Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Weather in NE

bobourret

Vareen is the one of the leagues best third down backs, in your imagination, Ridley has one good year (2012) but he puts the ball on the ground way too much and has been known to get knocked the heck out. Blount also has ball security issues and a scant resume' to say the least. We shall see, but those running backs aren't keeping the Colts coaches up late, Tom Brady is.

We can disagree about NE's RBs but I do agree Brady is the one that Indy is most preparing for but in the cold rain, the team better able to run and get first downs will have the advantage.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vareen is the one of the leagues best third down backs, in your imagination, Ridley has one good year (2012) but he puts the ball on the ground way too much and has been known to get knocked the heck out. Blount also has ball security issues and a scant resume' to say the least. We shall see, but those running backs aren't keeping the Colts coaches up late, Tom Brady is.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Colts just trade their 1st round pick this year for a RB that they then had to bench?

If a teams running game was only evaluated on a simple yards per rush ratio, then I would agree with you, however there is a lot more to evaluate than the base number per rush, which is why the Patriots are ranked 9th in the NFL and the Colts 20th. However that's not my main point, and again this is only my opinion, but I'll say it again, this game won't be won on the arm of either QB, but rather on the legs of the running back that best able to grind out those cold wet first downs.  

My opinion is that your opinion is probably 100% wrong. In a game that features one of the all time great QB's (Brady) and up and comer (Luck) you think the play of New Englands RB's will be the difference? You may be right, but I highly doubt it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Colts just trade their 1st round pick this year for a RB that they then had to bench?

How is that relevent to our current topic? Consider yourself corrected, they didn't have to bench TRich they chose to start Brown with Richardson on spot duty. Since you brought it up, how many weeks was Ridley a healthy scratch?

SatJan 11

11.png

46°

38°

Showers

CHANCE OF RAIN: 50%   WIND: S at 10 mph

The weather in NE this weekend isn't that bad.  

I think that is a big break for us!!!

Andrew Luck has been better in outdoors, especially if under 40 degrees, than he has at home in a dome.  I like our chances.

Brady has the best record at home of any current QB in the game. And the Pats are 8-0 this year at the razor.

Weren't the Bengals undefeated at home this year too?

Isn't Brady a .500 QB at home in the playoffs over the last 5 years?

How is that relevent to our current topic? Consider yourself corrected, they didn't have to bench TRich they chose to start Brown with Richardson on spot duty. Since you brought it up, how many weeks was Ridley a healthy scratch?

Really,,,,,,, well I've got I bridge to sell you if you believe they Colts intended to give up a 1st round pick for a RB and then not start him. As for Ridley, he was benched because of ball control issues, the pats didn't give up their number 1 pick in this years draft to then bench him and start their 4th stringer.

Weren't the Bengals undefeated at home this year too?

Isn't Brady a .500 QB at home in the playoffs over the last 5 years?

Cool avatar.

Yes the Bengals were but they also have not won a playoff game in a couple of decades.

Since 2006 when Brady lost his first playoff game after winning his first ten, he has seven total losses. 3 at home, 2 on the road, and 2 at a neutral site (the Super Bowls) so it is pretty even steven.

Pats have a more versatile stable of RBs with Blount the pounder, Ridley the slasher and Vareen who is one of the best third down backs in the league and can go down field as a receiver. It is probably the most dynamic part of their offense.

What you are saying means nothing. I don't care if Vareen knows how to juggle knives while running the ball, if the Pats are averaging only 4.4 a carry, that's what they are averaging. Indy averages 4.3 , they are essentially the same.

I think the team who plays the better 'total football' will win. Not if it rains, or if NE has 3 average RB's v 1 very good one. Or how many PO wins Brady has in 12 years or what colour of Uggs he wears on the day. And I'm pretty sure Tom or Andrew will have more than an incidental outcome on the result. A lot of petty bickering over not a lot. But it has driven at least one noobie Pat out of the rats nest.

What you are saying means nothing. I don't care if Vareen knows how to juggle knives while running the ball, if the Pats are averaging only 4.4 a carry, that's what they are averaging. Indy averages 4.3 , they are essentially the same.

YAC is only one stat related to rushing. If you measure attempts and yards the Pats are the 9th best rushing O. The Colts are 20. It is not even close.

If a teams running game was only evaluated on a simple yards per rush ratio, then I would agree with you, however there is a lot more to evaluate than the base number per rush, which is why the Patriots are ranked 9th in the NFL and the Colts 20th. However that's not my main point, and again this is only my opinion, but I'll say it again, this game won't be won on the arm of either QB, but rather on the legs of the running back that best able to grind out those cold wet first downs.

The two biggest factors that go into the ranking is average per game and total yardage. But the key is attempts. If it takes 40 attemps to get to 120 yards compared to just 20 for another team, it's easy to see that the team running 20 times is more efficient at running the ball.

The Colts have ran significantly less amount of times compared to the Patriots yet still average about the same amount per carry.

YAC is only one stat related to rushing. If you measure attempts and yards the Pats are the 9th best rushing O. The Colts are 20. It is not even close.

Ill do the same comparison I had to do for the other guy.

If a team takes 40 attempts to get 120 yards compared to a team that has 20 attempts to get to 120 yards, who's more efficient running the ball?

The Patriots have rushed more than the Colts, thus giving them more yards. It doesn't however make them more efficient at it. It just means they rush more.

It's like a player in the NBA saying "OOOO I SCORED 40 POINTS IM SO GOOD" but took almost 40 shots to get there. See Carmelo Anthony.

Ill do the same comparison I had to do for the other guy.

If a team takes 40 attempts to get 120 yards compared to a team that has 20 attempts to get to 120 yards, who's more efficient running the ball?

The Patriots have rushed more than the Colts, thus giving them more yards. It doesn't however make them more efficient at it. It just means they rush more.

You do know that if a team rushes the ball 25 times or more a game they win like 90 percent of the time? It is one of the few stats like TOs the effects the outcome of the game the most. It means you are clock controlling and dominating the game and leaving the other team with fewer possession especially when you are averaging more than 4 yards a pop. Pats have been committed to the run all year and even moreso with the inclement weather and it has served them well.

But it has driven at least one noobie Pat out of the rats nest.

Isn't it fun to be dealing with them again, though?

As bad as Pats fans can be (Some. We had, for a long time, a contingent of great Pats fans here) don't forget that Chargers fans and Saints fans are worse.  

Isn't it fun to be dealing with them again, though?

As bad as Pats fans can be (Some. We had, for a long time, a contingent of great Pats fans here) don't forget that Chargers fans and Saints fans are worse.  

Well that is at least two fanbases we are ahead of. Moving on up I hope. ;)

You do know that if a team rushes the ball 25 times or more a game they win like 90 percent of the time? It is one of the few stats like TOs the effects the outcome of the game the most. It means you are clock controlling and dominating the game and leaving the other team with fewer possession especially when you are averaging more than 4 yards a pop. Pats have been committed to the run all year and even moreso with the inclement weather and it has served them well.

That's not true at all. Teams who rush that much in a game typically have a lead built, primarily from passing given the league today. Unlike what the Chiefs should of done, running effectively when leading is vital. Doesn't mean it helped you get there though.

Again, both teams average the same amount per rush with the Colts having significantly less amounts of carries.

That's not true at all. Teams who rush that much in a game typically have a lead built, primarily from passing given the league today. Unlike what the Chiefs should of done, running effectively when leading is vital. Doesn't mean it helped you get there though.

Again, both teams average the same amount per rush with the Colts having significantly less amounts of carries.

Pats rushed a ton the last two games which were close until the fourth quarter. And it was vital in both because the throwing conditions were awful which they will be on Saturday night as well. You can talk about YAC all you want but the Pats are 9th in rushing and the Colts are 20th. The Pats rush it more and have more yards because it is a strength of their team and that will bode well in tough conditions.

judging from the chiefs and the bengals game, the colts aren't really affected by weather. Although we did lose to the bengals, we were already a bad team at that point and weather didn't really make a difference. This game's gonna be another epic and hopefully renew the colts pats rivalry. 

Pats rushed a ton the last two games which were close until the fourth quarter. And it was vital in both because the throwing conditions were awful which they will be on Saturday night as well. You can talk about YAC all you want but the Pats are 9th in rushing and the Colts are 20th. The Pats rush it more and have more yards because it is a strength of their team and that will bode well in tough conditions.

You don't understand the stats behind that ranking at all. Buffalo ranks higher than New England in rushing but does that make them better at? No. Buffalo ran the ball more than the Patriots and actually averaged less yards per carry. Their sheer volume of carrys equated to the high yardage.

And Buffalo running the ball so much should of led to them winning "90 percent of time" since they do it so much right?

Let me do it for you. Buffalo averaged 34 carries a game. And they did NOT win "90 percent of the time". Your theory is completely wrong.

Just because the overall yards are higher, doesn't mean they are better at it. Colts and Patriots are almost dead-even in efficiency.

It comes down to putting pressure on Brady.  He's a very different QB under pressure

That is correct.  When Brady gets pressured he starts whining at the officials and when that doesn't work then every time he doesn't complete a pass he yells at the refs that there was a pass interference and then the refs start throwing the flags.

You don't understand the stats behind that ranking at all. Buffalo ranks higher than New England in rushing but does that make them better at? No. Buffalo ran the ball more than the Patriots and actually averaged less yards per carry. Their sheer volume of carrys equated to the high yardage.

And Buffalo running the ball so much should of lead to them winning "90 percent of time" since they do it so much right?

Just because the overall yards are higher, doesn't mean they are better at it. Colts and Patriots are almost dead-even in efficiency.

I understand it just fine. You want to hang your hat on YAC but that is a narrow view of what encompasses the rush game. That is like only looking at Yards per Completion for a QB. It does tell some of the story but not all of it and can be mis-leading if is just taken as the only measuring stick of a passing attack. 

The Pats have a higher YAC then the Colts and rush it more and have more yardage. That is a better rush game no matter how you slice it and also indicative of it being a major strength for the team. I am not sure how else to tell you that there is a world of difference between being ranked 9 in rushing and being ranked 20.

I understand it just fine. You want to hang your hat on YAC but that is a narrow view of what encompasses the rush game. That is like only looking at Yards per Completion for a QB. It does tell some of the story but not all of it and can be mis-leading if is just taken as the only measuring stick of a passing attack.

The Pats have a higher YAC then the Colts and rush it more and have more yardage. That is a better rush game no matter how you slice it and also indicative of it being a major strength for the team. I am not sure how else to tell you that there is a world of difference between being ranked 9 in rushing and being ranked 20.

LOL no it's not. And no, you dont understand the stats behind it because you just keep listing the ranking without knowing how its achieved. It's the most important factor in rushing. You can run for 170 yards in a blowout loss and only average 3.2 a carry. But go ahead and hang your hat that you out rushed your opponent and ran for 170 yards in a loss!

You really think .1 yards makes a difference? No it doesn't. It's like a QB averaging .1 more touchdowns than another. Hilarious.

Math 101 here.

Like I said the Colts and Patriots are practically even in rushing efficiency.

I really hope not to have a series of injuries like we saw with the Chiefs. After reading about the increased likelihood of injuries in cold weather........and seeing how many were hurt playing indoors........I've really started to think that ALL GAMES should be played inside

The injuries are terrible.  Makes me question myself for watching it

Brady has the best record at home of any current QB in the game. And the Pats are 8-0 this year at the razor.

The Bengals were 8-0 at home this year and had the #4 overall defense in the league, and laid a big fat egg on yesterday. Not gonna lie, the Pats at home are scary, but Indy's youth vs Brady/Belichick scares me more than anything, regardless of where the game's played.

LOL no it's not. And no, you dont understand the stats behind it because you just keep listing the ranking without knowing how its achieved. It's the most important factor in rushing. You can run for 170 yards in a blowout loss and only average 3.2 a carry. But go ahead and hang your hat that you out rushed your opponent and ran for 170 yards in a loss!

You really think .1 yards makes a difference? No it doesn't. It's like a QB averaging .1 more touchdowns than another. Hilarious.

Math 101 here.

Like I said the Colts and Patriots are practically even in rushing efficiency.

Good grief. Who is arguing about efficiency? I never said the Colts rush attack was a dud. We are talking about potency of the rushing attack. The goal of the offense is to gain yards, no? The Pats gained more yards with the same efficiency so that makes them a better rushing team. This really is not that difficult. 

When will people learn that NO TEAM ever has an advantage in the playoffs.  Home field doesn't matter, weather doesn't matter, and most times your roster doesn't even matter.  It's all about which team plays like their lives depend on it. #TRUTH

I dunno...I don't think we make that 28 pt comeback away from home. That was the loudest I've heard that stadium and I'm pretty sure we helped KC have some communication problems. Maybe even forced them to use a time out or two. =)

I dunno...I don't think we make that 28 pt comeback away from home. That was the loudest I've heard that stadium and I'm pretty sure we helped KC have some communication problems. Maybe even forced them to use a time out or two. =)

That explains the timeout after the two minute warning.

Good grief. Who is arguing about efficiency? I never said the Colts rush attack was a dud. We are talking about potency of the rushing attack. The goal of the offense is to gain yards, no? The Pats gained more yards with the same efficiency so that makes them a better rushing team. This really is not that difficult.

Don't think my original reply posted but ill do it again.

The offenses goal is to score points, not get yardage. You seem to think more yardage equates to be being better at it. Not true in the least bit.

Give me your address so I can send you a nice box of kleenex for Saturday night. You have this crazy vision that the Pats will roll over the Colts like they did last year. Will you come back and visit after  you are done crying after Luck rips your team to shreds ?

I am sure of one thing, Luck hasn't even given the weather as much as a thought. He will give his all to win this game. As to who could throw the best deep ball in inclement weather...I like the guy on my side.

In addition, we have 2 NT that weigh in at 320 & 340 and Chapman is getting more experience every game. Thats beef in the middle of the line that even Pats fans can appreciate.

Don't think my original reply posted but ill do it again.

The offenses goal is to score points, not get yardage. You seem to think more yardage equates to be being better at it. Not true in the least bit.

Exactly. Check the NFL box on Monday morning and they list scores...not yardage. Been saying that for years. Defenses that stiffen up in the red zone always look worse when considering yardage.