Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Read option left......

cdgacoltsfan

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do consider the read-option to be a gimmick offense but it was wrong to bring it up in the context of this one play.  But if one were to take the definitions of the read-option from this thread then every pass is a read option because the QB reads the defense and then has the option to throw to WR1/2 or 3 or the option to run if things are covered.

Oh well, I am done with this thread.  People will call it what they want and in the end it doesn't really matter if I'm right or wrong.  (Although I am right. ;) )

Not going to defend every misconception about the read option in this thread. But what read option is is pretty well defined at this point, and it's not every pass play.

I just think people like to hop on read option because of how it's been categorized, and miscategorized. Whatever, doesn't matter. I do think that it can be used from time to time as a wrinkle in your offense, assuming you have a QB who can run.

Not going to defend every misconception about the read option in this thread. But what read option is is pretty well defined at this point, and it's not every pass play.

I just think people like to hop on read option because of how it's been categorized, and miscategorized. Whatever, doesn't matter. I do think that it can be used from time to time as a wrinkle in your offense, assuming you have a QB who can run.

It's been stigmatised, polarized and poo poo'd due to our obsession for ridiculing Bobby III at all costs. Real QB's don't need gimmicks, look at Peyton!

Et Cetera.

I think we're being overly dogmatic here. The read doesn't have to cause a stutter step. The Colts had been running out of shotgun all game (and have been doing it a whole lot for the last month). We saw how the Chiefs were defending it in this game, and how they defended it in the last matchup. I think it's safe to say that the play call assumed that Hali would crash down, and then Luck would have the backside wide open. But I do think there still may have been a read element to the play. By the time Luck pulls the ball back, though, there's no indecision, no reason to stutter step. He saw Hali out of position, knew that he had a lane, and took off. The only stutter step is the change of direction.

There's really no need to categorically deny that this play could have been either a keeper or a read play. But it had all the elements of a read play, including the unblocked defender. And it resulted in Luck running down the field. I don't see why anyone would stipulate that there's a fundamental difference between this play and a real life read option, especially demanding that we recognize the difference because 'the read option is a gimmick.

I never claimed the read option to be a gimmick and in fact defended it last year on many occasions. However, I think this was always staying with Luck by design. Plenty of run plays that involve delay have an unblocked defender. 

Anyway, I don't hate the concept of it bein a read option and wouldn't have a problem with us playing some, I just don't think it was a read option play.