Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Mac and this defense....

bluephantom87

A lot of money was spent on this defense and it is STILL subpar. You take away Mathis and it REALLY would be bad as far as getting to opposing qbs. Our second best player on defense is Freeman; past that a toss up between Davis (who looked hurt yesterday) Redding or Bethea who ALL were on the roster BEFORE the offseason speading. That means one or two things: a bad defensive scheme from a dc that's been fired a couple of times before OR money spent on NON-playmakers. I THOUGHT with Chuck as hc we would see an aggressive attacking style defense that would overide Greg when needed due to Greg's past tendency as dc to run a "vanilla" 3-4 scheme. Yes the Colts won yesterday but they made Alex Smith look like the second coming of Dan Marino. (which they have a lot of qbs this year) Last year was a free pass on defense because they didn't have the personnel to run the 3-4 and Chuck battled cancer but upon further review this defense is STILL hit and miss.

And yet you all CONTINUE to complain, just don't understand it. Certain players weren't 100% (Toler being the obvious one). Does not matter how much you give up or how many blown coverages we have. They come through when we need them. Stop looking at what we don't have & look at what we do have

This coaching staff has installed a strong level of faith in this team. No other team (imo) could've did what we did yesterday. Most teams would've took their starters out or just flat out given up

The bad thing is that the defense will probably be turned over for the 3rd straight year next year.

Who? We may not re-sign Fili and Mathews. They should let Angerer walk and re-sign Vontae. Yes, we need a pass rusher, who doesn't? We hope it's Werner.

How would it be turned over?

Before this game out defense had been playing lights out. I don't get some people. We have plenty of talent to be a good defense. Maybe not a Seattle defense. But a defense that will win us games. Sometimes blow outs and miscues happen. We are banged up even if the guys are playing.

There is room for improvement and then there are those that are never happy.

And yet you all CONTINUE to complain, just don't understand it. Certain players weren't 100% (Toler being the obvious one). Does not matter how much you give up or how many blown coverages we have. They come through when we need them. Stop looking at what we don't have & look at what we do have

This coaching staff has installed a strong level of faith in this team. No other team (imo) could've did what we did yesterday. Most teams would've took their starters out or just flat out given up

Ok... Let's do this. If you voice concerns about your team that's what it is. I'm NOT complaining because the Colts did WIN the game but if they come out like that against the Pats or Broncos it will be a long day period! At the end of the day the ULTIMATE plan is to win it all. What we DO have is what was drafted or brought in through FA either way the players are PAID well to do a JOB just like the coaching staff. So in a playoff game where there is no tomorrow you say MOST coaches would have pulled or players would have GIVEN up... then guess what? Those are the ones you DON'T need.

Ok... Let's do this. If you voice concerns about your team that's what it is. I'm NOT complaining because the Colts did WIN the game but if they come out like that against the Pats or Broncos it will be a long day period! At the end of the day the ULTIMATE plan is to win it all. What we DO have is what was drafted or brought in through FA either way the players are PAID well to do a JOB just like the coaching staff. So in a playoff game where there is no tomorrow you say MOST coaches would have pulled or players would have GIVEN up... then guess what? Those are the ones you DON'T need.

But you're blaming Manusky. How can you call his defense "vanilla" when he clearly blitzed numerous times. Then when a play goes wrong, people are quick to blame the coaches

So I suppose Bethea missing Alex Smith when he had him dead to rights on that safety blitz is Manusky fault right? Bethea missing Alex Smith multiple times in one game is Manusky fault right?

I don't care how good your D is, or who you are playing... if you opponent's O is given a free pass to use illegal picks and blatant holds whenever they want (in the first half, anyway)... you're going to look a ton worse for it.

I'm not ecstatic about the first half. But Manusky seems to be VERY good at halftime adjustments. There is no coming back from 38-10 down without the D getting into beast mode for the rest of the game.

But you're blaming Manusky. How can you call his defense "vanilla" when he clearly blitzed numerous times. Then when a play goes wrong, people are quick to blame the coaches

So I suppose Bethea missing Alex Smith when he had him dead to rights on that safety blitz is Manusky fault right? Bethea missing Alex Smith multiple times in one game is Manusky fault right?

:facepalm:  The topic of my post was the money spent on defense in the offseason and it STILL being hit or miss with Mathis basically supplying the pressure on opposing qbs. I said that either means the scheme or LACK of playmakers brought in and that Greg's PAST tendency was to run a "vanilla" 3-4 scheme which led to his past dismissals as dc is what I said in a nutshell. Coaches put in the gameplan good or bad and players execute SOME better than others. That's why some coaches are legends and some players are HOFs.

the problem clearly is pass rush , week after week opposing qbs have a clean pocket with multiple seconds to throw the colts can't get pressure up the middle and walden cant pass rush mathis is our only hope to get pressure.  It seems like at times even when the colts blitz it gets picked up more than not and the opposing qb  still has a clean pocket.

:facepalm: The topic of my post was the money spent on defense in the offseason and it STILL being hit or miss with Mathis basically supplying the pressure on opposing qbs. I said that either means the scheme or LACK of playmakers brought in and that Greg's PAST tendency was to run a "vanilla" 3-4 scheme which led to his past dismissals as dc is what I said in a nutshell. Coaches put in the gameplan good or bad and players execute SOME better than others. That's why some coaches are legends and some players are HOFs.

And I'm telling you there's nothing vanilla about his scheme here so he won't be getting dismissed here. Players just aren't executing. This is the same defense that was #1 (I believe that's what they said on NFL network) #1 in scoring defense over the final 3 weeks of the regular season. The talent & potential is there. It's mental mistakes that kill us

The scheme is fine & will only get better as time goes on. But my point is don't make a thread complaining everytime we lose or barely lose but rejoice when we win failing to realize nothing about the scheme changed. But the players finally woke up & stopped making mental poo poo's

:facepalm: The topic of my post was the money spent on defense in the offseason and it STILL being hit or miss with Mathis basically supplying the pressure on opposing qbs. I said that either means the scheme or LACK of playmakers brought in and that Greg's PAST tendency was to run a "vanilla" 3-4 scheme which led to his past dismissals as dc is what I said in a nutshell. Coaches put in the gameplan good or bad and players execute SOME better than others. That's why some coaches are legends and some players are HOFs.

Not sure where your attitude about "money spent" comes from. Grigs played moneyball throughout the roster this past offseason, and while a few guys may have underperformed their contracts, none involved breaking the bank.

Grigs knew the D had to get better and more consistent than 2013, and he accomplished that by spreading resources throughout as best he could. There is still plenty of room to improve, but the slogan is "building the monster"... not "already built monster".

As I said in another thread, Grig's first season involved simply doing what he could to field the best team he could, this year was about solidifying "the floor", and I predict this coming offseason will be about working on raising "the ceiling".

And I'm telling you there's nothing vanilla about his scheme here so he won't be getting dismissed here. Players just aren't executing. This is the same defense that was #1 (I believe that's what they said on NFL network) #1 in scoring defense over the final 3 weeks of the regular season. The talent & potential is there. It's mental mistakes that kill us

The scheme is fine & will only get better as time goes on. But my point is don't make a thread complaining everytime we lose or barely lose but rejoice when we win failing to realize nothing about the scheme changed. But the players finally woke up & stopped making mental poo poo's

We played scrubs the last 3 weeks of the season beside kc

:facepalm:  The topic of my post was the money spent on defense in the offseason and it STILL being hit or miss with Mathis basically supplying the pressure on opposing qbs. I said that either means the scheme or LACK of playmakers brought in and that Greg's PAST tendency was to run a "vanilla" 3-4 scheme which led to his past dismissals as dc is what I said in a nutshell. Coaches put in the gameplan good or bad and players execute SOME better than others. That's why some coaches are legends and some players are HOFs.

You can't build a Cadillac if the only parts for sale are for a Volkswagon.  You or no one else can build a defense like you are wanting in 1-2 or even 3 years. Lol we spent some money but it still isn't what I thought it would be. You better lower your expectations some, or you will be on here crying about this again next year. It takes time to build a team as good as we have now, you better enjoy it now, cause we got some big contracts coming up in the next couple of years. So the draft is where most of our talent will be coming from in the very near future. I think Greg has done a great job with what he has to work with.

Wouldn't say the Jags are scurbs since we usually split with them 1-1. So if we split with scrubs (even in the Peyton Manning era) what does that make us?

The talent level of the jags from the Manning era to now is very laughable the jags use to be decent but now they are turrible

You can't build a Cadillac if the only parts for sale are for a Volkswagon. You or no one else can build a defense like you are wanting in 1-2 or even 3 years. Lol we spent some money but it still isn't what I thought it would be. You better lower your expectations some, or you will be on here crying about this again next year. It takes time to build a team as good as we have now, you better enjoy it now, cause we got some big contracts coming up in the next couple of years. So the draft is where most of our talent will be coming from in the very near future. I think Greg has done a great job with what he has to work with.

Seattle did in 2 years lol

Last I checked we WON the game so my thread wasn't started cause we lost (not my style) and I actually AGREED with you about players executing but you're so busy trying to defend Greg like I'm calling for his head. I even stated that's why I liked Chuck as hc in CASE he needed to step in if Greg fell into his PAST mo of being "vanilla" in his schemes. May not be needed who knows. Greg could've learned from past experiences but to point out the last 3wks is pointless cause the only WINNING team was KC and they end up 2-6 in their last 8 games and TKnight24 I can post WHENEVER I want to just like you can or anybody else who wants to talk Colts football.

Before this game out defense had been playing lights out. I don't get some people. We have plenty of talent to be a good defense. Maybe not a Seattle defense. But a defense that will win us games. Sometimes blow outs and miscues happen. We are banged up even if the guys are playing.

There is room for improvement and then there are those that are never happy.

Yep always those that expect perfection and no mistakes to ever be made.I think our biggest problem lies in just been inconsistent in how we play Defense. We have clearly shown the ability to play good defense as you said. We just seem to be on and off with it. We just need to learn to be consistent in how we play D.

Personally, I am not a big Manusky fan. Other than the Denver game, he has been relatively bad at the initial game planning. HOWEVER; to his credit, he is fantastic at making 2nd half adjustments.