Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown

MTC

What a great past few games Donald Brown has had for us. He came up big today with both a rushing and receiving touchdown plus the accidental assist to Luck for the TD. There is no reason in my mind why he shouldn't receive a new contract extension this offseason. He definitely deserved it.

I'm beginning to warm up to Brown..He's definitely been working hard, and playing like he's got something to prove, and is doing just that...I just wish he could block better..but that can be worked on...

AC17..you get a like for your post...i ran out a while ago...

What a great past few games Donald Brown has had for us. He came up big today with both a rushing and receiving touchdown plus the accidental assist to Luck for the TD. There is no reason in my mind why he shouldn't receive a new contract extension this offseason. He definitely deserved it.

If this is his final year with the Colts....Donald Brown just played his greatest game......the fumble was a helmet hit on the ball by Berry.//a fundamentally sound play..

....But he was the pass catching factor I'd always hoped he could be and he oddly now runs as hard as anyone,...

Chuck and Pep have learned to trust him..and that WR screen TD 3 WRs bunched up blocking for Brown was a page out of the Eagles playbook..

Good creative call by Pep...

Should we thank Grigson for trading for Richardson?  I feel like that kind of lit a flame under Brown and made him run with determination

I diont think that's true AC...

Brown went to special teams when we got Trent...

He has always done well in limited carries...and. fpr a guy who's 205 pounds or so, he's a far better blocker than people here say

Brown is going to draw interest elsewhere. So if we want to keep him, I think we're going to have to make a true commitment to him. we're going to have to pay him like a starter and play him like a starter. 

Thing is, we already paid a price to do the same thing to Richardson. So do we eat the Richardson trade and hitch the cart to Brown, or do we stick to the investment we've made to Richardson and let Brown walk?

I don't honestly see Brown sticking around to squabble for PT with Richardson.

Brown is going to draw interest elsewhere. So if we want to keep him, I think we're going to have to make a true commitment to him. we're going to have to pay him like a starter and play him like a starter.

Thing is, we already paid a price to do the same thing to Richardson. So do we eat the Richardson trade and hitch the cart to Brown, or do we stick to the investment we've made to Richardson and let Brown walk?

Honestly Why do you think Trent will give brown pt fits? Not hating but brown just plays better with this personnel

He should be our starting back next season. Hes earned it.

I want to see him on the field exclusively with the game still in the balance. Let trent ice the game, let DB ball.

I dont think we go into next season with a starting RB.....at least if Im the coach thats how I would do it.......I know some will say Richardson......Some will say Ballard......Richardson has not earned it......Ballard is coming off injury......Not sure Brown can carry the load...Bradshaw.....let go (if the Colts really thought he would stay healthy he would have been given a longer term deal.....1 year deal to see if he could stay healthy and contribute on the field over the course of a whole season.....could not do it.....so probably gone)

There was an interview on Indy Star with DB and he says he wants to be here next season and loves the city. I think he would accept any offer.

Honestly Why do you think Trent will give brown pt fits? Not hating but brown just plays better with this personnel

He has this season, yes. But that's because Richardson was tossed into the fold in week 3. With a full offseason and TC for Richardson the results WILL be better.

These guys aren't going to be wanting to take turns splitting PT. It's nice to dream about this unstoppable two headed running tandem, but it's not entirely practical. If you have two mediocre backs, sure. But when Brown can run for 100 yards a game behind a good line, and Richardson can do the same, they likely won't be ok with splitting it all.

And then you stop and think we traded a 1st round pick for a guy we want to play part time? (Not to mention that would be a waste of Brown, who was also spent a 1st round pick on.)

There was an interview on Indy Star with DB and he says he wants to be here next season and loves the city. I think he would accept any offer.

Unfortunately, we've seen similar comments made in all 31 other cities and it hardly ever seems to hold up. If a team like New England came along and offered Brown significantly more, and said he didn't have to split the load with someone, I'm pretty sure he'd give serious, serious consideration to taking the deal.

Indy has T Rich for 2 m per for the next 3 years I think...    very nice digits.

Brown will command NOWHERE near that over a long term deal.    Indy will bring him back with a very nice signing bonus and the rest will be par for the course.

DB has had a GREAT season - he will get a big pay day from some team next season  wish he would end up back here!

He's done a good job in limited action BUT 537 yards and 6 tds is not a great season deserving of a big contract. Brown has not gotten more then 14 carries in any game this season, there's a reason for that. 

He's done a good job in limited action BUT 537 yards and 6 tds is not a great season deserving of a big contract. Brown has not gotten more then 14 carries in any game this season, there's a reason for that. 

The reason is because he was under utilized the entire first half of the season!

ATT    102

YDS  537

AVG  5.3

LNG 51

TD    6

REC 20

YDS  7.9

LNG 33

FUM 0

Based on his limited play those stats equate to a great season in my book!

They didn't trade a 1st round pick to give Brown a big contract to be a starter. Ballard and Richardson will be starting next year BUT I really don't see teams going nuts to sign Donald Brown. Lets be honest. 

I just don't see the Colts offering him a deal..

Chuck and Pep really don't like his style of running.....

They've brought in 2 guys to replace him.....Trent and Bradshaw..

With Vic Ballard comes back.......they'll ride with Trent...He's our s at a low price for 3 more years, I believe..

I hope he goes to the NFC...don't want to see him with Houston or Denver from a Colts standpioint

Indy has T Rich for 2 m per for the next 3 years I think...    very nice digits.

Brown will command NOWHERE near that over a long term deal.    Indy will bring him back with a very nice signing bonus and the rest will be par for the course.

I think Brown will deserve something at least in the 3-3.5 million per year range (similar to Sproles or Pierre Thomas).. but less then the $4M/year Reggie Bush got.

Unfortunately, we've seen similar comments made in all 31 other cities and it hardly ever seems to hold up. If a team like New England came along and offered Brown significantly more, and said he didn't have to split the load with someone, I'm pretty sure he'd give serious, serious consideration to taking the deal.

NE? That's an ugly thought, John...

The reason is because he was under utilized the entire first half of the season!

ATT    102

YDS  537

AVG  5.3

LNG 51

TD    6

REC 20

YDS  7.9

LNG 33

FUM 0

Based on his limited play those stats equate to a great season in my book!

he gets limited number of snaps because he is not a back that can handle the workload and he's terrible in pass protection. I look at actual numbers a player has at the end of the season and don't equate 500 yds rushing to a great season. He's been with the Colts since 2009 and yet we still sign FA backs, trade a 1st rd pick for another RB so I'm guessing the coaches know DB is not a full time back

hehe..  you are out of your mind... 

..   and it's all good...    just diff opinion.

I think Brown will deserve something at least in the 3-3.5 million per year range (similar to Sproles or Pierre Thomas).. but less then the $4M/year Reggie Bush got.

he gets limited number of snaps because he is not a back that can handle the workload and he's terrible in pass protection. I look at actual numbers a player has at the end of the season and don't equate 500 yds rushing to a great season. He's been with the Colts since 2009 and yet we still sign FA backs, trade a 1st rd pick for another RB so I'm guessing the coaches know DB is not a full time back

I diont think that's true AC...

Brown went to special teams when we got Trent...

He has always done well in limited carries...and. fpr a guy who's 205 pounds or so, he's a far better blocker than people here say

Right on, OldUncleMark -- and 5toolplayer, you are wrong when you say he is 'terrible in pass protection' -- Brown had 2 bad plays all season:  (1) when Luck got sacked to end the game against Miami and (2) his fumble last night.  Luck was going to get sacked on that play regardless -- yes, Donald screwed up a bit there, but there were 2 guys on Luck, even if Brown made that block Luck still gets hit.

Other than that play, which got blown way out of proportion on these boards, he is fine in pass protection and as a blocker.  Because he got highlighted on that play and the youtube video "darnit Donald" with Peyton, he gets a lot of flack as a blocker.  Go ahead and look at all the other plays he has been on besides those 2 and I guarantee you will find that he is just fine at blocking.

I just don't see the Colts offering him a deal..

Chuck and Pep really don't like his style of running.....

They've brought in 2 guys to replace him.....Trent and Bradshaw..

With Vic Ballard comes back.......they'll ride with Trent...He's our s at a low price for 3 more years, I believe..

I hope he goes to the NFC...don't want to see him with Houston or Denver from a Colts standpioint

That statement is pure speculation.  Unless you heard it right from there mouth, but I don't like that statement nor do I think it is true.  I would think they like the RB that gives them the best chance to win.  That RB right now is Brown.