Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lions hire Jim Caldwell as HC [Merge]

CantBeStopped

I brought this back from the dead to just say, "dont think things are etched in stone".

Just like Donald Brown will never amount to anything

Just like Mike McGlynn will be cut after last season

Just like Trent will never amount to anything

Just like Verner is a first round bust

Just like Bethea is over the hill and will be let go

Just like we gave up too much for Davis

Its just a reminder that fans...most of the time....dont know jack. Take a page from the old guy group....have a little patience.

Just like manning and dungy could never win the big one

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caldwell gets to run a football program & Fewell doesn't? Are you bleeping kidding me?! Now, that is just a darn travesty man...

Nothing against Caldwell, but come on man that's just ridiculous on some many levels it's not even funny. It's a disgrace actually.   

I've always liked Perry Fewell who was my original pick to be INDY's new HC after Jim Irsay fired Caldwell. BrentMc11 will confirm this fact if you don't believe me. Perry is my guy man & so is Rob Ryan to get HC gigs next. 

Yes you have plenty of Fewell for your argument Brother!  :)  I like Fewell....and not a Ryan fan as you know....that includes "Sexy" Rexy. haha

lmao FireJimCaldwell was spot on

"I would agree with this premise. Dungy helped get him this job, and will likely have to help him get another HC job. "

FireJim......miss his analysis on here....his ears are burning.

MAC was on it too with the initial OC response.  Good job MAC!!!

Hard for me to make a judgement on Caldwell.  We did go to a Super Bowl under his watch, although understandably most will attribute that to Peyton. Most of the hate comes from the 2 and 12 season, but that team had very little talent and of course no Peyton.  I will say very few if any of the draft picks selected during Caldwells time here panned out. But I don't know if I should attribute that to Caldwell or Chris Polian.  

I want to say he was bad, but I don't have enough proof.  I will say the Larry Coyer hire sucked to say the least.

I saw that one coming from a mile a way. Coyer sucked when he was in Denver, and eventually fired by Shanahan.

Hiring Caldwell could possibly work out if you surround him with a really good GM, D coordinator, and O coordinator.

krunk, this is a great post because you are so right on the money. Larry Coyer was a horrible coordinator selection, we still have no idea how much authority Bill Polian gave Jim Caldwell to actually run the Colts in 2009 & beyond, & I like Jim as a person but the vote is still out as to whether or not Mr. Caldwell can really coach well or not. I will give him 3 years before I make that call conclusively though.  

Yes you have plenty of Fewell for your argument Brother!   :)  I like Fewell....and not a Ryan fan as you know....that includes "Sexy" Rexy. haha

I just remember Fewell's aggressiveness & top notch pass rush. I don't know maybe I just miss Deacon Jones, the 85 Bears killer defensive dominance, & I hate how defenses are so hamstring & limited rule wise now. It ticks me off.

Regarding Rob Ryan, I just wanna see how that man would run a football team especially when he singlehandedly turned that Saints D totally around in 1 season. Buddy Ryan, Rex Ryan, & Rob Ryan...I love their stomp on your opposing QB's throat mentality & I always will from 1 NFL dinosaur to another: Let the defense play please. JMO.

krunk, this is a great post because you are so right on the money. Larry Coyer was a horrible coordinator selection, we still have no idea how much authority Bill Polian gave Jim Caldwell to actually run the Colts in 2009 & beyond, & I like Jim as a person but the vote is still out as to whether or not Mr. Caldwell can really coach well or not. I will give him 3 years before I make that call conclusively though.  

I just remember Fewell's aggressiveness & top notch pass rush. I don't know maybe I just miss Deacon Jones, the 85 Bears killer defensive dominance, & I hate how defenses are so hamstring & limited rule wise now. It ticks me off.

Regarding Rob Ryan, I just wanna see how that man would run a football team especially when he singlehandedly turned that Saints D totally around in 1 season. Buddy Ryan, Rex Ryan, & Rob Ryan...I love their stomp on your opposing QB's throat mentality & I always will from 1 NFL dinosaur to another: Let the defense play please. JMO.

Buddy Ryan....Loved Buddy.....and he was just as nutty as his sons....Maybe I SHOULD like them :)

FireJim......miss his analysis on here....his ears are burning.

MAC was on it too with the initial OC response.  Good job MAC!!!

Amen to that Brent FJC was a darn good NFL analyst & I do miss his perspective on here. Funny guy too & one of my 1st friends/must have reads on here on the forum. 

MAC is an insightful cat too & a deep thinker. When he speaks, SW1 listens...

Buddy Ryan....Loved Buddy.....and he was just as nutty as his sons....Maybe I SHOULD like them :)

It's okay buddy. If Rob or Rex ain't your cup of tea, It's alright. I trust your judgment man & SW1 respects your elaborate football knowledge. Hades, I even liked that Buddy Ryan punch of Kevin Gilbride because it shows that Buddy never backs down ever & I admire that.

No, I don't condone violence, but you know Buddy is not easy intimidated & I respect that. 

http://youtu.be/bPK3cDl7Ftw

I must have been on 30 day 'vacation.'  How the heck did I miss that one? HA HA!

:lol:  :funny:  lmao  If I get a time out again on here, that's what I will call it too a "vacation." Clever one that BrentMc11. I knew there was a reason I loved that guy!  :thmup:

Or as the europeans say SW1 went on a "holiday" or "walkabout." LOL! 

They should change their name to the kittens as Caldwell never says squat, he just stares out at the field and wonders why he can't coach. More wins for my Bears.

As long as WR Brandon Marshal & Matt Forte stay healthy, Da Bears will be just fine King Colt.

Regarding Jim & the Lions, even he can't mess things up any worse than their last HC did & remember this organization hired Matt Millen as President too. They are due for some good luck as a franchise now.  

I'm not yeah or nay for Caldwell in my own view, but what things do you feel Caldwell lacks or lacked while here in Indy?

Game management is the primary one (clock management, timeouts, in game adjustments, etc.) This is something that he could have improved on in his time as a coordinator.

My theory has always been that, as a position coach, you're not so much worried about situational football decisions, clock management, game situations, etc. You implement changes as they are dictated to you by the head coach and coordinator. And as the QB coach for Peyton Manning, Jim Caldwell wasn't very often tested when it came to application of these principles. Manning knew when to stay in bounds, when to play the sidelines, etc. But as a coordinator and play caller, you have to be much more aware of situations and circumstances, when to call runs, when to call passes, when to use a screen play to set up a field goal, etc. You're a little more in tune with the flow of the game, from a big picture standpoint: time, down and distance, etc.. But you don't have all the responsibilities of the head coach, so you're more able to balance the micro/macro aspects of the game. Caldwell jumped straight from position coach to head coach, and his game management was lacking. Having spent time as a coordinator -- which he had never been in the NFL before -- may have helped him in this regard.

The other thing that I think he's lacking in is being a motivational figure. I'm not one who nitpicks about demeanor and disposition, but it's pretty obvious that Caldwell isn't the kind of guy that players are known to rally around. He said himself that he's not a "rah-rah" kind of guy. He has a more reserved personality. I think his players respect him and enjoy playing for him, but when you're in a tough game and guys need to be fired up, it's not going to come from him. That's my opinion, from afar. I'm not in the lockerroom, I don't know what happens on the sidelines, so this is totally just my opinion. But there are certain guys who can handle a room, and you can usually tell who they are. Jim Caldwell doesn't seem like that kind of guy. 

He was handed a team that was built to play an outdated defensive scheme, and then he picked a coordinator that made it even worse. That's an easy fix in Detroit. Teryl Austin is a friend of Caldwell's, but he's worked with the Ravens defense for a few years now, even working under Pagano in 2011. He's probably not a Tampa 2 guy. He's coached in three Super Bowls as an assistant, under three different regimes. Caldwell has said he wants a balanced but aggressive and innovative offense, which is a good sign.

If he has good guys around him, he might be okay. I'm not writing his chances off. I just wouldn't be excited, as a Lions fan, if Jim Caldwell was the new coach of my team. And I don't think being critical of the hire is "Caldwell bashing." 

Dungy thought he'd make a good coach for the Colts, too. 2-14 without PM.

If I were Manning I would have pitched Caldwell to the Chargers or something.

Dungy was correct, as a rookie HC the Colts went 14-2 and went to the SB.  Manning helped for sure but Manning does not automatically mean a SB.  There were two big problems with the 2-14 season... one, as Krunk mentioned, Coyer was a terrible DC when the team is tied or behind.  Two they tried to run the same offense with Collins, Painter and Orlovsky that they did with Manning.  Now was that Caldwell's decision or Polian's I don't know but it was a mistake.

I have met with and spoken to Caldwell and he is an extremely intelligent person who is very precise in his organizational skills and approach.  In just a few minutes of conversation he gave me some excellent tips on being a better coach/items on which to focus and how to take and use notes properly.

I have no doubt he will be successful at Detroit.  But if he hires Coyer again as his DC then I will retract that statement.

Dungy was correct, as a rookie HC the Colts went 14-2 and went to the SB.  Manning helped for sure but Manning does not automatically mean a SB.  There were two big problems with the 2-14 season... one, as Krunk mentioned, Coyer was a terrible DC when the team is tied or behind.  Two they tried to run the same offense with Collins, Painter and Orlovsky that they did with Manning.  Now was that Caldwell's decision or Polian's I don't know but it was a mistake.

I have met with and spoken to Caldwell and he is an extremely intelligent person who is very precise in his organizational skills and approach.  In just a few minutes of conversation he gave me some excellent tips on being a better coach/items on which to focus and how to take and use notes properly.

I have no doubt he will be successful at Detroit.  But if he hires Coyer again as his DC then I will retract that statement.

Coyer should NEVER be hired again with his "Cover Nobody" defense....Makes me cringe.

He should concentrate on professional eating....on July 4th.

If he has good guys around him, he might be okay. I'm not writing his chances off. I just wouldn't be excited, as a Lions fan, if Jim Caldwell was the new coach of my team. And I don't think being critical of the hire is "Caldwell bashing." 

Questioning whether or not he will be a good coach is not bashing.  My bashing comment was directed more at the comments about "deer in the headlights", the fact that he doesn't yell and scream, etc.

I have seen nothing but very angry people posted from many Lions fans. They can't believe they gave Caldwell the job and many feel the same way most Colts fans do about Caldwell. The man may be a nice guy, but he don't seem to be the type of guy that can discipline or encourage guys at all. Most of the Lions fans that have posted comments publicly about this hire, think that it's a bigger joke than the Matt Millen debacle. Since were talking about the Lions ya just never know, but it will shock me if Caldwell lasts longer than 3 yrs. there. Caldwell simply was one of the worst coaches I've ever seen with clock management and in game adjustments(which were pretty much non-existent).

I have seen nothing but very angry people posted from many Lions fans. They can't believe they gave Caldwell the job and many feel the same way most Colts fans do about Caldwell. The man may be a nice guy, but he don't seem to be the type of guy that can discipline or encourage guys at all. Most of the Lions fans that have posted comments publicly about this hire, think that it's a bigger joke than the Matt Millen debacle. Since were talking about the Lions ya just never know, but it will shock me if Caldwell lasts longer than 3 yrs. there. Caldwell simply was one of the worst coaches I've ever seen with clock management and in game adjustments(which were pretty much non-existent).

I have family in Detroit, big Lions' fans. They aren't excited with the hire.

MAC is an insightful cat too & a deep thinker. When he speaks, SW1 listens...

Love cats :kitty: (and they me).

Deep something anyway. :nutz:

:hmm:  I'll have to remember that................... "You are getting sleepy - send MAC some money".

Ya, this is why Detroit is Detroit. Jim isn't a head coach. I just remember Jim on the sidelines with that deer in the headlights look. Jim, move, blink, do something!

Why do people harp on this - as if they can divine the quality of his coaching from his facial expressions. Schwartz had plenty of exiting expressions - and the willingness to darn near assault Jim Harbaugh. The net effect was arguably the most talented team in the division sinking like a rock. Isn't that a bit more revealing?

I didn't think any team could be that stupid. I certainly wouldn't have thought Detroit. Usually it would be Oakland or Cleveland to do something this silly.

The offense will employ the Flacco special - lob up the ball to Boldin Megatron and pray he catches it.

I can't wait to see Suh spiral out of control. More than usual, that is. Caldwell is about the furthest thing from being able to leash guys like that.

Did Peyton employ many "Flacco specials" when Caldwell was helping to mold a talented kid into an mvp?

You are completely missing the point. Do you imagine that one wins a locker room by wrestling people like Suh into submission? Caldwell will set an example and teach them how to act like an adult. It won't take long before they are eager to conform simply because they will desire his respect and approval. These things are done quietly - no leash required - and Caldwell is the perfect man for the job. Others are right to question some of his in game decisions and clock management - we will see what he has learned - but the locker room won't be a problem, and Suh (and Stafford) in particular will be better for this.

Look at it this way. As an assistant, got you a Super Bowl. As HC, got you an AFC Championship and Super Bowl appearance. Went 2-14, but it got you Luck. Went to Baltimore and replaced a hated OC in Cameron, and got the Ravens a Super Bowl ring, by turning the offense into something respectable for the last half of a season. Didn't have a great year as OC in Baltimore this year, but managed to get a head coaching gig in Detroit. Maybe this guy is just lucky, and fortune smiles on him.

I dont think Caldwell will do much in Detroit.

I dont think he is the worst coach in the world, but I think he is more suited to be a OC or a QB coach. That's not a bad thing to be though.

If I was the Lions I would have went all out for Lovey just to tick off the Bears. Plus Lovey has done more with less then Caldwell.

If I was Lovey I would have wanted the Detroit job to rub it in the Bears face that they fired me. Plus the Lions have the players in place to win now, Tampa is gonna need a lot of work.

That ain't how it worked out though so ...

I have a soft spot for Detroit fans. They have never won a Superbowl, so I consider them a true fan base with no bandwagon jumpers.

Where I am from originally, Fort Wayne, you have a lot of Bears fans, half my family are Bears fans, they hated when Lovey was let go. Not many Colts fans were upset when Caldwell was let go.

Lions hired Ron Price (Was a OL coach with us for a few seasons) as the assistant head coach. 

If memory serves he was only here for 1-2 seasons then Pagano/Grigson let him go with the great cleansing of personnel. Can't really pin how much our O-line sucked/still sucks on him. He inherited a mess and just didn't do anything with it.

We'll see how he does as AHC and ol' Blinky as HC.  I think Detroit finishes with 6 wins tops even with a good QB and Megatron doing most of the heavy lifting.

I dont think Caldwell will do much in Detroit.

I dont think he is the worst coach in the world, but I think he is more suited to be a OC or a QB coach. That's not a bad thing to be though.

If I was the Lions I would have went all out for Lovey just to tick off the Bears. Plus Lovey has done more with less then Caldwell.

If I was Lovey I would have wanted the Detroit job to rub it in the Bears face that they fired me. Plus the Lions have the players in place to win now, Tampa is gonna need a lot of work.

That ain't how it worked out though so ...

I have a soft spot for Detroit fans. They have never won a Superbowl, so I consider them a true fan base with no bandwagon jumpers.

Where I am from originally, Fort Wayne, you have a lot of Bears fans, half my family are Bears fans, they hated when Lovey was let go. Not many Colts fans were upset when Caldwell was let go.

some good points there. But yeah- Lions need a big time coach.

I could have coached that 2006 team. They didn't have any competition. I knew the colts would more than likely win the SB first game of season.  Wanna know how? :)   and this after colt fans whined about the run game all year while still winning.

I will give him credit for one thing. He got his D to play the gaps in the 2006 playoffs. Every week after getting ran on he'd say we just have to execute the gaps. So stubborn yet I felt sorry for him.. what else was he going to do with that keystone cops defense.

Well- he got them to execute the gaps when it counted.

I could have coached that 2006 team. They didn't have any competition. I knew the colts would more than likely win the SB first game of season.  Wanna know how? :)   and this after colt fans whined about the run game all year while still winning.

I will give him credit for one thing. He got his D to play the gaps in the 2006 playoffs. Every week after getting ran on he'd say we just have to execute the gaps. So stubborn yet I felt sorry for him.. what else was he going to do with that keystone cops defense.

Well- he got them to execute the gaps when it counted.

Are you thinking of Ron Meeks? I think you're thinking of Ron Meeks...

Well Ron was the DC but Caldwell was still the coach and to me it looked he was the force that made it happen. Steadfast as it was.

Well Caldwell didn't take over until 2009. The Colts went to the SB that year, but lost to the Saints. And Meeks wasn't the coordinator anymore, it was Larry Coyer. Dungy was still the head coach in 2006, which is the year the run defense was atrocious, but we got it together in the playoffs and won the Super Bowl. And Meeks was still Dungy's coordinator.

No big deal either way. Just some crossed wires in there.

Well Caldwell didn't take over until 2009. The Colts went to the SB that year, but lost to the Saints. And Meeks wasn't the coordinator anymore, it was Larry Coyer. Dungy was still the head coach in 2006, which is the year the run defense was atrocious, but we got it together in the playoffs and won the Super Bowl. And Meeks was still Dungy's coordinator.

No big deal either way. Just some crossed wires in there.

duh- forgive me- I messed up- yeah Dungy 06

memories are a fade....hmm good line for a song;-)

Still I'm correct on guessing SB first game 06. Why?  hint it's the QB and has nothing to do with stats. What did he do different that year? :)