Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano says give Trent the off season to become great

lollygagger8

Imo of course. But Trent needs to be sheltered from the media. I think Pagano is making a huge mistake saying anything to the media at all about Trent. He needs to give a very generic response in regards to Trent. He doesn't need the attention and he doesn't need anymore of a pedestal he has already been given. Luck is the best example and Trent should follow suit. Stay out of the media and focus on your craft. Your not any gifted than anyone else you gotta work hard and get the mind straight. And stop putting pressure on yourself because of said comments. Of course what do I know I'm just a fan.

Hard to believe that it is now 2014, and we are still saying that McGlynn has to go...and I was so sure of myself that McGlynn wouldn't make the roster in '13.  Groundhog Day!  

Not for some. I think he will be here next year as well. Satele I see gone.

I think he will improve but not like Donald Brown. Brown always was fast just didn't have vision, Trent just doesn't seem to have the quickness he had at Alabama. He doesn't have to be great 700 to 800 yards, 8 TD's would be good enough imo because were going to be a passing team anyway. Trent and Ballard could both split carries and catch out of the back field we don't need him to be a bell cow RB. 

Right now Satele is scheduled to be our third highest paid player on offense next year.  I just don't think you can justify bringing him back based on his production for that kind of money. 

I wouldn't bring Satele back at vet minimum.  I would consider bringing Mcglynn back as a back up C/G before I would let Satele back at center (and that actually hurt to type).

A lot of what we are saying here we have said before...especially the Satele/ McGlynn stuff which I totally agree with.

I have a question.  How many offenses can a young man 'digest' in a short period of time?  He has had 3 different offenses in 2 years to learn.  I am not so sure I would be comfortable at every step....that my Colts friends is a difficult task.

I think T-Rich will get to 1,000 also, and yes we need to see him in the passing game   He is dangerous and can be even more so!

One thing we cannot argue is his effort even when Satele, McGlynn and Thornton are blown into the backfield...

PS:  Why did the Colts not pick up Louis Vasquez as I hollered and screamed for last spring/summer?  Zero sacks allowed...of course number 18 knows how to get rid of the ball :)

I do belive the reason the Colts didn't get Vasquez is because he only wanted to go to Denver...Colts didn't have a chance

Yeah I know...free means free doesn't it?  Go where yu want for the right money.  He would have made a difference for us though!!

I think he will improve but not like Donald Brown. Brown always was fast just didn't have vision, Trent just doesn't seem to have the quickness he had at Alabama. He doesn't have to be great 700 to 800 yards, 8 TD's would be good enough imo because were going to be a passing team anyway. Trent and Ballard could both split carries and catch out of the back field we don't need him to be a bell cow RB. 

He does not have NFL linemen like he did at Alabama :)

the last time we had a RB drafted so high was edge. when he came in the final preseason game after his holdout he looked like a superstar from his first carry forward

the last time we had a RB drafted so high was edge. when he came in the final preseason game after his holdout he looked like a superstar from his first carry forward

And a whole lotta folks were dumbfounded when we picked Edge.....back then I did not know much about him because I did not care for Miami.  Only watched them if playing Notre Dame!!

In all fairness, I thought the Colts originally made a decent move getting Richardson, considering all the RB injuries that you had. Seeing him this year, and thinking back to the games he played against the Ravens, I think this one just has to be pawned off as a bad trade for the Colts. You understand why the trade was made, but like the Ravens/Boldin trade, they both look like bad deals. It happens.

FIx the o-line. Check. Use Richardson more...Ah no, I want to see Ahmad Bradshaw become our primary work horse back not Richardson. Keep Trent sure, but I want Bradshaw to be our German tank that gets the tough infantry yards next season with Brown & Richardson as 2nd & 3rd backs in the rotation. JMO.

If Bradshaw's feet are good, ride that beast to the promiseland baby! 

I would love nothing more than to see both Bradshaw and Brown back as well; however, it's just not in the cards. With Ballard and Richardson under contract, I see us resigning Bradshaw OR Brown. I really can't see them resigning both. Although, a stable with Bradshaw, Ballard, Brown, and TRich (with a full offseason of chemistry with a hopefully new interior line) could be nasty. 

After changing the way we approached games later in the season, almost abandoning the 22 personnel specifically, tells me that I don't think he wants the power run game to be THE focal point.  Rather, that it should be an element of our offense.  This offense must center around Luck for us to have a chance.  The only way I'm okay with that not being the case is if Trent somehow plays on the level of guys like Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch...and there just isn't the evidence there to believe that will ever be the case. 

That being said, we need our run game to be able to get us in manageable 2nd and 3rd downs, gash a 20 yard+ run on occasion, and be able to punch the ball a yard or 2 on short down and short goalline situations.  If Trent ever became that dependable, then this trade might have actually been worth it.  With Luck in the passing game and that sort of run game, there's no reason to think our offense wouldn't be top 5 year in and year out.  But as many have said, our offensive line MUST improve.  If D. Thomas stays healthy, one of hte young guys step up or we get a quality OL in free agency, and we hit in the draft on another interior line like the Lions did with Warford, we could be that offense.  We're still another offseason away and where the trent trade puts us behing the 8 ball is that we also have 3 or 4 quality starters (if not more) that we need to find to plug into our defense. 

I really hope you're right. Honestly, after reading Pagano's comments I am petrified by the fact that I actually think he is suggesting they are going to go back to running the same type of offense that they did to start this season. And I don't like that at all.

I really hope you're right. Honestly, after reading Pagano's comments I am petrified by the fact that I actually think he is suggesting they are going to go back to running the same type of offense that they did to start this season. And I don't like that at all.

I really don't either.  Maybe if we had the OL for it, but right now we just don't.  And lets be honest, Luck will be much more dangerous than pretty mcuh any RB ever could.  It would just be nice to have the run game as an option, if for no other reason, be able to kill the clock late in the game.  Of course, itt's not like we've had that many opportunities for that since we always seem to be playing from behind lol.

Grigson and Pagano must continue to improve the quality of depth on the roster. It's not enough to simply replace an undersized Center with a bigger-better Center and then hope all the other starters will remain healthy for the entire season. Sooner or later, one or more of the starters will get injured, and then we're back to playing with weak/terrible backups.

I get envious when I look at San Francisco's roster because it's stacked deep with quality players. It's no coincidence they're contending for the NFC Championship two years in a row. Many of their 2nd and 3rd string backups are better than our starters. They have Marcus Lattimore as their 4th-string RB waiting in reserve behind Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, and LaMichael James. Now that's what I call QUALITY depth.