Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns job is McDaniel's if he wants it.

Dustin

What could possibly be going through the head of the management in Cleveland?  With McDaniels' history, he will draft a terrible QB in the first round and trade away Josh Gordon

The owner or GM could always overrule McDaniels on draft decisions, so I wouldn't be worried about that. I'm more concerned at his coaching credentials in general. He clearly isn't good at developing young QB's if he couldn't work with Tim Tebow.

Few thoughts on this:

McDaniels had offers last year and did not do any interviews as he said he wanted to stay with Bill and not uproot his family again in a short period of time.

Word here in NE is that McDaniels is being groomed to take over the HC job in NE once Belichick moves or retires which most believe will happen when Brady retires.

While McDaniels stunk it up in Denver many in the football world believe he has learned from his mistakes and would make a good HC. For sure he has to keep his ego in check and do what he is good at - offense and make a good hire at DC.

Lastly, I don't see him taking Cleveland because the offense needs the most work. I would think Detroit would interest him more. He could go there with that O and win and contend.

It's interesting because when you do a really deep dive into his time in Denver you find a couple of things.

1. Cutler is on many levels a malcontent. They got rid of him and he has been very iffy.

2. Brandon Marshall had a myriad of mental health issues during McDaniels time there.

3. The "Tim Tebow" draft was actually a good one, aside from Tebow. It produced, Demarious Thomas, Zane Beatles, Eric Decker and yes, Time Tebow. Solid draft offensively. 

4. He took them to an 8-8 record BEFORE he drafted the above players and Cutler and Thomas had banner years. 

On the bad side.

1. He wanted to trade for Matt Cassell - ew

2. He sort of ran wild in Denver without a strong GM.

3. The Defense was horrendous during his time in Denver. 

There are good and bad things with McDaniels, if he learned his lesson, I think he could succeed. Really, I think more than anything, people look at Tim Tebow and that's all they see of McDaniels, which, really isn't fair. 

It's interesting because when you do a really deep dive into his time in Denver you find a couple of things.

1. Cutler is on many levels a malcontent. They got rid of him and he has been very iffy.

2. Brandon Marshall had a myriad of mental health issues during McDaniels time there.

3. The "Tim Tebow" draft was actually a good one, aside from Tebow. It produced, Demarious Thomas, Zane Beatles, Eric Decker and yes, Time Tebow. Solid draft offensively.

4. He took them to an 8-8 record BEFORE he drafted the above players and Cutler and Thomas had banner years.

On the bad side.

There are good and bad things with McDaniels, if he learned his lesson, I think he could succeed. Really, I think more than anything, people look at Tim Tebow and that's all they see of McDaniels, which, really isn't fair.

Great post. McDaniels did do some good things in Denver, but Tebow makes everyone forget about that. And when you think about it, Tebow did win a playoff game for them so it's not like it was a horrible pick. Clearly he wasn't a first rounder but he did something a lot of first rounders (like rg3, luck) havn't done yet.

On the bad side.

Excellent post. For sure McD did some great things in Denver but Tebow does over shadow it all. Getting rid of Cutler was probably the best thing he did. And I think had he gotten Cassell he would still be the HC in Denver. They worked well together in NE in 2008.

Great post. McDaniels did do some good things in Denver, but Tebow makes everyone forget about that. And when you think about it, Tebow did win a playoff game for them so it's not like it was a horrible pick. Clearly he wasn't a first rounder but he did something a lot of first rounders (like rg3, luck) havn't done yet.

Good lord, Tebow was a horrible pick. That's why he is working for ESPN in his mid 20's.

McDaniels was regarded as a locker room cancer in Denver and none of his players respected him.

He traded away the teams 2 best offensive players and passed on Dez Bryant and traded up for Tim Tebow. He also traded away Peyton Hillis and drafted Knowshone Marino with a top 15 pick when the team had a ton of holes. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Anyone who thinks this guy should be a HC or in control of personal management is kidding themselves.

I think McD could be a solid coach. He was really pushing for good character in Denver and that influenced his decisions a great deal. If he gets into a situation where character isn't an issue in a locker room and he gets an OK quarterback he could be very successful. If he goes to Cleveland he wont want Manziel, but he could be successful with what they have.

I honestly think Manziel will be a bust anyway. He may have one decent season but when there is tape on him its all downhill from there.

On the bad side.

Real good points. I don't blame him for jettisoning Cutler at all. And Marshall, at the time, was not as together as he is today, you're right about that one.

Maybe with a strong GM, McD would have more success. But I don't know if this is the right opportunity or the right time. I'm sure he would like to be the boss again at some point.

A couple of "reading between the lines" points:

- He was basically offered the same opportunity last year. Maybe there was some informal agreement with Belichick when he came back that he would stick around for a minimum of "x" seasons before looking to jump ship again. 

- If he is (as rumored) the unofficial successor to Belichick in New England, does this mean that Belichick has no plans to retire anytime soon? Speculation has been that he would leave when Brady retires, though I've never agreed with that. I think he'll coach another 10 years unless he's fired or has health issues or something.

Real good points. I don't blame him for jettisoning Cutler at all. And Marshall, at the time, was not as together as he is today, you're right about that one.

Maybe with a strong GM, McD would have more success. But I don't know if this is the right opportunity or the right time. I'm sure he would like to be the boss again at some point.

A couple of "reading between the lines" points:

- He was basically offered the same opportunity last year. Maybe there was some informal agreement with Belichick when he came back that he would stick around for a minimum of "x" seasons before looking to jump ship again. 

- If he is (as rumored) the unofficial successor to Belichick in New England, does this mean that Belichick has no plans to retire anytime soon? Speculation has been that he would leave when Brady retires, though I've never agreed with that. I think he'll coach another 10 years unless he's fired or has health issues or something.

I have always wondered if Bill will give us a chance to see him coach after Brady. Either in NE or elsewhere. I sure hope he does. Walsh never coached again in the NFL after Montana and I do wonder if Bill will do the same, although I think he loves coaching more than Walsh.

I have always wondered if Bill will give us a chance to see him coach after Brady. Either in NE or elsewhere. I sure hope he does. Walsh never coached again in the NFL after Montana and I do wonder if Bill will do the same, although I think he loves coaching more than Walsh.

I'm kind of split on it. Part of me wants to see them ride off into the sunset together like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but the other part wants to see how Butch holds up on his own. 

Either way I'm hoping that McDaniels sticks around. With all the instability over the last nine months, going back to free agency last offseason, I think the continuity of keeping your OC in place is important. Maybe not as much as it would be for other teams without an established system and a veteran QB, but I'd prefer that all the pieces stay in place. At least for now.

I'm kind of split on it. Part of me wants to see them ride off into the sunset together like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but the other part wants to see how Butch holds up on his own. 

Either way I'm hoping that McDaniels sticks around. With all the instability over the last nine months, going back to free agency last offseason, I think the continuity of keeping your OC in place is important. Maybe not as much as it would be for other teams without an established system and a veteran QB, but I'd prefer that all the pieces stay in place. At least for now.

Yeah I want McD to stay too. The O is in flux with new players to be added next year for sure. Consistency at OC is very important IMO.

I liked your Butch and Sundance comparison. And agree that I want to see Butch on his own too.

McDaniels was regarded as a locker room cancer in Denver and none of his players respected him.

He traded away the teams 2 best offensive players and passed on Dez Bryant and traded up for Tim Tebow. He also traded away Peyton Hillis and drafted Knowshone Marino with a top 15 pick when the team had a ton of holes. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Anyone who thinks this guy should be a HC or in control of personal management is kidding themselves.

No one is saying the same McDaniels from Denver should get a HC job.  We're assuming that he's matured since then.  On the offensive side of the ball, he did well.  He got Decker. He got Thomas, who is better than Dez for the simple fact that Thomas is not a head case like Dez is. Moreno is certainly better than Hillis.   Getting rid of cutler was a good move.  Cutler is not that good and he was never going to take that team anywhere. 

McDaniels failed defensively.  The draft picks he picked on that side of the ball were just awful.  He should have no say about defense.  But McDaniels is a good O coordinator and he does have a good eye for offensive talent.  He could succeed as a HC if he hired a good D coordinator and if he shows more maturity.  Whether he has matured or not is the big question.