Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We still won a home playoff game at least

Jules

Which is huge to me. I always said I did not want to get into the habit again of losing and underachieving in home playoff games again. I want to keep playing in Indy something to fear. So in the Luck era in two years we are 1-0 in home playoff games.

Granted yes we are 0-2 on the road. One loss as rookies to the eventual SB Champions which featured a loaded veteran defense hungry to win it all. And the other this year to possibly the best QB/HC duo in history.

I want to win a Super Bowl as much as anyone but so far so good......we will get there.

Yes, I agree, it is a good start.

I just want Irsay to be patient, and the fans too. Eventually, we are going to have to win road games to get a good AFC seeding so that we can host MORE home playoff games. If we make home a dangerous place to play for other teams, we need to win just enough to be a top 2 seed in the AFC, IMO.

The thing that gets overlooked is that when you get to the divisional round, you have essentially won a game without playing it. I'd still like the odds if we continue to be good at home to get a top 2 seeding in the AFC, wouldn't you?

Our biggest step next year towards an AFC seeding might be holding home court vs the Patriots.

I also feel that playing the NFC East, we are in good position to win enough road games to go at least 12-4 or better next year, given how up and down that miserable division is.

Yes, I agree, it is a good start.

I just want Irsay to be patient, and the fans too. Eventually, we are going to have to win road games to get a good AFC seeding so that we can host MORE home playoff games. If we make home a dangerous place to play for other teams, we need to win just enough to be a top 2 seed in the AFC, IMO.

The thing that gets overlooked is that when you get to the divisional round, you have essentially won a game without playing it. I'd still like the odds if we continue to be good at home to get a top 2 seeding in the AFC, wouldn't you?

Our biggest step next year towards an AFC seeding might be holding home court vs the Patriots.

I also feel that playing the NFC East, we are in good position to win enough road games to go at least 12-4 or better next year, given how up and down that miserable division is.

Yep, while I do feel a few of our division rivals may improve I am personally counting again on a division title early on barring a major injury. I predicted 11-5 and the South last offseason and I think it could be done again. Possibly 12 + wins if we can hold serve vs. the NFC East like you mentioned which is a helter skelter division in recent years without a real powerhouse. Playing Denver/NE won't be easy either though. I think we can take Cincy in a rematch hopefully. And it may be tough to sweep the division again but it is not impossible either but we have to see who improves and how much in an offseason. Playing the NFC West this year was quite the handful.....

Do we host NE or do we go there AGAIN? Shudders.....seems like a constant. NE is the toughest challenge for our long term hopes IMO.

Yep, while I do feel a few of our division rivals may improve I am personally counting again on a division title early on barring a major injury. I predicted 11-5 and the South last offseason and I think it could be done again. Possibly 12 + wins if we can hold serve vs. the NFC East like you mentioned which is a helter skelter division in recent years without a real powerhouse. Playing Denver/NE won't be easy either though. I think we can take Cincy in a rematch hopefully. And it may be tough to sweep the division again but it is not impossible either but we have to see who improves and how much in an offseason. Playing the NFC West this year was quite the handful.....

Do we host NE or do we go there AGAIN? Shudders.....seems like a constant. NE is the toughest challenge for our long term hopes IMO.

We host NE in 2014. We go to Denver in 2014. Beating Bengals and Ravens at home is definitely doable and is a MUST for getting higher AFC seeding at a bare minimum. At Giants, At Browns and At Cowboys are not as scary to me unless it is at Cowboys during thanksgiving when Romo plays better than in December.

3 swing games - home to Patriots, at Denver, at Pittsburgh could determine if we can finish in the 12-13 win range

We host NE in 2014. We go to Denver in 2014. Beating Bengals and Ravens at home is definitely doable and is a MUST for getting higher AFC seeding at a bare minimum. At Giants, At Browns and At Cowboys are not as scary to me unless it is at Cowboys during thanksgiving when Romo plays better than in December.

3 swing games - home to Patriots, at Denver, at Pittsburgh could determine if we can finish in the 12-13 win range

Well Brady has yet to win in LOS right? Maybe that can continue. :) At Denver will be interesting. Pittsburgh? Oh gross........

Hey it took Manning six years and four trys to win a playoff game more proof that this team is ahead of schedule.  Like I've been saying this was supposed to be year two of a three to four year rebuilding project after the 2-14 season.  Pagano and Grigson to their credit didn't settle for that and has built a team that is winning way sooner than most of us every thought they were going to after the 2-14 season. 

The most amazing thing to me is the Colts talked all week about limiting interceptions and being ready for the run.  Neither of which did the Colts team do.  This was  a team loss on both sides of the ball.  Irsay paid all this money for new players and you have a defense who cannot stop a blind man with a walker and an offense that cannot pass block, run block, run the ball, or get separation on pass plays.  Better be prepared for more of the same next year.  The schedule is not easier and unless you have a lot of free agents wanting to come to Indy, the Colts might be stuck with the players they have. 

Hey it took Manning six years and four trys to win a playoff game more proof that this team is ahead of schedule.  Like I've been saying this was supposed to be year two of a three to four year rebuilding project after the 2-14 season.  Pagano and Grigson to their credit didn't settle for that and has built a team that is winning way sooner than most of us every thought they were going to after the 2-14 season. 

The problem is that we are winning quicker than expected resulting in greater expectations. It does not help us that we have a lousy division that nearly does not provide us the tests we need. So, a 12 or 13 game season can still not reflect what we are due to a lousy division. What will show up is how we handle elite teams at home. If we continue to handle elite teams well at home like we did with the Seahawks and Broncos this year, then we can say that a 12 or 13 game season WITH GOOD HEALTH would make us extremely dangerous at home.

Irsay paid all this money for new players and you have a defense who cannot stop a blind man with a walker and an offense that cannot pass block, run block, run the ball, or get separation on pass plays.

For the money spent, I'm not sure how much better of a team we were.  Must do better in 2014.

The problem is that we are winning quicker than expected resulting in greater expectations. It does not help us that we have a lousy division that nearly does not provide us the tests we need. So, a 12 or 13 game season can still not reflect what we are due to a lousy division. What will show up is how we handle elite teams at home. If we continue to handle elite teams well at home like we did with the Seahawks and Broncos this year, then we can say that a 12 or 13 game season WITH GOOD HEALTH would make us extremely dangerous at home.

Heck look at what we did to 49ers on the road when we were relatively healthy.  The Reggie injury after all the others was just one too many.  Frankly I think this time showed a lot to rally the way they did towards the end of the season and win a playoff game.  The future for this team is extremely bright and despite how some are acting they took a step forward this year.  I said before the season started I wanted to see three things.

1.  Beat a playoff level team on the road - Did it twice by beating the 49ers and Chiefs on the road both in impressive fashion so Check.

2.  Win the Division - Check

3.  Win a playoff game - Check.

Next step is being able to win on the road in the playoffs or being in position so you don't have too so my goals for next year would be win the division, get a first round bye and win or win a playoff game on the road.