Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Landry misses practice...concussion

BronxColtNYC

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 8, 2014 - off topic
Hidden by Nadine, January 8, 2014 - off topic

branch was a worthless signing

i have laughed at many of your posts.  and none of them were meant to be funny

the difference is that i am usually correct and you...not so much.

This is a excerpt from the NFL's policy concerning concussion protocols . 

"The thing that I think is important here is you don't manage concussions by a calendar," Dr. Herring said. "Some guys may come back in a week. Some guys may come back in six weeks. These steps don't have an expiration date on them. The player's history of injury and other issues come into play."

Once a team doctor signs off on a player's return, the player is evaluated in person by an unaffiliated concussion expert physician approved by both the NFL and NFL Players Association. This unaffiliated expert also must sign off on the player's health before he is allowed to return to play.

"The thinking is that we have done our best work, but an automatic second opinion is built in," Herring said. "We've never had a disagreement, but I would welcome it if we did because we could learn from it. This is a trust issue. We need assurances there is no rush to return to play for any reason."

IMO while its possible Landry might return sat I believe doctors & the team will sit him .

A 2010 study of high school athletes with concussions [3] reported that:

• 27.0% had symptoms clear in less than 24 hours
  • 36.2% between 1 and 3 days,
  • 20.2% between 4 and 6 days,
  • 15.1% had symptoms lasting more than a week but less than a month; and
  • Only (1.5%) were still experiencing symptoms more than a month after injury. 
Experts nevertheless caution that, while an estimated 80 to 90% of concussions heal spontaneously in the first 7 to 10 days, children and adolescents may require a longer rest period and/or extended period of non-contact exercise than adults because their developing brains cause them to experience a different physiological response to concussion than adults and take longer to recover, and they have other specific risk factors, such as the risk of second impact syndrome.

Thanks for that? I still think he plays.

This is a excerpt from the NFL's policy concerning concussion protocols . 

"The thing that I think is important here is you don't manage concussions by a calendar," Dr. Herring said. "Some guys may come back in a week. Some guys may come back in six weeks. These steps don't have an expiration date on them. The player's history of injury and other issues come into play."

Once a team doctor signs off on a player's return, the player is evaluated in person by an unaffiliated concussion expert physician approved by both the NFL and NFL Players Association. This unaffiliated expert also must sign off on the player's health before he is allowed to return to play.

"The thinking is that we have done our best work, but an automatic second opinion is built in," Herring said. "We've never had a disagreement, but I would welcome it if we did because we could learn from it. This is a trust issue. We need assurances there is no rush to return to play for any reason."

IMO while its possible Landry might return sat I believe doctors & the team will sit him .

A 2010 study of high school athletes with concussions [3] reported that:

• 27.0% had symptoms clear in less than 24 hours
  • 36.2% between 1 and 3 days,
  • 20.2% between 4 and 6 days,
  • 15.1% had symptoms lasting more than a week but less than a month; and
  • Only (1.5%) were still experiencing symptoms more than a month after injury. 

Experts nevertheless caution that, while an estimated 80 to 90% of concussions heal spontaneously in the first 7 to 10 days, children and adolescents may require a longer rest period and/or extended period of non-contact exercise than adults because their developing brains cause them to experience a different physiological response to concussion than adults and take longer to recover, and they have other specific risk factors, such as the risk of second impact syndrome.

Well, cleared to practice today. Guess he was part of the 63% with no symptoms after less than a day to 3 days.