Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Four Players the Colts should target in the offseason.

Dark_Indy

I've been perusing the lists of Free Agents, and there are quite a few names on there I wouldn't mind seeing on the back of a Colts jersey. There are a few positions we don't need to target, such as TE, and RB so I won't include them here. I also won't get into the Offensive Line discussion, because it has been made a million times.

My personal top 2 FA's that I would like to see in Colts Blue?

1. Brandon Spikes- ILB Patriots- He's a run stuffer, and could play a tandem with Jerrell Freeman. Our Linebacker corps immediately gets better, and we easily improve our run game with him in the lineup. Also, chances are we lose Angerer in the offseason, so we need a replacement ILB.

2. Riley Cooper- WR Eagles- It may be that I live in Central Florida, but I've been watching Riley Cooper for a long time. He really has a physical side to him, feels like an Eric Decker-lite. His price tag would be considerably less than Decker's as well. 

The other two guys.

Aqib Talib- CB Patriots- Colts fans would get a feast or famine result from having Vontae Davis on one side and Aqib Talib on the other side of the field. Solid press corners don't just pop up everywhere, so it may be worth looking at Talib. Granted, he will have to be paid after his one-year deal in NE.

Dexter McCluster-WR/KR Chiefs- a dual threat player that will probably sign an extension with KC. However, he's a solid return man, and could pair well with Chris Rainey on Kickoffs. Anything that weakens the other powerhouses and strengthens a Colts roster is ok by me. 

Perhaps it's just sentiment talking.

Tim Jennings- CB- Bears As much as I would like a reunion with Jennings, He'd be a bit more expensive than Greg Toler, but he's matured into a much more solid corner than his last stint with the Colts. Why it won't happen? He's not a Man Press Corner, and fits more into Zone Schemes that we don't seem to rely on. 

We need to sign Alex Mack from Cleveland. The only realistic prospect of the four that I like is McCluster, could potentially replace Donnie Brown.

O-Line is not a discussion, we all know who everyone wants (Mack, Asamoah, De-La Puente  etc.)

This is more of a discussion of some FA players that could strengthen our other weaknesses (WR, LB, CB, Return game)

Don't know why anybody wouldn't want Spikes. Guy is a beast.

This is true. 

Why would you guys be averse to these four in Colts Blue? Sure they aren't superstars, they're all tough, above average talent that would increase the overall talent on the Colts roster versus the incumbent player.

Cooper over Whalen/Branch/whoever else we plug into that slot

Spikes over Sheppard/Connor/Angerer

Talib over Toler/Vaughn/Gordy

McCluster over Brown/Vaughn (Offense and ST)

This is true. 

Why would you guys be averse to these four in Colts Blue? Sure they aren't superstars, they're all tough, above average talent that would increase the overall talent on the Colts roster versus the incumbent player.

cooper can take his racist comments elsewhere.  no need for that in the locker room

spikes is fine

talib has too many off field issues for me.  no thanks.

mccluster would be ok.  not going to do cartwheels if he is a colt

cooper can take his racist comments elsewhere.  no need for that in the locker room

spikes is fine

talib has too many off field issues for me.  no thanks.

mccluster would be ok.  not going to do cartwheels if he is a colt

Cooper made one racist comment, that was unlucky enough to get caught on a cellphone. He apologized profusely for it, and nothing has been said about it since.

Talib has kept his off the field issues to a minimum with the Pats. What about our own punter's off the field issues? Going for nude swims in Broad Ripple, and posting nude pics of our QB on Twitter. I think you're wearing rose (or Blue) colored glasses.

Cooper made one racist comment, that was unlucky enough to get caught on a cellphone. He apologized profusely for it, and nothing has been said about it since.

Talib has kept his off the field issues to a minimum with the Pats. What about our own punter's off the field issues? Going for nude swims in Broad Ripple, and posting nude pics of our QB on Twitter. I think you're wearing rose (or Blue) colored glasses.

A Guy getting drunk and jumping in some water is nowhere near the level of attempting to shoot a guy and assaulting multiple people.

This is true. 

Yeas, all of them would be upgrades. But I really don't think we have the cap space to go after more than one big name. I'm thinking how that plays for the following year.

So, if we go after one then what is our biggest position of need? I think we can all agree that it's Center.

Not to mention Cooper said it in the heat of what looked to be a heated argument, Its not good to say that in the heat of the moment or calmly But everyone says things in the heat of the moment they dont mean, It would have been a different story if he said it calmly

I don't think he would either. Colts will probably pick up a cheap QB or if no other team go for Michael Vick..I see him getting sign by us

"Players can be eligible for a third practice squad season if their team maintains no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times."

I think this means he can, but why would we keep him there? By now he's either backup material or he's not.

He also said, on twitter, that he was late because of the snow. Apparently, it was the last straw, no matter what he wants to admit.

Yeah but there are a bunch of people all over the internet/twitter/boston media saying it's nonsense as well. 

Step one will be deciding who we keep of our own:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/indianapolis-colts/

That's a list of our will be free agents of those I think we will have to make real decisions on Davis, Bethea, Adam, McAfee, and Brown.  Other than Brown and probably Bethea you could argue for the tag to be used on any of the other three, it's not that expensive for kickers compared to other players on the roster and I don't know if Davis is worth the tag but I also don't think the Colts want to let him see the open market either.  I think Davis is going to get paid by the Colts and I think it's one of those deals you do it hoping you get more good Vonte than bad Vonte but it could come back to bight you in a couple of years.  The others will probably come down to what other teams offer them.  If someone offers them big bucks they will probably be gone but if the Colts can keep them for reasonable deals they will. 

There will be other guys like Mathews, Moala, Link, etc that they might also keep but wont be big bucks players that could be replaced if another team offers them money as well. 

Once you figure out those then I think you look at free agency and if last year showed us anything Grigson isn't going to target big name free agents that cost a lot of money.  He's going to get a guy who might not be a big star but is still in the ball park with the stars but are cheaper, think GC last year while he was still big money but he wasn't as big money as the big name lineman last year that people had us going after. 

I also think what they plan to do with the draft will have an impact on how they handle things as well. 

My top four(it wont happen) would be 1 Alex Mack, 2 Brent Grimes(maybe Talib instead), 3 Jeremly Maclin(I would take a couple dif WR here if it came down to it), and for 4 I would probably take one of the big safeties that are going to be FA, Byrd or Ward.

I've been perusing the lists of Free Agents, and there are quite a few names on there I wouldn't mind seeing on the back of a Colts jersey. There are a few positions we don't need to target, such as TE, and RB so I won't include them here. I also won't get into the Offensive Line discussion, because it has been made a million times.

1. Brandon Spikes- ILB Patriots- He's a run stuffer, and could play a tandem with Jerrell Freeman. Our Linebacker corps immediately gets better, and we easily improve our run game with him in the lineup. Also, chances are we lose Angerer in the offseason, so we need a replacement ILB.

2. Riley Cooper- WR Eagles- It may be that I live in Central Florida, but I've been watching Riley Cooper for a long time. He really has a physical side to him, feels like an Eric Decker-lite. His price tag would be considerably less than Decker's as well. 

The other two guys.

Aqib Talib- CB Patriots- Colts fans would get a feast or famine result from having Vontae Davis on one side and Aqib Talib on the other side of the field. Solid press corners don't just pop up everywhere, so it may be worth looking at Talib. Granted, he will have to be paid after his one-year deal in NE.

Dexter McCluster-WR/KR Chiefs- a dual threat player that will probably sign an extension with KC. However, he's a solid return man, and could pair well with Chris Rainey on Kickoffs. Anything that weakens the other powerhouses and strengthens a Colts roster is ok by me. 

Tim Jennings- CB- Bears As much as I would like a reunion with Jennings, He'd be a bit more expensive than Greg Toler, but he's matured into a much more solid corner than his last stint with the Colts. Why it won't happen? He's not a Man Press Corner, and fits more into Zone Schemes that we don't seem to rely on. 

rather get maclin

I want them to target Alex Mack & Doug Baldwin. Baldwin wouldn't be that expensive and adds to the Stanford connection. He's 25, so I'd be very confident with our young receivers going forward, especially if Rogers ends up reaching his potential as a #1 WR.

I honestly don't think the Colts are going to target a WR this off-season with Reggie coming back and TY coming on plus maybe seeing what Rogers, Brazil, and Whalen can develop into I could easily see the Colts waiting to get a replacement for Reggie till the draft next year. 

I think coverage is more of an issue for our current ILB's moreso than run stuffing.

^This^  Spikes is not that great in coverage ... we need an ILB who is good in coverage to compliment Freeman; not another Freeman.  We need someone who can cover TE's,drop into coverage,  and help with those crossing routes.

The other two guys.

good research. if grigs thinks he can get any improvments , he will

I wonder who would be the backup QB next season since Hassleback stated he would retire....I doubt we would draft a qb

i was thinking the same exact thing. dont want another 2 and 14 season if luck goes down. i dont know who is in fa next year but i wouldn't mind seeing a solid qb as our backup

who lost his starting position because the team around him sucked. it seemed there were quite a few of those this year 2or 3 years in and there coaching staff gives up on them.

^This^  Spikes is not that great in coverage ... we need an ILB who is good in coverage to compliment Freeman; not another Freeman.  We need someone who can cover TE's,drop into coverage,  and help with those crossing routes.

Who would that lb be? Who is your choice?