Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steveeoaktree33

DHB as a corner/safety? A crazy thought but...

I had just read a thread about DHB and his play/attitude since he lost his starting WR job. Was also reading a couple few threads on our corners and safety play recently. Ding! Pipe dream? Probably. Could DHB at 220 lbs. be a good corner or safety? Could revive his career. It has happened before in the NFL.

It's a total long shot and it's not something that will be relevant coming up. I suppose it's possible though.

He's fast but I don't think he has the lateral agility/fast twitch to excel at corner. Safety, it's a long shot but maybe. 

I wouldn't be against trying it, though. I'm one of the few that believes he should remain on the team. 

I had just read a thread about DHB and his play/attitude since he lost his starting WR job. Was also reading a couple few threads on our corners and safety play recently. Ding! Pipe dream? Probably. Could DHB at 220 lbs. be a good corner or safety? Could revive his career. It has happened before in the NFL.

You know that's already been brought up here, right?  I'm not sure what receivers have made that transition once they were in the NFL.  I know Troy Brown played some DB for the Pats.  Chris Gamble played both ways in college.

I really doubt he'd seriously consider it.  But he should think about switching to TE.  He's a good blocker and seems to handle the short throws pretty well.

DHB is fast in a straight line.  I think we can all agree on that.  

However, he lacks the compact movements to be a CB (and a good WR, along with his non-hands) .  His hips aren't fluid in movement, and his change in direction is pretty horrid, and he flails about too much.  Being a CB takes a tremendous amount of body control as you have to read and react to what the WR is doing, and try not to get a flag as you're covering the guy.  There's more to being a DB than just straight line speed.

You know that's already been brought up here, right?  I'm not sure what receivers have made that transition once they were in the NFL.  I know Troy Brown played some DB for the Pats.  Chris Gamble played both ways in college.

I really doubt he'd seriously consider it.  But he should think about switching to TE.  He's a good blocker and seems to handle the short throws pretty well.

Apologies to all, as I had not read that here. Of course, I have not been on the forum very long... 

He gets hurt too often for the hitting needed on defense.

When has it happened before?

Troy Brown played some CB for the Pats about 8-9 years ago. It was an emergency situation and he did pretty well as he finished with 3 ints. 

That's the only instance I can think of in the last 10 years os so in the NFL that would fit DHB playing DB for us. The OP says happens all the time but he's thinking of WR's making the transition in college. The odds of DHB being a viable NFL DB is about the same as me going out with Cindy Crawford

People get touchy about repeated topics, but it's not like our time is THAT valuable if we are cruising fan forums! It's okay - I prefer to encourage people - welcome aboard; what took so long?!!

Many wideouts coming to the NFL end up DB's for various reasons. Some don't have the prototypical height, etc...

no they don't. Some do get moved in college though

Apologies to all, as I had not read that here. Of course, I have not been on the forum very long... 

No apologies needed. God forbid you start a thread that's been visited before on here. Back to your thread. Isn`t that how most  CB`s come about, tried WR and couldn't catch so moved to CB?

Well it's happened a few times. The Patriots did it with Edelman and Slater. As mentioned in the thread, Sherman did it in college. 

Does he have the tools? It would take him at least a couple of years of development, and it would be a big commitment. It's not as easy as you think. 

I made the switch the other way in high school, and that wasn't easy. The NFL is a whole new level.

Do the Colts want to make a commitment for a few years to help develop a player who could become decent at best. Not worth it.

Well it's happened a few times. The Patriots did it with Edelman and Slater. As mentioned in the thread, Sherman did it in college.

Does he have the tools. It would take him at least a couple of years of development, and it would be a big commitment. It's not as easy as you think.

I made the switch the other way in high school, and that wasn't easy. The NFL is a whole new level.

Do the Colts want to make a commitment for a few years to help develop a player who could become decent at best. Not worth it.

of course they don't. The whole idea is foolish

Welcome. Believe me, there have been many, many subjects brought up over and over.

I don't think anyone could come up with an NFL receiver who's made the transition successfully. CB is one of the hardest positions to learn. Not in all cases, but they're usually better athletes than receivers.

Troy Brown played some CB for the Pats about 8-9 years ago. It was an emergency situation and he did pretty well as he finished with 3 ints. 

That's the only instance I can think of in the last 10 years os so in the NFL that would fit DHB playing DB for us. The OP says happens all the time but he's thinking of WR's making the transition in college. The odds of DHB being a viable NFL DB is about the same as me going out with Cindy Crawford

I was more referring to the transition between college and the NFL. I would bet that a good percentage of NFL DB's weren't DB's in college.

I was more referring to the transition between college and the NFL. I would bet that a good percentage of NFL DB's weren't DB's in college.

i take that bet all day long. Completely inaccurate statement

No.

Cant be done this late in his career

is 2% a "good percent"?  that would be my guess and i might be high

I doubt the move to safety.  Has anyone done that?  But I love his professionalism and the way he handled the demotion.  I loved the way he was pumping up Luck after that touchdown and how fired up he gets whenever he makes a contribution on ST, or the block on the quad set.

I don't think he would, but if he did and agreed to pay cut, I'd keep him around just for ST and his attitude (and emergency WR).  But I think he still thinks he can be a WR somewhere and will leave for more money (if it's out there).

If he is willing to accept a minimum 1 year deal, I would welcome him back as long as special teams were his primary responsibility. He has been very good on ST. He is also a very good run blocker for a receiver. 

I would take that bet. By a good % ... you mean what ?

he has no idea

Ehhh..... I should have left him alone... he's a good guy.