Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What It's Like to Have Spinal Fusion

Fx Stryker

Coy Wire, a former linebacker for Bills and Falcons, played nine seasons in the NFL. During his sixth season hr lost all feeling in his right arm after a tackle.

Coy later learned he needed spinal fusion surgery, the same as Peyton. He continued to play another three season after the surgery, but never the same.

I love reading about those who has spinal fusion surgery. This piece by Coy is one of the best there is. I really recommend this piece to anyone.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/wire-what-it-s-like-to-cope-with-peyton-manning-s-neck-injury-011614

I can relate to a lot of that. Key differences:

I wasn't offered physical therapy.

I don't get regular checkups.

I don't have to worry about tackling anything larger than a Beagle.

I can't see my scar (doctor better at "closing"? He was a complete :cuss: but came highly recommended).

I don't get pain and weakness the way that he describes - he is likely suffering from damage to adjacent levels - something that I live in daily fear of.

But if I stay up too long, sleep in the wrong position, lift too much weight in one arm in an extended position away from my body, or just in general push myself too much, I feel weird discomfort and weakness in a variety of places that leads me to restrict activity and sleep on my back (which means taking forever to fall asleep and dealing with cats bouncing on my chest/abdomen like it's a trampoline - amongst other counterproductive un-pleasantries)

In short, life isn't the same, and I fear for myself and I fear for Peyton - but I have general degeneration with no support to help contain it. Peyton had a specific injury and all the professional advice, equipment and tools in the world to build the right muscles the right way to protect himself. I only hope that he's actually following his doctors advice rather than pushing the envelope unnecessarily. He also doesn't have to do what a linebackers does.

But I still cringe when he gets hit, and I'm still angry at his freaking "friend" Mathis for pinning his arms and pile driving his unprotected body into the ground. What a guy. The following week I saw Miller do a virtually identical strip sack that somehow avoided the crushing part and allowed the QB the use of his arms to protect himself. Similarly last week Phillips sacked his former teammate Rivers by pulling him down sideways/backwards with Phillips absorbing the brunt of a the impact. And Rivers doesn't have a life altering injury. We see "respectful" sacks without any intent to injure every week from those who understand that it's kind off important to the game of football that the QBs stay in - former teammate or not. I frankly haven't looked at Mathis (long one of my favorites) the same way since.

I smiled when I read this line: 

"Someday, a young kid will undoubtedly ask what it was like to watch the great Peyton Manning. Like my dad, I’ll probably struggle before beginning with his word: I’ll say Manning was inspiring."

A great article FX! A very enjoyable read too. I think about that a lot the sustaining injuries after football is over & the risks NFL athletes take surgery wise just to stay on the field. 

Bayone on the forum said it best "It's a miracle Peyton Manning is even playing let alone at such a high level." Now SW1 wants the Broncos to win even more.  :thmup: 

We can all tell our kids we saw one of (if not) the greatest players (Peyton Manning) to every play the game. 

I can also say I was lucky enough to see Michael Jordan play as well.

Anybody that says Lebron or Kobe is anywhere near Jordan's level is insane and deserves punched in the mouth. 

I have had 2 cervical neck surgeries with the last one haveing 4 cevicle disk totally replaced. Two metal rods have been inserted into my neck to give the support to the neck. I have nerve damage that will not go away without more surgery. After 2 1/2 years of rehab I will not have another surgery inless being paralized is possible as was before the first surgery. It is hard for anyone to imagine the pain and the hard work it takes just to try to lead a some what normal life. Just getting off the pain medications is a job in itself. Learning to live with the pain is not an easy thing to do. I wouldn't wish the kind of pain after the second surgery on my worst enemy. While my surgeries were much worse than Mannings I can still apreciate the effort and desire to overcome his medecal problems and play at a very high level. I think way too much attention is given to Mannings playoff records as the NFL is a team game an all aspects. People seem to forget that fan is just short for fanatic. Most fanatics overlook reality when it comes to alot of things. I am old enough to remember the legends play and Manning is as good as anyone that comes to mind. Some say Brady, some say Montana, some say alot of different QBs and it's all opinion. Is anyones opinion any better than anyone elses? No. Because one person thinks they are right without an open mind just makes them narrow minded.

We can all tell our kids we saw one of (if not) the greatest players (Peyton Manning) to every play the game. 

I can also say I was lucky enough to see Michael Jordan play as well.

Anybody that says Lebron or Kobe is anywhere near Jordan's level is insane and deserves punched in the mouth. 

I wish I had time to list in every sport Lolly....maybe a Misc Discussion thread???

There was some talk today on sports radio that Manning may indeed call it quits after this season hence the Mort report after the SD win. I would think your body can only go so long with that type of procedure. Although I would never bet against Manning returning.

I think Manning already said Super Bowl or not he wants to play next year. I don't understand why it has become this big conspiracy.

I can relate to a lot of that. Key differences:

I wasn't offered physical therapy.

I don't get regular checkups.

I don't have to worry about tackling anything larger than a Beagle.

I can't see my scar (doctor better at "closing"? He was a complete :cuss: but came highly recommended).

I don't get pain and weakness the way that he describes - he is likely suffering from damage to adjacent levels - something that I live in daily fear of.

But if I stay up too long, sleep in the wrong position, lift too much weight in one arm in an extended position away from my body, or just in general push myself too much, I feel weird discomfort and weakness in a variety of places that leads me to restrict activity and sleep on my back (which means taking forever to fall asleep and dealing with cats bouncing on my chest/abdomen like it's a trampoline - amongst other counterproductive un-pleasantries)

In short, life isn't the same, and I fear for myself and I fear for Peyton - but I have general degeneration with no support to help contain it. Peyton had a specific injury and all the professional advice, equipment and tools in the world to build the right muscles the right way to protect himself. I only hope that he's actually following his doctors advice rather than pushing the envelope unnecessarily. He also doesn't have to do what a linebackers does.

But I still cringe when he gets hit, and I'm still angry at his freaking "friend" Mathis for pinning his arms and pile driving his unprotected body into the ground. What a guy. The following week I saw Miller do a virtually identical strip sack that somehow avoided the crushing part and allowed the QB the use of his arms to protect himself. Similarly last week Phillips sacked his former teammate Rivers by pulling him down sideways/backwards with Phillips absorbing the brunt of a the impact. And Rivers doesn't have a life altering injury. We see "respectful" sacks without any intent to injure every week from those who understand that it's kind off important to the game of football that the QBs stay in - former teammate or not. I frankly haven't looked at Mathis (long one of my favorites) the same way since.

Sorry to take this out of the sports world, but when referring to 'spinal fusion' basically have a rod put on your spine?

Or can they be different things?

Reason I ask is that my young daughter will be having a rod installed soon (scoliosis with an 80 degree curve).

Sorry, just curious.

Sorry to take this out of the sports world, but when referring to 'spinal fusion' basically have a rod put on your spine?

Reason I ask is that my young daughter will be having a rod installed soon (scoliosis with an 80 degree curve).

Sorry, just curious.

Completely different surgery. Sorry to hear that - poor kid. I welcome curiosity but I doubt that my experience will be useful. I wonder if nsurg is still posting here - he might have a professional view to offer you.

My surgery (and Peyton's, and the LBs in the article) specifically involved the removal of a disc from the neck, the replacement of said disk with bone, and the placement of a metal plate to fuse the bone above and below the damaged disc together. As it heals the inserted bone is grown over. You lose range of motion - for example I have to tilt my upper body back to drain a can of soda because my neck doesn't bend normally. No rods are involved, and aside from superficial things that I've read I don't know anything about scoliosis - which I assume affects lower areas of the spine with the rods used to straighten the curvature. Perhaps - rather than permanently altering the discs - the rod would allow the discs the opportunity to function normally as your daughter grows. Actually I just did a quick search and clearly this surgery can involve permanent fusion as well - how similar in net effect I have no idea. I wish that I knew more about it. How is your doctor describing it to you?

Good luck to her.

Completely different surgery. Sorry to hear that - poor kid. I welcome curiosity but I doubt that my experience will be useful. I wonder if nsurg is still posting here - he might have a professional view to offer you.

My surgery (and Peyton's, and the LBs in the article) specifically involved the removal of a disc from the neck, the replacement of said disk with bone, and the placement of a metal plate to fuse the bone above and below the damaged disc together. As it heals the inserted bone is grown over. You lose range of motion - for example I have to tilt my upper body back to drain a can of soda because my neck doesn't bend normally. No rods are involved, and aside from superficial things that I've read I don't know anything about scoliosis - which I assume affects lower areas of the spine with the rods used to straighten the curvature. Perhaps - rather than permanently altering the discs - the rod would allow the discs the opportunity to function normally as your daughter grows. Actually I just did a quick search and clearly this surgery can involve permanent fusion as well - how similar in net effect I have no idea. I wish that I knew more about it. How is your doctor describing it to you?

Good luck to her.

Thanks MAC. Was just wondering since I hear of many different phrases used for spinal surgeries, I wondered if some of them  were synonymis. She has two curves in her spine, and a twist that basically forms a hump on her back. They only intend to screw a couple of rods to her spine to straighten it out. No disc removal. She's 16, and we've recently learned she's stopped growing, so that's why now may be the time to get this taken care of, before it starts causing her pain, and breathing difficulties. She has plenty of other medial/neurological issues going on, but the concerning one is anxiety. She's extremely curious about the whole surgery. I'm sure it'll go fine, but worry about the anxiety part if post surgery issues.

Again, thanks.

just woke up from rest, saw this 

can relate

5 cervical vertebrae operated on 1988, dropped by pregnant resident post op, caused an infection , In hospital from mid nov to just prior to New years 1989, were running out of veins for IV as had new antibiotic every 1.5 hrs or so show I had to teach a nurse a new technique or would of it done myself as they wanted to insert a tub which is an open lower thoracic procedure when u have no more veins as an alternative , however it can also nick a lung in the process and only needed IVs for 2 more days so no way was I allowing it, much scarring and arthritis as  result now , also , stenosis aat 2 levels returned in 2011 if not earlier, will not get another procedure till cant walk , dont care if i limp, use cane, back brace as needed meanwhile and Neurologist & rehab drs still go to concur

other spinal issues lower down

yeah i can relate 

I think Manning already said Super Bowl or not he wants to play next year. I don't understand why it has become this big conspiracy.

Some of it stems from him saying he sees the light at the end of the tunnel and Mort's report about his physical in March. I do think he comes back unless the exam shows the increased risk for injury.

Some of it stems from him saying he sees the light at the end of the tunnel and Mort's report about his physical in March. I do think he comes back unless the exam shows the increased risk for injury.

I think the statement was more in relation to more years ahead than behind.

And again Mort's report isn't anything new. It's been known since March 2012. There will also be one in March 2015 and 2016.

Thanks MAC. Was just wondering since I hear of many different phrases used for spinal surgeries, I wondered if some of them  were synonymis. She has two curves in her spine, and a twist that basically forms a hump on her back. They only intend to screw a couple of rods to her spine to straighten it out. No disc removal. She's 16, and we've recently learned she's stopped growing, so that's why now may be the time to get this taken care of, before it starts causing her pain, and breathing difficulties. She has plenty of other medial/neurological issues going on, but the concerning one is anxiety. She's extremely curious about the whole surgery. I'm sure it'll go fine, but worry about the anxiety part if post surgery issues.

Again, thanks.

That's rough. The overbearing pain and weakness (both of which I vividly remember) comes from things pressing on nerves. I can certainly understand the doctors wanting to do anything possible to get ahead of any disc deterioration - which I imagine would be a problem with her spine not lined up as intended. Even the muscle strain from dealing with it can't be fun.

I have enough of a tendency towards anxiety when I feel bad things happening to me - I can only imagine what she's going through, and how challenging and frustrating it must be for you to try and help her. . Strength to you all.

Again, thanks.

Sorry, just curious.

My friend i as a resident way back early 1980's assisted in some back surgery, dont remember whatt but wanted to give u a time frame, am disabled so haven't practiced since 1988

from what i remember, 50 % was considered enough to do surgery, unless  current standard of care has changed which is possible or terminology has reversed since then

so 80%  seems excessive and needs some intervention, unless  again terminology & or surgical standards requiring surgucal intervention  has changed from my time,  

I had no personal experience with scoliosis patients , take the above as not professional advice, i do agree that was wise to wait til growth ended, at least that's usually the case from what i remember unless are specific reasons to intervene earlier

I wish u the best of luck & imagine u have had multiple opinions to aid u in your choice of whats appropriate 

Barry

I think the statement was more in relation to more years ahead than behind.

And again Mort's report isn't anything new. It's been known since March 2012. There will also be one in March 2015 and 2016.

Yeah the statement was kind of innocuous. It could mean that or it could mean that he is looking at leaving sooner then when his contract is up. I expect him to come back next season but for sure all eyes will be on that exam in March.  

She has two curves in her spine, and a twist that basically forms a hump on her back. 

your description sounds classic for surgery but again way past my knowledge base

pending how much u want toi see u can Google scoliosis videos and view some procedures and even if looks bad to a laymen it has absolutely no bearing on howl well the procedure is going as far as the surgeon is concerned, I have no Idea of the variety of procedures that are used so u may not want top bother as the procedure needed may be quite varied compared to whats on the google site. u may wish to ask surgeon if he can recommend one if u really want to see

again Best of liuck to her

That's rough. The overbearing pain and weakness (both of which I vividly remember) comes from things pressing on nerves. I can certainly understand the doctors wanting to do anything possible to get ahead of any disc deterioration - which I imagine would be a problem with her spine not lined up as intended. Even the muscle strain from dealing with it can't be fun.

I have enough of a tendency towards anxiety when I feel bad things happening to me - I can only imagine what she's going through, and how challenging and frustrating it must be for you to try and help her. . Strength to you all.

Thanks a lot MAC.

Also, to the OP: Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread.

My friend i as a resident way back early 1980's assisted in some back surgery, dont remember whatt but wanted to give u a time frame, am disabled so haven't practiced since 1988

from what i remember, 50 % was considered enough to do surgery, unless  current standard of care has changed which is possible or terminology has reversed since then

so 80%  seems excessive and needs some intervention, unless  again terminology & or surgical standards requiring surgucal intervention  has changed from my time,  

I had no personal experience with scoliosis patients , take the above as not professional advice, i do agree that was wise to wait til growth ended, at least that's usually the case from what i remember unless are specific reasons to intervene earlier

I wish u the best of luck & imagine u have had multiple opinions to aid u in your choice of whats appropriate 

Barry

Thanks Barry. I agree about the comment you made about the terminology. We'd been seeing a chiropractor for years, trying to keep it in check. She'd always hovered around 45, so we always knew surgery may be a reality. We were surprised at the 80 comment, so I'm thinking there's more than one method of measure.

And, thank you for your kind words.

In December 2011 I underwent a 3 level fusion on my lower back. (L-5,S-1, L-3,L-4,L-4,L5)

Years ago I had issues with L-5,S-1 & underwent a Laminectomy around 1988. After a year of PT I was fine for

many years untill late 2011 when I developed severe lower back pain. I was diagnosed with degenerative bone

& needed further surgery.

I have 2 steel plates on either side of my spine & 8 titanium screws holding all this hardware together.

A fusion is done using bone either harvested in my case from the iliac crest (hip) or a cadaver. the bone is placed

in a mesh liner, mixed with your own blood & placed in the area of the deteriorated vertebrae.

Now, my surgery was "supposed" to be minimally invasive however, I have a 6" scar midline on my back that

tells an entirely different story.

To make matters worse I find out months after surgery that my doctor isn't even a surgeon at all. Turns out he's

an anesthesiologist who took some training in spinal surgery, (in a 3rd world country btw) opened up an outpatient surgical

facility & began performing operations.

He advertised himself as a board certified spinal surgeon specializing in minimally invasive spinal surgery. Had testimonials

including videos on his website from satisfied patients of varying ages.

I have since seen a REAL specialist who has verified that the surgery was done correctly, using the proper materials & procedure

however, wasn't entirely necessary.

I have lost a good deal of range of motion & still have a certain level of pain & discomfort. I've also suffered some nerve damage

as a result of the operation that effects the bottom of one of my feet.

I only wanted to share my story to let everyone know that you need to do your homework & be sure you know what you're getting into. Get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. I was extremely fortunate. I can still walk a function. I've met a couple of his patients who

have suffered permanant damage.

I wish only the best results & speedy recovery for anyone who needs spinal surgery of any kind.