Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just read this response to an article about Peyton

T Y Goodbye

There was a really nice tribute article on yahoo, which was about Peyton, his coming back to football, and how hard he worked at making it back. Even in the beginning of the rehab process, he asked his dad to help him by playing catch. It was one of the better yahoo articles I have read in quite a while.

Often times, I read people's comments, especially if its an interesting article. One commenter made this point, that really made me think.

He wrote:

If Peyton Manning and the Broncos win the Super Bowl this year, and he comes back for one more year, and the Broncos win it again, (making it 2 out of 3 years he won the Super Bowl in Denver)..then retires...Will he choose to go into the Hall of Fame as a Colt, or a Bronco, seeing that he would have won 2 with Denver, and only 1 in Indy.

I honestly think he would go in as a Colt,,,but it did give me something to think about, unlike most of the trolling that goes on most of the time in Yahoo.

And if he could choose I wouldn't blame him.

Mostly everyone wanted him gone to draft Luck. You can't have it both ways people. You want him to be a Colt should have backed him.

Right because I'm sure a bunch of people's opinions on a message board was going to sway Irsay's decision.

It doesn't really matter. You don't go into the HOF with a specific team. When Peyton's retires we'll have #18 retired, he'll have a spot in the ROH, and maybe even a statue. That's all that matter to me. 

One-day contracts are nice, but they don't really mean anything.

Right because I'm sure a bunch of people's opinions on a message board was going to sway Irsay's decision.

Not saying it would have, but now that there is a chance he could be remembered as someone's QB more people suddenly care. They didn't care before so why care now.

Not saying it would have, but now that there is a chance he could be remembered as someone's QB more people suddenly care. They didn't care before so why care now.

Really? You really didn't think anybody cared? Really???

There's a difference between not caring and understanding what had to be done.

Really? You really didn't think anybody cared? Really???

There's a difference between not caring and understanding what had to be done.

Tell me why it HAD to be done.

Because as we see Peyton is playing better than ever. So injury can't be the reason.

Was it cap issues? Well cutting Freeney would have cleared the same cap space as Manning. So cap space couldn't have been the issue.

Maybe it was lack of talent. Gee I wonder if there could have been a way to get an entire draft class for one pick. Oh wait there was.....

But hey you can't miss on those guaranteed 1st rounders. It was sure nice to see all those number one picks square off yesterday. Oh there was only one? Yea....

Because as we see Peyton is playing better than ever. So injury can't be the reason.

hindsight1.jpg

Hindsight is a great thing 'aint it?

If you honetly don't know why it had to be done than I'm not going to try to convince you that it was. Im sure you have heard all of the reasons and either just ignore them or use hindsight.

Was it cap issues? Well cutting Freeney would have cleared the same cap space as Manning. So cap space couldn't have been the issue.

Maybe it was lack of talent. Gee I wonder if there could have been a way to get an entire draft class for one pick. Oh wait there was.....

But hey you can't miss on those guaranteed 1st rounders. It was sure nice to see all those number one picks square off yesterday. Oh there was only one? Yea....

You act like it was just Freeney who had a bloated contract.  We were in cap hell while he was here and even the first year when he went to Denver we were still cash strapped.  So please don't make it seem like it was no big deal.  We wouldn't have been able to field a team around the guy.  

Be happy for Manning and realize that his time here is done and nothing can be done about it.  He will become a Colt(again) when he hangs them up.  

And if he could choose I wouldn't blame him.Mostly everyone wanted him gone to draft Luck. You can't have it both ways people. You want him to be a Colt should have backed him.

first of all I recall world war 3 over him leaving around here. Second I don't think anyone wanted him gone. I think many understood the situation and while they didn't like losing Manning they understood the logic behind it. I don't think anyone was jumping for joy the day he was released, in fact I think many felt sad about it.

And if he could choose I wouldn't blame him.

Mostly everyone wanted him gone to draft Luck. You can't have it both ways people. You want him to be a Colt should have backed him.

Even more of you people are coming out of the cracks here. 

I suppose Ignorance truly is Bliss

Even more of you people are coming out of the cracks here. 

I suppose Ignorance truly is Bliss

"Coming out of the cracks?" You've been here for ten minutes. FX's position has been consistent, as has mine.

Regarding the OP - I was just having this argument in a different thread. What are people going to do, root against Peyton because of some imagined negative connotations to the Colts? Cruel and classless.

I would be willing to bet that Irsay will be amongst the first calling to congratulate Peyton if he wins a SB - once or 20 times. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. The Colts did what they HAD to do, and Peyton has made the best of it. Peyton failing miserably does nothing good for the Colts, and Peyton winning only reinforces the argument that most of us have been making for a decade - that he's the greatest QB of all time. You can't have it both ways.

"Coming out of the cracks?" You've been here for ten minutes. FX's position has been consistent, as has mine.

I never got the George W line of "you're either with me or not with me" thinking, or the black/white labeling like you called it on Colts fans who like Peyton to succeed if its not at the cost of the Colts.

If rooting for a non-Colts team that goes against Peyton is done purely with a desire for Peyton to fail, I only see petty personal agendas and points driving those.

It feels like any political election, it is hard for moderates to win. You have to swing one way or the other for people to be happy with you and your opinions, it seems like. This forum is no different with the Peyton-Luck thing.

I have said this before.

It worked out well for everyone. Only thing as Moose said earlier, the way Irsay handled it was bad.

I dont think Peyton would have survived this much with this OL of Colts.

To an extent, I wished Irsay did not give his post game speech after the Broncos win and would have treated it just like any other regular season win. "Look at this ring, I wan't more" speech in the locker room after that win made it seem like the decision still bothers him and I also felt a lot of his "trade winds are blowing", "a big trade is coming" etc. twitter messages are a reflection of his deep desire for the Colts to win a SB while Peyton is still in the league, deep down.

Irsay does not need to justify anything to anyone anymore. 2 winning seasons have already set things in motion and fair or not, I think it puts undue pressure on Grigson, IMO to make trades or free agency moves he may not have otherwise made. Good teams like Giants, Steelers, Ravens, Packers stay relevant for long via the draft and I do believe Grigson should get us back to building depth via the draft which will give us sustained success, which I am confident he will.

As for the article...beautiful and another chapter in the Manning book.

As for the choice to let Peyton go...yes this was discussed to death 2 years ago. I wanted to keep him..but in the end once the decision was made I just have to support the Colts and choose to root for Peyton separately. At the time I wanted to keep Peyton and trade away for a slew of picks to Cleveland...they had two first rd picks and we could have easily got their two first rders and a future first rd pick. I was hoping to get OL help and pass rusher to replace Freeney and get a qb in the 2nd rd to mold. I thought we could have kept Tamme and picked up another TE. There were lots of options..but in the end I don't think we could have surronded Peyton with enough talent to win.....or we could have drafted Luck....cut Freeney and let Peyton get healthy....then once he had proven his health trade him for 1st rd pick...it was very hard to watch someone like Peyton Manning let go...and most of the bad sentiment was for the tweeting crap that Irsay carried on leading up to the SB...Peyton was nothing but classy...and I think when Irsay kept saying we were keeping Peyton no matter what...then reversed his view...it was upsetting. Peyton was special...and still is...we still don't know if Luck will reach that level...but I feel a lot better about it than i used too...and I'm sure in another 5 yrs when Peyton is gone and Luck is still playing...I definately will feel better.

But there is no consensus...and no one is wrong for their feelings or opinions...everyone's entitled and if they are respectful no reason for anyone to call names or act mean.

As for the article...beautiful and another chapter in the Manning book.

But there is no consensus...and no one is wrong for their feelings or opinions...everyone's entitled and if they are respectful no reason for anyone to call names or act mean.

The bolded above is exactly why I first posted this topic...this was a great article on him and his family, and his determination to make it back into the NFL as still an elite QB. It was an inspirational article nothing more...It wouldn't have mattered what team it was, it was a great article about a great player, which is why I put this in the General section of the Forum.

I saw the one gentleman's comment about if he would win 2 Super Bowls as a Bronco, whether he would go in as a Colt, or a Bronco, and, (which has been pointed out to me that I didn't realize that it doesn't work that way in the NFL) if he would win 2 Super Bowls with the Broncos, would he go in as a Colt or a Bronco. A lot of people sign one day contracts to retire from "their team of choice", which is what I believe the commenter was referring to. I just thought it an interesting question. Of course he's going to the Hall of Fame, be in our Ring of Honor, and perhaps even a statue, for what he did for Indianapolis, the communities, even to an extent that Indiana is now not only referred to as a basketball state.

I'm now sorry I even made the post, because it turned out to be another useless debate/argument on letting him go or keeping him which was NOT the intention of the topic. It had nothing to do with why he was let go, or if it was right and wrong. It doesn't matter if he wins 0 more or 25 more..it was just a though from a random person, that I though was interesting. Again. since its been pointed out its not like MLB where you go into the Hall as a member of one team or another, that point is now moot.

I'm sorry I even made this post..it went so far out of the realm of the intention of the thread, and so quickly, people were at each others throats. It was not my intention.

The bolded above is exactly why I first posted this topic...this was a great article on him and his family, and his determination to make it back into the NFL as still an elite QB. It was an inspirational article nothing more...It wouldn't have mattered what team it was, it was a great article about a great player, which is why I put this in the General section of the Forum.

I saw the one gentleman's comment about if he would win 2 Super Bowls as a Bronco, whether he would go in as a Colt, or a Bronco, and, (which has been pointed out to me that I didn't realize that it doesn't work that way in the NFL) if he would win 2 Super Bowls with the Broncos, would he go in as a Colt or a Bronco. A lot of people sign one day contracts to retire from "their team of choice", which is what I believe the commenter was referring to. I just thought it an interesting question. Of course he's going to the Hall of Fame, be in our Ring of Honor, and perhaps even a statue, for what he did for Indianapolis, the communities, even to an extent that Indiana is now not only referred to as a basketball state.

I'm now sorry I even made the post, because it turned out to be another useless debate/argument on letting him go or keeping him which was NOT the intention of the topic. It had nothing to do with why he was let go, or if it was right and wrong. It doesn't matter if he wins 0 more or 25 more..it was just a though from a random person, that I though was interesting. Again. since its been pointed out its not like MLB where you go into the Hall as a member of one team or another, that point is now moot.

I'm sorry I even made this post..it went so far out of the realm of the intention of the thread, and so quickly, people were at each others throats. It was not my intention.

I appreciated your post and I think most understood what you were discussing (even if most knew it didn't work that way)....unfortunately we have a lot of people that get very jealous and bitter of others success and want to take it out on people and some that want to rub it in too...both sides and it usually gets drug out and fueded in these threads...you can't stop it...its an open forum...but this one is better than almost all I've been on...very well moderated and keeps the name calling and hateful speech to a minimum. Thanks again for pointing out the article.

When cutting a first ballot HOFer for an unknown commodity (in the NFL) Yeah, it got very heated. Most of us have embraced the move now. But yeah, it was pretty bad after Manning was cut

But we're Colts fans. How could anyone have wanted to Keep manning for 2-3 years, make Luck sit, and severely handicap our cap (haha) for years?

Are we seriously battling this again? It's freaking done people. If you believe Peyton would be playing this well here you're just wrong, and Luck has worked out pretty darn well.

Yeah idk how some people come on here now thinking that just because Peyton is in the SB with Denver that somehow we made the wrong decision. 

TY  no reason to apologize.  You did nothing wrong.  It was a great article and I fully understand and appreciate you posting your comments.

I knew exactly what you meant, and have also wondered the same.   I am not even sure at this point if Peyton knows what he will do.   I think Indianapolis will always  hold a special place in his heart, just as he has a special place in the hearts of many in the city of Indy.

Will he sign that one day contract, and retire a Colt..?  :dunno:    I think it's certainly possible,   I also think he has found a wonderful home (not referring to his house)   ~  in Denver.    The City of Denver, and the Broncos organization  embraced him, made him feel welcome, helped him heal, gave him a chance, and once again helped to make him the true Winner he is.    

Yes. everyone was at each other throat for an entire offseason.

It was basically a civil war. Team Luck v Team Manning

Yes Dustin, it was almost a blood sport about 18 loyalty vs ownership new direction. I just detested how several fans dismissed what Peyton Manning built here: the winning, the football horseshoe mystique, & the hospitals he built here in INDY.

Never forget where you came from & what INDY was before Manning became a Colt. Short term amnesia is a very dangerous thing. The Luck era will be prosperous too, but you must respect your elders & thank them dearly for their contributions here. 

My comments are not directed at any of my Manning friends at all, just those who doubt 18's influence & greatness on & off the field. 

TY no way did I intend to take it that way. Unfortunately it did, and I apologize. I could have answered with a more civilized answer. And I'm sure Dustin knows I meant no personal attack whatsoever, but if not I apologize to you also.

Like everyone knows I think differently about it than everyone else, but I can do better to keep a composure.

Sorry my forum friends.

Yes. everyone was at each other throat for an entire offseason.

It was basically a civil war. Team Luck v Team Manning

Froggy, or Peacefrog whatever his name. I hated that individual with a passion. Glad I got him to slip up and explode at everyone. :lol: