Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts would have kept Peyton Manning and drafted Andrew Luck if former GM Bill Polian got his way

Thewholefnshow28

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

Luck was the right move and he's a fantastic QB but his next contract very well might not be in Indy.

31 Teams in the NFL are hoping thats true.  But sorry, it's not.  To even suggest it is a little revealing about your credentials in this forum.

Here's a question I already regret asking even thought I don't much care about his answer......

But.....

Is TAPLOOK a Colts fan?   Or a fan of another team and he's just here trolling?

His Avatar is a Colts horseshoe,  so he looks like a Colts fan......

But his posts read like an annoying fan of another team.......     it's the weirdest, strangest string of non-sensical posts I've seen from anyone here since our old friend JShipp used to sail in these waters......

Anyway......   I'm just asking.....    is he friend, or foe?     Either way, he sure is strange....

Here's a question I already regret asking even thought I don't much care about his answer......

But.....

Is TAPLOOK a Colts fan? Or a fan of another team and he's just here trolling?

His Avatar is a Colts horseshoe, so he looks like a Colts fan......

But his posts read like an annoying fan of another team....... it's the weirdest, strangest string of non-sensical posts I've seen from anyone here since our old friend JShipp used to sail in these waters......

Anyway...... I'm just asking..... is he friend, or foe? Either way, he sure is strange....

No he's not a Colts fan lol. I believe his avatar is just the default one, but I could be mistaken because on the mobile site he simply has no avatar.

I believe he's a Pats fan if I'm not mistaken.

But.....

Is TAPLOOK a Colts fan?   Or a fan of another team and he's just here trolling?

His Avatar is a Colts horseshoe,  so he looks like a Colts fan......

But his posts read like an annoying fan of another team.......     it's the weirdest, strangest string of non-sensical posts I've seen from anyone here since our old friend JShipp used to sail in these waters......

Anyway......   I'm just asking.....    is he friend, or foe?     Either way, he sure is strange....

Pats fan/Troll

He left because he couldn't prove he was fit enough to play, and earn a huge payday, particularly after earning over 20 mil doing sweet f a.

At least do a balanced critique.

Peyton didn't not pick up his option. The Colts did.

He didn't choose another team over us, only that his run was done here.

He left because he couldn't prove he was fit enough to play, and earn a huge payday, particularly after earning over 20 mil doing sweet f a.

At least do a balanced critique.

Irsay made his mind up before the season ended. He admitted that himself.

And even after Peyton was told he wasn't going to be the Colts QB he still tried to convince Irsay otherwise.

So Peyton not being on the Colts has nothing to do with him, or his health. Irsay wanted Luck the minute he had the 1st round pick. It is what it is.

And even after Peyton was told he wasn't going to be the Colts QB he still tried to convince Irsay otherwise.

So Peyton not being on the Colts has nothing to do with him, or his health. Irsay wanted Luck the minute he had the 1st round pick. It is what it is.

But had PM not been injured, he would still be here. It's what it is, I agree. No hassle...

Awesome.

Is that Bill as Hitler? Oh boy. That may get you more warning points... ;)

it‘s not cool to keep doing that to him. This is our forum and fanbase. You‘re a guest here. We’ve had rival posters, with manning‘s head stuck on a horse, and yet we didn‘t complain.

Keeping Peyton and having Luck ride the pine for a year or two would have been an exercise in stupidity.  

Luck didn't and doesn't need to ride the pine for anyone at any time. Just entirely too much talent to leave

on the bench holding a clip board taking notes.  He was even more ready to play than Aaron Rodgers.

I disagree. This is a very circular issue. If Manning had been healthy, Irsay would have kept him (evidenced by him paying Manning $28m in 2011). However, if Manning had been healthy, we never would have had the #1 pick. It's a package deal. Can't separate having the #1 pick from Manning's health.

What it came down to is that Manning wasn't healthy, and we had the chance to draft Luck. To say it had nothing to do with his health is simply not true.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I disagree. This is a very circular issue. If Manning had been healthy, Irsay would have kept him (evidenced by him paying Manning $28m in 2011). However, if Manning had been healthy, we never would have had the #1 pick. It's a package deal. Can't separate having the #1 pick from Manning's health.

What it came down to is that Manning wasn't healthy, and we had the chance to draft Luck. To say it had nothing to do with his health is simply not true.

Another thing to remember, our roster was on the tipping point of becoming awful.  We were in need of a rebuild with or without Manning.  If Manning's salary was still on our books, and we used the first pick on Luck, then reloading our roster would have been near impossible.  Most of that blame is on Polian.  Not Irsay, and not Peyton.  If we want to point the finger at one person in this whole debate, then point it at Bill.

It really is that simple. Thanks Soops.

it‘s not cool to keep doing that to him. This is our forum and fanbase. You‘re a guest here. We’ve had rival posters, with manning‘s head stuck on a horse, and yet we didn‘t complain.

I am not complaining. I was joking. I always comment on his avatar's because he changes them week to week depending on who the Colts were playing. I look forward to his avatar every week actually but I was disappointed with his Pats ones as I was expecting something more juicy but apparently he was getting flak from the mods. Hence my comment about warning points in jest.

There is third variable here which was your 2-14 record. Had the Colts won 6-7 games as most thought they would that year then Luck is off the table and I think Irsay keeps Manning. What do you think?

I am not complaining. I was joking. I always comment on his avatar's because he changes them week to week depending on who the Colts were playing. I look forward to his avatar every week actually but I was disappointed with his Pats ones as I was expecting something more juicy but apparently he was getting flak from the mods. Hence my comment about warning points in jest.

somebody keeps reporting him.....

There is third variable here which was your 2-14 record. Had the Colts won 6-7 games as most thought they would that year then Luck is off the table and I think Irsay keeps Manning. What do you think?

Probably so. Irsay suggested that if we didn't have a top two pick, he might have done that (whether that's true or not, I can't say). But that's a big difference. It would suggest that the team didn't crumble to nothing in Manning's absence, that there was some competent coaching going on, some of the players were stepping up and making a case for themselves, etc. As we all know, that didn't happen.

But if it had, it's possible we'd have kept Manning and maybe drafted a quarterback later on, and benched that guy for a while. Would have been less of a strain on the cap, and less of a strained situation than benching "the most pro-ready QB prospect since John Elway."

Probably so. Irsay suggested that if we didn't have a top two pick, he might have done that (whether that's true or not, I can't say). But that's a big difference. It would suggest that the team didn't crumble to nothing in Manning's absence, that there was some competent coaching going on, some of the players were stepping up and making a case for themselves, etc. As we all know, that didn't happen.

But if it had, it's possible we'd have kept Manning and maybe drafted a quarterback later on, and benched that guy for a while. Would have been less of a strain on the cap, and less of a strained situation than benching "the most pro-ready QB prospect since John Elway."

Clearly though the biggest issue for that 2011 team was at QB not the team or the coaching. Even a competent QB gives you 6-7 wins. And of course Luck in his rookie year got 11 wins.

I remember reading something a while back that said Polian was planning on drafting either Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick, but they were taken before we had a chance. Don't know how true it is tho.

Manning told Irsay himself that he was crazy if he passed on Luck. Luck has vastly exceeded expectations for this point in his career. Also Manning was scheduled to make 27 million, so roughly 1/4 of the salary cap on 1 player who was just coming off a serious neck injury and surgery. This situation worked out greatly for both sides

I remember reading something a while back that said Polian was planning on drafting either Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick, but they were taken before we had a chance. Don't know how true it is tho.

I believe we worked Kaepernick out before the draft. Not a far-fetched notion.

Clearly though the biggest issue for that 2011 team was at QB not the team or the coaching. Even a competent QB gives you 6-7 wins. And of course Luck in his rookie year got 11 wins.

We've had that conversation many times. The coaching was awful. And we were relying on aging vets and miscast fill-ins in several positions. The team that Luck won 11 games with was drastically different, and had almost an entirely new coaching staff.

A better QB, maybe Hasselbeck, could have helped us win a few more games. But the team had already see demonstrated some serious deficiencies the year before.

So, biggest issue, yes, QB. Far from the only issue though.

We've had that conversation many times. The coaching was awful. And we were relying on aging vets and miscast fill-ins in several positions. The team that Luck won 11 games with was drastically different, and had almost an entirely new coaching staff.

A better QB, maybe Hasselbeck, could have helped us win a few more games. But the team had already see demonstrated some serious deficiencies the year before.

So, biggest issue, yes, QB. Far from the only issue though.

If Manning stays do you think the team is still blown up? Does Polian still get fired too?

Manning told Irsay himself that he was crazy if he passed on Luck. Luck has vastly exceeded expectations for this point in his career. Also Manning was scheduled to make 27 million, so roughly 1/4 of the salary cap on 1 player who was just coming off a serious neck injury and surgery. This situation worked out greatly for both sides

I recall correctly there was a story where Manning said he never told Irsay that.  My guess is that Irsay took something Manning said and took it as him saying that.  With that said like I said before it's extremely hard to argue the Colts did the wrong thing and based on this year Manning seems to be doing just fine so I would agree with on the larger point that it worked out well for both sides.  Honestly the ones who are struggling in this were the Titans who didn't get Manning and the Redskins who missed out on Luck in the draft.  They were the "losers" out of the whole deal. 

I recall correctly there was a story where Manning said he never told Irsay that.  My guess is that Irsay took something Manning said and took it as him saying that.  With that said like I said before it's extremely hard to argue the Colts did the wrong thing and based on this year Manning seems to be doing just fine so I would agree with on the larger point that it worked out well for both sides.  Honestly the ones who are struggling in this were the Titans who didn't get Manning and the Redskins who missed out on Luck in the draft.  They were the "losers" out of the whole deal. 

My recollection is    After the Fact,   After Peyton was released,  After he knew he would no longer be in Indy,  a conversation took place and Mr. Irsay asked Peyton's opinion, and at that point in time Peyton said something to the effect  that Luck should be the one to Draft.