Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

bethea saved the game

CR91

Bethea was kind of terrible today I think

Kind of terrible is putting it nicely. He was horrendous in the 1st half (Bethea jumped on Bowe instead providing the help for Avery). Thank goodness the Chefs called timeout on that 4th and 11. Bethea had cheated all the way up to the line of scrimmage and Bowe was about to manhandle Davis on a slant pattern.

Kind of terrible is putting it nicely. He was horrendous in the 1st half (Bethea jumped on Bowe instead providing the help for Avery). Thank goodness the Chefs called timeout on that 4th and 11. Bethea had cheated all the way up to the line of scrimmage and Bowe was about to manhandle Davis on a slant pattern.

I hope we sign someone to replace  Bethea this year. He hasn't played very good all year.

Landry's the FS.  Wasn't that his responsibility to be the single high safety on that play?  I thought Bethea was responsible for the flat on the particular play.  I could be wrong.  They could have been playing halves and Bethea blew coverage on his half.

A lot of blown coverages have been incorrectly attributed to Bethea instead of Landry. 

Landry's the FS. Wasn't that his responsibility to be the single high safety on that play? I thought Bethea was responsible for the flat on the particular play. I could be wrong. They could have been playing halves and Bethea blew coverage on his half.

A lot of blown coverages have been incorrectly attributed to Bethea instead of Landry.

It was 2 deep and he got looked off so hard. I could be wrong but I think it was 2deep.

Lots of players made huge plays today but that play by Bethea was about the only the defense did in the first half and how big was it by the end of the game.  Almost as big as Andy Reid not knowing how to use timeouts.  Jim Caldwell thinks that was some strange use of timeouts. 

Landry's the FS.  Wasn't that his responsibility to be the single high safety on that play?  I thought Bethea was responsible for the flat on the particular play.  I could be wrong.  They could have been playing halves and Bethea blew coverage on his half.

I could be wrong, but I thought on that play they were playing halves. If not, then Landry really blew it after Toler blew it. It is possible that Bethea could have been playing the flats, though deep (which would explain his jumping Bowe, who was being covered by McNary). I don't see any other reason that Bethea would have jumped Bowe as he blatantly let Avery go on by him.......Landry having the deep would explain that. 

I think that they were jumping the routes and cheating towards the line because of the Chiefs' game film and their tendencies. They aren't a Daryle Lamonica "Mad Bomber" style of "O" so the majority of the time it would payoff and Bethea would be in better position to make the tackle. They made adjustments to their game plan after Charles went out and passed a lot more... BTW, their route jumping, etc has made us a lot of plays this year and without risks, we're just another "bend don't break" defense...