Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton could lose his passing yardage record.

Dustin

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the same thing lol. Elias is just clarifying what the play actually was. They aren't influencing it or changing what happened.

The NFL, and their officials shortcomings, or the shortcomings of their replay system, don't have anything to do with Elias stat keeping.

I may have misunderstood you comment.

The record stands. Cue tears from AM.

BINGO   :thmup:

It's official: Peyton Manning has passing yards record

Upon further review, Peyton Manning's NFL passing yards record stands.

The league announced Tuesday that the Elias Sports Bureau, the league's statistician, would not take away a 7-yard completion from Manning to Eric Decker during Sunday's Broncos-Raiders game. 

the determination of Elias is that the fairest resolution is for the ruling of the on-site stats crew to stand."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-12-31/peyton-manning-passing-yards-records-review-not-overturned-drew-brees-broncos

The record stands. Cue tears from AM.

You must have missed my posts (#27 on this thread and stated on other threads as well) where I said I was hoping Manning would crush Brees record and that I was upset that he did not play longer as one yard is cutting it too close. In the end, I suppose Saints fans are crying.

It's official: Peyton Manning has passing yards record

Upon further review, Peyton Manning's NFL passing yards record stands.

The league announced Tuesday that the Elias Sports Bureau, the league's statistician, would not take away a 7-yard completion from Manning to Eric Decker during Sunday's Broncos-Raiders game. 

the determination of Elias is that the fairest resolution is for the ruling of the on-site stats crew to stand."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-12-31/peyton-manning-passing-yards-records-review-not-overturned-drew-brees-broncos

SEE THE Above & BELOW NOTES 

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24823030/peyton-manning-passing-record-under-review-nfl

I'm pretty surprised. I'm inferring from Signora's comments that they decided to let this stand because of the circumstances. The NFL does have a heart.

So now I wonder about Gronkowski in 2011. If that had been the final game of the season, would they have let that stand? Or is this decision being made because the Broncos pulled Manning fully believing the record was set? Muy interesante...

ESPN

After further review, history will stand.

Peyton Manning's single-season passing yardage record which came into question will remain, an NFL spokesman confirmed.

In one camera angle, the pass to Decker looks like a lateral, which would make it a running play. Another angle, from above, shows Decker receiving the ball at the Broncos' 48-yard line, with Manning slightly deeper than that.

Elias Sports Bureau made the final call after reviewing the play, which will remain a pass.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10224344/peyton-manning-passing-yardage-record-stand

Peyton Manning's passing yards record will stand

nfl.com

• By Chris Wesseling
  • Around the League Writer

We applaud the decision.

The play was too close to reverse. Had Manning and the Broncos known at the time that those passing yards would be negated, he would have stayed in the game to ensure that the record would be broken.

It would have set a bizarre precedent for the statistics service to overturn a record that had stood for over two days.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000307771/article/peyton-mannings-passing-yards-record-will-stand

The league and its statistician agency, the Elias Sports Bureau, reviewed a 7-yard completion from Manning to Eric Decker during the first quarter of the Broncos' 34-14 victory Sunday at Oakland and decided Tuesday evening that replays were not conclusive enough to overturn.

Elias reviewed and discussed its finding with league officials Tuesday before concluding not to make a statistical change.

Read more: Peyton Manning's passing record stands; NFL will not overturn - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24823030/peyton-manning-passing-record-under-review-nfl#ixzz2p9jm6sEs

I disagree. I'm surprised by it, but like has been said a hundred times in this thread, Manning easily could have buried Brees' record by a hundred yards. It would be disingenuous for Brees or anyone else to be too upset by this ruling.

Does not change the fact that it was ruled incorrect in favor of letting Manning keep the record which is unfair to Brees. Manning should have played longer and not let it come down to one yard. They better remember this the next time a record comes up on a questionable play.

I guess Elias' policy is the same as the refs; there has to be conclusive evidence. 

My one issue with being able to change the pass vs lateral stat after the fact is that it opens the door for any stat to be changed. TDs and FGs are also stats. If it is so bloody important to change passing yardage stats, then it should be equally important to get all stats completely correct. That would encompass TDs and FGs which could effect the outcome of games. And in the grand scheme of things, it is much more important to get Scoring stats correct then yardage. Does anyone out there want wins and losses to be awarded retroactively? Not me, unless it only benefits the Colts. J/k

Apparently the Elias Sports Bureau is the league’s official statistician.

Yes. Pretty much all major sports are tracked by Elias. But they don't have say over NFL officials, policies, or fixing blown referee calls after the fact.

Just keeping track of stats. And making sure they are correct and accurate.

Good job taking my post completely out of context though.