Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some Love for DHB

OJl

DHB.  I am glad you got benched.  But damn it if you haven't been a great team guy about it.  DHB has been balls to the wall on special teams.  And yesterday DHB had the key block on the TD pass to Donald Brown out of that quad formation screen play.  DHB most likely will not be back next year, but he deserves some love for doing everything he can to help the team despite getting demoted.

Hopefully we can resign him for the league minimum to continue playing on special teams.

I'm almost certain no one will sign him to be a receiver, not after this season.

I agree.  Terrible receiver but he's been awesome as a special teams gunner.  Huge props to him for taking the demotion so well.  

One thing I have noticed is he is a good blocker. Think it might be an idea to move him to TE on a few snaps, may create mismatches? i don't know. 

Plus i'm sure one team will sign him with his speed, plus his hands aren't that bad. Could still be good for about 20/30 catches a season. Only thing is how many drops will he have.

One thing I have noticed is he is a good blocker. Think it might be an idea to move him to TE on a few snaps, may create mismatches? i don't know. 

Plus i'm sure one team will sign him with his speed, plus his hands aren't that bad. Could still be good for about 20/30 catches a season. Only thing is how many drops will he have.

What do you mean his hands aren't that bad, his hands have been his worst attribute. Thats not a good thing for a wr. I think if we kept him for special teams and toss in a few plays for him that are quick slants or short crossing routes, he could be successful but to have him run deep routes and expect him to catch it, thats just unrealistic from what we have seen all season. The fact that Pagano gave him sooooooo long to prove he was bad instead of going to any other wr, that might be enough loyalty for DHB to come back and rebuild from special teams and up instead of trying to prove it from the wr spot. Too much pressure for him I think.

I agree DHB has done a good job since being benched.  Now I am just waiting for Dudeski to chastise everyone for saying something nice about DHB for doing his job.

No need for a wr that can't catch

You weren't disappointed :)

I don't think anyone was saying bring him back as a WR and as far as I know you don't have to be good at catching to gun or block... 

I agree. He's had drops when he was wide open. But when they were using him for those quick outs, he was catching them. I always liked the idea of using him as a TE. He can block as good as Doyle and at least is a good as a threat as him.

I really doubt he'll stick around just to play STs. Someone will give him more than vet min.

I agree. He's had drops when he was wide open. But when they were using him for those quick outs, he was catching them. I always liked the idea of using him as a TE. He can block as good as Doyle and at least is a good as a threat as him.

I really doubt he'll stick around just to play STs. Someone will give him more than vet min.

Agreed, people will fall in love with the physicals and think they can "fix" the hands issue. Much like ourselves really. 

What do you mean his hands aren't that bad, his hands have been his worst attribute. Thats not a good thing for a wr. I think if we kept him for special teams and toss in a few plays for him that are quick slants or short crossing routes, he could be successful but to have him run deep routes and expect him to catch it, thats just unrealistic from what we have seen all season. The fact that Pagano gave him sooooooo long to prove he was bad instead of going to any other wr, that might be enough loyalty for DHB to come back and rebuild from special teams and up instead of trying to prove it from the wr spot. Too much pressure for him I think.

Yes that is true but he has 29 receptions and 1 TD. Got to give him some credit at the very least.

And I think the best way to play him is pass short and let him run, rather than let him run long then catch.

It was always a low risk high reward sort of deal. We didn't pay an over the top amount for him. This was a prove yourself year for him and sadly he didn't but now we know what he is capable of. His occasional drop didn't effect us too badly considering we went 11-5 and we have a playoff win.

Yes that is true but he has 29 receptions and 1 TD. Got to give him some credit at the very least.

And I think the best way to play him is pass short and let him run, rather than let him run long then catch.

It was always a low risk high reward sort of deal. We didn't pay an over the top amount for him. This was a prove yourself year for him and sadly he didn't but now we know what he is capable of. His occasional drop didn't effect us too badly considering we went 11-5 and we have a playoff win.

Are you suggesting using him more as a "scat" back? I mean in the sense of using him in the short passing/screen game and hopefully ramp up the YAC?

Yes low risk and cheap enough pay. I do think a more seasoned OC would have done the short slants and short passes to maximize his talents because in Oakland and now here, he has proven he isn't a deep threat guy becuae his hands/eye coordination doesn't let him succeed well enough but he has been able to catch most of the quick passes or the screens. Idk why we didn't draw up more of those plays for him instead of the long passes that he kept dropping. I would keeep him though for right around league minimun but not much more.

Are you suggesting using him more as a "scat" back? I mean in the sense of using him in the short passing/screen game and hopefully ramp up the YAC?

Yes, if i were Pep that is how i would use him. Think he'd be more successful that way.

Yes low risk and cheap enough pay. I do think a more seasoned OC would have done the short slants and short passes to maximize his talents because in Oakland and now here, he has proven he isn't a deep threat guy becuae his hands/eye coordination doesn't let him succeed well enough but he has been able to catch most of the quick passes or the screens. Idk why we didn't draw up more of those plays for him instead of the long passes that he kept dropping. I would keeep him though for right around league minimun but not much more.

And i think with Pep in his second year he would start doing stuff like this.

One thing i don't get is why he hasn't, the routes I think DHB could run are the routes which would fit in well with his west coast offence imo. And I would probably do the same. It wouldn't hurt to have a semi-proven reciever on the roster. Maybe with Reggie back and Hilton stepping up he could get better numbers and be more productive.

Yes, if i were Pep that is how i would use him. Think he'd be more successful that way.

And i think with Pep in his second year he would start doing stuff like this.

One thing i don't get is why he hasn't, the routes I think DHB could run are the routes which would fit in well with his west coast offence imo. And I would probably do the same. It wouldn't hurt to have a semi-proven reciever on the roster. Maybe with Reggie back and Hilton stepping up he could get better numbers and be more productive.

DHB is done as a WR, at least with the Colts. He doesn't have the agility to be this scat back you think he could be. He's a straight line speed guy who can't catch and even with his speed gets no separation on routes because he has no suddenness in and out of his cuts. As we've seen his best value comes from his special teams play and occasionally lining up as a WR to block.

Honestly if he is on the team next year its worth a shot. He is tall and fast. If he is willing to put in the time, he could turn out to be special. Maybe not, but why not give it a shot?

tall and fast doesn't mean he can play corner. It will never happen

Besides the issue of dropping too many balls (which obviously is important for a return guy), why dont they use him as a kick returner? If nothing else, take the Forrest Gump approach. Have someone catch the ball for him, hand off to him, and say RUN.

Well, he catches with his chest normally, and thats what you do on kickoff returns haha Plus you aren't usually moving when you catch the ball on a kickoff return. I don't see why he couldn't be decent, he has the speed to be one. 

We he will definitely not be catching any interceptions with those hands....lol.....  I like DHB and it is nice to see him helping on special teams as a gunner, it may be hard at this point to switch positions in his career.  I don't want him trying CB against Brady this weekend, he will be dropped next year anyways with the return of Reggie Wayne.  I like the what we got right now DaRick Rogers, Griff Whalen, Lavon Brazil, TY Hilton, and the return of Reggie Wayne.  If DHB signs for cheap I would not mind having him as a veteran back-up utility guy WR, Gunner, etc....

DHB contract this year is worth a maximum of 3 million with performance bonuses this year.....I am pretty sure he has not met those numbers so he will not make the full 3 mill, he has been a great teammate and with a another off season who knows.  He will be making less next year after the year he is having, if he would sign for 1.5 or less next year and maybe give some small performance bonuses I think we should take that chance.  He will improve after more continuity with Andrew and with Pep having him run some different routes.  Rogers though may be the next Brandon Marshall or Alshon Jeffery, that guy is a BEAST.  I am very excited to see him after a full off season with Luck

DHB contract this year is worth a maximum of 3 million with performance bonuses this year.....I am pretty sure he has not met those numbers so he will not make the full 3 mill, he has been a great teammate and with a another off season who knows. He will be making less next year after the year he is having, if he would sign for 1.5 or less next year and maybe give some small performance bonuses I think we should take that chance. He will improve after more continuity with Andrew and with Pep having him run some different routes. Rogers though may be the next Brandon Marshall or Alshon Jeffery, that guy is a BEAST. I am very excited to see him after a full off season with Luck

DHB will not play WR for the Colts again. He is a failed experiment.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Richard Sherman was a WR once upon a time in College.  He turned out to be descent for a converted WR.  

Making that transition in college is quite a bit different than doing it after 5+ years in the NFL.

I was watching the game again last night, and saw DHB on the sideline congratulating people, trying to get them fired up and more. He had stated before that he is happy to be a part of this team, a winning team for the 1st time in his career. It shows up in his attitude as most of y'all have already stated. Surely, we can find work for a player with his speed, attitude, blocking ability, and willingness to do whatever is asked of him. Griggo can sort out the details, surely. Nice thread call,OP.