Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phillip Wheeler

Korey

Someone needs to tell bigblueshoe that 72" is 6' not 6'2".

I thought Wheeler was played solid last year. Nothing great but he was typically where he was supposed to be. His biggest problem was he doesn't have much pop or explosion when tackling, he just kind of wraps up and drags down. That, IMO, was the reason they moved Angerer into that position. He made some read and react mistakes but when he got to the ball carrier it was usually with some pop behind it.

I detest wheeler. I have given him the nickname "The Roving Poop Stain". I dunno how many whiffed tackles, mis-reads, and other mistakes I have seen the guy make.... Almost every time he's on the field I find my eyes drawn to him because he's doing something he shouldn't be...

I hope the younger LBs can step up, or we're gonna have some troubles.

I think Conner and Angerer will be fine. I think Angerer is going to be going to some Pro-bowls in a couple of years if he stays healthy.

Conner seemed to be the Colts best run stopper at LB last year but he's not great in coverage and that is not good because as the WILL he is responsible for a fairly large zone and he just didn't appear to have the lateral agility to react quickly enough in the zone once the ball was in the air. So it will be interesting to see if he's improved on that this year.

I would also like to see them try Wheeler at WILL. As I mentioned above, he really doesn't seem strong enough to play the SAM effectively and he could be blocked by a TE. Moving him to WILL would focus more on his athleticism and less on his strength letting him flow and fill more than engage and maintain.