Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Weather in NE

bobourret

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys... especially Colts fans...  Don't kid yourselves.  This year the Patriots running attack has been outstanding.  BB again came through for his team.  Complete change of offensive philosophy.  Shut down pass, run the ball down the other teams throats.  They will soon panic and throw right into the strength of the D.  That's how the Patriots have won so many games this year and have done it wonderfully.  

This game will DEFINITELY come down to who runs the ball and who stops the run.  The thing is the Colts match up (imo) really well to the Pats.  As they have the personnel to run a lot of 2 TE sets with speed on the outside.  If they can successfully run the ball out of this formation the Pats D is in for a long long long day.  I will admit I'm a tad worried about the ground game of the Pats, but I think we see Brady panic a bit and check out of runs and attempt to win the game himself.  Which I think plays into our favor, as our DB's (even not 100% Pats don't necessarily have the speed) have the edge over their receiving tandem.  Again though it all depends if we are going to give up 5 ypc or not.

Ewwww hear it is supposed to be raining Saturday. Oh well, to be honest the few rain games I feel I watched with the Pats this year I think Brady is a lot worse in rain then if it was snowing.

Fumbles need to be watched though and hopefully the Colts got all the careless turnovers out of the way vs. KC.

Hey rain......I can hope for a Colts/Bears Super Bowl repeat performance. :) Most said "Soft dome team alert" before the game vs. Chicago........

Personally, I feel this Colts team will surprise people with their physicality Saturday night. That is my prediction. We tend to prove doubters wrong this season.....

Don't think my original reply posted but ill do it again.

The offenses goal is to score points, not get yardage. You seem to think more yardage equates to be being better at it. Not true in the least bit.

How does one score points without gaining yardage? The two go hand in hand.

Give me your address so I can send you a nice box of kleenex for Saturday night. You have this crazy vision that the Pats will roll over the Colts like they did last year. Will you come back and visit after  you are done crying after Luck rips your team to shreds ?

You are coming dangerously close to winning the battle of who is most aggravating. ;)

You find me one post where I said the Pats will roll over the Colts? I do think we have an advantage in the run game which will bode well in cold rainy conditions. I never take playoff games for granted or think anyone is a cupcake least of all a team led by Andrew Luck who most resembles a young Brady.

When will people learn that NO TEAM ever has an advantage in the playoffs.  Home field doesn't matter, weather doesn't matter, and most times your roster doesn't even matter.  It's all about which team plays like their lives depend on it. #TRUTH

This is a really ridiculous post. Obviously whoever plays better and makes more plays will win.....but to act like home field means nothing and the players on the teams mean nothing is probably the most outrages thing I've read regarding sports in a long long time.

Really? Ill use our game against Baltimore last year. The Colts had over 400 yards of offense but only got 9 points. Yards mean nothing if you don't score.

Sure but you can't score without yards and the Pats rush game has been a bigger key to their O this year then any other recent season especially the last two games where they have relied on it heavily to the tune of 41 and 34 points - their highest point totals since the 55 they put on Pitt mid-season.

You are coming dangerously close to winning the battle of who is most aggravating. ;)

You find me one post where I said the Pats will roll over the Colts? I do think we have an advantage in the run game which will bode well in cold rainy conditions. I never take playoff games for granted or think anyone is a cupcake least of all a team led by Andrew Luck who most resembles a young Brady.

You have dominated that award and no way I could match up with you on that.

I just have this feeling that our snot nose goof ball is going to end your season. 

Sure but you can't score without yards and the Pats rush game has been a bigger key to their O this year then any other recent season especially the last two games where they have relied on it heavily to the tune of

IMO   This could apply to both teams .  This season

D. Brown   rushing 537  avg 5,3  - receiving 214    

L. Blount  rushing 772  avg 5.0   - receiving 38

Our defense is limiting RB's  & putting them out of games our RB is a threat receiving  . on paper the QB's are pretty similar except our 12 is a threat with his legs & lastly your biggest home field advantage the cold weather is not so big .

When I looked at the numbers & how we stack up I feel pretty good about my Colts . Lots of confidence in fact I propose that if your *s Win I'll wear a Tom Brady pic instead of my clown for a month Would you be interested in wearing a Andrew Luck pic ? When my Colts Win ?  Winner chooses pic :thmup:    :blueshoe:

IMO   This could apply to both teams .  This season

D. Brown   rushing 537  avg 5,3  - receiving 214    

L. Blount  rushing 772  avg 5.0   - receiving 38

Our defense is limiting RB's  & putting them out of games our RB is a threat receiving  . on paper the QB's are pretty similar except our 12 is a threat with his legs & lastly your biggest home field advantage the cold weather is not so big .

When I looked at the numbers & how we stack up I feel pretty good about my Colts . Lots of confidence in fact I propose that if your *s Win I'll wear a Tom Brady pic instead of my clown for a month Would you be interested in wearing a Andrew Luck pic ? When my Colts Win ?  Winner chooses pic :thmup:    :blueshoe:

I do think the match ups are close but you don't have the defensive personnell that typically bothers Brady and I think if Bill limits your pass game then it will be tough for you to beat us with your run game. I think the Pats can win with their run game and timely passing from Brady.

Sure. I will take the bet. Just remember I have pics of Brady with a goat and dancing in Brazil with a ponytail at my disposal. ;)

I do think the match ups are close but you don't have the defensive personnell that typically bothers Brady and I think if Bill limits your pass game then it will be tough for you to beat us with your run game. I think the Pats can win with their run game and timely passing from Brady.

Sure. I will take the bet. Just remember I have pics of Brady with a goat and dancing in Brazil with a ponytail at my disposal. ;)

Awesome   Brady dancing with a goat is a winner whats her name ?  ;)

He won't be on Dancing with the Stars anytime soon .   I don't even know where to begin :woah:

I know. It is awful. I always say to my friends Brady is easily defendable on the field given his superb play but off the field? Eeesh. He makes it difficult on us Pats fans. ;)

I know. It is awful. I always say to my friends Brady is easily defendable on the field given his superb play but off the field? Eeesh. He makes it difficult on us Pats fans. ;)

Get your self a pair of uggs & walk a mile in his shoes , I'd say a model wife but I doubt either of us can afford 1 ..

Get your self a pair of uggs & walk a mile in his shoes , I'd say a model wife but I doubt either of us can afford 1 ..

I know. He is always so comfortable in his own skin. I think that is what makes me most envious of him. He can hold a goat, wear a ponytail, model Uggs and all just works.

Yep, they looked great in their 13-10 win vs Jets at the beginning of the year too in the rain :).

Lucky for Pats fans they're a different and much better team now but it was one of 12 wins. Coach B always says "the goal is to improve each week" and improve they have. The Colts are going to get their bells rung Saturday night.

I know. He is always so comfortable in his own skin. I think that is what makes me most envious of him. He can hold a goat, wear a ponytail, model Uggs and all just works.

He doesn't care was others think and he never mis-steps off the field. Ugg does make a few styles that even the work boot guys would like when getting dressy.

Guest TeamLoloJones

This is a really ridiculous post. Obviously whoever plays better and makes more plays will win.....but to act like home field means nothing and the players on the teams mean nothing is probably the most outrages thing I've read regarding sports in a long long time.

Obviously there are small advantages to being the home team like crowd noise, etc.  My point is those are advantages are minute in comparison to level of play the teams actually put on the field.  Home field advantage in the NFL Playoffs is the most overrated thing in sports.  As far as the roster comment goes...the most talented team in the NFL seldom wins the Superbowl.

Sure but you can't score without yards and the Pats rush game has been a bigger key to their O this year then any other recent season especially the last two games where they have relied on it heavily to the tune of 41 and 34 points - their highest point totals since the 55 they put on Pitt mid-season.

Again you are wrong. A team can put up 41 points and maybe get 200 yards of offense. Meanwhile, a QB can throw for 400 yards and his team manage only 24 points. Yardage as a whole is the most overrated factor in football stats, for both sides of the ball.

Ill leave it at this. The Colts and Pats both have essentialy the same efficient run games with different methods and players to do it.

Again you are wrong. A team can put up 41 points and maybe get 200 yards of offense. Meanwhile, a QB can throw for 400 yards and his team manage only 24 points. Yardage as a whole is the most overrated factor in football stats, for both sides of the ball.

Ill leave it at this. The Colts and Pats both have essentialy the same efficient run games with different methods and players to do it.

If you think yards do not correlate to points then I am not sure what to tell you. The Pats rush game has put up yards and points as it has gotten the O in position to score or has scored itself.

If Luck has a yards per completion of 8 yards but throws for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs and Wilson also has a yards per completion of 8 yards but throws for 3,000 yards and 25 TDs who has the better passing attack?

If you think yards do not correlate to points then I am not sure what to tell you. The Pats rush game has put up yards and points as it has gotten the O in position to score or has scored itself.

If Luck has a yards per completion of 8 yards but throws for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs and Wilson also has a yards per completion of 8 yards but throws for 3,000 yards and 25 TDs who has the better passing attack?

If you really believe that yardage equates to points every time then you are sadly mistaken. I've listed numerous examples. If you don't see that, then I can't help you.

That would depend on how much they are both passing. If Luck took less attemps to get to that total compared to Wilson, then you could say hes more efficient. However, if Luck had to throw 100 more times to get just 5 more TDs then yes, you could say Wilson is better.

Like I said, just because a team rushes more and gets more yardage doesn't mean they are better at doing it.

What matters is how many attempts you have and what you are averaging on those attempts. 4.4 and 4.3 are identical in YPC. The Patriots having a higher rushing total in yardage doesn't mean they are better at it, it just means they do it more often, likely because Brady hasn't been able to do anything with the weapons he has this year.

Cincy was 8-0 at home as well. We all saw how that turned out.

I've been called lots of names on message boards before but did you just compare the Patriots to the Bengals? 

I, sir, take deep offense to that. Pistols at dawn.

(Just kidding, but I did LOL at that... the Bengals are hard-wired to lose playoff games, you can't compare the two franchises in the postseason! Well I guess you can, but... c'mon. They're the Bengals. ;)) 

Ewwww hear it is supposed to be raining Saturday. Oh well, to be honest the few rain games I feel I watched with the Pats this year I think Brady is a lot worse in rain then if it was snowing.

Astute observation as usual Jules. I would agree.

And speaking in general terms, as a guy who's lived here his whole life and has spent a good deal of time in the elements...

I'd take 30 degrees and snowing over 38 degrees and raining every time. A cold rain like that is going to have a more adverse impact on the passing game than if it was 10 degrees colder but snowing instead of raining. The rain pulls the heat away from your body much faster than just cold temps would. If it's windy then the effect is even more of an issue. 

Overall, looking at this game, the Colts and Patriots have both shown a tendency to start slow and win games this season by staging dramatic comebacks. If the weather impacts the passing game, and if one team or the other falls behind, it's going to be a lot tougher to come back in this one because it may be tougher to throw. 

Far as the run game(s) goes/go... 

I don't know enough about the Colts' run game to compare the two or comment on it, and stats only tell so much of the story. But as far as the Patriots' run game is concerned, they've really been effective for most of this season, especially the last few weeks. They don't bounce a lot of it outside or run stretch plays; most of it is between the tackles, one-cut-and-up-the-field stuff. There are power running games and then there are running games that depend a little more on scheme. Right now they're very much a power running team. Blount has been terrific, and Ridley has slowly worked his way out of Belichick's doghouse. Between them they gained nearly 1600 yards on the season. Vereen is an excellent change-of-pace guy who has had issues staying healthy. If he's 100% he's a bit of a matchup nightmare. His hands are supposedly great but it seems to me like he drops at least one pass per game.

Look for at least one end-around too, probably to Edelman. Especially if Indy is getting aggressive with the run blitzes. 

The Patriots really need the run game to work, and obviously it sets up play action for Brady. If Aaron Dobson (rookie WR) is healthy he'll be the deep threat, and they usually take at least two or three shots downfield with him every game. They miss Gronk on those play action seam routes (not to mention his blocking) but this isn't the type of team that can spread you out and throw it all day. If they get into a position where they're trying to play catch-up, they'll throw a lot of short and intermediate stuff to Edelman and Amendola. 

Personally I'm hoping to see the forecast change a bit with colder temps and possible snow instead of rain. Like Jules said, Brady seems to handle that a lot better. He's still probably above average in cold rain, but I've never seen a QB play better in the snow. It really helps receivers get separation, and neutralizes pass rushers a little due to poor footing.

Watch the final score of this game be like 13-10 or something after everyone is ranting and raving about the passing games, especially after our game vs. the Chiefs.

God I hate rain and some predict it may POUR Saturday night. I mean I have faith the Colts can deal with it but it makes the game so ugly at times and the field a sloppy mess possibly. But, I would actually prefer rain vs. Brady and snow vs. Peyton if this makes any sense at all. Peyton seems to like rain better and Brady likes snow better. I suspect rain makes Brady's hair too wet and he looks more handsome with fluffy white snow sprinkled on his head. (that's for amfootball)

I can think of 3 rain games for NE this year. Week 2 vs. the Jets at home, the final week vs. Buffalo and I think it was pouring at the end of Pats/Bengals. Of course it may not have been "the rain" that hurt Brady at times or made the NE passing game more lackluster but I certainly have seen Brady light it up in the snow much more then the rain.

With us not sure......we will see. Just have to hope we don't have any careless turnovers like we did vs. KC since it may be wet. I hope the team mentally prepares for this too.

Could be a sloppy game for all we know......

If you really believe that yardage equates to points every time then you are sadly mistaken. I've listed numerous examples. If you don't see that, then I can't help you.

That would depend on how much they are both passing. If Luck took less attemps to get to that total compared to Wilson, then you could say hes more efficient. However, if Luck had to throw 100 more times to get just 5 more TDs then yes, you could say Wilson is better.

Like I said, just because a team rushes more and gets more yardage doesn't mean they are better at doing it.

What matters is how many attempts you have and what you are averaging on those attempts. 4.4 and 4.3 are identical in YPC. The Patriots having a higher rushing total in yardage doesn't mean they are better at it, it just means they do it more often, likely because Brady hasn't been able to do anything with the weapons he has this year.

This has been my whole point. The Pats are doing it more often at 4.4 a clip which is better then the Colts. The Pats rushing attack has been better because they can rely on it every time to get 4.4 a clip. They are in #3 in points scored. The Colts are 14. A big part of that ranking has been the rush game. You really have no argument. That has been clear this whole time but keeping arguing YAC like it is the only stat to judge a rush game. It's not.

Colts are practicing outside last I saw and its crazy in Indiana.  Colts are younger and much more hungry the weather wont even factor in. 

^^^^To the Pats fan the Colts are leaning on Donald Brown and leaving TRich on the bench.  Most of their * poor rushing numbers are when they were under the assumption Richardson could be a #1 running back. 

Look at the Colts numbers they don't add up this year or last.  They should have like 9 wins in two years if u were looking at stats alone. 

This has been my whole point. The Pats are doing it more often at 4.4 a clip which is better then the Colts. The Pats rushing attack has been better because they can rely on it every time to get 4.4 a clip. They are in #3 in points scored. The Colts are 14. A big part of that ranking has been the rush game. You really have no argument. That has been clear this whole time but keeping arguing YAC like it is the only stat to judge a rush game. It's not.

Lucks beard will dominate the elements, toms "beard" is for show! The versatility of Lucks beard and added warmth will have more effect on the outcome of this game than 0.1 ypc.

Come rain or shine as long as we make Brady uncomfortable in the pocket we have a great chance. Manthis..Bathea..Freeman = Beastmode. Our boys can handle themselves...Luck will be Luck.. TY..Darick..Griff..Colby..Brown will be their solid selves. I'm so jacked for Saturday night!!.. let's do this Colts!!.. #beatbrady #coltstrong .. Aloha

If you honestly believe 4.4 is THAT much better than 4.3, you need to consider taking a mathematics course at your local community college. In terms of yardage, they are the same. You haven't even argued any stats at all. You claim that 9th place rank but have zero idea how that ranking is achieved.

That ranking is purely based on yardage divided by the amount of games played. Doesn't account for anything else. Do your research.

The Patriots won one more game than the Colts, the differences between the two are minimal.

If you honestly believe 4.4 is THAT much better than 4.3, you need to consider taking a mathematics course at your local community college. In terms of yardage, they are the same. You haven't even argued any stats at all. You claim that 9th place rank but have zero idea how that ranking is achieved.

That ranking is purely based on yardage divided by the amount of games played. Doesn't account for anything else. Do your research.

The Patriots won one more game than the Colts, the differences between the two are minimal.

ok. 9 is the same as 20. And 3 is the same as 14 for points scored. sigh ...

Obviously there are small advantages to being the home team like crowd noise, etc.  My point is those are advantages are minute in comparison to level of play the teams actually put on the field.  Home field advantage in the NFL Playoffs is the most overrated thing in sports.  As far as the roster comment goes...the most talented team in the NFL seldom wins the Superbowl.

Depends, who the most talented team is in football is subjective. Meaning its not a fact. Who the number one seed is, that's a fact but the most talented team doesn't always have the number one seed. I do agree the most talented team doesn't always win it all, it will always be this way in any sport with a one game and advance system. The better team might have a day off and that's too bad for them, I get that......Again tho, to say the players on those teams don't matter..........I just think that's a really poor choice of words, that's all.

All of the stats being thrown around mean nothing right now. Including our record in the regular season. Patriots were 12-4 last year and lost to the 10-6 ravens.