Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Mayock

basketballsteve

He seems to know his football.  As far as formations and assignments and X's and O's, he's really in the know. He said he was surprised by all the scoring, admitting that he would have never guessed that.  Compared our KC game to the RAMS game which I think was spot on, in other words, he was making a reference to similar defenses from RAMS and KC (lot of pro-bowlers on KC and a few on RAMS too).  I'm not defending him, I'm sure he said some things to offend Colts fans, but I didn't take anything he said as being a slam on us or anything.  I would have to think that he is probably not going to give us a very good chance, in his mind, to beat NE this coming Saturday, January 11th, 2014.

You are exactly right there chrisfarley. Mike Mayock has an intense bias & blind spot toward NE especially Bill Belichick that he cannot conceal, remove, or hide from public view, but if INDY does emerge victorious this weekend, Mike will give us credit for knocking out a premier powerhouse NFL franchise. That's how he rolls. Mike is fair & honest in his commentary. 

I am really looking forward to this dogfight. Go Blue!  :blueshoe:

Well, it looks like I'm in the minority here, but I like Mayock.  Yes he makes mistakes but at least he does diagnose the game and the previous play and is one of the few who actually point out things that may not have been very noticeable at full speed.  Unlike most color analysists who just give you a repeat play by play.

Honestly, Mike Mayock is one of my favorite color commentators.  I think that personnel-wise, he is extremely knowledgeable and I really like his straight shooter style of deliver.  A few brain farts here and there do not bother me at all.  For the Da'rick Rogers fans out there, did you catch his shout out high praise for him?  I did.

YES!!! This is an awesome thread for identifying so many of the clown posters at Colts.com forums.

Mayock has forgotten more football in one off-season than this entire board knows collectively.

So he said something incorrect.....welcome to the human race.

ANYONE having a problem with him, his insight and talent evaluation is clueless. And it is very helpful when those people gather together in one place and expose themselves.

Gonna burn that ignore button up over the next 10 minutes. :yahoo:

"Clown-Car Thread"

Well, it looks like I'm in the minority here, but I like Mayock.  Yes he makes mistakes but at least he does diagnose the game and the previous play and is one of the few who actually point out things that may not have been very noticeable at full speed.  Unlike most color analysists who just give you a repeat play by play.

I think most of us need to remember many of us thought the game was pretty much over  when we got down 31-10

We are picking on the guy because we were down 28 points in the third, and he said we can't come back? I'll be honest, at that point I didn't think we could either. Against that team, I don't think we are built to come from behind. They have a heck of a pass rushing duo, and if you have been on this forum more than 20 minutes, you know we have a much maligned o-line. We also were without Reggie, and they still had Flowers, an all-pro CB at that point.

In black and white without our blue and white glasses on, we shouldn't have won that game, especially being down 28 points. Team A doesnt have a great O-line, No number 2 recieving threat to take attention away from the Number 1 (who originally was number 3 on the depth chart). Team A is also playing with a banged up secondary and is getting demolished. The QB has thrown back to back ints. Team B has a good ground game even without their number 1 back. The QB is able to move around and make plays with his feet and arm. The defense is getting good pass rushes, even if they aren't getting sacks, they also have 4 takeaways.

Be honest, if you didn't see the game play out and are looking at that scenario in the 3rd quarter, who do you say would win?

Yeah Mike is better than alot of other announcers out there.  I also like the way he breaks down plays as well.

Bayless is a tool, at least Mayock has talent.  He may not be the best announcer but he's not that bad

I like him too.

He constantly praised Luck the whole game...even during his terrible 3 ints...despite that it doesn't make what he said untrue....we aren't a team built to come back from 28pts...almost NO team is...pretty much the list ends with NO and DEN. We did come back...and our QB played brilliant but Mayock complemented Luck a LOT. To say the Colts aren't typically an offensive juggernaut or team that plays well from behind isn't exactly blasphemous. Yes Luck has led many 4th quarter come backs...no doubt...but few from 4 tds down....some time you don't even get that many possessions in a half...so at the time it was perfectly appropriate...and as we made the comeback...Mayock noted more and more about Lucks ability to put the bad plays behind him and lead the charge. I wouldn't say Mayock was an * for saying that. Even NE isn't built to come back from 28 pts down...yet they did against Denver...so it doesn't mean it CAN'T happen...just that it is unlikely to happen...and lets be honest...that outcome SAT......EXTREMELY UNLIKELY given the circumstances. Put in that position again and again we probably only pull off that come back 1 time out 10...it happened...and it just shows how INCREDIBLE it was.

Mike Mayock is a darn good NFL talent scout & I enjoy listening to him during Notre Dame football games too. Mike is very smart with a high football IQ & I feel smarter listening to the guy. I've said it before & I will say it again: Mike Mayock is my NFL Rabbi man. He's also superb during the draft too. I love the guy! 

Gavin is also right on the money too when he said "I think most of us need to remember many of us thought the game was pretty much over  when we got down 31-10." I believe in the Blue Horseshoe sure, but in the back of my mind I was thinking the situation was looking pretty bleak at that juncture in the game. 

You can just tell that Mike knows football & he doesn't lord over his NFL knowledge & make the audience feel stupid like they are the presence of greatness. I define genius as "making the complicated simple & easy to follow by anyone & everyone" & Mike Mayock does exactly that. JMO. 

Honestly, Mike Mayock is one of my favorite color commentators.  I think that personnel-wise, he is extremely knowledgeable and I really like his straight shooter style of deliver.  A few brain farts here and there do not bother me at all.  For the Da'rick Rogers fans out there, did you catch his shout out high praise for him?  I did.

Great posts all.

Mike Mayock is an EXCELLENT analyst.  I think he does a great job of breaking things down and explaining it in simple English.  I did catch the comment on the Colts "not being built to comeback."  I was a little surprised by the comment but I think it was more of a throwaway line because of the overall lack of productivity from the WRs since Reggie Wayne's injury. 

Mike Mayock is an EXCELLENT analyst.  I think he does a great job of breaking things down and explaining it in simple English.  I did catch the comment on the Colts "not being built to comeback."  I was a little surprised by the comment but I think it was more of a throwaway line because of the overall lack of productivity from the WRs since Reggie Wayne's injury. 

:agree:

I'm wondering if the "not being built to come back" thing is a holdover from the Manning era.  I remember a number of analysts saying the Colts' defense was built to work with a lead and didn't work well when the team was behind.

At the 13:10 mark of the 3rd quarter just before the Chiefs score on the shuffle pass: "they ( the Colts ) are just not built to come from behind". Genius. How do I get a high paying job like this where you don't really need to be aware of past performance?

Exactly!  Luck has more come from behind 4th quarter wins in a two year period (11) than any QB in history.  How can we not be a come from behind team?

OTOH, he counters with decent info other typical color men do not possess. 

Mayock is awesome. Fans are just too sensitive if an analyst says even one thing that they perceive as insulting to their team. 

Exactly!  Luck has more come from behind 4th quarter wins in a two year period (11) than any QB in history.  How can we not be a come from behind team?

OTOH, he counters with decent info other typical color men do not possess. 

I agree with your OTOH. I didn't start this thread to say I dislike Mayock or to say I can't stand his analysis but I think Mike had already decided that the Colts would lose and his comment at that point was like the time Dandy Don sang "turn out the lights the party's over" and then on one particular game it was not and from that point on he got teased about it.  Mayock could have acknowledged at some point that the Colts were indeed making him and his statement wrong. Beyond that I think if you put up a twitter question or poll on NFL.com to football fans (not just Colt fans) and asked the question "Are the Colts and Andrew Luck a team that can come from behind to win?" I have no doubt that the answer would be in the affirmative (let see we got packer fans, lions fans, titan fans, texan fans).

To all I'm sorry I wasn't more clear that I'm not hating on Mike I'm simply astounded by the ignorance of his comment.

I kinda like Mayock, but I agree with whoever brought up his always brining up college ball.  

I watched the rebroadcast of the game last night and he was pretty low key, and mentioned more than once, that the Chiefs weren't out of the woods. Not sure why all the hate. 

I was just taking issue with the one thing he said.  And even if we aren't "built" to come back, it's a silly thing in light of the fact that we have done so many many times.  At worst, he's flat out wrong and at best, he's not accurate.

Sorry bub, but MOST of those comebacks were against Bad Teams with Reggie.

TY has made a lot of plays this season but has been inconsistent game to game in production.

It would be hard to EXPECT TY to be able to play like an Unstoppable WR for the rest of that game.

TY was Flatout Brilliant in his route running with Andrew ACTUALLY throwing on the $$$, all but once.

lol against NE Andrew.

As i love the draft Mayock is a fun part of the coverage.

He has decent enough analysis much of the time, but he also has many BRAINFARTS in a game and i wouldn`t have him doing ANY NFL games. There have to be better people available.

Sorry bub, but MOST of those comebacks were against Bad Teams with Reggie.

TY has made a lot of plays this season but has been inconsistent game to game in production.

It would be hard to EXPECT TY to be able to play like an Unstoppable WR for the rest of that game.

TY was Flatout Brilliant in his route running with Andrew ACTUALLY throwing on the $$$, all but once.

lol against NE Andrew.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.  His comeback numbers are what they are, which currently makes him the best in the first 2 years.

I blame Lamey for making Colts fans think that announcers should be unabashed Colts homers. No team is built to come from 28 points behind. That's never the gameplan when assembling a team.

I think Mayock is incredibly knowledgeable on the X's and O's of what's happening on the field, and the strengths and weaknesses of each player. He's an excellent color man, in my opinion, because he's able to expand on what the play-by-play man just called. Is he 100% right? Nope. Is anybody? Nope.

Madden was good because he could tell you what was happening in the huddle, what the strategy might be, what the players were thinking, etc. Mayock is good because he can instantly break down the play on the field and explain WHY we just saw what we saw. And he can explain how the players fit into the team game.

My biggest problem with him is his lisp. And to the person trashing him because he only played in 9 games, I say so what? That's far more than any of us ever played. He was good enough to make it to the pro level and actually see the field. That's an elite fraternity and that accomplishment shouldn't be diminished.

Clearly you & I are not watching the same NFL analyst indyagent17. If any analyst is overrated to me it's Mel Kiper. I detest that windbag who reminds me of a guy that just never shuts up & loves the sound of his own voice I think. To each their own, I guess. Again, a personal preference thing. You like him. I hate him. So be it. 

:lol:.....SW1, ESPN sure had fun with that perception of Kiper.

I'm sure most folks have seen this but you leave me no choice....

http://youtu.be/0rLOEvYULfY

As for Dan Deirdorf, he is one of my all-time favs at it. He was a great OL & and a great Color man, maybe not as good as years ago, but I have always and even still enjoyed him and considered him as one of the best. Just my opinion & preference. :-)

At the 13:10 mark of the 3rd quarter just before the Chiefs score on the shuffle pass: "they ( the Colts ) are just not built to come from behind". Genius. How do I get a high paying job like this where you don't really need to be aware of past performance?

an absolute classic...congratulations Steve...you grabbed the total bozo moment of the season...

I do not know what could possibly make Mike M. say that about the No,1 comeback QB of the last 2 years..

..except that he fell in love with the sound of his own voice and he just threw out pre-owned comments without thinking..

Color commenters feel they have to make a 'breaking news' comment after every single play and they don't...

....He has knowledge..but he's always lecturing....

.Like the old saying goes: Never pass up a good chance to shut up. :yes: