Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richard Sherman Names the Smartest QBs [MERGE]

Dustin

How'd you fix the title? I thought only mods can change the title once the thread is created? When did you become entitled to mod powers? Lol

If you're on the mobile version, you just click edit on the OP and you can change it.

If you're on a desktop you can either right click on edit and select "open in a new tab" or just just click on edit and drag it to a new tab. You can edit it from there as well.

the days of defenses alone winning championships and teams advancing in the playoffs with 200-yard passing performances went away shortly after the Buccaneers won it in 2002, when I was 14.

I disagree with that to some extent.  Peyton didn't play his best football when we won the 2006 Super Bowl, but the defense and running attack helped us get there.  I think a lot of teams prefer that, too.  When you have a good defense and strong running game, it helps you control the clock.  While it may not happen often, I don't think it's completely gone.

haha Most conservative: Alex Smith

Pretty good article.  I'm a fan of Sherman.  I like his play and he does back up all of his trash talk

Luck's arm is deceptive in its velocity and distance, IMO. From the end zone angle, I have noticed that it looks like the ball won't quite make it there but then all of a sudden, the defender is trailing and the ball is sailing well past his arms into T.Y.Hilton's arms. Texans found that out several times, so did Brandon Browner when the Seahawks played us.

There are a lot of guys who look to run but Russell Wilson, Rodgers and Luck always look to pass as soon as they start running and have very good vision down the field, IMO.

I absolutely love Richard Sherman. He is one of my favorite players in the league. Really good read, it's nice to get an insight on what a defender thinks about QB's.

Don't know about Luck having the best arm though. It's good but i think they're better out there.

Luck's arm is deceptive in its velocity and distance, IMO. From the end zone angle, I have noticed that it looks like the ball won't quite make it there but then all of a sudden, the defender is trailing and the ball is sailing well past his arms into T.Y.Hilton's arms. Texans found that out several times, so did Brandon Browner when the Seahawks played us.

There are a lot of guys who look to run but Russell Wilson, Rodgers and Luck always look to pass as soon as they start running and have very good vision down the field, IMO.

Russell Wilson looks to escape. It's uncanny, really, the way he buys time and then at the last minute slings the ball downfield to the open man. I remember the play Sherman mentions in his article about Wilson faking the defender out at the last minute. Impressive to watch. And then, when he does run, he gets out of bounds or slides, but usually it's after picking up the first down. He's what I'd call a disciplined scrambler. You always get the impression that he's going to make the right decision.

I think Luck should take off and run more often. He's been scouted as someone who likes to get out of the pocket and then throw it at the last minute, and it showed in the way the Jags keyed in on him when he'd break the pocket down near the goalline. He needs to tuck it and run with it more often, and defenders will commit to him earlier, allowing him to start throwing it over their heads.

When Sherman is talking about Peyton throwing ducks, I think he has to mean a wobbly ball. Which he's done is entire career. I'm not sure why he even brought it up, since it doesn't seem to make a difference. Surely he dint mean his passes are slow and easy to break up.

Obviously he doesn't care for Tom Brady, I think he gave Wilson his spot.

An article I found interesting, take it for what you want:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/03/richard-sherman-smartest-nfl-quarterbacks/

1. Manning

2. Brees

3. Rodgers

4. Wilson

5. Luck

6. Brady

He explains what makes these guys special in the article and has some other interesting opinions like the hardest qb to sack (room).

Btw, this is all about the smartest qb according to Sherman, not who has the best arm or who is the best overall qb or who throws the least picks.

It's a solid list imo, though the rankings could be argued. Peyton at #1 is easily the right choice.

Edit: And just saw that this article is linked in the Luck has the strongest arm thread in the colts section, but this thread could be more about the "smartness" ranking I guess for all the qbs.

I was wondering why he put Brady 6th but now I see its just for this season only. (Post topic misleading)

Yeah I'd swap Luck and Wilson too.

He did say Brady was the hardest to intercept. Meaning he is too smart and too accurate but we already knew that. ;)

This was a great read overall though. I wish more DBs would do stuff like this. Great to get their perspectives.

It's a nice list but aren't coaches in a better position to judge the intelligence of quarterbacks than corner backs?

Pure intelligence Cutler and Alex Smith may top all QBs, but I think the guy was talking about football intelligence, which inevitably will include some good executions. And I think since CBs are actually playing the QBs head-to-head, they may have more credit than anyone else when talking about QBs.