Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who do you hope the Texans draft with the #1 pick ?

Brent71

Here is what I see happening, they will draft Bridgewater at this point, I don't see them taking Clowney, their D-line when healthy is going to be good either way.

Either way, if they do get Clowney, he is going to be a beast with JJ.

They may have Manziel available late in the draft, since most teams are not looking for a QB other than the Vikings.

The Jags are not going to draft a QB high, if anything they will draft someone in the second.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN isn't a legitimate source for judging talent IMO. They honestly are just a bunch of bandwagon analysts that pick the "hot" team. I've said for the last few yrs. that people keep over rating the Texans and they prove me right yr. in and yr. out. The Texans are in for serious disappointment if they believe they will be contenders for a few more yrs. at least IMO.

Well....   ESPN isn't alone in that evaluation....  the people at NFL.com think so too...

Still...   you maybe right because they don't have a QB, and their RB is getting old fast and can't stay healthy and Andre Johnson is showing his age as well...

So,  with those issues,  the Texans have serious issues ahead of them...

That said....  they have a good front office, a good owner willing to spend money....   there is still plenty of talent on the roster, IMO,  and if they can address some of the issues I mentioned, that might still be a team to be reckoned with....

Just another perspective....

p.s. -- we're going to have to respectfully disagree about ESPN....   their analysts are OK, but a lot on ESPN.com is work done by writers, not the fawning former players who don't do enough homework...

Those analysis's are often very good and often go very contrarian...   they just don't parrot the standard conventional thinking...     so, to be clear, I'm making a distinction between former players and the writers who work for the website...

Hope that clarifies....

They have a QB they can develop and a backup in Yates that isnt too terrible.  They could afford to get Clowney and get a QB later OR, trade away their pick and get a later QB in the first round like Manziel and someone else to boost their DB position.  Lord knows theres plenty of teams hunting for a QB and you can always count on the Browns to want to get a QB every year to go with a new HC.

Have you not watched how Geno has turned out so far? Teddy is the SAME QB, who has played consistently against a soft schedule. He will be exposed almost immediately when he steps on the field against an NFL defense.

Bridgewater is absolutely nothing like Geno Smith.  Bridgewater is much better than Smith.

Have you seen Bridgewater against SEC and ACC competition?  Bridgewater has done well against 

them all including this latest blow out of Miami.  Also the blowout of Florida in last years bowl

game.  He's also beaten Kentucky which is an SEC team.  

Where exactly are we getting the data from to say that Bridgewater is going to be a bust?  There's very little evidence other than to sit and say "Oh he played against a soft schedule". Who exactly was Ben Rothlesberger playing when he came out of Miami of Ohio? I'm sure there were a lot of studs on that schedule.  Bridgewater is very talented and he knows what he's doing out there. Very accurate and intelligent pocket passer who runs only when he has to. If the Texans select Bridgewater they will be on the right track.

ESPN isn't a legitimate source for judging talent IMO. They honestly are just a bunch of bandwagon analysts that pick the "hot" team. I've said for the last few yrs. that people keep over rating the Texans and they prove me right yr. in and yr. out. The Texans are in for serious disappointment if they believe they will be contenders for a few more yrs. at least IMO.

You have to give me some analysis, rather than just undermining the people you disagree with, like ESPN. What exactly is it about the Texans roster that you think is so terrible? With slightly above average quarterback play, they won 12 games last year. They have playmakers at every level, and they have promising young players. So seriously, without telling me how wrong everyone has been about the Texans for the last few years, help me understand the problems they have.

You have to give me some analysis, rather than just undermining the people you disagree with, like ESPN. What exactly is it about the Texans roster that you think is so terrible? With slightly above average quarterback play, they won 12 games last year. They have playmakers at every level, and they have promising young players. So seriously, without telling me how wrong everyone has been about the Texans for the last few years, help me understand the problems they have.

The reason I love this forum - not just pointless smack but quality analysis and a willness to be convinced of an opinion other than my own.  Well done Superman :thmup:

Bucky Brooks gives a pretty good breakdown of Bridgewater on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000307451/article/film-room-teddy-bridgewater-primed-to-be-next-great-qb-in-nfl

"After watching Teddy Bridgewater -- who declared he intends to enter the 2014 NFL Draft on New Year's Day -- close out his career in superb fashion in the Russell Athletic Bowl, I'm not only convinced that he is a franchise player, but he is the crown jewel of the 2014 quarterback class. While I know that several anonymous scouts have reportedly voiced opinions counter to that assessment, I believe Bridgewater will be the next great quarterback to enter the NFL. "

Bridgewater is absolutely nothing like Geno Smith.  Bridgewater is much better than Smith.

Have you seen Bridgewater against SEC and ACC competition?  Bridgewater has done well against 

them all including this latest blow out of Miami.  Also the blowout of Florida in last years bowl

game.  He's also beaten Kentucky which is an SEC team.  

Where exactly are we getting the data from to say that Bridgewater is going to be a bust?  There's very little evidence other than to sit and say "Oh he played against a soft schedule". Who exactly was Ben Rothlesberger playing when he came out of Miami of Ohio? I'm sure there were a lot of studs on that schedule.  Bridgewater is very talented and he knows what he's doing out there. Very accurate and intelligent pocket passer who runs only when he has to. If the Texans select Bridgewater they will be on the right track.

Much better? Smith played against arguably better secondaries in the BIG 12. and still out paced him.

haha Kentucky? Kentucky is the worst team in the SEC. Miami, once they started hitting their conference, was giving up over 40 points and 500 yards a game the last half of the season. MIami wasn't anything special. Florida had 3 turnovers, and still only lost by 10 - that's not a blowout. Bridgewatrer had a decent game, but that defense was gassed by the end of the half because the offense couldn't do anything. The guy rarely makes any NFL-type throws. Memphis and CIncy, yes the two best defenses he played this year gave him fits by not letting him step up in his throws and limiting his movement. Cincinatti and Memphis?!? Crossing patterns and screens while leaning on YAC from his receivers just aren't going to be there as much as they were in college. He's got an average arm, and is a second slow in getting his guys the ball, again that works against inferior secondaries, but the NFL is going to exploit him just like it did Geno. 

Roethlisberger went to a perennial top-5 defense that gave him a plethora of extra possessions yet the guy has 3 4000 yards seasons in 10 years. It took him almost 5 years, with an OC who wanted to air it out all of the time, before he was even a top-15 QB. Can you imagine Peyton or Andrew with a perennial top-5 defense and tons of extra possessions? That Pittsburgh team lived and died with that defense, not Roethlisberger, and its clearly dying now. Flacco? Same guy, same tune, different team. There is no way I would pay either QB 100M+ for having rode the coattails of an awesome defense, nor would I waste high draft pick on either. Teddy is going to walk into the same situation with Houston, a very good team that's needing a few pieces. I can't say I blame the guy, but if I were a GM, I'm not drafting a guy who's proved very little and hope he turns into a good QB, in my offense with a top-5, 10, 20 pick. 

I guess I'm just not seeing the hype in the guy like everyone else is.

Bucky Brooks gives a pretty good breakdown of Bridgewater on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000307451/article/film-room-teddy-bridgewater-primed-to-be-next-great-qb-in-nfl

"After watching Teddy Bridgewater -- who declared he intends to enter the 2014 NFL Draft on New Year's Day -- close out his career in superb fashion in the Russell Athletic Bowl, I'm not only convinced that he is a franchise player, but he is the crown jewel of the 2014 quarterback class. While I know that several anonymous scouts have reportedly voiced opinions counter to that assessment, I believe Bridgewater will be the next great quarterback to enter the NFL. "

Hrmmm... Scouts see differently than Bucky Brooks. Shocking! Who would you be lead to believe?

Much better? Smith played against arguably better secondaries in the BIG 12. and still out paced him.

haha Kentucky? Kentucky is the worst team in the SEC. Miami, once they started hitting their conference, was giving up over 40 points and 500 yards a game the last half of the season. MIami wasn't anything special. Florida had 3 turnovers, and still only lost by 10 - that's not a blowout. Bridgewatrer had a decent game, but that defense was gassed by the end of the half because the offense couldn't do anything. The guy rarely makes any NFL-type throws. Memphis and CIncy, yes the two best defenses he played this year gave him fits by not letting him step up in his throws and limiting his movement. Cincinatti and Memphis?!? Crossing patterns and screens while leaning on YAC from his receivers just aren't going to be there as much as they were in college. He's got an average arm, and is a second slow in getting his guys the ball, again that works against inferior secondaries, but the NFL is going to exploit him just like it did Geno. 

Roethlisberger went to a perennial top-5 defense that gave him a plethora of extra possessions yet the guy has 3 4000 yards seasons in 10 years. It took him almost 5 years, with an OC who wanted to air it out all of the time, before he was even a top-15 QB. Can you imagine Peyton or Andrew with a perennial top-5 defense and tons of extra possessions? That Pittsburgh team lived and died with that defense, not Roethlisberger, and its clearly dying now. Flacco? Same guy, same tune, different team. There is no way I would pay either QB 100M+ for having rode the coattails of an awesome defense, nor would I waste high draft pick on either. Teddy is going to walk into the same situation with Houston, a very good team that's needing a few pieces. I can't say I blame the guy, but if I were a GM, I'm not drafting a guy who's proved very little and hope he turns into a good QB, in my offense with a top-5, 10, 20 pick. 

You seem to find a way to downplay the guy even when your claim of not facing any quality opponents was debunked in the Florida game.  That was one of the best defenses in the country that year, especially on third down.  They were known for defense, Bridgewater had no problem going up and down the field on that D for the entire game.  Don't try to make an excuse for them being gassed later on.  They were getting beat from the very start of the game.

Even if it was Kentucky it's still better than some of what he saw in his conference.  Please tell us how he runs a Pro Style offense with NFL style throws built into it, but he never or rarely made any NFL throws?  There are very few that question his arm strength or accuracy.  Just say you don't like the guy and you don't have a valid reason for doing so.

And then to the thing about Big Ben who also was drafted in the first round with the 11th pick in 2004 out of a small school with weak competition.  Arians did not become their offensive coordinator until later on in 2007 around the time when Mike Tomlin came on the scene.  Under Bill Cowher/Ken Wisenhunt they were primarily a running team with a stout defense.  There wasn't even any need for him to be throwing for 4000 yards in a season in the first place, and he wasn't even used in that manner.  We were using Luck in a similar fashion earlier on this year and he didn't have big numbers either but it didn't mean he wasn't a good qb.  Throwing for 4000 yards is not the best metric to determine whether or not a qb is any good.  Luck threw for 4k last year and he had a lot of interceptions as well as a low passer rating.

Oh and by the way would you also have not drafted Steve Mcnair either?  He was drafted third overall in the first round when he came out of Alcorn St.  I would draft Bridgewater if I were the Texans or the Jaguars(I think he'd do well in the Seattle style system that the Jags will employ) and I would have drafted Mcnair and Roethlisberger.  The deal is when there is a weak schedule you look for the other intangibles such as arm strength, intelligence, leadership, resiliency etc.  If there is enough there then why would you miss out on the pick just because of schedule?  There's a long list of failed qb prospects who played at quality college football programs.  At the end of the day there is some type of gambling involved no matter how you slice it.

To the last point you made, I don't think you are drafting off of pure "hope" if you have done enough due dilligence to your own satisfaction to feel like the guy can make the transition. Having a strong schedule is good but there is much more to the evaluation process then going off strength of schedule.

You seem to find a way to downplay the guy even when your claim of not facing any quality opponents was debunked in the Florida game.  That was one of the best defenses in the country that year, especially on third down.  They were known for defense, Bridgewater had no problem going up and down the field on that D for the entire game.  Don't try to make an excuse for them being gassed later on.  They were getting beat from the very start of the game.

1 game!?! In which I said he had a decent game. I believe Florida's offense had 7 drives of 5 plays or less resulting in either a turnover or punt - yep that has no effect on a defense. Do the Colts games this year with St. Louis and Arizona ring a bell? 3 extra possessions and 38 minutes time of possession and still only won by 10. Hats off to that Louisville defense if anything.

Even if it was Kentucky it's still better than some of what he saw in his conference.  Please tell us how he runs a Pro Style offense with NFL style throws built into it, but he never or rarely made any NFL throws?  There are very few that question his arm strength or accuracy.  Just say you don't like the guy and you don't have a valid reason for doing so.

Only Beating Miami(OH) and Alabama State would rank them right in there. Where does the conclusion that pro-style offense means pro-style throws? How many hash mark to outside sideline throws has the guy seriously had to attempt, especially to a covered receiver. He's has the benefit of his receivers getting open for him to make the open throw, but rarely do you see him fitting the ball between defenders because he hasn't been tested enough there. He will get help if he is drafted by the Texans with Johnson and Hopkins, along with a great line, but in the NFL that doesn't mean anything. I'd take the lowest ranking NFL defense over ANY elite college defense. That's what Teddy will be lining up against. 

He's a hype machine, and I hope he proves me wrong, but my whole point is how is this guy considered a top-5 pick when Russell Wilson, who had very similar passing statistics, doesn't go until the middle of the draft? I don't hate the guy, but he's getting elite status for having not really proved anything. Again, no way I waste a top-5 pick on him nor Manziel.

Have you not watched how Geno has turned out so far? Teddy is the SAME QB, who has played consistently against a soft schedule. He will be exposed almost immediately when he steps on the field against an NFL defense.

Last year he spanked Florida in a bowl game.  This year he spanks Miami.  What does the guy need to do?

If I was them I'd draft Bridgewater.  

I hope they go for Clowney.  The pass rush would be brutal, but Clowney isn't gonna make them winners again.  A new QB could.

1 game!?! In which I said he had a decent game. I believe Florida's offense had 7 drives of 5 plays or less resulting in either a turnover or punt - yep that has no effect on a defense. Do the Colts games this year with St. Louis and Arizona ring a bell? 3 extra possessions and 38 minutes time of possession and still only won by 10. Hats off to that Louisville defense if anything.

Only Beating Miami(OH) and Alabama State would rank them right in there. Where does the conclusion that pro-style offense means pro-style throws? How many hash mark to outside sideline throws has the guy seriously had to attempt, especially to a covered receiver. He's has the benefit of his receivers getting open for him to make the open throw, but rarely do you see him fitting the ball between defenders because he hasn't been tested enough there. He will get help if he is drafted by the Texans with Johnson and Hopkins, along with a great line, but in the NFL that doesn't mean anything. I'd take the lowest ranking NFL defense over ANY elite college defense. That's what Teddy will be lining up against. 

He's a hype machine, and I hope he proves me wrong, but my whole point is how is this guy considered a top-5 pick when Russell Wilson, who had very similar passing statistics, doesn't go until the middle of the draft? I don't hate the guy, but he's getting elite status for having not really proved anything. Again, no way I waste a top-5 pick on him nor Manziel.

"1 game!?! In which I said he had a decent game. I believe Florida's offense had 7 drives of 5 plays or less resulting in either a turnover or punt - yep that has no effect on a defense. Do the Colts games this year with St. Louis and Arizona ring a bell? 3 extra possessions and 38 minutes time of possession and still only won by 10. Hats off to that Louisville defense if anything."

You can say this but it doesn't make up for the fact that he had no trouble moving the ball on Florida the entire game from the start to the finish.  It's a decent point you make, but who is gassed in the first quarter?  Even when they had their legs behind them they showed no signs in that game of being able to stop Teddy.  And to your point about Russell Wilson, everyone knows he was discriminated against because of his height. If he were the same height as Bridgewater then he would have possibly received the same consideration.

Your focus on pro style throws is a bit vague because each system uses different types of throws.  I saw the deep come back being thrown all the time when Peyton was here.  I don't see it as much or at all in Peps. system. In either case I think he needs to be able to make the throws that are required for the system that he is put in in the pros.  Bucky Brooks doesn't seem to agree that Bridgewater can't make all the throws.  I think he has plenty of arm strength to go along with being very accurate. In the games I've seen he has very good zip on his passes and  he has no problem sitting in the pocket and delivering the ball in trafffic.  The system he plays in to me is much different than that stuff RG3 was doing at Baylor. He's much more than a read option type of dude.  

Using Geno Smith as a comparison I don't think it fits either because Geno had and still has some bad mechanics, bad decision making and was prone to missing wide open receivers who were uncovered. I don't see that and nobody is saying that about Bridgewater. He hits the open receiver, he makes good decisions, he's got very good mechanics in the pocket and it's not hype.  He only runs when he has to and he's not that bad when he decides to.  if I were to compare him to anyone I think it would probably be Mcnabb maybe although I think he may have better potential.  But that's just me!  To each his own

Because college statistics mean nothing when evaluating prospects. 

Last year he spanked Florida in a bowl game.  This year he spanks Miami.  What does the guy need to do?

If I was them I'd draft Bridgewater.  

I hope they go for Clowney.  The pass rush would be brutal, but Clowney isn't gonna make them winners again.  A new QB could.

There are few teams in college football that have a defense worth mentioning...regardless of Alabama st. or Alabama that an offense can't put up numbers against. I'm less impressed with numbers than say mechanics, strength, reading defense, mobility, size, accuracy, leadership....there are so many things to measure that don't end up on a stat sheet who cares...if he can do it against Kentucky or LSU...point being does he have those attributes we look for. I think Teddy has a lot of them...but will he come in and be a success right away...not sure anyone in this draft will do that....but if there is a perfect team to go to it would be the Texans...they have a great DL...good LBs when healthy, awesome running game, and two stud receivers....if there is a team ready to make a leap back into the playoffs ala the Chiefs/Colts it would be the Texans.

That said I think the team goes for a qb....Clowney would be deadly with Watts but I don't see a retread qb or late rd guy able to take them where they want to go...I don't see a Mark Sanchez or Mcnown that is going to lift that team...they need an injection of life into that offense...and a reason to believe again as much as anything...perhaps they send their 3rd rd for Cousins maybe...since it would be the first pick but I see no one out there worth getting that would afford them taking Clowney and spending even more BIG money on the DL. I don't see how they could afford to spend that pick on another pass rusher...Smith is good...Watts is great...I just can't see them getting Clowney. I think they take Manziel...he will put fans in the seats and he is very mobile to work with that running game and spins it pretty good....he will have durability issues and character issues...but he is kinda a Texas guy...so perhaps it works...where if he goes to say to like NY/West coast it might not work well. I think they take a qb.

There are few teams in college football that have a defense worth mentioning...regardless of Alabama st. or Alabama that an offense can't put up numbers against. I'm less impressed with numbers than say mechanics, strength, reading defense, mobility, size, accuracy, leadership....there are so many things to measure that don't end up on a stat sheet who cares...if he can do it against Kentucky or LSU...point being does he have those attributes we look for. I think Teddy has a lot of them...but will he come in and be a success right away...not sure anyone in this draft will do that....but if there is a perfect team to go to it would be the Texans...they have a great DL...good LBs when healthy, awesome running game, and two stud receivers....if there is a team ready to make a leap back into the playoffs ala the Chiefs/Colts it would be the Texans.

That said I think the team goes for a qb....Clowney would be deadly with Watts but I don't see a retread qb or late rd guy able to take them where they want to go...I don't see a Mark Sanchez or Mcnown that is going to lift that team...they need an injection of life into that offense...and a reason to believe again as much as anything...perhaps they send their 3rd rd for Cousins maybe...since it would be the first pick but I see no one out there worth getting that would afford them taking Clowney and spending even more BIG money on the DL. I don't see how they could afford to spend that pick on another pass rusher...Smith is good...Watts is great...I just can't see them getting Clowney. I think they take Manziel...he will put fans in the seats and he is very mobile to work with that running game and spins it pretty good....he will have durability issues and character issues...but he is kinda a Texas guy...so perhaps it works...where if he goes to say to like NY/West coast it might not work well. I think they take a qb.

I like Cousins, but I think it would be a mistake to trade for him and expect him to be a franchise QB.  So far he's proved that he is, in my opinion a top tier backup.  Maybe with the right team around him he could be a franchise QB.  But he hasn't shown that he's a franchise QB yet.

They have a QB they can develop and a backup in Yates that isnt too terrible.  They could afford to get Clowney and get a QB later OR, trade away their pick and get a later QB in the first round like Manziel and someone else to boost their DB position.  Lord knows theres plenty of teams hunting for a QB and you can always count on the Browns to want to get a QB every year to go with a new HC.

Too risky IMO. There's going to be a run on QBs this year. We'll probably see Bridgewater, Carr, Bortles, and Manziel go in the top 10. Then you're stuck having to draft a guy like Tahj Boyd or AJ McCarron. 

I don't think the Texans are terrible, but I do not agree at all they are a top talented team. Their secondary is questionable at best, Their RB situation is pretty bad because Foster is getting old and Tate will probably bolt. Their Defensive line is good but not as great as people make it out to be. Really Watt is what makes their D-line dangerous. Their LBing corps. are nothing to write home about and Cushing is coming off a 2nd major injury and who knows how he'll be going forward. Their O-line isn't great and most of all, they have no QB and IMO their isn't a QB in this draft that will be able to come in and be effective immediately. So like I said, people keep over rating them yr. in and yr. out and they really haven't done anything impressive. Also their cap situation is not good so they may have to let go some of their better players just to fill out the rest of their roster.

I don't think the Texans are terrible, but I do not agree at all they are a top talented team. Their secondary is questionable at best, Their RB situation is pretty bad because Foster is getting old and Tate will probably bolt. Their Defensive line is good but not as great as people make it out to be. Really Watt is what makes their D-line dangerous. Their LBing corps. are nothing to write home about and Cushing is coming off a 2nd major injury and who knows how he'll be going forward. Their O-line isn't great and most of all, they have no QB and IMO their isn't a QB in this draft that will be able to come in and be effective immediately. So like I said, people keep over rating them yr. in and yr. out and they really haven't done anything impressive. Also their cap situation is not good so they may have to let go some of their better players just to fill out the rest of their roster.

What really caught my attention is when you said the Texans won't contend for "a few more years at least." There's no question they have some issues to address. You mention some of them. It will take smart decisions and good drafting -- which isn't a given, by any means -- but I don't see why they'd be doomed to mediocrity for any stretch of time. They have great draft position now, and if they get rid of Schaub, Foster and Johnson (or at least renegotiate Johnson's deal), they'll have a ton of cap space in 2015. They should probably do something about Cushing's deal as well, to protect themselves.

I like their coaching choice, also. O'Brien seems like an open-minded and inclusive guy who can make the most out of a tough situation. He's good with young QBs, whoever the QB winds up being. Better QB play should help the line and the running game, and you can find backs easily. Deandre Hopkins looks like the real deal, and Keshawn Martin looks promising as a complementary receiver. Graham and Griffin look good at TE, maybe making Daniels expendable and creating more cap space.

Most importantly, they have playmakers on defense, both established and up-and-coming guys. JJ Watt is arguably the best defensive player in the league, so let's not sell him short. Antonio Smith is a free agent but he's a prototype for their defense (assuming they keep Wade Phillips, which he's said he's open to). Cushing is a question mark, but I wouldn't write him off. Mercilus is a good young pass rusher. Shiloh Keo improved as the year went on, Swearinger is a good prospect, and Jonathan Joseph is overpaid, but a good corner. Jeff Tarpinian did well after he took over for Joe Mays and Darryl Sharpton. 

I don't think their roster is bad at all. I think it's pretty good, mostly because they have difference makers at several positions. They are presumably about to make some significant changes, which will determine their course in the near future, but I don't understand why anyone would write them off. If they do this right -- and that's a huge IF, but not improbable -- they can be right back in contention for the division in a year or two.

What really caught my attention is when you said the Texans won't contend for "a few more years at least." There's no question they have some issues to address. You mention some of them. It will take smart decisions and good drafting -- which isn't a given, by any means -- but I don't see why they'd be doomed to mediocrity for any stretch of time. They have great draft position now, and if they get rid of Schaub, Foster and Johnson (or at least renegotiate Johnson's deal), they'll have a ton of cap space in 2015. They should probably do something about Cushing's deal as well, to protect themselves.

I like their coaching choice, also. O'Brien seems like an open-minded and inclusive guy who can make the most out of a tough situation. He's good with young QBs, whoever the QB winds up being. Better QB play should help the line and the running game, and you can find backs easily. Deandre Hopkins looks like the real deal, and Keshawn Martin looks promising as a complementary receiver. Graham and Griffin look good at TE, maybe making Daniels expendable and creating more cap space.

Most importantly, they have playmakers on defense, both established and up-and-coming guys. JJ Watt is arguably the best defensive player in the league, so let's not sell him short. Antonio Smith is a free agent but he's a prototype for their defense (assuming they keep Wade Phillips, which he's said he's open to). Cushing is a question mark, but I wouldn't write him off. Mercilus is a good young pass rusher. Shiloh Keo improved as the year went on, Swearinger is a good prospect, and Jonathan Joseph is overpaid, but a good corner. Jeff Tarpinian did well after he took over for Joe Mays and Darryl Sharpton. 

I don't think their roster is bad at all. I think it's pretty good, mostly because they have difference makers at several positions. They are presumably about to make some significant changes, which will determine their course in the near future, but I don't understand why anyone would write them off. If they do this right -- and that's a huge IF, but not improbable -- they can be right back in contention for the division in a year or two.

Your right, they could be back into contention in less than 3 yrs., but that's just my opinion that it will take them that long to get there. I don't care too much for any QB in this draft and do not believe any of them are going to be difference makers. Bridgewater possibly could be the exception but I'm not sold because whenever he played higher level competition in college he didn't really have the success he did against bad teams. We can agree to disagree but their roster does not worry me at all.

Your right, they could be back into contention in less than 3 yrs., but that's just my opinion that it will take them that long to get there. I don't care too much for any QB in this draft and do not believe any of them are going to be difference makers. Bridgewater possibly could be the exception but I'm not sold because whenever he played higher level competition in college he didn't really have the success he did against bad teams. We can agree to disagree but their roster does not worry me at all.

The QB is the key, absolutely. I'm not sold on anyone in this draft, either, but they could do what the Chiefs did and find a stopgap veteran QB. Maybe even a young guy like Cousins, though I'm not sold on him, either.

I'm not necessarily "worried" about their roster, that's for sure. But people keep saying that their roster is horrible and they're years away from being able to contend, and I think that's a step too far.

Too risky IMO. There's going to be a run on QBs this year. We'll probably see Bridgewater, Carr, Bortles, and Manziel go in the top 10. Then you're stuck having to draft a guy like Tahj Boyd or AJ McCarron. 

Manziel shouldnt come out imo.  Too young, and too many QB's.  He could wait and be #1 next year.  I didnt think McCarron was that bad though.  I dont think a new QB is going to save them though.  Case Keenum can be a great QB for them, he has shown that he can do pretty dang well at times.  I say trade it away and go for something else.

The new head coach gives his new press conference today at 11 AM today 01-03-14. The reporters here say he wants a guy like Luck in physical build so maybe the UCF QB, but few if any say he would like Manziel. To me Manziel is a one hit wonder that will get squashed in the NFL unless he is a second Brees which I doubt. Bridgewater, maybe but he again is not the size the coach prefers.

Good luck with that... Bridgewater looked good in a mid-major conference. The guy hasn't been tested his whole time at Louisville. Complete? Not even close, and your Cleveland scout team will expose that. The guy is ALL hype.. Don't buy into it.

So when guys from Maryland and Miami of Ohio win Superbowls, how does the conference matter?

Drew Brees went to Purdue.

Joe Flacco Maryland

Ben Rothlesburger Miami of Ohio

Andy Dalton went to BYU

Alex Smith went to Utah

Projecting quarterbacks is probably the only position where the conference means absolutely nothing. Bridgewater is the best QB in this draft class. 

So when guys from Maryland and Miami of Ohio win Superbowls, how does the conference matter?

Drew Brees went to Purdue.

Joe Flacco Maryland

Ben Rothlesburger Miami of Ohio

Andy Dalton went to BYU

Alex Smith went to Utah

Projecting quarterbacks is probably the only position where the conference means absolutely nothing. Bridgewater is the best QB in this draft class.

Flacco went to Delaware and Dalton went to TCU. Dalton and Flacco have peaked. Flacco and BigBen BOTH went to two of the top defensive teams in the NFL. NEITHER are players you build a team around.

Alex Smith - game manager taken #1..

Oddly Drew Brees, who played in a tougher conference than ALL of those QB's, has a Rose Bowl victory and IS a top 3 QB. What a F'n coincidence.

Tom Brady? BIG Ten..

Peyton Manning? SEC

Aaron Rodgers? Pac 12 - who I think is the weakest of the big conferences.

The QBs you listed are all game managers at BEST and coincidentally from smaller schools. You don't think San Fran would like to go back and have that number one they wasted on Alex Smith? Or how about Houston with their pick of David Carr because he played great his senior year at Fresno?

Still think conferences don't matter? If you want a game manager, sure pick whatever decent QB you want, but if your wanting a true franchise QB the big conferences are the way to go especially if you're going to spend a top 5 pick.

Flacco went to Delaware and Dalton went to TCU. Dalton and Flacco have peaked. Flacco and BigBen BOTH went to two of the top defensive teams in the NFL. NEITHER are players you build a team around.

Oddly Drew Brees, who played in a tougher conference than ALL of those QB's, has a Rose Bowl victory and IS a top 3 QB. What a F'n coincidence.

Tom Brady? BIG Ten..

Peyton Manning? SEC

The QBs you listed are all game managers at BEST and coincidentally from smaller schools. You don't think San Fran would like to go back and have that number one they wasted on Alex Smith? Or how about Houston with their pick of David Carr because he played great his senior year at Fresno?

Still think conferences don't matter? If you want a game manager, sure pick whatever decent QB you want, but if your wanting a true franchise QB the big conferences are the way to go especially if you're going to spend a top 5 pick.

Roger Staubach

Terry Bradshaw

Phil Simms

Rich Gannon

Steve McNair

And Bridgwaters didn't? The secondaries in the BIG 12 are consistently some of the better secondaries in the country. You missed the point of that statement

No i didn't because it didn't make any sense. Geno didn't carve anyone up (which you seemed to be implying). He threw bubble screens and let his WRs do his work. 

The two aren't even comparable. 

No i didn't because it didn't make any sense. Geno didn't carve anyone up (which you seemed to be implying). He threw bubble screens and let his WRs do his work.

The two aren't even comparable.

Bubble screens were few and far between. Pettis and Austin ran a TON of rub routes and crossing patterns over the middle of the field. YAC was their intention but to

simply think bubble screens was all threw, nice try. Bridgewater has done nothing but throw these same exact routes the majoriry of his time at Louisville.. Parker, Copeland, and Perry have all been used in the same manner as Pettis and Austin were.

lmao, OUCJ

Tom Brady? BIG Ten..
Peyton Manning? SEC

OUCH on those gaffs hahaha, damn talk about brain fart.

Still conferences don't matter for QB's. Every other postiion it does.