Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mark Sanchez, a starter? A good possibility.

Fx Stryker

why wouldn't geno beat him out? He's already better and he is learning on the fly like any young qb

Sanchez had him beat by a country mile in TC last year. And after watching Smith last year there is no way he beats out Sanchez and even if it is close Rex will go with his tattoo boy.

Sanchez had him beat by a country mile in TC last year. And after watching Smith last year there is no way he beats out Sanchez and even if it is close Rex will go with his tattoo boy.

Didn't Sanchez get benched then injured as the third string quarterback? If Sanchez won he wouldn't have been benched, or have been the third stringer.

Didn't Sanchez get benched then injured as the third string quarterback? If Sanchez won he wouldn't have been benched, or have been the third stringer.

No he was never benched. He was inserted into a meaningless preseason game vs the Giants where Smith had turned over the ball three times. Rex put Sanchez in to "try to win the game" and in true pathetic Jets fashion Sanchez hurt his shoulder and needed surgery to repair it.

Man o man lady... you better stick to your Tom Brady worship. There is no way Sanchez opens the season on the same team as Gino Smith. Last year is cap # was 12.8 mill and he would have counted over 17 mill against the cap if they cut him. This year he would count 13.1 and only 4.8 in dead money. So they will save 8.3 in cap space by cutting him. I would say he's a virtual lock to be released. Just for giggles , if they kept him at 13.1 for 2014 they will have 15.6 tied up in him in 2015.

Man o man lady... you better stick to your Tom Brady worship. There is no way Sanchez opens the season on the same team as Gino Smith. Last year is cap # was 12.8 mill and he would have counted over 17 mill against the cap if they cut him. This year he would count 13.1 and only 4.8 in dead money. So they will save 8.3 in cap space by cutting him. I would say he's a virtual lock to be released. Just for giggles , if they kept him at 13.1 for 2014 they will have 15.6 tied up in him in 2015.

You do know we are talking about the Jets and common football sense does not apply? Rex has a tattoo of his wife wearing Sanchez's jersey for Pete's sakes. ;)

No he was never benched. He was inserted into a meaningless preseason game vs the Giants where Smith had turned over the ball three times. Rex put Sanchez in to "try to win the game" and in true pathetic Jets fashion Sanchez hurt his shoulder and needed surgery to repair it.

That was the third preseason game. Which is the game where starters play almost the whole game.

He was the third string QB. I don't think the shoulder injury is why he lost his job.

Sanchez is not a good QB. The media made him into something he could not rise to. He has self esteem issues and things get in his head easily. He cracks under pressure and then can't recover from his mistakes. Having said that though, the Jets are such a fractured organization, it would not surprise me to see him back as the starter at the beginning of the year.

The only way he isn't a starter is if he stays on the Jets roster. One head coach would make Mark Sanchez is starter next season.

My question is, who and why?

Maybe it's the Jaguars. I hope so...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000316464/article/mark-sanchez-would-start-if-jets-cut-him-coach-says

Mark Sanchez will not start anywhere in any games in 2014

If keeping Sanchez means they are on the hook for 2015...no way they don't cut him...they have needs in the secondary and obviously on the OL and WR. Thats a lot of dough to lock up. I'm sure they would love a veteren qb behind Smith because he has been so up and down but I don't think they can afford that type of money. Normally Sanchez would be a perfect back up as he knows the offense and could be a game manager...something you would want in a backup but not at that price.

I have a hard time seeing Sanchez starting somewhere else next year but no doubt he gets a back up gig. I think people know his ceiling and that isn't enough to start him over a young guy that has more potential.

Well, let's be fair, Sanchez had him beat in TC last year because that was Smith's first go at being an NFL QB.  They'll go with Geno because there is still room for progression (which, typically, any players largest progression is typically from his rookie to sophmore season).  Jets already know where Sanchez stands.  Geno may lose the job, but right now, it's Geno's job to lose.

Well, let's be fair, Sanchez had him beat in TC last year because that was Smith's first go at being an NFL QB.  They'll go with Geno because there is still room for progression (which, typically, any players largest progression is typically from his rookie to sophmore season).  Jets already know where Sanchez stands.  Geno may lose the job, but right now, it's Geno's job to lose.

I think Sanchez is one of those players that practices really well. It will be tough for Smith to look better than him in TC and Rex will be pulling for Sanchez IMO as he has always been his guy from the get go.

I think Sanchez is one of those players that practices really well. It will be tough for Smith to look better than him in TC and Rex will be pulling for Sanchez IMO as he has always been his guy from the get go.

Well that much may be true, but I think he'd be doing his team a disservice.  They're both not very good, but I guess my point is, at least with Smith, you have a bit of hope that in the next two years he will end up better than Sanchez currently is.

Well that much may be true, but I think he'd be doing his team a disservice.  They're both not very good, but I guess my point is, at least with Smith, you have a bit of hope that in the next two years he will end up better than Sanchez currently is.

Yes, I think so too but Smith had a really tough stretch mid-season but growing pains. I like his athleticism. Hopefully the OC can help him out. I do think that hurt Sanchez's development. Rex was too focused on the D to help him progress as a QB.

Wasn't it reported during TC that Sanchez had probably one of the worst practices to ever be watched?

Wasn't it reported during TC that Sanchez had probably one of the worst practices to ever be watched?

I don't remember that. Not saying it didn't happen. But I remember folks saying that when Tebow was there as he was a terrible practice player. Sanchez has always been pretty solid. Just not so good in real games. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing defines the massive suckiness of being a Jets fan more clearly than the fact that your QB choices are Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith.  Even Browns fans feel like they are blessed.

Sanchez < Weeden...........Ill at least take the guy with the better haircut