a Lakers game and Kobe is not going to a Knicks game.  You may see professional athletes from different sports going like Redding going to a Pacers game, but you are not going to catch players going to other games.

Most players are usually the most competitive people in our society and seeing other players where they want to be is something I am sure they do not want to see.  

Players skip the Pro Bowl all of the time.  Football is such a violent sport and takes out so much from these players.  Being forced to go play a meaningless game has to just be an annoyance. 

Yeah, and do you understand what it means to be a fan? You wouldn't hear LeBron James say "I'm not watching the NBA Finals because I'm not in it." So what makes Brady any better than that?

Exactly... who cares what UGG boy is actually gonna do during the super bowl, the fact that he had to tell everyone that he wasn't gonna watch says it all...

He never said he wasn't watching it because he wasnt in it.  He was asked a question on a local radio station by guys hes talked to for years on that segment and he answered the question and said he had no vested interested in the outcome of the game.  A sentiment im sure a large percentage of other NFL athletes share, but they aren't Tom Brady so nobody cares.

Brady is the face of the pats franchise, he gets a mic. in his face after every game, whenever a franchise player comes out and says "I am not watching the championship game" the week after being ousted, it sorta looks like he's a pouting...

Exactly... who cares what UGG boy is actually gonna do during the super bowl, the fact that he had to tell everyone that he wasn't gonna watch says it all...

Brady is the face of the pats franchise, he gets a mic. in his face after every game, whenever a franchise player comes out and says "I am not watching the championship game" the week after being ousted, it sorta looks like he's a pouting...

I would challenge you to actually listen to the segment and come to the conclusion that hes pouting or whining in any way shape or form.  

I would challenge you to actually listen to the segment and come to the conclusion that hes pouting or whining in any way shape or form.  

that's fair, I am wasting time on my lunch break & cant get audio on my work computer, I just read his quotes...

but it still seems like he could have deflected the issue in a different manner...

This guy plays in Super Bowls not Pro Bowls...while I believe he should show up to sign autographs etc..I don't see any problem with not playing. Besides he usually has either played the week before or after...probably only 1 or 2 times he was out in the divisional rd.

What I would like to do with the pro bowl?? Turn it into a 7 on 7 flag football or something...you get like 4 teams and play a round robbin or something....have guys like Jerry and Prime draft and then just let them play....sure it wouldn't be football but at least it would be interesting because you could see these guys out of the pads acting goofy and having fun hopefully.

Maybe because he realizes the NFL Pro Bowl is a monumental waste of time? Any player who actually makes the squad is "above it." The Pro Bowl is the NFL equivalent of a high school drama production. I haven't watched 30 seconds of a Pro Bowl in over 10 years.  

And I'm pretty sure, a couple of weeks back, a lot of Indy fans threatened to not watch the Super Bowl if it was going to be Patriots-49ers or Patriots-Seahawks!

So wanting to check out after a tough loss is not normal? Just imagine if you actually had something invested in this, like seven months of hard work, pain, and sacrifice? Instead of just sitting on couches in our living rooms scarfing down nachos and beer? I'm sure the guy is still devastated from the loss, and probably wants to be with his wife and kids, and to avoid anything football-related at all costs for a while. Heck, that's what I did with myself for most of Sunday night! 

Maybe because he realizes the NFL Pro Bowl is a monumental waste of time? Any player who actually makes the squad is "above it." The Pro Bowl is the NFL equivalent of a high school drama production. I haven't watched 30 seconds of a Pro Bowl in over 10 years.  

And I'm pretty sure, a couple of weeks back, a lot of Indy fans threatened to not watch the Super Bowl if it was going to be Patriots-49ers or Patriots-Seahawks!

So wanting to check out after a tough loss is not normal? Just imagine if you actually had something invested in this, like seven months of hard work, pain, and sacrifice? Instead of just sitting on couches in our living rooms scarfing down nachos and beer? I'm sure the guy is still devastated from the loss, and probably wants to be with his wife and kids, and to avoid anything football-related at all costs for a while. Heck, that's what I did with myself for most of Sunday night! 

I always say if a team I don't like or have zero interest in is going to the Super Bowl that I won't watch it. Guess what though? I always end up watching it. Why? Because it's the damn Super Bowl. I don't really care about Brady not going to the Pro Bowl. I really don't. Opting out after you've been voted in? Sure, who cares. It isn't required by the league to go. My issue is him not watching the Super Bowl, the pinnacle of the sport he plays for simply because he doesn't care. I think it's a * move.

Posted · Hidden by -JJ-, January 24, 2014 - name insult and baiting
Hidden by -JJ-, January 24, 2014 - name insult and baiting

Why would he go to the pro bowl or watch the SB when he could be doing this?

because you play in the national football league maybe

My guess is that hes just mentally and physically exhausted.  He's not even a week removed from another devastating loss in the AFC Championship game...  

Hes not middle fingering anyone, he's done this for awhile now. He's been nursing injuries all year and he just lost the AFCCG, he doesn't want to go to Hawaii 

Isn't he always injured at the end of the year since he hasn't won a superbowl in 10 years without a top 3 defense? 

all i hear in your banter is Brady is butt hurt that Peyton stompped the living tar outve him, and literally rubbed his face in the dirt in the afc championship game...all i hear

how did people ever think this empty shell pretty boy was the GOAT? I mean I guess A.J McCaron is the GOAT of college QBs. THAAA444AA RIII111NGZZXZ GUYZZ!!!! gimme a break

you think the GOAT would have the audacity and compassion for other people besides his bf Belichick and his super model wife to spend a week in Hawaii, get a free vacation, and toss the football.

...but no he will be pouting in his room telling people to turn down the volume of the superbowl so hearing peyton say omaha one more time wont trigger his ptsd

I love how you make these bold statements like you know for a fact what Brady is thinking and his reasons for doing things. 

You have absolutely no clue why he does or doesn't attend those games, but to suggest its because he thinks hes above it is just more of this consistent rubbing of salt in an open wound after a loss behavior that seems to be a lot of posters on this boards MO.

Also ending your ridiculous post with a statement about how you have an "objective" viewpoint is hilarious... Just take a look at this NFL general section and its pretty OBVIOUS that objectivity is seriously lacking here.

You obviously have no clue what being objective even means.  You spew hate for Brady and the Patriots all year long, you are anything but objective.

:'(

Whats your logic behind "he believes himself above it"? Make your case

I see an obvious situation, and I use logic to come up with an obvious explanation.

Has he been injured every year since 2004? What other player has snubbed the Pro Bowl with such regularity?

He has a responsibility to attend, he entered the NFL draft knowing full well what was expected from him as an NFL players. However early success apparently meant he was above this. Of course Patriots fans, as they always do, will jump to his defense and talk about how meaningless the Pro Bowl is, but the NFL is driven by it's fans, so as long as the Pro Bowl exists, players should not be able to opt out unless injury can be proven.

Just an observation here...and not trying to turn this into a Manning v. Brady thing....But Manning has nearly always attended in and played in the Pro Bowl. I don't have the time to look this up, but from memory he has always been there (excluding SB games and 2011) when chosen. Even after the gut-wrenching one and dones, he shows up.

Just my observation, and feel free to point out a time where he didn't show up, other than due to a legitimate injury.

Interesting (old) observation from Manning....from a 2008 USA Today article:

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning hasn't missed a regular-season or postseason start in his 10-year career.

He also hasn't missed any of the eight Pro Bowls he's been selected to.

The same can't be said for some of his peers, who have cited injuries (legitimate or otherwise) over the years for skipping out on the season-ending All-Star game.

This season, 17 players pulled out of the Pro Bowl and there were 41 first-timers.

"I think you have an obligation to come," Manning said. "If you get voted on by the coaches, opponents' coaches, opponents' players and the fans, I think you have an obligation to go. I know the guys are really enjoying themselves and taking a lot of pride being here."

My guess is that hes just mentally and physically exhausted.  He's not even a week removed from another devastating loss in the AFC Championship game...  He doesn't need the money and he doesn't need the vacation, he can go wherever he wants in the world.  

By him not going, it also gives a shot to another QB as an alternate who may appreciate the opportunity more.

I think its pretty obvious that the Pro Bowl is a joke, hence their viewership ratings going down and the NFL nearly eliminating the game all together because of how uncompetitive and uninteresting the games are.  

Hes not middle fingering anyone, he's done this for awhile now. He's been nursing injuries all year and he just lost the AFCCG, he doesn't want to go to Hawaii and play catch with everyone in a meaningless game 1 week after a crushing defeat. 

At the end of the day its just another chance to get injured in a game that is utterly meaningless and uninteresting.  I don't even watch the Pro Bowl, its a total joke and everyone knows it.  Not surprising though that yet another attempt at assassinating Brady's character is being made after the fact... Ive never seen people pile it on so much after a loss... The Jets are our most heated/hated rival and they have 1 or Brady threads oin their NFL general section about him after the loss..

Its pretty disturbing how obsessed some of you are with him... obsessed with trying to paint him into a monster and twist everything to fit your own bias perception.  Every single thing he does there are posters here that try to use it and twist it in a way that makes him out to be some horrible human being that hates puppies and children and sustains himself off of the tears of babies.  

I've been keeping a list of posters though...  What goes around comes back around.

Karma.

JerodMayo51 - I am with you. Its a meaningless game. I get it.

I think what everyone is trying to say here is how he answered the question. Quite disrespectful to the game and the players in it. He could just say politely, " i would or wouldnt watch, i am pretty exhausted right now". Bill Belichick was asked the same question and he answered it perfectly.

Isnt it Brady who recently commented about Sherman saying " we win with graciousness".

What happend to his graciousness to the SB question?.

I always say if a team I don't like or have zero interest in is going to the Super Bowl that I won't watch it. Guess what though? I always end up watching it. Why? Because it's the damn Super Bowl. I don't really care about Brady not going to the Pro Bowl. I really don't. Opting out after you've been voted in? Sure, who cares. It isn't required by the league to go. My issue is him not watching the Super Bowl, the pinnacle of the sport he plays for simply because he doesn't care. I think it's a * move.

Well I certainly don't begrudge your opinion, but I also would bet that a good number of NFL stars who are on the losing side on conference championship weekend do the same and don't watch the big game. They just aren't interviewed or asked about it. 

:'(

I see an obvious situation, and I use logic to come up with an obvious explanation.

Has he been injured every year since 2004? What other player has snubbed the Pro Bowl with such regularity?

He has a responsibility to attend, he entered the NFL draft knowing full well what was expected from him as an NFL players. However early success apparently meant he was above this. Of course Patriots fans, as they always do, will jump to his defense and talk about how meaningless the Pro Bowl is, but the NFL is driven by it's fans, so as long as the Pro Bowl exists, players should not be able to opt out unless injury can be proven.

Im not a Patriots fan.......And players that are chosen to go to the pro bowl are not mandated to go, Many rather use that time to allow there body to recover rather then playing a meaningless game and potentially get hurt doing it

Im not a Patriots fan.......And players that are chosen to go to the pro bowl are not mandated to go, Many rather use that time to allow there body to recover rather then playing a meaningless game and potentially get hurt doing it

Yeah we wouldnt want a qb to be hurt in a game where you can only rush 4 defenders and have a few people in the box. He has just as much chance of getting hurt as whats his name in the pro bowl...oh i forgot what was his name? Who got hurt in the probowl playing qb? Ill let you know when i remmber it....(no one)

I have stated this before.  I see this game as nothing more than players having fun together at the end of a very long season.  Getting together on a "group vacation"  so to speak.   Fellowship amongst  colleagues... It's called camaraderie.   Some choose to participate, others don't.     Not really worth arguing about.  :dunno:

.ca·ma·ra·de·rie

ˌkäm(ə)ˈrädərē,ˌkam-,-ˈrad-/
noun

1. 1.
    mutual trust and friendship among people who spend a lot of time together.
    "a genuine camaraderie on the hockey team"

Yeah we wouldnt want a qb to be hurt in a game where you can only rush 4 defenders and have a few people in the box. He has just as much chance of getting hurt as whats his name in the pro bowl...oh i forgot what was his name? Who got hurt in the probowl playing qb? Ill let you know when i remmber it....(no one)

Gavin actually pointed out to me that Drew brees dislocated his elbow in 07

Drew Brees.....yes you can get hurt in a Pro Bowl no matter how many your rushing, Many different ways a player can get hurt