Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

De'Anthony Thomas declares for the draft.

Not feeling well right  now..here's the link.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/oregon-39-thomas-enter-nfl-022004176--ncaaf.html;_ylt=AwrTWfzDLMpSzA0AzMVNbK5_

He's been listed as going anywhere from 1st to 3rd round..My money's on that Chip Kelly drafts him for the Eagles, since he's already familiar with the system..

He's small, but not as small as Holliday..he' be a great Kick/punt returner, as well as an occasion throw in as a slot receiver, or for end arounds..

I wish he'd come here, but he won't be a Colt..we could use a great returner, but we need a lot more than that...

I wish we could get Kenny Stills from the Saints..I followed him all through college..A bit of a head case, with the hair and tats, had some monir incidents, but he's doing good for NO when he gets a chance to play.

I still would love to have a superstar KR..esp De'Anthony on the Colts..No more of this running out of the end zone 6 yards deep and only getting to the 10-15

He's not a WR. He's a RB/KR.  He's the same size as Chris Rainey.

They have used him at Oregon as a Wideout on occasion, to either clear the field underneath, or to try to get him the ball in open space. But he technically is listed as a RB/KR/PR. He has good hands, so converting to a receiver wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility...I would want him just for his return abilities..Kind of like a bigger, just as fast Holliday from Denver.

Guest TeamLoloJones

They have used him at Oregon as a Wideout on occasion, to either clear the field underneath, or to try to get him the ball in open space. But he technically is listed as a RB/KR/PR. He has good hands, so converting to a receiver wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility...I would want him just for his return abilities..Kind of like a bigger, just as fast Holliday from Denver.

My point was he's not strictly a wideout.  He's probably the next Dexter McCluster.  Play a little RB/WR/KR/PR.  Could be a good draft pick because of his versatility, but I wouldn't use anything higher than a 5th round pick on him.

My point was he's not strictly a wideout. He's probably the next Dexter McCluster. Play a little RB/WR/KR/PR. Could be a good draft pick because of his versatility, but I wouldn't use anything higher than a 5th round pick on him.

His carries in the NFL will be sweeps. I don't see him playing anything but receiver on offense in the NFL.

My point was he's not strictly a wideout.  He's probably the next Dexter McCluster.  Play a little RB/WR/KR/PR.  Could be a good draft pick because of his versatility, but I wouldn't use anything higher than a 5th round pick on him.

I don't see him last past the 3rd round.....    that would make him a top-100 player.

Seems about right.

With his ability to turn nothing into something....   to return kickoffs and punts...    to take a short pass and take it to the house...  with his great raw speed....    he'll likely go much higher than the 5th round.

Austin goes 8th overall...   McClusker goes in the 2nd round....     hard to see Thomas going lower than the 3rd....

At least,   that's how it looks right now....    in 3-4 months,  once we see more from him,  maybe I'll feel different....   but I think he's a special difference maker....   even at his size...

And, by the way,  I don't see Archer getting past the 5th round...     wouldn't surprise me to see him go even a little higher than that.

Just a different point of view....

Guest TeamLoloJones

His carries in the NFL will be sweeps. I don't see him playing anything but receiver on offense in the NFL.

I respectfully disagree.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I don't see him last past the 3rd round.....    that would make him a top-100 player.

Seems about right.

With his ability to turn nothing into something....   to return kickoffs and punts...    to take a short pass and take it to the house...  with his great raw speed....    he'll likely go much higher than the 5th round.

Austin goes 8th overall...   McClusker goes in the 2nd round....     hard to see Thomas going lower than the 3rd....

At least,   that's how it looks right now....    in 3-4 months,  once we see more from him,  maybe I'll feel different....   but I think he's a special difference maker....   even at his size...

And, by the way,  I don't see Archer getting past the 5th round...     wouldn't surprise me to see him go even a little higher than that.

Just a different point of view....

Not really arguing that De'Anthony will be drafted will be drafted that high or low.  He will be a real wildcard during the draft.  I just wouldn't want the Colts to draft him unless he fell to our 5th round pick.

The Jaguars would call him an "offensive weapon."

I think he's worth a 3rd or even a 2nd round pick depending on his combine.

I hope the Colts don't use their 3rd on him, but he's such a weapon that teams could benefit from having him on the field, either in the backfield or in the slot. I see him as the next Darren Sproles.

I would love to have him as a Colt..for the simple reason, is that we haven't had a real breakaway threat at returner, (not even TY), for so many years..With his speed and agility, our field position would improve tremendously..And he's a lot tougher that his size indicates..Just look at the K-State/Oregon Bowl game last year.. one little hole, and he ran it like a sprint, even crossing the finish line as it there were a tape..If you look on the clock, he ran the 94 yards, in just under 10 seconds..His initial burst is unreal...and he's good at reading holes..He was averaging a TD every 9-10 times he'd touch the ball...I know the pro game is different, but he has what you can't teach...

I'd take another (faster and younger) Darren Sproles anytime...

I know we won't get him, I know he'll go first round or early 2nd..and I know we have other holes..but man..to have that kind of an offensive weapon..to our already great team...WOW...

I respectfully disagree.

That's fine. I've seen every college snap he's taken and feel that's where he'd be his best.

Not really arguing that De'Anthony will be drafted will be drafted that high or low.  He will be a real wildcard during the draft.  I just wouldn't want the Colts to draft him unless he fell to our 5th round pick.

I'd be shocked to see him fall past the 3rd, and surprised if he fell past the 2nd. Possibly the most dynamic college player I've ever seen.

I would love to have him as a Colt..for the simple reason, is that we haven't had a real breakaway threat at returner, (not even TY), for so many years..With his speed and agility, our field position would improve tremendously..And he's a lot tougher that his size indicates..Just look at the K-State/Oregon Bowl game last year.. one little hole, and he ran it like a sprint, even crossing the finish line as it there were a tape..If you look on the clock, he ran the 94 yards, in just under 10 seconds..His initial burst is unreal...and he's good at reading holes..He was averaging a TD every 9-10 times he'd touch the ball...I know the pro game is different, but he has what you can't teach...

I'd take another (faster and younger) Darren Sproles anytime...

I know we won't get him, I know he'll go first round or early 2nd..and I know we have other holes..but man..to have that kind of an offensive weapon..to our already great team...WOW...

Sproles really isn't a good comparison, though. He'll never be that thick. He's as good as it gets with speed, elusiveness and vision - if there is a hole he will find it. He needs a creative OC to succeed, and I think he'd be dynamic in the slot.

Sproles really isn't a good comparison, though. He'll never be that thick. He's as good as it gets with speed, elusiveness and vision - if there is a hole he will find it. He needs a creative OC to succeed, and I think he'd be dynamic in the slot.

I agree with you on the size....i think of the comparison is that he's a quick, fast, very versatile play maker, that could do a lot of damage..I could see the Eagles reaching for him at #1, since Kelly was his former coach, and he knows the system to a better degree than most others.

For years I have wanted to Colts to have that explosive KR/PR, where one little mistake is 6 points..If he stays healthy, i think he's going to get 5 TD's or more wherever he goes..in various forms

I agree with you on the size....i think of the comparison is that he's a quick, fast, very versatile play maker, that could do a lot of damage..I could see the Eagles reaching for him at #1, since Kelly was his former coach, and he knows the system to a better degree than most others.

For years I have wanted to Colts to have that explosive KR/PR, where one little mistake is 6 points..If he stays healthy, i think he's going to get 5 TD's or more wherever he goes..in various forms

I'd be pretty surprised if Chip took him in the first given what they have right now. No reason to with Jackson, whom I think he could be a clone of.

Guest TeamLoloJones

That's fine. I've seen every college snap he's taken and feel that's where he'd be his best.

I'd be shocked to see him fall past the 3rd, and surprised if he fell past the 2nd. Possibly the most dynamic college player I've ever seen.

No offense, but I think you are vastly overrating his ability.

No offense, but I think you are vastly overrating his ability.

That's fine. But trust me, when he touches it, you hold your breath. I'm not saying he's the best or most productive, but when he has the ball you know at any second he can take it to the house.

And I don't think I'm overrating him, as I've said I don't think the Colts should draft him. I'm from Oregon, go to all their games at home, and watch them again on TV. I said I had no interest in the team drafting Barner or LaMichael, but would have loved to get Kyle Long or Kiko Alonso. I'd say I can remain fairly objective about players coming into the league even if I'm a fan of them.

I'd be pretty surprised if Chip took him in the first given what they have right now. No reason to with Jackson, whom I think he could be a clone of.

I see your point, however, Jackson is polished enough as a receiver and route runner to take the outside, and throw De'Anthony in the slot..or to send De'Anthony deep to clear out underneath routes for the TE's against linebackers....

What would be scary is having them both line up on each side..there aren't many corners and safeties at all, that have that world class speed...just have them both run fly patterns, and the underneath would be open for Shady and the other backs/TE's

I hate saying this, because I can't stand the guy,but when he gets the ball in his hands, he's a less arrogant Deion Sanders..that's how dangerous he is when he touches the ball...

I live on the west coast, and have been following Oregon, since I saw Mariota's first game, and I think that kid's going to be a major superstar QB, as long as he doesn't get hurt..I did want Barner though, but in a few years, the back that everyone is going to want is Tyner...for a freshman, that kid has great talent and size...

Thomas is a athletic freak...he makes great plays out of nothing..Sure, because of his size he gets stopped, everyone any size does..but there are few that strike the fear of scoring everytime he touches the ball like "The Black Mamba" (and not Kobe Bryant)

Oh, and I'd like the African DB...(Can never remember his name) for next years draft for the Colts..he's a baller

I see your point, however, Jackson is polished enough as a receiver and route runner to take the outside, and throw De'Anthony in the slot..or to send De'Anthony deep to clear out underneath routes for the TE's against linebackers....

What would be scary is having them both line up on each side..there aren't many corners and safeties at all, that have that world class speed...just have them both run fly patterns, and the underneath would be open for Shady and the other backs/TE's

I hate saying this, because I can't stand the guy,but when he gets the ball in his hands, he's a less arrogant Deion Sanders..that's how dangerous he is when he touches the ball...

I live on the west coast, and have been following Oregon, since I saw Mariota's first game, and I think that kid's going to be a major superstar QB, as long as he doesn't get hurt..I did want Barner though, but in a few years, the back that everyone is going to want is Tyner...for a freshman, that kid has great talent and size...

Thomas is a athletic freak...he makes great plays out of nothing..Sure, because of his size he gets stopped, everyone any size does..but there are few that strike the fear of scoring everytime he touches the ball like "The Black Mamba" (and not Kobe Bryant)

Oh, and I'd like the African DB...(Can never remember his name) for next years draft for the Colts..he's a baller

I just think that if they went after a WR it should be a possession guy with size, though they do have two very good TEs for that.

The CB you're looking for is Ifo Ekpre-Olomu. He's going to be a stuf in the NFL - would have been a first rd. pick this year. Great coverage skills, physicality and tackling ability. Much like Davis.