Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Mayock

basketballsteve

At the 13:10 mark of the 3rd quarter just before the Chiefs score on the shuffle pass: "they ( the Colts ) are just not built to come from behind". Genius. How do I get a high paying job like this where you don't really need to be aware of past performance?

I just assume he doesnt watch nfl, he just locks himself in a room looking at wiki pages for every single college player ever.

Guest TeamLoloJones

At the 13:10 mark of the 3rd quarter just before the Chiefs score on the shuffle pass: "they ( the Colts ) are just not built to come from behind". Genius. How do I get a high paying job like this where you don't really need to be aware of past performance?

It's even worse when Mayock did the Thursday night game in Tennessee this year, when we made a comeback.

Well, it looks like I'm in the minority here, but I like Mayock.  Yes he makes mistakes but at least he does diagnose the game and the previous play and is one of the few who actually point out things that may not have been very noticeable at full speed.  Unlike most color analysists who just give you a repeat play by play.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Well, it looks like I'm in the minority here, but I like Mayock.  Yes he makes mistakes but at least he does diagnose the game and the previous play and is one of the few who actually point out things that may not have been very noticeable at full speed.  Unlike most color analysists who just give you a repeat play by play.

I'm with you.  He's not the greatest, but I don't really get why people dislike him so much.  He's far better than a majority of the others.  Honestly I wish Mayock would team up with Jim Nantz, and get rid of Simms.  Or replace Collinsworth.  Mike already works some for NBC doing Notre Dame games.

I still can't believe he said that. I think he's very knowledgeable about the game. But at some point he sounded like he was talking but not even listening to himself.

He also had some contradictory statements about the penalties. And how long did it take him to figure out Charles had a concussion? It was like they were afraid to say the word. What else could it have been when no one touched him and he slammed his head on the turf?

If there's one thing we know about the Colts and Andrew Luck, it's that they can't pull off comebacks. I mean, have we ever seen them do that? Whenever they are down they always give up. Luck certainly doesn't lead the NFL in comeback victories since the start of last season.

I'm using most of my daily ration of sarcasm on this post.

I still can't believe he said that. I think he's very knowledgeable about the game. But at some point he sounded like he was talking but not even listening to himself.

He also had some contradictory statements about the penalties. And how long did it take him to figure out Charles had a concussion? It was like they were afraid to say the word. What else could it have been when no one touched him and he slammed his head on the turf?

He said the Chiefs were going through concussion protocal when the cameras zoomed in on it at the sidelines....Mayock said they did not want to speculate because no official announcement been made at that time

I think he may have had a brain fart. Andrew Luck has a ton of 4th quarter comebacks, and surely being the analyst he is he had to have known this. Regardless, he's covered college football intensively and should know the legend of Andrew Luck.

He said the Chiefs were going through concussion protocal when the cameras zoomed in on it at the sidelines....Mayock said they did not want to speculate because no official announcement been made at that time

I'm talking about when he was on the ground.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I'm not a fan. Seems like a cross breed of a Bayless type. 

The difference is Mayock actually believes the stuff that comes out of his mouth.  

We are picking on the guy because we were down 28 points in the third, and he said we can't come back? I'll be honest, at that point I didn't think we could either. Against that team, I don't think we are built to come from behind. They have a heck of a pass rushing duo, and if you have been on this forum more than 20 minutes, you know we have a much maligned o-line. We also were without Reggie, and they still had Flowers, an all-pro CB at that point.

In black and white without our blue and white glasses on, we shouldn't have won that game, especially being down 28 points. Team A doesnt have a great O-line, No number 2 recieving threat to take attention away from the Number 1 (who originally was number 3 on the depth chart). Team A is also playing with a banged up secondary and is getting demolished. The QB has thrown back to back ints. Team B has a good ground game even without their number 1 back. The QB is able to move around and make plays with his feet and arm. The defense is getting good pass rushes, even if they aren't getting sacks, they also have 4 takeaways.

Be honest, if you didn't see the game play out and are looking at that scenario in the 3rd quarter, who do you say would win?

I'm with you.  He's not the greatest, but I don't really get why people dislike him so much.  He's far better than a majority of the others.  Honestly I wish Mayock would team up with Jim Nantz, and get rid of Simms.  Or replace Collinsworth.  Mike already works some for NBC doing Notre Dame games.

Yeah Mike is better than alot of other announcers out there.  I also like the way he breaks down plays as well.

Bayless is a tool, at least Mayock has talent.  He may not be the best announcer but he's not that bad

He was pro Chiefs all the way. 

If there's one thing we know about the Colts and Andrew Luck, it's that they can't pull off comebacks. I mean, have we ever seen them do that? Whenever they are down they always give up. Luck certainly doesn't lead the NFL in comeback victories since the start of last season.

I'm using most of my daily ration of sarcasm on this post.

I agree they'll let anyone have a mic I guess. 

I think most of us need to remember many of us thought the game was pretty much over  when we got down 31-10

Quoted for truth....I'm one of them...I kept thinking that if we could get stops we could get back into it but I never really thought we would have enough time to come all the way back. Seriously...at what point during all those ints and especially after we closed the first half with an int and opened the 3rd with another and went down 28 did you say....alright..its in the bag...we are coming back! Then again later when Luck threw the 3rd int. We hadn't stopped them all game long and we hadn't consistantly moved the ball. I can't say I blame Mayock for saying that. Generally we are set up to run the ball and make 3rd down plays..not big plays like we had to TY...certainly not when the other team should be playing for them...and then Rogers off the bench makes one too. We aren't generally a team that forces a lot of turnovers either so to get back into it in a hurry...no...we aren't built that way. This isn't the Broncos offense that consistantly put up points all year. Did we play like that...yes..but I would have said the same thing if I was him. It also didn't hurt that KC kinda played into our hands by not continuing to pound the run and eat clock. Giving us that many possessions in the second half..just shouldn't have happened...they really should have shortened the game....and even that..they were inches from a big first down and a last second fg to win the game. Mayock made a lot of good points...he is very sure of himself which can be annoying but way better than a lot of alternatives....given the 20 or so different commentators...I doubt this whole forum could agree on 2 that they would listen to....at least it wasn't premadonnas Deon and Irving....I think our team is just a little to "whitebread" or "vanilla" not referencing white but simply plain jane to get more than a sentance or two of objective opinions from them. Mayock had a lot of great things to say about Luck and Brown the whole game...even dispite the ints. 

If you watch Mayock long enough you will learn he is a narcissist and acts like he is Omniscient. He always refers to his play as a DB and he only played in 9 NFL games and never started a game or had any stats to speak of.

He likes to be the man with the answer and he kept going on about the fumble after the strip sack and saying that was a good challenge by the Chiefs but its an automatic challenge!  He said a lot of derogatory things about the Colts during that game.

When i watched the replay I just had shake my head at his comments

I prefer Mel Kiper for my draft information and Mayock just gives me a headache

LOL.  The only thing those two have in common are a vague facial resemblance.  I would never insult anyone by comparing them to Bayless.  Granted I haven't watched him in years, but I'm assuming he hasn't changed.

I like him too.

I like Mayock's breakdown of the film and draft coverage.  Watching his reactions to his co-hosts during the draft every time they talked about Manti Teo was pricelss.  Nevertheless, I think he shoulda been slapped across the face by Hicks after he said that.  The best comeback QB of all time (in the first 2 seasons that is), and you'd think that Mayock would have heard.

If you watch Mayock long enough you will learn he is a narcissist and acts like he is Omniscient. He always refers to his play as a DB and he only played in 9 NFL games and never started a game or had any stats to speak of.

He likes to be the man with the answer and he kept going on about the fumble after the strip sack and saying that was a good challenge by the Chiefs but its an automatic challenge!  He said a lot of derogatory things about the Colts during that game.

He also kept harping about the play where Charles was injured, saying it was because of the hit by the Colts defender. Even after the multiple replays showed the defender never touched Charles, (he flew right over him) and clearly showed Charles's head slamming into the ground on its own momentum, he never changed his stance, and kept saying because of the hit...because of the hit...

That, and the comment about the Colts not being a come from behind team, has lowered my respect for him as an announcer...

I like Mayock's breakdown of the film and draft coverage.  Watching his reactions to his co-hosts during the draft every time they talked about Manti Teo was pricelss.  Nevertheless, I think he shoulda been slapped across the face by Hicks after he said that.  The best comeback QB of all time (in the first 2 seasons that is), and you'd think that Mayock would have heard.

He constantly praised Luck the whole game...even during his terrible 3 ints...despite that it doesn't make what he said untrue....we aren't a team built to come back from 28pts...almost NO team is...pretty much the list ends with NO and DEN. We did come back...and our QB played brilliant but Mayock complemented Luck a LOT. To say the Colts aren't typically an offensive juggernaut or team that plays well from behind isn't exactly blasphemous. Yes Luck has led many 4th quarter come backs...no doubt...but few from 4 tds down....some time you don't even get that many possessions in a half...so at the time it was perfectly appropriate...and as we made the comeback...Mayock noted more and more about Lucks ability to put the bad plays behind him and lead the charge. I wouldn't say Mayock was an * for saying that. Even NE isn't built to come back from 28 pts down...yet they did against Denver...so it doesn't mean it CAN'T happen...just that it is unlikely to happen...and lets be honest...that outcome SAT......EXTREMELY UNLIKELY given the circumstances. Put in that position again and again we probably only pull off that come back 1 time out 10...it happened...and it just shows how INCREDIBLE it was.

Mike Mayock is a darn good NFL talent scout & I enjoy listening to him during Notre Dame football games too. Mike is very smart with a high football IQ & I feel smarter listening to the guy. I've said it before & I will say it again: Mike Mayock is my NFL Rabbi man. He's also superb during the draft too. I love the guy! 

Gavin is also right on the money too when he said "I think most of us need to remember many of us thought the game was pretty much over  when we got down 31-10." I believe in the Blue Horseshoe sure, but in the back of my mind I was thinking the situation was looking pretty bleak at that juncture in the game. 

You can just tell that Mike knows football & he doesn't lord over his NFL knowledge & make the audience feel stupid like they are the presence of greatness. I define genius as "making the complicated simple & easy to follow by anyone & everyone" & Mike Mayock does exactly that. JMO. 

I was not a fan of the NBC B team at all. I thought they were cutting away to pointless graphics and almost missing the start of the play all game.

I agree with you there....Mayock wanted to talk to much and they wanted to show those graphics and weren't expecting the NO HUDDLE offense Indy went into....it didn't just catch KC offguard but the show as well. Good point!!! I don't think they expected that from AL and Indy...unlike what we see in Denver and NE in years past...it definately caught them by surprise and I agree that was my really only and biggest gripe.

Mike Mayock is a darn good NFL talent scout & I enjoy listening to him during Notre Dame football games too. Mike is very smart with a high football IQ & I feel smarter listening to the guy. I've said it before & I will say it again: Mike Mayock is my NFL Rabbi man. He's also superb during the draft too. I love the guy! 

Gavin is also right on the money too when he said "I think most of us need to remember many of us thought the game was pretty much over  when we got down 31-10." I believe in the Blue Horseshoe sure, but in the back of my mind I was thinking the situation was looking pretty bleak at that juncture in the game. 

You can just tell that Mike knows football & he doesn't lord over his NFL knowledge & make the audience feel stupid like they are the presence of greatness. I define genius as "making the complicated simple & easy to follow by anyone & everyone" & Mike Mayock does exactly that. JMO. 

I agree with you...I'm not exactly as in love with him as you appear to be lol....but I usually understand his points and most are pretty valid...he does talk a bit too much for me but overall pretty astute guy......and the same people that are KILLING him for that comment....where were they during the game predicting this comeback and saying oh...we still got this...I'm pretty sure there wasn't a whole lot of optimisim at those points. I mean I was "HOPEFUL" but certainly not optimistic....I was very much impressed with how we didn't let momentum get away even after the turnovers...that game could have been the most lopsided in Colts history next to the NY game...give Luck all the credit and his team for fighting back.

He seems to know his football.  As far as formations and assignments and X's and O's, he's really in the know. He said he was surprised by all the scoring, admitting that he would have never guessed that.  Compared our KC game to the RAMS game which I think was spot on, in other words, he was making a reference to similar defenses from RAMS and KC (lot of pro-bowlers on KC and a few on RAMS too).  I'm not defending him, I'm sure he said some things to offend Colts fans, but I didn't take anything he said as being a slam on us or anything.  I would have to think that he is probably not going to give us a very good chance, in his mind, to beat NE this coming Saturday, January 11th, 2014.

Clearly you & I are not watching the same NFL analyst indyagent17. If any analyst is overrated to me it's Mel Kiper. I detest that windbag who reminds me of a guy that just never shuts up & loves the sound of his own voice I think. To each their own, I guess. Again, a personal preference thing. You like him. I hate him. So be it. 

I agree with you...I'm not exactly as in love with him as you appear to be lol....but I usually understand his points and most are pretty valid...he does talk a bit too much for me but overall pretty astute guy......and the same people that are KILLING him for that comment....where were they during the game predicting this comeback and saying oh...we still got this...I'm pretty sure there wasn't a whole lot of optimisim at those points. I mean I was "HOPEFUL" but certainly not optimistic....I was very much impressed with how we didn't let momentum get away even after the turnovers...that game could have been the most lopsided in Colts history next to the NY game...give Luck all the credit and his team for fighting back.

I will admit that my admiration/affection for Mike Mayock stems from words like meathead that he uses a lot & humorous stories he tells about players on the field & coaches patrolling the sidelines. Can he get longwinded sometimes? Sure, but he is paid to talk & break down formations, reads, & coverages is he not?

I don't really view any analyst as supporting 1 team over another & even if their bias is on full display for all to see & hear so what? Players still have to tackle, score TDs, & punt. No analyst affects the outcome of any game & Mike is always complementary of our INDY squad & the current direction of our football program.

Yes Luck deserves a ton of credit for keeping his composure, remaining calm, believing in his teammates & bringing us back from the brink of playoff elimination.

About the only analyst who irritates me sometimes is the blatant bias NBC broadcaster Cris Collinsworth shows during every Dallas Cowboys game which infuriates me & gets under my skin because I hate Dallas so darn much. Cris is a decent analyst. I just think Jerry Jones must pay him extra under the table for every complement he gives to the Dallas roster & coaching staff. LOL! Just Kidding!   

He constantly praised Luck the whole game...even during his terrible 3 ints...despite that it doesn't make what he said untrue....we aren't a team built to come back from 28pts...almost NO team is...pretty much the list ends with NO and DEN. We did come back...and our QB played brilliant but Mayock complemented Luck a LOT. To say the Colts aren't typically an offensive juggernaut or team that plays well from behind isn't exactly blasphemous. Yes Luck has led many 4th quarter come backs...no doubt...but few from 4 tds down....some time you don't even get that many possessions in a half...so at the time it was perfectly appropriate...and as we made the comeback...Mayock noted more and more about Lucks ability to put the bad plays behind him and lead the charge. I wouldn't say Mayock was an * for saying that. Even NE isn't built to come back from 28 pts down...yet they did against Denver...so it doesn't mean it CAN'T happen...just that it is unlikely to happen...and lets be honest...that outcome SAT......EXTREMELY UNLIKELY given the circumstances. Put in that position again and again we probably only pull off that come back 1 time out 10...it happened...and it just shows how INCREDIBLE it was.

I was just taking issue with the one thing he said.  And even if we aren't "built" to come back, it's a silly thing in light of the fact that we have done so many many times.  At worst, he's flat out wrong and at best, he's not accurate.

The playoff games should be called by the cream of the announcing crop, not this guy. I realize that the networks are going to put their best on in primetime night games but c'mon...?? Sure miss the old time announcers that are long gone now as Dan Dierdorf will be as well. We can look forward to at least having him this week, if I'm not mistaken. Keep Mayock on College.

I dont think if we had a vote we couldn't get two announcers to get more than 10 votes....there are so many different opinions on each. In the end I don't think he is blatently a fan of a certain team or player over the other...he seemed very level headed and he understands the game well and what is unfolding and why it is. There is no Pat Summerals left...and today commentators are more color than commentating imo...but he isn't the worst and I appreciated his views....while I prefer sometimes a more minimalistic approach...I understand they are there to inform and entertain.....just when he gets going a little bit too far on his opinions of players from his 'VAST" draft knowledge..it does get old...but I still had no problem with his calling the game...or even saying we aren't built to play from behind....while correct we aren't built that way...yes we did come back...but it isn't something ANYONE would have expected and we got a lot of help along the way....we left so little room for error in that second half even one first down by KC more or one less play we made probably ends up changing the outcome. We don't have a consistant explosive offense like Denver or NO....but clearly we now see anything is possible with this team.