Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts would have kept Peyton Manning and drafted Andrew Luck if former GM Bill Polian got his way

Thewholefnshow28

In the period before Bill Polian was fired as Colts vice chairman after they went 2-14 without Peyton Manning in 2011, he went to team owner Jimmy Irsay with a quarterback plan.

He suggested to Irsay that even though Manning was coming off serious neck surgery and missed the 2011 season that he pick up his $28 million option bonus and then with the first pick in the draft select Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck.

LINK

There is just so much wrong with this idea.

If we kept Manning and received Luck it would have been a huge drain on our cap. You were looking at almost 21 million dollars and 17% of your cap invested into one position. We would have still had to gut the team like Grigs did and who knows if we could have afforded to bring Wayne back.

Even if you do not look at the money issue you have to think of the development of Luck. Do we really see Peyton as being this great mentor? No, the guy is an insane competitor who just wants to win. Is he really going to want to share snaps with Luck? Take time to work with him in the video? Nope, that would take time away from him getting ready for the next game.

How long would have Luck set? If Peyton played at the level he has these past two years in Indy you are looking at almost three years riding the pine? Are you really going to sit the number one overall pick for over three seasons? How do you tell the fans you are cutting Peyton after two season and coming off a great season to give it to an unproven rookie?

I was fine with going all in with Manning and trade the pick. I was fine with going all in with Luck. Keeping both would have been a disaster.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is just so much wrong with this idea.

If we kept Manning and received Luck it would have been a huge drain on our cap. You were looking at almost 21 million dollars and 17% of your cap invested into one position. We would have still had to gut the team like Grigs did and who knows if we could have afforded to bring Wayne back.

Even if you do not look at the money issue you have to think of the development of Luck. Do we really see Peyton as being this great mentor? No, the guy is an insane competitor who just wants to win. Is he really going to want to share snaps with Luck? Take time to work with him in the video? Nope, that would take time away from him getting ready for the next game.

How long would have Luck set? If Peyton played at the level he has these past two years in Indy you are looking at almost three years riding the pine? Are you really going to sit the number one overall pick for over three seasons? How do you tell the fans you are cutting Peyton after two season and coming off a great season to give it to an unproven rookie?

I was fine with going all in with Manning and trade the pick. I was fine with going all in with Luck. Keeping both would have been a disaster.

ehh he might have helped him in the film room.  But Luck's a smart guy anyways and there is only so much you can learn holding a clipboard.  

The bigger problem of course is convincing Peyton to retire while we still have Luck on contract.  

ehh he might have helped him in the film room.  But Luck's a smart guy anyways and there is only so much you can learn holding a clipboard.  

The bigger problem of course is convincing Peyton to retire while we still have Luck on contract.  

I really doubt it.  The guy is a machine when it comes to preparing.  Reading some of the stories from the Super Bowl and what he demanded from the team in preparation gives me no indication that he would have wanted to spend time with a rookie working with him even in the film room.

I would say that is the biggest problem Polian would have faced.  Lets say Peyton has a typical Manning year instead of a record breaking year here.  Why would Manning retire?  If he does not retire you are going to have to cut him.  How do you convince a fanbase that is a great idea coming off another great year that a unproven guy is the answer.  That is ignoring the fact that we get into the playoffs the last two years.  If we do how do you say hey we know we are a playoff team but we are moving on to an unproven guy.

It is things like this that makes me glad we parted ways with Polian.  It was just time for both of us to move on.

There was only one option...manning or luck. I‘m glad we took luck, even though i cried like a baby when manning was released. I‘m looking forward to having luck for another 15 yrs and watching him chase down the g.o.a.t. title and being able to share this fan experience with my son. I honestly see 5 super bowl births in his career...how many we win,...well...that‘s not for me to say. Things are only going to get better with luck and our indy colts.

There was only one option...manning or luck. I‘m glad we took luck, even though i cried like a baby when manning was released. I‘m looking forward to having luck for another 15 yrs and watching him chase down the g.o.a.t. title and being able to share this fan experience with my son. I honestly see 5 super bowl births in his career...how many we win,...well...that‘s not for me to say. Things are only going to get better with luck and our indy colts.

Luck was the right move and he's a fantastic QB but his next contract very well might not be in Indy.

The Colts made the right choice for the future of their franchise, no doubt about that.  Luck is a special talent.. hes got the intelligence and mechanics of an elite pure pocket passer, but also has the ability to scramble and make plays with his legs as well.  

I hope the Patriots get a chance to tank a season and get a talent like him ;)

The Colts made the right choice for the future of their franchise, no doubt about that.  Luck is a special talent.. hes got the intelligence and mechanics of an elite pure pocket passer, but also has the ability to scramble and make plays with his legs as well.  

are you afraid? Worried? Should be.

we‘ll sign him at all cost. I‘m sure. He‘s worth it.

are you afraid? Worried? Should be.

I'm not afraid but I am always nervous for playoff football.  I've watched enough of it and gone through the roller coaster of emotions enough times to know that anything can happen in the playoffs.  Its the NFL's best teams that are duking it out for the right to call themselves Champs.

The Colts make me nervous, especially since they seem to struggle against QBs that are mobile, but I still believe they will be able to handle the Colts in Gilette Stadium.  Unfortunately the weather is going to be in the mid 40's or so, I would have liked the temp to be what its been for the last month or so here in the 0-10 degree range with snow/freezing rain... but oh well, it will be a good game regardless!

I hope there is some wind, because Adam V doesn't quite have the same leg strength he once did and I think that is an advantage the Patriots could gain with Ghostkowski.

I think this has been discussed ad nauseam. Financially it made no sense for the Colts to keep both Manning and Luck even though they could have. When you have the first pick in the draft with the type of clout Luck had coming out of college, you don't sit him. He wasn't Aaron Rodgers who needed time to develop behind Favre in terms of his mechanics and so forth. Luck was ready from day one and that has been proved with these last two seasons he has played getting the Colts to the playoffs twice.

Things worked out the best for everyone involved.

I'd have kept them both and I'd have been wrong..

...because Manning is going to play until 2017..and Luck couldnt (and, unlike RG3)  didn't need to) sit on the bench for a couple of years.....

I am very much enjoying the parallel success of Denver and Indianapolis (which was sparked on both ends by the Colts releasing Peyton) and I think every Colts fan can..

(Until maybe Jan. 19th) :oops:

The most advantage Colts get from Luck is he is performing as one of the top5 QBs but with 1/3 of Manning's salary cap hit. This means Colts could build a great team before re-signing Luck if they do well in FA and drafts.

Keeping both is the worst strategy since it will lower the quality of the team and keep both of them from winning meaningful games.

I really doubt it.  The guy is a machine when it comes to preparing.  Reading some of the stories from the Super Bowl and what he demanded from the team in preparation gives me no indication that he would have wanted to spend time with a rookie working with him even in the film room.

I would say that is the biggest problem Polian would have faced.  Lets say Peyton has a typical Manning year instead of a record breaking year here.  Why would Manning retire?  If he does not retire you are going to have to cut him.  How do you convince a fanbase that is a great idea coming off another great year that a unproven guy is the answer.  That is ignoring the fact that we get into the playoffs the last two years.  If we do how do you say hey we know we are a playoff team but we are moving on to an unproven guy.

It is things like this that makes me glad we parted ways with Polian.  It was just time for both of us to move on.

Luck would have been the backup QB. Manning has always worked closely with his backups, particularly when it comes to film prep. 

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. As much as I wanted us to find a way to do this at the time, it was only out of a sense of loyalty toward Manning. Luck was a can't-miss prospect, a guy that you simply don't pass up on when you have the chance to draft him. With the uncertainty surrounding Manning at the time, looking toward the future made sense. Trading out of the #1 was too risky, since no one -- not even Manning -- knew if he'd ever play at a high level again. If someone could have guaranteed that Manning would play at a high level when he came back, maybe you hunker down and make another run with him, but too much was unknown. Benching Luck would have been a waste; I have no doubt that Luck would have benefited from being around Manning, but he's shown an ability to learn on the fly. If we wound up with the third pick, we probably would have kept Manning. I'm just glad we didn't get #2 and then cut Manning and draft Griffin.

It's only after those issues that you start worrying about the cap. And the structure of the Manning contract, specifically the date of the bonus, made it impossible to restructure. So there would have been a heavy cap strain to keep both of them. Would have probably cost us two of three of Mathis, Wayne and Freeney (I think we should have cut Freeney anyways), or maybe we wouldn't have been able to sign Redding or Satele. The 2013 offseason would have been entirely different, not in a good way.

Long story short, it would not have been ideal to keep Manning and draft Luck. Best of both worlds, sure, but the team would have suffered dramatically in other areas, making it nearly impossible to contend. And Luck's development would have been delayed; the positives gained from being around Manning don't outweigh the positives from being on the field.

When you set aside, sentimentality, the right decision was made. It sucks, because Manning should have been able to finish his career as a Colt. But between the structure of his contract, us having the #1 pick, and the uncertainty of Manning's recovery, there's really no way to defend a different course of action.

So nothing?

That's 26 something's. I like Indy and know people that absolutely love it but I also know people couldn't wait to leave. Which is Andrew? Plus the money thing? I think the chances are better for him staying than leaving but I would bet on it.

That's 26 something's. I like Indy and know people that absolutely love it but I also know people couldn't wait to leave. Which is Andrew? Plus the money thing? I think the chances are better for him staying than leaving but I would bet on it.

Get real. Irsay paid Manning handsomely, twice, on veteran contracts. The last contract was $26m to stand on the sidelines for a year while the team crumbled around him, when he could have -- and in retrospect, should have -- left him on the franchise tag and seen what happened.

If Luck continues playing well and is developing into what everything thinks he will be, there's simply no way he's getting out of Indy. Not alive, anyway. When the Bears, Ravens and Chiefs are scrambling to pay guys like Cutler, Flacco and Smith, no team in the league is going to let a 27 year old stud like Luck walk. Just stop it.

"I'm so edgy"

- TAPLOOK

Well he didn't and as much as some won't like this if Andrew wins in New England in the playoffs (something Peyton has never done) in his first attempt a lot of Colts fans are going to go Peyton who? I am not saying I will be one of them as I still love what Manning did for our team but it's hard to argue the Colts did the wrong thing here.