Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Corners!

Ken S.

Call me crazy, but I don't think our entire defense played bad the first half yesterday. I think the corners made it look that way. Obviously, Davis and Toler aren't 100% and I don't think, well, I know we can't take that secondary into Denver or New England. I'm pretty sure Toler won't(or shouldn't) be out there next week, but what do you guys think about Davis being out there? 

They look pretty banged up...if we don't get after the qb like we did against KC and they have time...we will lose our man. We can cover that first 5-10 yds but if they have time they will torch us after that. We would be better off against Denver. They have more of those timing routes...NE's rbs out of the backfield and slot guys will eat us up 10yds at a time.

I think our LB's(McNary) can cover either teams rb's coming out of the backfield, judging by how he played yesterday. As far as slot guys, I don't think he can hang with Wes Welker(who can), but I think he'll do pretty good against Elderman or Amedola. I like man coverage against the Pats, I just don't like it playing against Denver. I'm pretty sure Peyton was watching this game and he's planning something to eat up this man coverage with our corners hurt.

Toler is wildly inconsistent when healthy. He either shuts his man down, or can't cover a pot with it's lid. I really don't care to see him back. He reminds me of Tim Jennings under us. He made big plays. But for every 1 big play he made there were 25 awful ones. 

Tim Jennings made 1 big play? That's way too much credit

Tim Jennings made 1 big play? That's way too much credit

No. He did make the occasional play. And it seemed he made them when we needed them most. He made several game sealing plays in the tumultuous 2008 season. But he was awful far more than he was good so what good he did do is overshadowed by the awful.  

They look pretty banged up...if we don't get after the qb like we did against KC and they have time...we will lose our man. We can cover that first 5-10 yds but if they have time they will torch us after that. We would be better off against Denver. They have more of those timing routes...NE's rbs out of the backfield and slot guys will eat us up 10yds at a time.

I thought Davis looked very good in the 2nd half -- he seemed a little bit slow in 1st half, but after that facemask penalty I thought he was very solid.

I thought Davis looked very good in the 2nd half -- he seemed a little bit slow in 1st half, but after that facemask penalty I thought he was very solid.

IDK...he still seemed gimpy but toughed it out. It didn't hurt that Avery went down and changed the dynamics of the offense...with no worries about someone getting behind the defense the corners could play tighter knowing our safeties didn't have to account for that.

Free agent corners.......

Charles Tillman

Brent Grimes

Aqib Talib

Tim Jennings

Tarell Brown

Sam Shields

Corey Graham

Alterraun Verner

Brandon Browner

DeAngelo Hall

Nolan Carroll

Decent list. Only half fit our scheme... Don't see Toler being part of this team next year.

So we eat money on salary cap and spend big money on one of these corners.. probably not. 

I think our LB's(McNary) can cover either teams rb's coming out of the backfield, judging by how he played yesterday. As far as slot guys, I don't think he can hang with Wes Welker(who can), but I think he'll do pretty good against Elderman or Amedola. I like man coverage against the Pats, I just don't like it playing against Denver. I'm pretty sure Peyton was watching this game and he's planning something to eat up this man coverage with our corners hurt.

If you can't hang with Welker, I think you do far worst against Edelman and Amendola because of both being quicker and faster, and more explosive in and out of their breaks.

If you can't hang with Welker, I think you do far worst against Edelman and Amendola because of both being quicker and faster, and more explosive in and out of their breaks.

True about the better quickness and speed, but I think Welker is far better at being shifty with his routes. 100+ receptions for how many consecutive years proves nobody has figured stopping him out. He finds a way to move the chains.

Free agent corners.......

Charles Tillman

Brent Grimes

Aqib Talib

Tim Jennings

Tarell Brown

Sam Shields

Corey Graham

Alterraun Verner

Brandon Browner

DeAngelo Hall

Nolan Carroll

Decent list. Only half fit our scheme... Don't see Toler being part of this team next year.

I like brent grimes he plays very well in coverage and he's very consistent

Verner would be my first choice.......Maybe Talib but he would be on a short leash

I don't think Verner would fit our system.... He's not really a press corner. He'd be a perfect nickle corner, we already have butler locked up for another year. Nonetheless he would be an upgrade over Toler.