Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Article On Coyer Defense

SoCalColts

Hahahaa. Yeah good thing Polian doesn't listen to the talking heads. Good thing he also doesn't listen to the knowledgable fans on this forum too. If he did, we'd probably be last in points allowed......oh wait. Apparently it's baffling that playing 15 yards off receivers in the red zone leads to touchdowns.

Hahahaa. Yeah good thing Polian doesn't listen to the talking heads. Good thing he also doesn't listen to the knowledgable fans on this forum too. If he did, we'd probably be last in points allowed......oh wait. Apparently it's baffling that playing 15 yards off receivers in the red zone leads to touchdowns.

Our present DB's could play man to man and they would still be beat..they are just not good.

Our present DB's could play man to man and they would still be beat..they are just not good.

You realize they only have to stay with their man for about three seconds and one of our DEs would be putting a hit on the QB right? I did an experiment with a friend who is quite a bit faster than me. I played CB and he played WR. Another friend was the quarterback. The rule was he had to throw it in no more than five seconds. I weigh about 210 lbs and my friend playing WR weighs 160. We are about the same height. I did not hold him or grab him and throw him to the ground. Each time I started out about 4 yards off of him and all I did was try to stay with him. He and the QB would talk before ever play and decide what kind of route he would run, and I obviously did not know. Mind you he is a lot faster than me, but out of the 20 times we did this experiment, he caught five of them, and two of those were real screens that maybe gained a yard.

I know this experiment may not be perfect, but I think it shows that a less athletic DB can still stay with his man for a few seconds and the time it takes for Dwight Freeney to put a hit on the QB.

I have not understood why we have not tried to play more aggressive with our corners. Yes, our guys are not the most physical corners, but it would prevent the short routes that have killed us all season long. This forces them to go with longer routes, which plays into the hands of our pass rush. Them being allowed to do short and quick routes makes Mathis and Freeney useless.

Obviously what we are doing now is not working so why not try something else?

The first play covered in the article was the play I went nuts on. I saw it just coming and even told my wife who was watching wi me that one of the Saints receivers would just run to the vacated area that our linebackers would leave when they dropped 5 yards back in the end zone. Truly aggravating to see something so simple beat the defense.

You realize they only have to stay with their man for about three seconds and one of our DEs would be putting a hit on the QB right? I did an experiment with a friend who is quite a bit faster than me. I played CB and he played WR. Another friend was the quarterback. The rule was he had to throw it in no more than five seconds. I weigh about 210 lbs and my friend playing WR weighs 160. We are about the same height. I did not hold him or grab him and throw him to the ground. Each time I started out about 4 yards off of him and all I did was try to stay with him. He and the QB would talk before ever play and decide what kind of route he would run, and I obviously did not know. Mind you he is a lot faster than me, but out of the 20 times we did this experiment, he caught five of them, and two of those were real screens that maybe gained a yard.

I know this experiment may not be perfect, but I think it shows that a less athletic DB can still stay with his man for a few seconds and the time it takes for Dwight Freeney to put a hit on the QB.

If that was true, all DB's would be good, there is much more to it then just that.