Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A New Low In Inept Special Teams

Fatboyslim11

The Colts Special Teams are without a doubt the worse in the NFL.. We have held three times in the first half and still have minus return yards. We have given up a blocked punt for a TD, our ST have put us in terrible field position and the tv sideline shots of Caldwell and the ST coach after the punt block TD shows two blankly staring incompetent people posing as coaches.

When will we get rid of these two * and get real NFL coaching on the team?

The Colts Special Teams are without a doubt the worse in the NFL.. We have held three times in the first half and still have minus return yards. We have given up a blocked punt for a TD, our ST have put us in terrible field position and the tv sideline shots of Caldwell and the ST coach after the punt block TD shows two blankly staring incompetent people posing as coaches.

When will we get rid of these two * and get real NFL coaching on the team?

I totally agree with you. On the replay I noticed #57, right next to Snow, immediately block to his outside gap, which is the biggest no-no in special teams...I mean seriously...these guys are supposed to be professionals right? You ALWAYS block down on special teams, ALWAYS. They teach that crap in pee-wee football and our special ed. teams still can't figure it out. ST coach...enjoy getting fired after the season.

And we might as well add our offense to the list too. This has been the one of the most un-inspired, un-imaginative, and most anemic offense's I've seen by us in a long time. Is it possible to get maybe just one first down in the first half? Maybe just one? And maybe throw the ball down the field a little bit? Like over 5 yards? And maybe have Painter not throw it to somebody who has a defender in their face every time? I'm sorry but Painter has looked God-awful the past two games and today he's showing why he got paid to hold a clipboard the past couple of years. Hopefully our inept FO doesn't decide to build this franchise around him or I might seriously question my fandom for this organization.

But hey...at least the defense decided to actually show up today! yay :clap:

The return teams (kick and punt) are horrible, due to the bad blocking. The punt block that they had today, was just because we were really buried in our zone and Pat took a while to actually punt the ball. At the end of the day, it didn't make a difference and it's not something we should worry about.

That poor boy we have running back kickoffs doesnt seem to want to.

Blair White catches the ball...does he know you can run with it after you catch it...?

I appreciate that we have a lot of street players on specialk teams (except for Pat Angerer ..and why is he there?)

but we are crippled on special teams ..totally...

That...is going to get somebody fired, first...

The return teams (kick and punt) are horrible, due to the bad blocking. The punt block that they had today, was just because we were really buried in our zone and Pat took a while to actually punt the ball. At the end of the day, it didn't make a difference and it's not something we should worry about.

Andy, I think of you as a knowledgeable NFL fan, but are you saying that our special teams play, which is horrendous in all aspects, does not matter? I do not even understand this thought process. We have been terrible for years and it impacts our games in many ways. I am actually shocked. There are three phases to this game and we have not played 1/3 of it in close to a decade.

We have to hold every player, every coach, and our front office to a high standard. I understand having hope for wins week to week, but I don't see how anyone can defend anyone on this coaching staff. If peyton were here this year, we wouldn't be having this conversation, because we would be having another successful year. But it is no excuse to not being able to coach the team we have. If our special teams coach is here, that would be pretty remarkable. He has had three years (or is it 4). We have regressed, if anything, under him

oh wait according the caldwell "were playng well in all phases of the game" remember that after the saints game.... yeah so we are playing really well today.

special teams are getting better, six inches at a time, and i must add all correctable mistakes. please give them time. they are watching film and making adjustments.

Do you remember the Special team ratings stat the network showed in the first half. Punt return: Last, Kickoff return: Last. If that is playing well in all phases of the game he better wake up and stop smoking the weed.

oh wait according the caldwell "were playng well in all phases of the game" remember that after the saints game.... yeah so we are playing really well today.

That poor boy we have running back kickoffs doesnt seem to want to.

Who...Lefeged? You got that way wrong. The issue with him is he needs to stop running kicks out, as he continually stuffs us at the 10-15 YRD line.

As for our ST coach, how frickin hard is it to tell Lefeged to STOP doing that?

Who...Lefeged? You got that way wrong. The issue with him is he needs to stop running kicks out, as he continually stuffs us at the 10-15 YRD line.

You are right Ruk. I mean its not rocket science. If we tell him to just stay in the end zone and take a knee then we get the ball on the 20 consistently and don't allow our special teams a chance to commit penalties that result in "half the distance to the goal line". That's an improvement right there. Rychlewski is the worst special teams coach I've seen here. The guys we got returning kicks couldn't take it to the house against a pee wee squad.

Edited by Coltsman1788

You are right Ruk. I mean its not rocket science. If we tell him to just stay in the end zone and take a knee then we get the ball on the 20 consistently and don't allow our special teams a chance to commit penalties that result in "half the distance to the goal line". That's an improvement right there. Rychlewski is the worst special teams coach I've seen here. The guys we got returning kicks couldn't take it to the house against a pee wee squad.

Our kick returners probably don't know what take it to the house means. rotfl

Do we have to look at that sack over your head until we win a game? If so decorate it for the holidays will ya. haha

Andy, I think of you as a knowledgeable NFL fan, but are you saying that our special teams play, which is horrendous in all aspects, does not matter? I do not even understand this thought process. We have been terrible for years and it impacts our games in many ways. I am actually shocked. There are three phases to this game and we have not played 1/3 of it in close to a decade.

We have to hold every player, every coach, and our front office to a high standard. I understand having hope for wins week to week, but I don't see how anyone can defend anyone on this coaching staff. If peyton were here this year, we wouldn't be having this conversation, because we would be having another successful year. But it is no excuse to not being able to coach the team we have. If our special teams coach is here, that would be pretty remarkable. He has had three years (or is it 4). We have regressed, if anything, under him

I think you misunderstood me. When I said "it's something we shouldn't worry about" I was talking about the blocked punt, not the punting game in general, just that blocked punt.

I think that our main problem on kick return and punt return has been the blocking more than the actual returner. Notice how Blair White (BTW he's injured) has to always fair catch the ball... that's because the opposing players always get their quickly and that's because of initial blocking from our players. On kick return, we have had good returners in Dominic Rhodes and Chad Simpson, both have gotten a TD in their career, but most of the time they would get tackled before they get to the 20. You blame the returner if he chooses the wrong hole to run through, or if he dances around, but if he's running out at a good speed and there's a swarm of unblocked players, that's the blockers fault. Good special teams blocking leads to big plays... the Colts have terrible blocking.

I hope I cleared that up.

RUK...He scared..cant you see that?. he does NOT want to run back kicks...