Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Weather in NE

bobourret

BTW, how does our redzone efficiency compare to the Patriots?

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

We're 7th, they are 13th if we're talking just TDs.  I'm not sure of where to find a stat that would include FGs, but you can probably assume that the percentages will have a similar deviation since both teams rarely turn the ball over, and FGs where the ball is snapped in the red zone are practically chip shots. Vinny's missed only 1 and Gostkowski hasn't missed any FGs less than 40 yards.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

Depends, who the most talented team is in football is subjective. Meaning its not a fact. Who the number one seed is, that's a fact but the most talented team doesn't always have the number one seed. I do agree the most talented team doesn't always win it all, it will always be this way in any sport with a one game and advance system. The better team might have a day off and that's too bad for them, I get that......Again tho, to say the players on those teams don't matter..........I just think that's a really poor choice of words, that's all.

They don't.  If a team is good enough to make the playoffs, they are good enough to win the Superbowl.

38 and raining is not 70 and dome. Advantage NE for sure. Pats have better run game as well.

Dome doesn't matter, Pats play on turf just like Indy. As long as it's not too windy it really doesn't matter if it's outdoors because pats don't have grass

Cold rain will matter... a lot.

Just checked foxboro forecast just now, 46 degrees and 30% chance of rain at 7pm Saturday . I'm not worried at all about those conditions. Wind is supposed to be around 17mph that is the only thing I'm worried about as of right now

Just checked foxboro forecast just now, 46 degrees and 30% chance of rain at 7pm Saturday . I'm not worried at all about those conditions. Wind is supposed to be around 17mph that is the only thing I'm worried about as of right now

Yeah, I agree. Wind is worse and it has been whipping here this week and freezing as well. Supposed to warm up by the end of the week.

Honest question - from what you have seen of Luck, do you think it matters at all what the conditions will be?

Not sure. I have not really seen him play much in bad weather. His arm at times seems weak to me but other times strong. Hard to tell how be will fair in wind and rain. Brady for sure is superb in it. I think the poor conditions actually effect the kicking the most. I really don't expect a ton of passing, at least long range passing in the wind and rain. The keys will be the run game and TOs IMO along with the kicking game as I don't think it will be high scoring. Mid 20's for both teams.

Yeah, I agree. Wind is worse and it has been whipping here this week and freezing as well. Supposed to warm up by the end of the week

Wind is no more a problem for the Colts than it is for the Pats. In fact Luck chose to throw against a big wind during his pro day. Something like the last 56 passes he threw were on target. Wind is a disadvantage for QB's that float the ball and don't throw tight spirals. Manning in a big wind ... yeah sure. Luck .. no problem.

Wind is no more a problem for the Colts than it is for the Pats. In fact Luck chose to throw against a big wind during his pro day. Something like the last 56 passes he threw were on target. Wind is a disadvantage for QB's that float the ball and don't throw tight spirals. Manning in a big wind ... yeah sure. Luck .. no problem.

Yeah he seems big and strong. Wind will effect the receivers as well and the kicking game big time. I really do hope the forecast changes a bit as I don't want the elements to completely dominate but I have a feeling they will especially at night when things get nasty up here.

Yeah he seems big and strong. Wind will effect the receivers as well and the kicking game big time. I really do hope the forecast changes a bit as I don't want the elements to completely dominate but I have a feeling they will especially at night when things get nasty up here.

It seems like that forecast could be fine or really nasty as you say. Just never know back east near the ocean. I remember one Colt NE playoff game they predicted no snow ... no big deal. About 2 hours latter you couldn't see your nozzle with all the snow falling. 

It seems like that forecast could be fine or really nasty as you say. Just never know back east near the ocean. I remember one Colt NE playoff game they predicted no snow ... no big deal. About 2 hours latter you couldn't see your nozzle with all the snow falling. 

Ha. Yeah, that has happened a lot here. So far it has been frigid and we have had a few snow storms. I think it may be colder then they are predicting and snow instead of rain. Mid 30's usually brings more of a sleet or wintry mix as they say up here which is just miserable for playing and for the fans. The more I think about it. The NFL was insane to have the SB in NY this year.

Ha. Yeah, that has happened a lot here. So far it has been frigid and we have had a few snow storms. I think it may be colder then they are predicting and snow instead of rain. Mid 30's usually brings more of a sleet or wintry mix as they say up here which is just miserable for playing and for the fans. The more I think about it. The NFL was insane to have the SB in NY this year.

Agree with that.

Honest question - from what you have seen of Luck, do you think it matters at all what the conditions will be?

He doesn't have an extensive track record of playing in the elements, but:

1. Has a very good arm, drives the ball well. Doesn't he also have freakishly huge hands? Or am I thinking of one of the other QBs from that draft class? You saw in the Denver-Pats game how Manning had trouble throwing in that wind and cold. I don't see the same thing happening with Luck.

2. Mobility wise, he's terrific. If the field is wet that helps the offense a little. Receivers get a little edge when making cuts, and pass rushers don't get great footing. 

3. Most of all I think it's safe to say (based on his penchant for comebacks) that Luck is very mentally tough. That might be the most important aspect of a player when they're out in the elements. 

If the weather is poor it will provide a slight advantage to NE, just because of their history of playing in it. When you live, practice, work in a place that's got tough conditions, you're going to be more used to it. 

Do the Colts ever practice outdoors deliberately in rain/wind/snow/cold? Just to simulate likely game conditions? I know Belichick does that. If they're playing in Miami in the late fall, for instance, he'll have them practice inside the bubble at Gillette and crank up the heat. If it's a loud stadium, he'll blare music (usually Bon Jovi, presumably) while the offense is trying to run plays. Stuff like that. It's been cold in Indiana this week, so I don't see a huge advantage either way. 

1. Has a very good arm, drives the ball well. Doesn't he also have freakishly huge hands? Or am I thinking of one of the other QBs from that draft class? You saw in the Denver-Pats game how Manning had trouble throwing in that wind and cold. I don't see the same thing happening with Luck.

2. Mobility wise, he's terrific. If the field is wet that helps the offense a little. Receivers get a little edge when making cuts, and pass rushers don't get great footing. 

3. Most of all I think it's safe to say (based on his penchant for comebacks) that Luck is very mentally tough. That might be the most important aspect of a player when they're out in the elements. 

If the weather is poor it will provide a slight advantage to NE, just because of their history of playing in it. When you live, practice, work in a place that's got tough conditions, you're going to be more used to it. 

Do the Colts ever practice outdoors deliberately in rain/wind/snow/cold? Just to simulate likely game conditions? I know Belichick does that. If they're playing in Miami in the late fall, for instance, he'll have them practice inside the bubble at Gillette and crank up the heat. If it's a loud stadium, he'll blare music (usually Bon Jovi, presumably) while the offense is trying to run plays. Stuff like that. It's been cold in Indiana this week, so I don't see a huge advantage either way. 

Yes , they do practice outside. Also your assessment of the weather factor is about right. Plus the Cots rely on the pass a bit more than the Pats and the gusty winds will no doubt effect the passing game.

Slightly off topic: there almost 4,000 tickets left for the game Saturday. Why isn't ESPN running some lame article about a potential blackout in New England?

Because it's New England, it's in their contract to not say anything negative of New England

Because it's New England, it's in their contract to not say anything negative of New England

That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. I just heard a lot of people bashing our fans last week because the game needed an extension, I guess those rules don't apply to the 6 states in New England.

I know this week they've been keeping the temps at the practice facility at 30-35 degrees. I don't think they've been able to practice outside due the snow they've received in the past few days...

That was ultimately my point.  Although unproven to a degree, Luck just strikes me as someone who will just go out and play.  Don't take this as Manning bashing, but I just believe he will effected less by weather than 18 was/is. 

They do practice outside when an potential weather game is coming up.  However this week is a little different.  Indy got hit with extreme weather this week with a foot of snow and then frigid temps.  The pics I have seen from practice indicate they are indoors, but that should not matter as the forecast is not terrible.  If the Pats win, it will be due to the fact they played better and not because the Colts failed to handle weather.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yeah, I don't agree with this notion AT ALL. 

You don't agree that any team that makes the playoffs can win the Superbowl?  Wow.  I guess we can just ignore history then.

Really,,,,,,, well I've got I bridge to sell you if you believe they Colts intended to give up a 1st round pick for a RB and then not start him. As for Ridley, he was benched because of ball control issues, the pats didn't give up their number 1 pick in this years draft to then bench him and start their 4th stringer.

Come on man....you couldn't pick a better name to troll with? 

Nobody likes Shasta 

20390d1371072531-favorite-soda-shasta-po

Where are these tickets? Not at Ticketm***er. Not even single seats at the moment.

Are you looking at resellers or scalpers? I can believe that - prices are as usual thru the roof.

Slightly off topic: there almost 4,000 tickets left for the game Saturday. Why isn't ESPN running some lame article about a potential blackout in New England?

You don't agree that any team that makes the playoffs can win the Superbowl?  Wow.  I guess we can just ignore history then.

History does not prove that any team that makes the playoffs can win the SB. Every year only ONE TEAM wins the sb. So history does NOT prove that. History proves that year that particular team won the SB, that's it. Now to clarify what I originally meant, if the better team doesn't play its best game and or makes mistakes then yeah, the other team can win. You can't go into a game assuming this will happen tho. If every team plays to its potential then the other team just might not be good enough to win. The 2007 patriots were by far the best team in football. However they didn't play their best when it mattered most and they lost. If a team doesn't play its best or very close to it all bets are off. That's when anything can happen and that's when less talented teams win.

Guest TeamLoloJones

History does not prove that any team that makes the playoffs can win the SB. Every year only ONE TEAM wins the sb. So history does NOT prove that. History proves that year that particular team won the SB, that's it. Now to clarify what I originally meant, if the better team doesn't play its best game and or makes mistakes then yeah, the other team can win. You can't go into a game assuming this will happen tho. If every team plays to its potential then the other team just might not be good enough to win. The 2007 patriots were by far the best team in football. However they didn't play their best when it mattered most and they lost. If a team doesn't play its best or very close to it all bets are off. That's when anything can happen and that's when less talented teams win.

Yes it does.

Hahaha... Cold is an understatement. It was like -11 or something like that. There was a polar vortex. We had a snow storm and the roads have been horrible.

Well, it snowed here today. So much for the warm front. They are still saying it will be in the high 30s tomorrow with a ton of rain that will begin at 1:30 p.m. EST and go right through to the early morning hours. The field is going to be a quagmire similar to the Buffalo game just two weeks ago. But I still think it may be snow vs rain/sleet.

Guest TeamLoloJones

No, it doesn't.

It seems you have completely missed the point on this subject, there is evidence as recent as last years playoffs.  So unless you have something substantial to back up your claim, stop it.

from weather.com....  hourly breakdown.. 90% of rain 20 mph winds.. temp 53*  gonna be a good game and chess match

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/graph/Boston+MA+USMA0046:1:US?pagenum=3&nextbeginIndex=24

tried to post the hourly breakdown, but it didn't stay in tact  the link has been scrolled through to start at 12:00 pm tomorrow 1/10/2014

FEELS LIKE: 48°   HUMIDITY: 96%   PRECIP: 90%   WIND: SSW at 15 mph