Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Do You Know If Luck Is Gonna Be A Superstar In The Nfl? (Merge)

what if he is gonna be a bust? do you base your opinion on what the media says about him? the way he performed in college?

what is it that makes you think that Andrew Luck is gonna be Jesus the savior of one lucky NFL team?

Many QB's that were superstars in college went on to the NFL only to find themselves never being able to adjust to the league. Many of them became major busts and many became injury prone etc.

So what is it that makes you want to draft him?

IN THE NFL DRAFT SECTION NEXT TIME...

Now about the question, he has all the skills of a superstar, plus he has great mobility. He has a great arm and accuracy. The guys he work with are horrible, but somehow they're one of the best teams in the nation. He has every skill a NFL superstar needs... he reminds me exactly of Rodgers. Plus, most of the QBs these days aren't busts.

Edited by Andy246

Wrong section

But he has all the traits that scouts and NFL GMs love. So you shouldn't be surprised that everyone in the media is salivating over him.

He's smart, makes quick decisions and has a level head (he isn't a head case like Jamarcus Russel or Ryan Leaf)

Now there have been other "can't miss QBs" that have all these traits and still been busts, so only time will tell. But Luck is worth the risk at this time because he hasn't shown any signs that he is more risk than potential reward.

Edited by theking213

Nobody can tell one player is 100% gonna become a HOF or a bust. So far most experts believe it is gonna be a "sure thing", and there has not been such a level of consensus since I don't know when. Peyton entering the draft was receiving more doubt than this kid.

Now about the question, he has all the skills of a superstar, plus he has great mobility. He has a great arm and accuracy. The guys he work with are horrible, but somehow they're one of the best teams in the nation. He has every skill a NFL superstar needs... he reminds me exactly of Rodgers. Plus, most of the QBs these days aren't busts.

That is so wrong it's funny. lol OT Jonathon Martin and OG David DeCastro are both projected as a top 12 picks. TE Coby Fleener is one of the top 5 TE prospects. Their rushing game averages close to or over 200 yards per game. They ran for over 400 yards in their last game. Oh yeah and Stanford has the top ranked defense (at least last time I checked) in the Pac-12.

That is so wrong it's funny. lol OT Jonathon Martin and OG David DeCastro are both projected as a top 12 picks. TE Coby Fleener is one of the top 5 TE prospects. Their rushing game averages close to or over 200 yards per game. They ran for over 400 yards in their last game. Oh yeah and Stanford has the top ranked defense (at least last time I checked) in the Pac-12.

I ran out of +1's lol, otherwise I would have given you one

Luck has all the tools of a successful NFL QB. Height, arm strength, decision making, accuracy, IQ. He would have been the highest drafted QB even last year had he decided to enter. Almost every expert has deemed Luck the next great QB, and usually guys who become eventual busts in the NFL face much more contrasting opinions from experts around the league. Luck is the safest bet since Manning.

Every team, including the Colts have their scouts. Some subscribe to professional third party scouting services while teams like Steelers, Packers, Colts, Patriots and maybe a few more have heavy internal scouting budgets. The scouts sit together with the GM and provide their evaluations and advice. The GM then evaluates it and sees if the person is a good fit for the organization and team and if he can help the team as quickly as possible and makes a call.

Like with Peyton vs Leaf, I am sure the Colts went through the process as well - workouts, interviews, college evaluation, work ethic evaluation, talking to the college coaches etc. before pulling the trigger on Peyton. The word is that Mora and Irsay were more vocal about Peyton than Polian was and Polian did not find any reason to differ based on his and the scouts' evaluation either at the end and Peyton was drafted. The process for evaluating Luck will be no different, IMO.

Irsay has been a great owner to pay for an extensive scouting department for being such a middle market team but we need it more than other teams since our bread and butter is the draft more than free agency.

Every team, including the Colts have their scouts. Some subscribe to professional third party scouting services while teams like Steelers, Packers, Colts, Patriots and maybe a few more have heavy internal scouting budgets. The scouts sit together with the GM and provide their evaluations and advice. The GM then evaluates it and sees if the person is a good fit for the organization and team and if he can help the team as quickly as possible and makes a call.

Like with Peyton vs Leaf, I am sure the Colts went through the process as well - workouts, interviews, college evaluation, work ethic evaluation, talking to the college coaches etc. before pulling the trigger on Peyton. The word is that Mora and Irsay were more vocal about Peyton than Polian was and Polian did not find any reason to differ based on his and the scouts' evaluation either at the end and Peyton was drafted. The process for evaluating Luck will be no different, IMO.

Irsay has been a great owner to pay for an extensive scouting department for being such a middle market team but we need it more than other teams since our bread and butter is the draft more than free agency.

Very much agree with this. The Colts FO will do their own thorough evaluations of several QBs at the end of the season. They will extensively evaluate each prospect at many different levels long before coming to any decision and what the media or draft experts think will not play a role in the decision..at least not a very big one. Things that will play a major role in the decision, imo, are Peyton's health (which will dictate how pressing the need is at QB), Painter's progress (again will dictate how pressing the QB need is, though to a lesser degree than Peyton's health), how they grade each of the prospects and also the difference in grades between the prospects. If they grade Luck as an A+ but they consider say Barkley as a very strong A then they may take the solid A QB along with the wealth of draft picks they get for passing on Luck.

Bottom line is there are a lot of factors that will play into the decision and ultimately I'm sure they will do what they feel gives the team the very best overall value.

Im talking about his receivers and his running back. The only guy you can say is good is Chris Owusu, who's not that great, he's only projected to go in the 7th round. His O-line is good, I;m not arguing that, but Stanford has a terrible running back, and really no receivers, but he still puts up these numbers on offense. You can't laugh at that, plus I'm a Colts expert, not a college expert

Im talking about his receivers and his running back. The only guy you can say is good is Chris Owusu, who's not that great, he's only projected to go in the 7th round. His O-line is good, I;m not arguing that, but Stanford has a terrible running back, and really no receivers, but he still puts up these numbers on offense. You can't laugh at that, plus I'm a Colts expert, not a college expert

Proclaiming yourself to be a Colts expert is funny.

Proclaiming yourself to be a Colts expert is funny.

lol you love to hate me don't ya... what you're saying I'm not? You may not like it, but that's the title numerous online websites and newspapers give me

Edited by Andy246

I didn't know there was a such thing as a Colts expert!!

lol you love to hate me don't ya... what you're saying I'm not? You may not like it, but that's the title numerous online websites and newspapers give me

Andy - grow up. I don't hate you at all. I don't know you personally so how could I possibly hate you. But there are people on this board that I consider to be very educated on all things Colts and the NFL and they don't feel the need to validate themselves by saying they are experts. Even if you were an expert, proclaiming yourself that is just hysterical.

Andy - grow up. I don't hate you at all. I don't know you personally so how could I possibly hate you. But there are people on this board that I consider to be very educated on all things Colts and the NFL and they don't feel the need to validate themselves by saying they are experts. Even if you were an expert, proclaiming yourself that is just hysterical.

I was just trying to prove a point that I don't know that much about college, but more about the Colts... that's all. I was just saying the love to hate me thing because it was sort of a joke, because whenever you reply to me it's always in a negative way, so I was just poking fun at that... I don't take any of these comments seriously because it's just the internet, so i know you don't hate me.

I was just trying to prove a point that I don't know that much about college, but more about the Colts... that's all. I was just saying the love to hate me thing because it was sort of a joke, because whenever you reply to me it's always in a negative way, so I was just poking fun at that... I don't take any of these comments seriously because it's just the internet, so i know you don't hate me.

Fair enough. You open yourself up when you put labels on yourself such as expert.

I just don't like him much...never did.He's a football product from the south,his mobility will get him into trouble in the nfl,surrounded by a talented team(much like leinart was)and on and on.Not to mention the fact that harbaugh coached this guy up.I see two possiblities with 'luck'...1.Another favre...2.Another leinart.I'm guessing another leinart.I'll pass on the guy and so will the colts.However,we may draft/trade him to another team.

"The guys he work with are horrible" haha oh my... I mean I guess he just has the best O-line in all of college football? Maybe the fact that the play action works perfectly for Stanford every time because they can run the ball extrememly well behind their incredible O-line? Oh well he just gets amazing pass protection from his 1st round LT and OG teamates, Jonathan Martin and David Decastro.

Luck's best passing play by far is play action, which means he isn't as good at just dropping back and throwing.

Yep your right Andrew Luck plays on a team with "nobody's"...

Edited by Ramblinwreck7

"The guys he work with are horrible" haha oh my... I mean I guess he just has the best O-line in all of college football? Maybe the fact that the play action works perfectly for Stanford every time because they can run the ball extrememly well behind their incredible O-line? Oh well he just gets amazing pass protection from his 1st round LT and OG teamates, Jonathan Martin and David Decastro.

Luck's best passing play by far is play action, which means he isn't as good at just dropping back and throwing.

Yep your right Andrew Luck plays on a team with "nobody's"...

I already responded to something like this...I meant his receivers and running back. He has no good wide receivers except for Owusu who isn't good, and their running back has had one good game.

I already responded to something like this...I meant his receivers and running back. He has no good wide receivers except for Owusu who isn't good, and their running back has had one good game.

Am I the only one confused by the bolded statement above?

That's subjective at best. Plus, the numbers from their rushing attack would disagree with you. With as good as his o-line, TE's, and supporting defense have been, his receivers don't have to be capable of anything more than catching a wide open pass. The fact that they are so loaded everywhere else means the receivers will find themselves open more often than not.

Stanford is one of the deepest, most talented teams in the country right now. To say he's playing with nobody just disqualifies the argument. Luck throws for less than 170 yards against a ranked team, Stanford puts up 60+ points, and you say he's playing with nobody? The only reason anyone might not know their names is because the media is only talking about Luck.

I just don't like him much...never did.He's a football product from the south,his mobility will get him into trouble in the nfl,surrounded by a talented team(much like leinart was)and on and on.Not to mention the fact that harbaugh coached this guy up.I see two possiblities with 'luck'...1.Another favre...2.Another leinart.I'm guessing another leinart.I'll pass on the guy and so will the colts.However,we may draft/trade him to another team.

you really didn't think this post thru did you?

You don't seem to realize that the O-line is more important to a quarterbacks success than the skill position players. And I guarantee that Stanford's running backs have had more than 1 good game lol.

You don't seem to realize that the O-line is more important to a quarterbacks success than the skill position players. And I guarantee that Stanford's running backs have had more than 1 good game lol.

My bad... 2 really good games... and in those 2 games he combined for a little more than 1/3 of his season's total rushing yards. I'm not saying their bad, but they're not that great... not good enough to win games by themselves. I know a good O-line is important, but it's very impressive that he's putting up these stats with at best mediocre receivers. Tom Brady has the best O-line in the league, but you can't say that's why he's so great... it helps a lot, but he's still a great QB. Plus, Andrew Luck can still manage with a mediocre line, because his release and footwork is so fast, plus he can run. I'm just saying, if he had receivers and running backs like Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and LSU have than I can understand, but his players around him (running backs and receivers NOT O-line) are mediocre at best.

My bad... 2 really good games... and in those 2 games he combined for a little more than 1/3 of his season's total rushing yards. I'm not saying their bad, but they're not that great... not good enough to win games by themselves. I know a good O-line is important, but it's very impressive that he's putting up these stats with at best mediocre receivers. Tom Brady has the best O-line in the league, but you can't say that's why he's so great... it helps a lot, but he's still a great QB. Plus, Andrew Luck can still manage with a mediocre line, because his release and footwork is so fast, plus he can run. I'm just saying, if he had receivers and running backs like Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and LSU have than I can understand, but his players around him (running backs and receivers NOT O-line) are mediocre at best.

What about the 3 TE's that combined probably play more downs than any WRs do? The 3 guys, Coby Fleener, Zac Ertz and Levine Toilolo that are 6'6" to 6'8" and run/catch like receivers? One of whom, as I mentioned earlier, is considered in the top 4 TEs in the nation. The other 2 are ranked #2 and #7 for their class of TEs.

No, they don't have many big name receivers or RBs but, much like Denver under Mike Shanahan, they don't need big-name RBs to be effective due to the OL. Without any big name RBs they're still averaging close to or over 200 yards per game rushing and the running game accounts for approx. 45% of their total offense while passing is about 55%.

So again, the statement that the guys he plays with "are horrible" is absurd. :)