Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why does Brady always opt out of the pro Bowl?

ricker182

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In years past, the reasons were he's going to the Superbowl or he had an injury. Now, I'm not sure there's any excuse, other than he thinks it's a waste of time.

On a separate note, I'm also disappointed Bill Belichick is not in the NFL Head Coaches Association, hence he is not in any of the Madden titles. He and Sean Payton are the only ones like this. I'm not going to say this is a middle finger to the fans, but it's annoying they keep doing this.

He hasn't attended since 2004.

Kind of seems like a middle finger to the fans that voted him there.

Is it Belichick telling him not to go?

I am not sure why he does it . . . I do know that many of the years he was injured . . . but there have been years where he has been healthy . . . I am not a fan of him opting out as the fans and coaches voted him it . . . it not a much a middle finger as much as he does not want to get injured at the game and likely it is anticlimactic for him as it is for me as a fan . . . i

I am not sure why he does it . . . I do know that many of the years he was injured . . . but there have been years where he has been healthy . . . I am not a fan of him opting out as the fans and coaches voted him it . . . it not a much a middle finger as much as he does not want to get injured at the game and likely it is anticlimactic for him as it is for me as a fan . . . i

He's also refusing to watch the Super Bowl. You'd think as a player and a fan of the game, he'd at least have the decency to watch and support it. Not being in the game isn't a excuse to not sit on his butt and watch it at home. Kind of pathetic if you ask me.

"I don't have much of a rooting interest, truthfully," he said. "Those games are hard to watch. I don't really see myself sitting down to enjoy a football game to watch it. Our season's over. Truthfully, I could care less about watching the game. That's pretty much how I feel."

- Tom Brady.

In the NHL, if you miss the All Star game, you get a one game suspension. Now there's 82 games, but still.

I think the NFL should give the players a fine if the players don't show up. The only players excluded should be players in the Super Bowl and players in the Championship games and injured players of course. 

He's also refusing to watch the Super Bowl. You'd think as a player and a fan of the game, he'd at least have the decency to watch and support it. Not being in the game isn't a excuse to not sit on his butt and watch it at home. Kind of pathetic if you ask me.

"I don't have much of a rooting interest, truthfully," he said. "Those games are hard to watch. I don't really see myself sitting down to enjoy a football game to watch it. Our season's over. Truthfully, I could care less about watching the game. That's pretty much how I feel."

- Tom Brady.

Sports players don't generally watch others because they're in the same business. Musicians don't go to concerts in the same vein. Just not the same interest because they actually do it.

OTOH you as a FAN do. The actor or in this case the football player is in a different place than you or I.

Sports players don't generally watch others because they're in the same business. Musicians don't go to concerts in the same vein. Just not the same interest because they actually do it.

OTOH you as a FAN do. The actor or in this case the football player is in a different place than you or I.

Just seems odd to me is all. NBA and MLB players attend games/watch them on TV or even attend the playoffs/post season. I don't see why Brady can't sack up and watch a game of the sport he plays simply because he isn't in it. Seems immature to me.

If he always opts out how could he have attended in 2004?

Something's not riight heeere.....

If the NFL is serious about keeping the Pro Bowl alive they need to enforce attendance somehow. Realistically they would also need to adjust scheduling as well to allow Superbowl players to attend too, so we truly get the "best of the best". 

The real issue of course will always be it's just not competitive, and there isn't an incentive I can think of that would make the players put themselves on the line and go 100%. 

As for Brady (and other Patriots if I'm not mistaken?), it seems like a organisational edict from the Pats which I don't agree with but it's their choice to make. 

I don't think that's true.

In my experience, musicians actually go out of their way to watch the other bands that they're on tour with, despite the fact that they're playing the same selection of songs night after night.

In 1998 Patriot RB Robert Edwards was injured at the Pro Bowl playing in the rookie flag football game. I think his knee was shattered and it pretty much kept him out of football until the 2002 season. It cut short a very promising career. Crap like that could dissuade anyone from wanting to play in Hawaii. IMO that week is an accident waiting to happen. Someday a big name player will get seriously injured and all coaches and players will think twice about appearing there. The game is meaningless, lacks defense, and really is played to make Hawaii feel they have a stake in the NFL.  Brady, and the countless others who have bowed out of the game over the years should not be chastised for a wise decision. When you play in Super Bowls, NFC or AFC championship games, and divisional playoff games, year after year, playing in a Pro Bowl game is meaningless.

I don't think that's true.

In my experience, musicians actually go out of their way to watch the other bands that they're on tour with, despite the fact that they're playing the same selection of songs night after night.

And if a Musician is on his Final tour,   You can bet the audience is often filled with numerous musicians, from all Genre's to watch the final performance,  as well as showing up for award shows, even if they're not nominated,  just to support their industry and the fellow nominees.    It's known as Camaraderie.

In 1998 Patriot RB Robert Edwards was injured at the Pro Bowl playing in the rookie flag football game. I think his knee was shattered and it pretty much kept him out of football until the 2002 season. It cut short a very promising career. Crap like that could dissuade anyone from wanting to play in Hawaii. IMO that week is an accident waiting to happen. Someday a big name player will get seriously injured and all coaches and players will think twice about appearing there. The game is meaningless, lacks defense, and really is played to make Hawaii feel they have a stake in the NFL. Brady, and the countless others who have bowed out of the game over the years should not be chastised for a wise decision. When you play in Super Bowls, NFC or AFC championship games, and divisional playoff games, year after year, playing in a Pro Bowl game is meaningless.

It was played in the sand. Pretty dumb to begin with

It's not very competitive and a waste of time, really.  I mean, I'd take it for the trip to Hawaii, but it's not like Brady and Giselle don't make enough that they can go to Hawaii and do whatever they want and the interest that accumulated in their bank accounts during that time would have paid for hte trip.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 24, 2014 - response to removed post
Hidden by Nadine, January 24, 2014 - response to removed post

It's because he believes himself above it, quite clearly.

Of course the Bradyites will come to his rescue as usual, but it is obvious for all of us to see who have an objective view.

and you are the pinnacle of objectivity

Of course the * will come to his rescue as usual, but it is obvious for all of us to see who have an objective view.

Whats your logic behind "he believes himself above it"? Make your case

My guess is that hes just mentally and physically exhausted.  He's not even a week removed from another devastating loss in the AFC Championship game...  He doesn't need the money and he doesn't need the vacation, he can go wherever he wants in the world.  

By him not going, it also gives a shot to another QB as an alternate who may appreciate the opportunity more.

I think its pretty obvious that the Pro Bowl is a joke, hence their viewership ratings going down and the NFL nearly eliminating the game all together because of how uncompetitive and uninteresting the games are.  

Hes not middle fingering anyone, he's done this for awhile now. He's been nursing injuries all year and he just lost the AFCCG, he doesn't want to go to Hawaii and play catch with everyone in a meaningless game 1 week after a crushing defeat. 

At the end of the day its just another chance to get injured in a game that is utterly meaningless and uninteresting.  I don't even watch the Pro Bowl, its a total joke and everyone knows it.  Not surprising though that yet another attempt at assassinating Brady's character is being made after the fact... Ive never seen people pile it on so much after a loss... The Jets are our most heated/hated rival and they have 1 or Brady threads oin their NFL general section about him after the loss..

Its pretty disturbing how obsessed some of you are with him... obsessed with trying to paint him into a monster and twist everything to fit your own bias perception.  Every single thing he does there are posters here that try to use it and twist it in a way that makes him out to be some horrible human being that hates puppies and children and sustains himself off of the tears of babies.  

I've been keeping a list of posters though...  What goes around comes back around.

Karma.

- Tom Brady.

lol what?  The decency to watch the Super Bowl?  Do you even listen to yourself?

In the NHL, if you miss the All Star game, you get a one game suspension. Now there's 82 games, but still.

I think the NFL should give the players a fine if the players don't show up. The only players excluded should be players in the Super Bowl and players in the Championship games and injured players of course. 

They have to make the Pro Bowl actually mean something to do that.  In other sports, the All Star game earns your conference the right to have home field advantage in the Championship Series.  That is something to play for and is import... in football its a total joke, the players don't even really play, its all done half butt and they use it as a free vacation.  Its very obvious to anyone that has watched them and by how the league has desperately tried to make it something viewers can stomach.  

You people are so hilarious this morning.  We're talking about the Pro Bowl here... you know, that game the NFL nearly canceled because nobody was watching it or gave a care in the world about it?  The game where viewership, attendance and overall customer satisfaction in the product on the field were at abysmal lows.  I never watch the Pro Bowl anymore unless i happen to be doing stuff around the house, and then i just have it on in the background while i do chores or whatever.  I could care less if my aging hall of fame QB doesn't want to risk an injury in that meaningless game.

Unreal.

Of course the * will come to his rescue as usual, but it is obvious for all of us to see who have an objective view.

I love how you make these bold statements like you know for a fact what Brady is thinking and his reasons for doing things. 

You have absolutely no clue why he does or doesn't attend those games, but to suggest its because he thinks hes above it is just more of this consistent rubbing of salt in an open wound after a loss behavior that seems to be a lot of posters on this boards MO.

Also ending your ridiculous post with a statement about how you have an "objective" viewpoint is hilarious... Just take a look at this NFL general section and its pretty OBVIOUS that objectivity is seriously lacking here.

You obviously have no clue what being objective even means.  You spew hate for Brady and the Patriots all year long, you are anything but objective.

The fact that he has been voted in multiple times by his fans and he doesn't go.

That isn't proof of anything other than that he hasn't attended.  Yet you and some other posters take it as absolute scientific proof that its because he thinks himself above everyone else...

Its beyond hilarious at this point.. the hate/jealousy/whatever inside of some of you is quite disturbing and I really hope that you guys figure it out because its not a healthy way to live.

I love how you make these bold statements like you know for a fact what Brady is thinking and his reasons for doing things.

You have absolutely no clue why he does or doesn't attend those games, but to suggest its because he thinks hes above it is just more of this consistent rubbing of salt in an open wound after a loss behavior that seems to be a lot of posters on this boards MO.

Also ending your ridiculous post with a statement about how you have an "objective" viewpoint is hilarious... Just take a look at this NFL general section and its pretty OBVIOUS that objectivity is seriously lacking here.

You obviously have no clue what being objective even means. You spew hate for Brady and the Patriots all year long, you are anything but objective.

Do you have a man crush on him or something?? My gosh this is a colts forum you act like were all supposed to love Tom as much as the patriots fans. Sorry pal not gonna happen

That isn't proof of anything other than that he hasn't attended. Yet you and some other posters take it as absolute scientific proof that its because he thinks himself above everyone else...

Its beyond hilarious at this point.. the hate/jealousy/whatever inside of some of you is quite disturbing and I really hope that you guys figure it out because its not a healthy way to live.

what is your theory?