Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano says give Trent the off season to become great

lollygagger8

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000312826/article/chuck-pagano-trent-richardson-can-be-key-factor

This weekend offered one unconquerable truth to NFL teams with Lombardi dreams: Run or die.

"If you look at the games that were played this weekend, and you look at the amount of rushes I think our game New England rushed 46 times in all three of the games," said Pagano, whose team was run over by the Patriots on Saturday night.As our own Chris Wesseling pointed out Sunday night, power football carried the day for teams that advanced to next Sunday's conference title games. This trend did not escape Indianapolis Colts coach Chuck Pagano, who elaborated on the topic during his end-of-season press conference on Monday.

"So will we ever change? No. I don't think it's ever more prevalent -- the deeper you go, the farther you get in the playoffs you have to be able to run the football and stop the run. And I think statistics alone from this past weekend are enough to continue to make me be a believer."

This is where Trent Richardson comes in. The running back was a non-factor being acquired from theCleveland Browns for a first-round pick in September. Pagano still believes Richardson can be a big part of Indy's future.

"He wants to be great. He's got all the talent, he's got all the ability. We would never have done what we did if we didn't believe that. We look for him to have a great offseason and have a great 2014 campaign.""We all understand how he got here. He was thrown into the mix like that," Pagano said. "So now he has an opportunity to go through an offseason and be with us for a full year headed into 2014 campaign.

Pagano's hopes of having the power attack he craves is directly attached to Richardson's ability to resurrect a once-promising career. You have to wonder if the coach is as confident as he lets on.

Well what's Pagano going to say?  This is as good as he's going to be? 

I hope Pagano is right though.  We saw first hand Saturday night if the Colts can be what Pep wants them to be on offense and Trent can be as good as the Colts thought he was going to be when they traded for him how effective being able to just line up and ram the ball down the other teams throat can be. 

Timing is key when being a runner. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

If he doesn't pan out next year - then sorry, it doesn't pan out with TRent. He has the potential. Never judge on half a season without OTA's, TC, pre-season...

I want Trent to do well....
But I really wonder how people magically assume he will go from an absolutely horrendous year to a great one.
Yes, of course OTA's and offseason stuff helps, but it's not like Trent was brought in a month ago.  He has been working with this O line for months and months.  And he has not progressed, at all.  It is kind of scary.

Pagano has to say that.  There can't be too many guys on that roster with more self esteem issues than TRich

Was never opposed to the premise, but we didn't do a good job of implementing this in 2013. Satele and McGlynn have to go, for starters.

Hard to believe that it is now 2014, and we are still saying that McGlynn has to go...and I was so sure of myself that McGlynn wouldn't make the roster in '13.  Groundhog Day!  

I think Trent will be a 1000 yard and 10 TD guy for us at about 4 ypc next year, If i'm wrong i'll eat crow, but i believe it

You're not the only one. Though it all depends on upgrading the line.

Mcglynn, Thornton, and Satele were all among the worst players at their positions last year. Thornton may have room to grow, but I hope they don't count on it. Mcglynn and Satele just need to go.

Not sure if I entirely agree. I do agree that you need to be able to run the ball to keep drives alive. I don't agree that power-running should become the focal point of this team. The Colts offense began to actually look like an offense once Pep stopped messing around with his bogus jumbo sets and let Luck sling the ball around. I want the ball in Luck's hands at least 60% of the time if not more. I think the main issue is the vanilla playcalling. How about some bootlegs for God's sake?

We should have known that Pagano would use the game Saturday as a spring board to trying to further push the "power running" agenda. I actually really like Pagano, but I am sick and tired of this obsession with the power run game when we have one of the next great QBs lining up under center. Let him do his thing and use the pass to set up the run. Not vice versa.

Trent just needs confidence in himself and hit the hole hard. He was dancing way too much before hitting the line. Also we have to utilize him as a pass catching back like they did in Cleveland

One of the better quotes I saw about Trent was "He needs to stop trying to run like he's Warrick Dunn."  One cut and go and learn to not go down when someone breathes on you. 

Personally I think Trent is proving it doesn't matter how good a college team is they aren't going to beat a NFL team to look at that age old argument.  Trent destroyed teams in college and is now at the NFL level and struggling. 

A lot of what we are saying here we have said before...especially the Satele/ McGlynn stuff which I totally agree with.

I have a question.  How many offenses can a young man 'digest' in a short period of time?  He has had 3 different offenses in 2 years to learn.  I am not so sure I would be comfortable at every step....that my Colts friends is a difficult task.

I think T-Rich will get to 1,000 also, and yes we need to see him in the passing game   He is dangerous and can be even more so!

One thing we cannot argue is his effort even when Satele, McGlynn and Thornton are blown into the backfield...

PS:  Why did the Colts not pick up Louis Vasquez as I hollered and screamed for last spring/summer?  Zero sacks allowed...of course number 18 knows how to get rid of the ball :)

A lot of what we are saying here we have said before...especially the Satele/ McGlynn stuff which I totally agree with.

I have a question.  How many offenses can a young man 'digest' in a short period of time?  He has had 3 different offenses in 2 years to learn.  I am not so sure I would be comfortable at every step....that my Colts friends is a difficult task.

I think T-Rich will get to 1,000 also, and yes we need to see him in the passing game   He is dangerous and can be even more so!

One thing we cannot argue is his effort even when Satele, McGlynn and Thornton are blown into the backfield...

PS:  Why did the Colts not pick up Louis Vasquez as I hollered and screamed for last spring/summer?  Zero sacks allowed...of course number 18 knows how to get rid of the ball :)

I do belive the reason the Colts didn't get Vasquez is because he only wanted to go to Denver...Colts didn't have a chance

Not sure if I entirely agree. I do agree that you need to be able to run the ball to keep drives alive. I don't agree that power-running should become the focal point of this team. The Colts offense began to actually look like an offense once Pep stopped messing around with his bogus jumbo sets and let Luck sling the ball around. I want the ball in Luck's hands at least 60% of the time if not more. I think the main issue is the vanilla playcalling. How about some bootlegs for God's sake?

We should have known that Pagano would use the game Saturday as a spring board to trying to further push the "power running" agenda. I actually really like Pagano, but I am sick and tired of this obsession with the power run game when we have one of the next great QBs lining up under center. Let him do his thing and use the pass to set up the run. Not vice versa.

After changing the way we approached games later in the season, almost abandoning the 22 personnel specifically, tells me that I don't think he wants the power run game to be THE focal point.  Rather, that it should be an element of our offense.  This offense must center around Luck for us to have a chance.  The only way I'm okay with that not being the case is if Trent somehow plays on the level of guys like Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch...and there just isn't the evidence there to believe that will ever be the case. 

That being said, we need our run game to be able to get us in manageable 2nd and 3rd downs, gash a 20 yard+ run on occasion, and be able to punch the ball a yard or 2 on short down and short goalline situations.  If Trent ever became that dependable, then this trade might have actually been worth it.  With Luck in the passing game and that sort of run game, there's no reason to think our offense wouldn't be top 5 year in and year out.  But as many have said, our offensive line MUST improve.  If D. Thomas stays healthy, one of hte young guys step up or we get a quality OL in free agency, and we hit in the draft on another interior line like the Lions did with Warford, we could be that offense.  We're still another offseason away and where the trent trade puts us behing the 8 ball is that we also have 3 or 4 quality starters (if not more) that we need to find to plug into our defense. 

Posted this in another thread but I feel it's relevant here. It shows how Andrew Luck feels about T-rich.

I can't forget the look on Lucks face when the play call came in. I forget the down and distance but this was his reaction. I was wondering what the play call would be that would make him look so confused. When the play came in through his helmet, he was visibly confused. 

I say to my gf "he hates this play, wonder what it is"
- see Richardson in the backfield, know what's coming 
- gain of 0

luck23.gif

FIx the o-line. Check. Use Richardson more...Ah no, I want to see Ahmad Bradshaw become our primary work horse back not Richardson. Keep Trent sure, but I want Bradshaw to be our German tank that gets the tough infantry yards next season with Brown & Richardson as 2nd & 3rd backs in the rotation. JMO.

If Bradshaw's feet are good, ride that beast to the promiseland baby! 

As colt fans we hope he becomes that guy.Donald brown ran pretty well behind that horrible line,didn't he?

Yes he did. However, most of those runs were bounced or cutback against the direction the play was intended. I'd like to see our OL create some run lanes. The New England Patriots have an all world OL every year and that's why Brady and a bunch of scrubs can churn out some sort of offensive production.

Last year, Andrew was either getting sacked, hit, or had his pocket impeded on almost every pass attempt. They got a little better this year, but I think we need a wholesale OL change.

"He wants to be great," Pagano added. "He's got all the talent, he's got all the ability." 

I believe that Trent is committed to improving his craft so I will give him time & the benefit of the doubt for 1 more year.

But Chuck, please stop making him out to be a HOF RB like Marshal Faulk or Barry Sanders. LOL! 

Posted this in another thread but I feel it's relevant here. It shows how Andrew Luck feels about T-rich.

Just like on that play he needs to stop worrying about hitting the pre determined hole. If it's not there bounce out and take off. Split second, no hesitation

Yes he did. However, most of those runs were bounced or cutback against the direction the play was intended. I'd like to see our OL create some run lanes. The New England Patriots have an all world OL every year and that's why Brady and a bunch of scrubs can churn out some sort of offensive production.

Last year, Andrew was either getting sacked, hit, or had his pocket impeded on almost every pass attempt. They got a little better this year, but I think we need a wholesale OL change.

Bingo! Give me some stout power pigs up front...At least some nice new additions & some fresh feet rotation wise on the pass rush front. Mathis & Redding need some help & a worthy replacement when Mathis & Redding need a breather on the sidelines for a couple of downs. 

Honestly, if Grigs spent all our draft on o-line men this May, I would be overjoyed with that & pass rushers next year I would be cool with that philosophy. Winning football games begins & ends with a clean pocket for our elite field general. 

PS Skip Bayless regarding 2nd guessing Luck's superior skill set can to paraphrase Peyton Manning "stick it where the sun doesn't shine."  haha

One of the better quotes I saw about Trent was "He needs to stop trying to run like he's Warrick Dunn."  One cut and go and learn to not go down when someone breathes on you. 

Personally I think Trent is proving it doesn't matter how good a college team is they aren't going to beat a NFL team to look at that age old argument.  Trent destroyed teams in college and is now at the NFL level and struggling. 

I have noticed that when they get his foot or heck even his toe he goes nowhere and then he goes down. But when they try to tackle him a little higher he will have like 5 guys hanging on him and he still won't go down. Granted he doesn't go forward and get more yards either but he stays on his feet the whole time. Maybe he can strengthen certain parts of his legs so that he doesn't get shoestring tackled so easily because then I think you will see something more like beast mode.

Create holes with a proper line, and he'll show why he was drafted 3rd overall.

But anybody should be able to run through open holes with a proper O line. We didn't need to trade our first round draft pick to find someone to do that.

A first round caliber running back should be able to make some things happen on his own on ocassion.  TRich has yet to show that ability.   

Just like on that play he needs to stop worrying about hitting the pre determined hole. If it's not there bounce out and take off. Split second, no hesitation

Excellent point NE! TR's improvisation skills really do suck. And why does he not run outside when there is no hole there to run through? I realize that he runs primarily downhill meaning north & south, but why can TR not adapt quicker on the fly when plays breakdown & just are not there. Run around the pile not directly at it TR...Sigh...Will he ever learn that? God, I hope so.

I have seen flashes of brilliance from TR but too often I end up having this reaction at what he does on the field... :facepalm:  He tries to improve I know, but his 6th sense feels like -1 sometimes. I can't lie.

Trent just needs confidence in himself and hit the hole hard. He was dancing way too much before hitting the line. Also we have to utilize him as a pass catching back like they did in Cleveland

could not agree more. he will be a good back once he finally realizes his potential. just a shame a lot of people want him gone so soon.