Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dolphins Going After Cowher

shaunzo

To me, total control of players being drafted is not a bad thing for the coach, he is the one who has to coach them. The coach, just like the GM, has to rely on scouting. So, if the scouting results are made available to both the coach and the GM, and the coach can get the players he is interested in for workouts, I do not see any reason why the coach should not be given autonomy to draft the players if there is a vote of confidence from the owner.

Salary, personnel decisions to let free agents walk or be re-signed, how to work with the cap and competition committee etc. are the ones the GM should focus on. The coach can make recommendations but the GM can confine himself with that aspect of it.

To me, total control of players being drafted is not a bad thing for the coach, he is the one who has to coach them. The coach, just like the GM, has to rely on scouting. So, if the scouting results are made available to both the coach and the GM, and the coach can get the players he is interested in for workouts, I do not see any reason why the coach should not be given autonomy to draft the players if there is a vote of confidence from the owner.

Salary, personnel decisions to let free agents walk or be re-signed, how to work with the cap and competition committee etc. are the ones the GM should focus on. The coach can make recommendations but the GM can confine himself with that aspect of it.

For me in today's NFL it is so much work involved in just the coaching aspect alone to produce a winning product, to ask that same person to take on additional responsibility that a GM is risky.

He will want full and total control which isn't a good thing...

Unless you're Bill Belichick, then it's a REALLY good thing! I love a coach who wants full-control, because then the team can build around him, just like the Patriots do with Belichick.

Edited by ReMeDy

Unless you're Bill Belichick, then it's a REALLY good thing! I love a coach who wants full-control, because then the team can build around him, just like the Patriots do with Belichick.

or Bill parcells. "If you want me to coach I want to shop for the groceries too". Oddly enough he got his way in <cough> Jerry Jone's cowboys. He actually built a decent team and went to the playoffs too.

For me in today's NFL it is so much work involved in just the coaching aspect alone to produce a winning product, to ask that same person to take on additional responsibility that a GM is risky.

Like I said, the coach does not have to do the scouting. It is nothing more than what Dungy did. He sat in the draft room along with Polian, he evaluated players in the combine just like Polian did and when draft day comes along, the coach should have more control is basically what I am saying. Consensus is necessary but when in doubt, the coach should make the call. If the coach is drafting a lunatic character wise, then the GM can step in :), though I doubt that happens as much. Both the coach and GM have access to the same evaluations, so I do not see any logical reason why not. If the GM believes the coach is not qualified to make draft decisions on offense or defense, the head coach should not have been hired in the first place.

The coach is by no means taking GM duties there, what he is evaluating pertains mainly to performance on the field. The salary cap and personnel decisions is what a GM mainly does, I am not suggesting a coach ever do that. That is what Mike Shanahan tried to do and bit more than he could chew in Denver and he ended up doing a terrible job.

Edited by chad72