Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fleener or Allen?

Ken S.

The only problem I see with the 2 TE set, is that we'll be taking some reps away from our receivers who can use them. If we do use this a lot, I think Rodgers will never get the chance to develop like I think he can. Even Whalen and Brazil will get pushed further and further to the bottom.

Guess you don`t get it that Andrew throws to his primary receiver MOST of the time.

It doesn`t matter if you are open a lot, if you aren`t the target cause he isn`t looking.

He ran wide open all the time last season and this, to no avail.

Great hands, PFF`s 6 rated pass blocking TE with one fail in 40 attempts.

6 catches and about 15 yards behind the 3rd best season D Clark ever had with Manning who does see the whole field and threw very accurately.

Coby is just fine.

Andrew doesn't throw to his open receiver?  huh

He seems to have the best vision of any of the young quarterbacks and does a pretty good job of seeing the field.  If you watch games, Fleener does not typically get seperation from even line backers.  Nor does he draw extra attention from safeties (like Jimmy Graham does) to help other WR's get open.

Fleener was nowhere near the production that Clark was with this team.  I can't even believe you just compared them

Andrew doesn't throw to his open receiver?  huh

He seems to have the best vision of any of the young quarterbacks and does a pretty good job of seeing the field.  If you watch games, Fleener does not typically get seperation from even line backers.  Nor does he draw extra attention from safeties (like Jimmy Graham does) to help other WR's get open.

Fleener was nowhere near the production that Clark was with this team.  I can't even believe you just compared them

Can you read? Do you watch? Of course Andrew is very weak at checking down. He throws to his primary receiver covered or not at a very high %.

AS the record shows, this season FleenR was within just a few catches and less than 15 yards of Clarks 3rd best receiving season with ****Peyton Manning**** as his QB.  Manning on time, with Consistently more catchable (note Havili) ball placement!

If you can`t GET IT, LOL.

FleenR was wide open along the sideline about 10-12 yards downfield with Allen nearby on the seam about 5 yards deeper sandwiched between 2 defenders. Where did Andrew throw? High to Allen, hung him up in the air to get hit. SEASON OVER!

DUMB throw not taking what the D gives you or NO Vision? Take your pick.

It was a Miracle in 2012 Reggie wasn`t knocked out for the year with all the times he was Crushed going up for those high balls Andrew FORCED to him in coverage.

Also Clark NEVER had a season where he blocked as well as FleenR did this season. Clark couldn`t block his shadow.

FleenR was 6th at 98+% success rate on pass blocking. Do you remember what it looked like watching Clark trying to block Anyone? Pathetic!

Yes, Manning if more accurate in his year two it wouldn`t have been by much. By the time Clark came he was throwing a much more catchable ball than Luck did this year. Clark Always had his drops

FleenR is just fine. Hate on. Bet you dumped on Jerry Hughes too!

I became really impressed and encouraged with the play of Fleener the second half of the season. Behind TY, he clearly became our second option when Wayne went down(*although Whalen came on those last few games.*) If we can get the right pieces this off season, I'm pretty sure Pep will be working on getting our run game right and probably try to ease back into the power run scheme. If that is the case, do you think Fleener will lose his starting role to the better run and pass blocking ability of Allen? Or how do you think we will use these guys together? I think we have 2 of the top 10-15 TE's on our team.

Two different players who can bring you two different elements on the field.

Fleener proved he can play in the NFL.

I think we need to have both of these guys on the field As much as possible in 2014.

For me it isnt about Fleener OR Allen, its about what creates the biggest mismatch for the defense that we are up against that week. Allen is a good reciever who blocks better than Fleener while Fleener isnt as good of a blocker but is quicker, taller and more of a red zone threat. I see us using multiple different combinations next year. Well see more 2 tight end sets which hopefully (with an improved o-line) will get our run game going. Im sure we will also see Fleener split out wide like he sometimes was this year. Against some teams it will make more sense to bring in 2 tight ends to attack the defense by running the ball (though both Allen and Fleener dont lose too much in the recieving aspect of the game), other times we will find matchup problems with 3 recievers so Im just glad we have both them them to be honest. I feel we have many ways to attack defenses next year with Allen, Fleener, TY, Reggie, Brazill, Rogers and Whalen.

Allen is easily the better Tight End.

Fleener, with his size and speed should be winning most of his match ups but doesn't.

He's a decent route runner and still drops a few passes when they aren't thrown to his chest (he even drops those at times lol). Allen has amazing hands, and unlike the rest of the team sans Wayne and TY he doesn't have the tendency to become chest catcher. Which makes him a great pass catcher in traffic. Allen is also a better blocker and route runner too- so in other words. He's a more complete TE if we're going by today standard. Fleener did step his game up later in the season though..

So I'll give him that.

I became really impressed and encouraged with the play of Fleener the second half of the season. Behind TY, he clearly became our second option when Wayne went down(*although Whalen came on those last few games.*) If we can get the right pieces this off season, I'm pretty sure Pep will be working on getting our run game right and probably try to ease back into the power run scheme. If that is the case, do you think Fleener will lose his starting role to the better run and pass blocking ability of Allen? Or how do you think we will use these guys together? I think we have 2 of the top 10-15 TE's on our team.

we can use them both together..Allen as the in-line TE and Fleener split out as a wide out..

Its going to be a great team now that both are proven

The only problem I see with the 2 TE set, is that we'll be taking some reps away from our receivers who can use them. If we do use this a lot, I think Rodgers will never get the chance to develop like I think he can. Even Whalen and Brazil will get pushed further and further to the bottom.

If you don't use a FB and you can use 2 TEs and 2 WRs and run the ball on early downs..giving you equal run-pass options

What I would consider doing is this:

Release Saunders or Doyle

Sign one of the following blocking TE's

1.Bear Pascoe

2.Micheal Hoomanawanui

3.Matt Mulligan

Keep Havili because he can make a nice option pass catching out of the backfield, Make 12 personnel our base package but use plenty of 21 personnel.....With some 20 personnel tied in

What I would consider doing is this:

Release Saunders or Doyle

Sign one of the following blocking TE's

1.Bear Pascoe

2.Micheal Hoomanawanui

3.Matt Mulligan

Keep Havili because he can make a nice option pass catching out of the backfield, Make 12 personnel our base package but use plenty of 21 personnel.....With some 20 personnel tied in

no way. Stay away from 21 and 20

it should be allen and that shouldnt be a question. we should use fleener more like we did clark in the slot. i love the bunchWR sets that we do... allen is waaay better and even after his injury i think/hope he beats out fleener. next year is gonna be awesome with him ballard reggie and donald thomas back for the offense

I think this a non issue subject. Allen proved he is a very good player right along with Fleener as well. There were some who thought Fleener was a bust and a waisted draft pick. That has been proved wrong no doubt. Way too many look at a few good or bad plays and make comments without seeing the big picture. Each game plan can differ from week to week. Both players have their rolls to play and will change from game to game. One can say or feel that one is better but they both play on a team. With that in mind both are needed to help win games. You ask Fleener or Allen? I say both are needed equally in the team concept. There are 11 players on the field and it takes all 11 to do their jobs to be successful. 

allen did not get an acl injury

I wish it was an ACL injury, rehab for ACLs involve serious amount of core and leg strengthening which mean players usually come back stronger. Hip injuries are more about recuperation time and often never fully heal.

They may play the same position, but they have very different skillsets and thus very different roles, so it does not make sense to compare the two.

We will more than likely have 2 TEs in our base, and the routes the two run, where they line-up and their assignments will be very different.

Allen is a much more complete player, but Fleener brings the atheticism that is a matchup issue, something Allen cannot replicate.

Two talented third year players, the future is very bright.

Fleener showed some improvement this year, but I'm really looking forward to seeing him get better at running his routes, and timing his jumps.  This next season should be fun to watch with all of the injured Colts making their returns.  Plus, seeing a 6' 6", 247 lb Cro-Magnon doing jazz hands is HILARIOUS!